Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-21-2009   #1
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mel Kiper's 1st Mock Draft...

Has the Texans selecting: Everette Brown, DE, Florida St. - 6'4" 252lbs

Here's the link:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/insi...ory?id=3849927

What I found surprising is that he doesn't have any Safeties going in the 1st. Good news for the Texans. Maybe William Moore or Louis Delmas will fall into laps in the 2nd. I've been impressed watching Delmas in the Senior Bowl practices. He wants to hit!
Old 01-21-2009   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mel Kiper's 1st Mock Draft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post

Here's the link:

What I found surprising is that he doesn't have any Safeties going in the 1st. Good news for the Texans. Maybe William Moore or Louis Delmas will fall into laps in the 2nd. I've been impressed watching Delmas in the Senior Bowl practices. He wants to hit!
I went to the Texas Bowl and flat out missed him ... ooops .
Old 01-21-2009   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Another link to Kiper's mock. I really don't see the OK State TE going that early (#11). The Texans would be very fortunate for the draft to break this way.
Old 01-21-2009   #4
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 7032 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected

Moore is dropping like a stone right now. Comments from the senior bowl is that a change to LB might be in his future so I'm not surprised he's no longer a first round pick. Look out for Chung besides Delmas to crrep into late first territory.

Picks I'm against or confused about:
3 Kansas City Mark Sanchez QB USC - They just broke the record for leat sacks in a season. DE should be a very high possibility. Plus Tighpen looked serviceable.
7 Oakland Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri - Too early
9 Green Bay Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio St. - With Capers as DC they're going to a 3-4; I would expect somebody for their front 7 to help the transition.
11 Buffalo Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St. - TE is a need but they probably need a DE more.
16 San Diego Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia - No way they're letting Sproles go after seeing Turner in Atlanta. Bigger needs than a replacement for LT.
17 New York Jets Percy Harvin WR Florida - I have no clue what he's thinking here. Harvin is probably a fringe first rounder and this is a team with solid WRs. They might go for a QB if they don't believe in Klemens. Otherwise CB is an option.
18 Chicago Tyson Jackson DE LSU - A 3-4 DE for a 4-3 team. Probably should be Michael Johnson
21 Philadelphia Chris "Beanie" Wells RB Ohio St. - Westbrook replacement not exactly a big priority yet.
23 New England Brian Cushing LB USC - Clint Sintim UVA played in a 3-4 is also graded by most as late first and would make the transition faster.
24 Atlanta Larry English DE/OLB No. Illinois - Second round prospect
25 Miami Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Mryland - Miami needs a lot of secondary help so CB would be more logical. Also their WRs are young but serviceable.
28 Philadelphia (from Carolina) Michael Oher OT Mississippi - Will not drop this far

Last edited by dsorc; 01-21-2009 at 09:51 PM.
dsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsorc View Post
Moore is dropping like a stone right now. Comments from the senior bowl is that a change to LB might be in his future so I'm not surprised he's no longer a first round pick. Look out for Chung besides Delmas to crrep into late first territory.

3 Kansas City Mark Sanchez QB USC - They just broke the record for leat sacks in a season. DE should be a very high possibility. Plus Tighpen looked serviceable.
9 Green Bay Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio St. - With Capers as DC they're going to a 3-4; I would expect somebody for their front 7 to help the transition.
11 Buffalo Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St. - TE is a need but they probably need a DE more.
16 San Diego Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia - No way they're letting Sproles go after seeing Turner in Atlanta. Bigger needs than a replacement for LT.
17 New York Jets Percy Harvin WR Florida - I have no clue what he's thinking here. Harvin is probably a fringe first rounder and this is a team with solid WRs. They might go for a QB if they don't believe in Klemens. Otherwise CB is an option.
18 Chicago Tyson Jackson DE LSU - A 3-4 DE for a 4-3 team. Probably should be Michael Johnson
21 Philadelphia Chris "Beanie" Wells RB Ohio St. - Westbrook replacement not exactly a big priority yet.
23 New England Brian Cushing LB USC - Clint Sintim UVA played in a 3-4 is also graded by most as late first and would make the transition faster.
25 Miami Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Mryland - Miami needs a lot of secondary help so CB would be more logical. Also their WRs are young but serviceable.
28 Philadelphia (from Carolina) Michael Oher OT Mississippi - Will not drop this far
Great review but I disagree only on Philly. Up until 2 years back Westbrook was an injury waiting to happen. He has been a stud without a doubt but is getting older and his health has been a late season concern most years. I think Wells is someone they can afford to plug in and take to have a combo.
Old 01-22-2009   #6
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post

Here's the link:

Where does he ahve Raji going???
mussop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #7
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Where does he ahve Raji going???
He has them going to Denver 12th overall.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2009   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
He has them going to Denver 12th overall.
Thats exactly what Im worried about. Denver and GreenBay switching to a 3/4 are both going to need someone in the middle to build their D's around.
mussop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #9
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Thats exactly what Im worried about. Denver and GreenBay switching to a 3/4 are both going to need someone in the middle to build their D's around.
Did Green Bay announce a change to the 3-4 defense? Just because they have Dom Capers doesn't mean they will be a 3-4 defense. He has coached 4-3 defenses as well.
Old 01-22-2009   #10
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Another link to Kiper's mock. I really don't see the OK State TE going that early (#11). The Texans would be very fortunate for the draft to break this way.
during Day 3 of the Senior Bowl practice, one of the guys said he had spoken to a scout who focuses just on the Big 12, and the scout had said Pettigrew was the best overall player coming out of the Big 12 this year. Not just offensive, but BPA.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #11
PhilpW
Irish-American

Rep Power: 349 PhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Did Green Bay announce a change to the 3-4 defense? Just because they have Dom Capers doesn't mean they will be a 3-4 defense. He has coached 4-3 defenses as well.
It was out yestrday that GB was going to run a base 3-4 but would throw in the occasional 4-3 look.
PhilpW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #12
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be good with Brown. I'm starting to think that another direction maybe taken in the first, but I have yet to convince myself that I'm sold on the idea.

For anybody who saw the whole mock, did Brian Cushing go in the 1st, if so where?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I obviously would like this very much.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #14
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Great review but I disagree only on Philly. Up until 2 years back Westbrook was an injury waiting to happen. He has been a stud without a doubt but is getting older and his health has been a late season concern most years. I think Wells is someone they can afford to plug in and take to have a combo.
I would add on to that comment I think Reid might be more inclined torun the ball more(which they need to) if they had someone they could trust to take the load off Westbrook.

I'm not sold on Mark Sanchez but I think it's possible some team will take the gamble on him being a good enough QB in the first.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree on Eagles and hope that encourages them to trade up with us to get the OT. Say our #15 and a 4th for their two 1s?
Old 01-22-2009   #16
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 7032 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I agree on Eagles and hope that encourages them to trade up with us to get the OT. Say our #15 and a 4th for their two 1s?
You're about 300 points short based on draft pick value charts. Would have to include our 3rd as well or make it 1st and 2nd for their two 1sts. However their earlier 1st, 3rd, and 5th could be done. Or one of theirs 1sts plus Lito.
dsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #17
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 1/22 mel Kiper Jr. has us taking.....

DE Everette Brown Florida State

Ill take him...

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #18
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1/22 mel Kiper Jr. has us taking.....

He's the best DE in the draft, I'd be thrilled if he fell to us but I'm not overly optomistic.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #19
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Cushing played at the following positions while at USC; DE, ILB, OLB and SS. I'm thinking if he can play all of those positions in Pete Carroll's D, he'll make a pretty smooth transition to the pros, regardless of what D the team that picks him plays.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1/22 mel Kiper Jr. has us taking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
He's the best DE in the draft, I'd be thrilled if he fell to us but I'm not overly optomistic.
I dunno if he's the best, but he appears to be atleast one of them and I to will be thrilled if we have a chance at him but I'm anxious about him lasting to #15.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read