Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-31-2008   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Today's McClain column in the Chronicle

Did any of you read his latest, Kubiak evolving into Texans head coach, in today's Chronicle?

There was a snippet in there that made me go, HUH!!!???

Quote:
Most head coaches have monster egos. Kubiak has an ego, of course, but his aw-shucks, these-are-my-kids approach to coaching is genuine. Except when it comes to injuries — all coaches lie about injuries, by the way — he’s usually honest to a fault. Those of us who cover him find that refreshing.
Like I said, HUH!!!??? Did I miss a boatload of memos or something? I'm of the opinion that Kubiak couldn't be forthright and honest about injuries if his life depended on it.

He did say something interesting about Kubiak regarding Mike Shanahan.

Quote:
Mike Shanahan, who was fired as Denver’s head coach on Tuesday, made a prediction after the Texans hired Kubiak, who was the Broncos’ offensive coordinator.

“Gary’s going to learn just like I had to learn and many of us have to learn,” Mike Shanahan said. “At first, he’ll want to do everything — coach the starting quarterback, call the plays — everything.

“At some point, he’s going to learn that there’s so much to worry about on game days — so many responsibilities that go with being a head coach — that you have to delegate. That’s why I finally turned over the play calling to Gary. It helped make me a better coach.”
I still can't believe they fired Mike Shanahan, just because of what happened at the end of this season. It was a knee-jerk decision what willl be regretted.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #2
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Today's McClain column in the Chronicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Did any of you read his latest, Kubiak evolving into Texans head coach, in today's Chronicle?

There was a snippet in there that made me go, HUH!!!???

Like I said, HUH!!!??? Did I miss a boatload of memos or something? I'm of the opinion that Kubiak couldn't be forthright and honest about injuries if his life depended on it.

He did say something interesting about Kubiak regarding Mike Shanahan.

I still can't believe they fired Mike Shanahan, just because of what happened at the end of this season. It was a knee-jerk decision what willl be regretted.
Strangely, before reading either your post, or McClain's article, I just posted about Kubiak's forthrightness in another thread. I think McClain's dead-on correct this time.
Old 12-31-2008   #3
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Strangely, before reading either your post, or McClain's article, I just posted about Kubiak's forthrightness in another thread. I think McClain's dead-on correct this time.
Actually, I just re-read your post, and I think you got McClain's position wrong. His comment was Kubiak is honest "Except when it comes to injuries".

Again, I agree, and frankly, if the Texans know what's going on in relation to the injuries (which I realize some have questioned), I think it's a good thing that nobody else knows what's happening in that regard.
Old 12-31-2008   #4
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Today's McClain column in the Chronicle

Quote:
Actually, I just re-read your post, and I think you got McClain's position wrong. His comment was Kubiak is honest "Except when it comes to injuries".

Again, I agree, and frankly, if the Texans know what's going on in relation to the injuries (which I realize some have questioned), I think it's a good thing that nobody else knows what's happening in that regard.

I said that in another thread. There are players who have played 1/2-entire season injured and we never heard about it.

Would it be wrong to make Little Shanni some off. coach and make Big Shanni OC? LOL.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #5
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

One case, out of many, particularly stands out. The game that AJ hurt his knee last year when Schaub hung him out to dry. . . they got the results back from the MRI on his knee, and I heard a reporter ask him point blank . . . "what did the MRI report say?" And he comes back with this, "Well, I'm just going to have to refer to the medical people" or some vague answer that had "evading" written all over it. He did that with Domanick Davis and many others.

Sorry, you can't be evasive and forthright at the same time.
Old 12-31-2008   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
One case, out of many, particularly stands out. The game that AJ hurt his knee last year when Schaub hung him out to dry. . . they got the results back from the MRI on his knee, and I heard a reporter ask him point blank . . . "what did the MRI report say?" And he comes back with this, "Well, I'm just going to have to refer to the medical people" or some vague answer that had "evading" written all over it. He did that with Domanick Davis and many others.

Sorry, you can't be evasive and forthright at the same time.
So you're agreeing with McClain!
Old 12-31-2008   #7
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Today's McClain column in the Chronicle

Quote:
Sadly, yes. But it is another Captain Obvious point, lol.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2008   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Aw damn, I just reread it . . . "EXCEPT when it comes to injuries".

My apologies.

Don't understand why coaches have to lie about injuries, though.
Old 12-31-2008   #9
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

My apologies.

So the other team has more to game plan for versus less. Kind of simple.
Old 12-31-2008   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I know I'm picking on the wrong part of your post, but the story is the Shanahan forced the owners hand, by not selling out his defensive coordinator
Old 12-31-2008   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The HC owes nothing to us fans or the media with regards to the status of his players' injuries.

It aggravates us to not know, but what purpose does it serve the team when they tip their cards to their opponents because some media wonk or griping fans demand information? Like specnatz mentioned, it is part of the strategy of the game.

The Texans are notorious for downplaying serious injuries, though. But that's more of a FO angle to me, not the HC. This organization has done that through two regimes, starting with Boselli.
Old 12-31-2008   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he's just flat out honest most of the time period. I love that about him. You can tell he just hates to say anything if it's not dead on true. Thats why he says so little sometimes.

As far as Shanahan, I think their defense was destroyed by injuries and it was a mistake to fire him. At the same time, after 15 years I could understand wanting to go a different direction but it's a mistake.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #13
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

My apologies.

If you had a sore ankle or knee or ribs would you want that to be common knowledge so the Finnegans and Jared Allens of the league can draw a bulls-eye on it?

I wouldn't.

Or if you were on defense and weren't 100%, would you want the other guys' offensive coordinator targeting you every other play?

No coach wants any potential weakness revealed
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If you had a sore ankle or knee or ribs would you want that to be common knowledge so the Finnegans and Jared Allens of the league can draw a bulls-eye on it?

I wouldn't.

Or if you were on defense and weren't 100%, would you want the other guys' offensive coordinator targeting you every other play?

No coach wants any potential weakness revealed
That's perfectly understandable for a player that will be in the next game. But if a player has to have an MRI done to find out the extent of damage to a knee, I don't see what the issue is.
Old 12-31-2008   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think it was a mistake to fire Shanny Sr.

I actually wondered how long the guy was going to be able to survive the axe, and I figured he'd get by again somehow.

It was time, IMO. Sometimes familiarity really does breed contempt.

I think he takes a year off, makes the TV circuit like all former iconic coaches, and he'll get offers next off-season.

Maybe he'll have time to mentor and give advice to his son. I kinda' like the idea of Kyle and dad getting together and going over plays and strategy, etc.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read