Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-29-2008   #1
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Super Mario's December Texans Mock

No trades, just straight picks at the 15th spot in each round. I am assuming we sign Nnamdi Asomugha and am using the GBND top 100 to cherry pick the top 3 rounds. After that I just pick whomever.

Round1: Taylor Mays, FS, USC. With freakish size and speed he is a prime candidate to get our secondary up to par.

Round2: Everette Bown, DE, Florida State. I know, I know, you think he will be gone first round. But at this point GBND thinks he is a 2nd rounder. But what a steal if he fell here.

Round3: Max Unger, OC, Oregon. At 6'5" and 300 LBS he has the size to hold up the point of attack, and is not so heavy that he cannot get to the 2nd level.

Round4: Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty. The Giants took a chance on Brandon Jacobs and it worked out pretty well.

Round5: Roy Miller, DT, Texas. Solid player who dominated the LOS this year. A big reason that Texas' D was still great when Orakpo went out. Should eventually be a 3 round pick.

Round6: Cedrick Dockery, OG, Texas. Derrick is a monster and his brother is pretty good too.

Round7: John Parker Wilson, QB, Alabama. Shorter than you would like, but a 3 year starter in the SEC. Just a backup for life, but thats normally what you get in round 5-7, unless you strike gold.

Yes, I am a longhorn fan, and feel more comfortable picking a couple players I know about. Let me know what you think.

Also, yes, players will rise and fall in the draft, but right now this is where I see them.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario's December Texans Mock

I'd be thrilled with an offseason like that. BUT... highly doubtful we get Asomugha, Mays is still a possibility in the 1st but New Orleans and Denver pick in front of us, I highly doubt Brown is at our spot in the 2nd round (don't care what GBN says) plus he's more of a 3-4 OLB. Rest of the draft with Jennings, Unger, etc. I would be pleased with.

Plus if you go by exactly where GBN has their players ranked (not projected), you have to account for the juniors that won't declare (like Tebow?) so Brown wouldn't be available on that basis.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I highly doubt Brown is at our spot in the 2nd round (don't care what GBN says) plus he's more of a 3-4 OLB.
I dunno, but Mathis @ Indy plays in the 4-3 and he's < 250 & Freeney isn't that much bigger.
We all know that because of Marios size he's really a strong-side guy which should give us the flexibility (and the luxury) to use a smaller guy in the 250-260 range at weakside DE ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be hesitant taking a failry one-deminsional guy early in the draft... the one big exception is Pass Rusher and that's what this guy is. He's not that stout against the run and I think we'd see MJD/Taylor, CJ/White and Addai running all over us to that side. With all that said, he might be the best pass rusher in the draft and that's something we could really really use.
Old 12-29-2008   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

That's a cool draft but I think you have to get an outside linebacker at some point.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #6
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
That's a cool draft but I think you have to get an outside linebacker at some point.
Good point. Are you wanting to replace a starter, or just for depth?
Old 12-29-2008   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Good point. Are you wanting to replace a starter, or just for depth?
Man, I really wish we could get a NT like Raji AND a pass rusher like Brown. (shoot and a S like Mays... LOL).

I'm worried about Diles injury. I love Adibi and Demeco together but I don't know how Diles is going to come back to full strength so soon. I like having Bentley and Diles as backups that could both come in at MLB or SLB in a pinch. I'd like to see a starting LB over Diles even though he's played well this year.

It's hard to peg what would be the wisest move for us to make: NT/DE/OLB/S etc. I think we'll have some options at #15 if we stay there. Probably take the highest rated player we have of these unless a superstar falls to us.

One thing about picking up a LB too early though, is on passing downs he may leave the field so an extra safety or corner could come in. That would mean either Adibi or the new LB wouldn't be out there (whichever is worse in pass coverage). Maybe an OLB like Curry would force Adibi out in this situation.
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2008   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Man, I really wish we could get a NT like Raji AND a pass rusher like Brown. (shoot and a S like Mays... LOL).
I dunno but I thought you were "Ole Miss", like in Miss U ? If so why didn't you plug Peria Jerry who's the best looking DT I've seen this year ? Or is it that he's too much of a one-gapper and not a NT-type ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see us picking up Mays unless a new DC comes in. I like Brown but not sure he'll be there in the second...would be awesome though. I do like Unger and it would be a great upgrade for the interior of the OL. Rest of the draft looks good. John Parker Wilson might well be a Kubiak kind of player at QB. Not spectacular but good leadership skills and tested in the SEC.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #10
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I don't see us picking up Mays unless a new DC comes in.
Well lets hope both come true!
Old 12-29-2008   #11
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm predicting a trade down and getting more picks.
Old 12-29-2008   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 141004 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a pretty optimistic draft which means being critical is like complaining that the Victoria's Secrets models can't cook .
Old 12-29-2008   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Miller as a late pick and would not mind late round flyers on Melton or Cosby, as well from UT. Cosby will make a terrific pro WR for about 8-10 years, much like Derrick Mason in my opinion.
Old 12-29-2008   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I dunno but I thought you were "Ole Miss", like in Miss U ? If so why didn't you plug Peria Jerry who's the best looking DT I've seen this year ? Or is it that he's too much of a one-gapper and not a NT-type ?
Same here, he looks outstanding. At this point in time he's already better than TJ and Amobi but Amobi has more upside, i think. My thoughts are that we need a big NT to start next to Amobi and have TJ, while he's still here, as the back up. Jerry is too similar to Amobi's style of play.
Old 12-29-2008   #15
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Same here, he looks outstanding. At this point in time he's already better than TJ and Amobi but Amobi has more upside, i think. My thoughts are that we need a big NT to start next to Amobi and have TJ, while he's still here, as the back up. Jerry is too similar to Amobi's style of play.
I agree with you on this. Why is so hard for people to get that the DTs are no longer equal, one is called the NT and one is called the Under Tackle or DT. They play different techniques and call for different skills.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #16
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans are looking to draft a QB then I would hope we get Rhett Bomar
Old 12-29-2008   #17
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Your first 3 picks are all possible first rounders.

I wouldn't mind Mays in the first. Some people knock him for lack of production, but last time I checked Asomugha isn't tops in the league in INTs.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #18
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77963 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

As an offensive guy I don't know if I could pass up having Jeremy Macllin next to AJ for years to come.

Hopefully Andre Smith will slide down after his suspension and cause so good guys to fall with him
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post

Round1: Taylor Mays, FS, USC.

Round2: Everette Bown, DE, Florida State.

Round3: Max Unger, OC, Oregon.

Round4: Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty.

Round5: Roy Miller, DT, Texas.

Round6: Cedrick Dockery, OG, Texas.

Round7: John Parker Wilson, QB, Alabama.
I don't think this is a possible draft, and here is why with a few quick notes. First, you don't get to cherry pick. That is done the day after. Teams can't cherry pick. Mays would be a good pick. Brown would be a good pick at that range, though he will be a 3-4 OLB. Brown is, by all indications, going to go higher than that. Pretty much everyone else you have listed will go a round or so earlier than you have down. Also, Wilson will go higher than Round 7. He's a proven SEC QB from a successful program with a great coach.

I guess it just irks me that you call this a Texans mock. Call it a wish list, or a dream draft, or a cherry pickers fantasy. It kind of demeans what some of us actually try to do every year. It demeans what I hope to do for a living.
Old 12-29-2008   #20
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
As an offensive guy I don't know if I could pass up having Jeremy Macllin next to AJ for years to come.

Hopefully Andre Smith will slide down after his suspension and cause so good guys to fall with him
Frail. Injured. Poor routes. Average hands. Mizzou education (big knock in my books). Short. At best he's Devin Hester as a WR, and I mean that he will take 4 years or so to develop as a #2 WR. Until then, you have a first round return man. Think of it like Reggie Bush, just not anywhere near as good of a WR. It's funny, Maclin might be a better RB and Bush is a better WR. Why would you spend a first round pick on a slightly more talented/developed Jacoby Jones. Why would you spend first round money on another WR. That type of money means he has to see the field.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read