Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2008   #141
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So who wants Kubiak fired, and why?

I have said it from the beginning: Kubes needs to get his nose out of the plays and let Shanny Jr. call the game.

As head coach he needs to manage the clock, time outs, refs, and players.
Old 12-30-2008   #142
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
I have said it from the beginning: Kubes needs to get his nose out of the plays and let Shanny Jr. call the game.

As head coach he needs to manage the clock, time outs, refs, and players.
The SportsRadio 610 guys asked Kubiak about that during yesterday's Kubiak show. He wouldn't come right out and say it, but I think we'll see more of him letting Kyle call the plays next year and him being more head coach and less defensive coordinator. Kubiak even admitted that playcalling - when he was immersed in it - sometimes got personal and the other phases of being a head coach suffered for it. I think we just saw another step in the Kubiak maturation process.

As someone who had to turn over a previous position in order to move up, I know how hard it is to let go of something you've been doing for a good, long while and was pretty good at doing and turn it over to a successor; moving out of one's comfort zone ain't easy. It was hard not to step in - still is sometimes - because you see things that should be done and know how you'd do them. I still have to remind myself "that's not your job anymore, let him handle it". Its a control freak thing.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #143
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The SportsRadio 610 guys asked Kubiak about that during yesterday's Kubiak show. He wouldn't come right out and say it, but I think we'll see more of him letting Kyle call the plays next year and him being more head coach and less defensive coordinator. Kubiak even admitted that playcalling - when he was immersed in it - sometimes got personal and the other phases of being a head coach suffered for it. I think we just saw another step in the Kubiak maturation process.

As someone who had to turn over a previous position in order to move up, I know how hard it is to let go of something you've been doing for a good, long while and was pretty good at doing and turn it over to a successor; moving out of one's comfort zone ain't easy. It was hard not to step in - still is sometimes - because you see things that should be done and know how you'd do them. I still have to remind myself "that's not your job anymore, let him handle it". Its a control freak thing.
I think that's exactly what it is with Gary. You summed it up perfectly.

He has been calling the plays for so long, and he's having a hard time letting it go. It's natural. But if he has come right out and stated that Kyle called all the plays, you can bet that there has been a realization by Gary that he knows he's going to have to trust Kyle with that role.

Makes you wonder what might have been, had Gary chosen at the start of the season to let Kyle do what he was hired to do. It must have been a constant struggle between them all season, with the last game being the "Alright, here ya' go. You call the shots, Kyle" sort of deal.

So now we have closure on offense. What the crap has been going on in the defense? What's the story behind our two-faced defensive playcalling? There's an issue there: On our winning streak, we were aggressive...at Oakland it looked like it had in the past. And then vs. Bears it was back to being aggressive again.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #144
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Kinda off-topic, but I was under the assumption Gibbs had signed a two year contract. Kubiak said his contract was up in Febuary. WTF is up with that?

The Oline is NOT finished yet, Gibbs! Go home and get your rest, then get your ass back here to re-sign another deal. Dadgummit!!
Old 12-30-2008   #145
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Kinda off-topic, but I was under the assumption Gibbs had signed a two year contract. Kubiak said his contract was up in Febuary. WTF is up with that?

The Oline is NOT finished yet, Gibbs! Go home and get your rest, then get your ass back here to re-sign another deal. Dadgummit!!
Yeah, I heard that too. I got a feeling the Angry Cherokee will be back for at least one more year. I think it was Rhodes that Kubiak said was under contract - as a consultant - for two years.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #146
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Here's your thread to get it all out on the head coach. Keep this thread about Kubiak and Kubiak only.
This is one silly thread and I can't believe it has gone this long
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #147
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

Hell, I'll even pitch in on the extra oxygen tanks and IV's if I have to.
Old 12-30-2008   #148
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Hell, I'll even pitch in on the extra oxygen tanks and IV's if I have to.
I'd pitch in on the purchase of a pimped out golf cart he could truck around in during camps.

Either way, the sawed-off little firecracker needs to finish his job.
Old 12-30-2008   #149
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I have one question before I cast my "yay" or "nay" in support of Kubiak:

Will Bill Parcells be available next year for our GM position?
If the team sells he's due to get a twelve million dollar buy out. My guess....this team is his baby. He's built it literally from scratch. Twelve million or not....Parcells has money. I doubt he walks away and pitches his baby onto the side walk in the rain watchin other people stomp it to death.

I don't think he could stand that. Not even for 12 mill.

If I'm a gazillion heir buying a franchise, I give the guy a very small chunk of the team for him to stay.

But ,...........he does have the clause in the contract.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-30-2008 at 10:53 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #150
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Just thought of something else. Highly unlikely that Parcells comes here....but the irony of it would be we would then have a 3-4 GM picking players for a four three WCO GURU. The exact opposite of what we had when we started with Capers and Casserly. Come full circle as it were on the road to mediocrity.

Some might hunger for that I suppose.
Old 12-30-2008   #151
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144347 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

I hope it's true that they give Mini Shanny the offense more next season because I have to say I was impressed with the way the offense moved the ball AND CONVERTED IN THE RZ in that last game.

If Kubes can relent on feeling the need to be the OC during games, then perhaps he is learning and can work on the things a HC is responsible for, like preparation and making good in-game decisions and clock management.

I still want him fired, but I'm relenting a little.

I will be less grumbly going into next season if we seek out a DC from outside the organization. I'm not at all convinced that promoting Bush is a good idea and I really believe we need new blood and a new attitude on the defensive coaching side. But only three folks were fired today, so I'm getting that sinking feeling that we're going to promote from within. Sigh.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #152
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88648 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I hope it's true that they give Mini Shanny the offense more next season because I have to say I was impressed with the way the offense moved the ball AND CONVERTED IN THE RZ in that last game.

If Kubes can relent on feeling the need to be the OC during games, then perhaps he is learning and can work on the things a HC is responsible for, like preparation and making good in-game decisions and clock management.

I still want him fired, but I'm relenting a little.

I will be less grumbly going into next season if we seek out a DC from outside the organization. I'm not at all convinced that promoting Bush is a good idea and I really believe we need new blood and a new attitude on the defensive coaching side. But only three folks were fired today, so I'm getting that sinking feeling that we're going to promote from within. Sigh.
Agreed. Another good post from you Illiijen. You're on a roll. If only we could carry this onto the political threads.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #153
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144347 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Agreed. Another good post from you Illiijen. You're on a roll. If only we could carry this onto the political threads.
You just need to come to the dark side of godless progressiveness.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #154
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
This is one silly thread and I can't believe it has gone this long
I don't think it's been a silly one at all, and I would say that even if I hadn't created it. Thsi thread was one of those (or at least I hadn't intended it to be) typical knee-jerk "Fire Kubiak" threads that we all expect everytime the team loses. I created it after the season was over, and more importantly, after they WON.

I wanted feedback about just how everyone felt about Kubiak himself . . . those conditions.

And it's been a fantastic read. Thanks everyone for particapating.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #155
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks everyone for particapating.
I usually don't particapate in public.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #156
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I usually don't particapate in public.
Jeeez, can't spell worth a dang.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #157
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jeeez, can't spell worth a dang.
I'm just as bad. But I couldn't leave that one alone. LOL

No offense intended.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read