Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 12-27-2008   #301
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79638 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Titans are a classless team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar The Titan View Post
I don't understand why that 6 year old argument is suppossed to hold up. That is ample time to build a winner.

Tennessee was playoff caliber in 2003 and prior to that. Over 2004 and 2005 they won 9 games, had their rosters implode and lost practically everyone they made their playoff run with... at least the veterans. Over 2006 they broke the .500 mark then turned the corner in 2007 making the playoffs. Now in 2008 they have the best record in football. To be able to go from one of the worst teams in football to the best in four years is a testament that Houston should be good by now.
How long were Carolina and the Jags each in the league before they made the playoffs?

Answer: Carolina - year 2 - made conf. championship
Answer: Jax - Year 2 - made wildcard with 9-7 record, also made playoffs following 3 seasons as well...

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008   #302
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
How long were Carolina and the Jags each in the league before they made the playoffs?

Answer: Carolina - year 2 - made conf. championship
Answer: Jax - Year 2 - made wildcard with 9-7 record, also made playoffs following 3 seasons as well...
They made it more difficult for the Texans and Browns to put a team together just because of those 2 expansion teams. Apples and oranges but yeah we should have a winner by now but it was dwarfed by the 3 C's, Casserly,Capers, and Carr.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008   #303
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79638 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
They made it more difficult for the Texans and Browns to put a team together just because of those 2 expansion teams. Apples and oranges but yeah we should have a winner by now but it was dwarfed by the 3 C's, Casserly,Capers, and Carr.
IIRC, the Jags and Panthers were given an extra draft pick per round in their first drafts?

Old 12-27-2008   #304
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128746 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't understand why that 6 year old argument is suppossed to hold up. That is ample time to build a winner.

Tennessee was playoff caliber in 2003 and prior to that. Over 2004 and 2005 they won 9 games, had their rosters implode and lost practically everyone they made their playoff run with... at least the veterans. Over 2006 they broke the .500 mark then turned the corner in 2007 making the playoffs. Now in 2008 they have the best record in football. To be able to go from one of the worst teams in football to the best in four years is a testament that Houston should be good by now.
Yeah you're right. The Titans didn't have an established organization. They had to hire a GM, head coach, coordinators, and various staff so that the new Owner Bud Adams would be well prepared to face the rigors of the NFL. NO WAIT when Bud Adams had a FLEDGELING team it was in the old American Football League and the NFL were teams like the Bears, Packers and Cleveland rams. Wasn't the year 1960? I believe it was! Bud's NFL franchise came into existence after the merger of the AFL and NFL so please don't give me the whole "The Titans built a team in no time flat" bull$h:t because it won't fly.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008   #305
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128746 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nah, not arrogance, but there's a definate chip on some shoulders. And for the record, NO ONE ON THE PLANET are bigger douchebags than Cowboy fans. They are in a class/planet of their own. Case closed.
Note to all the Cowboy fans in here who frequently accuse me of being the catalyst to most anti Cowboy/cowboy fan sentiment in here...I didn't write the comment in quotation marks here...translation...SEE it's NOT just me!

Respectfully,

Sir Dreadford Headington KBE, BMF, USMC, KKK (don't ask), YMCA, MC-DJ, WKRP (...in Cinicinati)
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"

Last edited by Dread-Head; 12-27-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #306
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IIRC, the Jags and Panthers were given an extra draft pick per round in their first drafts?
I don't remember all the particulars but they both had a lot of advantages that no other expansion teams had. Because of their quick success the NFL made a bunch of changes so that wouldn't happen again. Both the new Browns and Texans paid for that.

However I agree that the Texans have had ample time to build a winner. Though with any expansion team the Texans are dealing with a rookie owner who made some early mistakes, the most notably being Charlie Casserly, Dom Capers, and David Carr.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #307
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

both teams had almost full access to all NFL team rosters plus the extra pick, hence unfair advantage that is no longer used.
Old 12-28-2008   #308
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 25097 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Let's take the Patriots and move them lock, stock and barrel to Nebraska, build them a new stadium. How long will it take them to have a winning season?

Prpbably not long either as they will have the same owner, coaches and players as you did when you moved to Tennessee.

Building as franchise from scratch usually takes a while. Even the Patriots suffered through years of mediocrity before they started winning on a regular basis.

It takes the right combination of GM, Scouting and coaches. If one or mores part are bad then it takes several more years to get it right. Casserly and Capers did a good job of leaving us where we were when they started - with the exception of a few good players.
Old 12-28-2008   #309
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
Let's take the Patriots and move them lock, stock and barrel to Nebraska, build them a new stadium. How long will it take them to have a winning season?

Prpbably not long either as they will have the same owner, coaches and players as you did when you moved to Tennessee.

Building as franchise from scratch usually takes a while. Even the Patriots suffered through years of mediocrity before they started winning on a regular basis.

It takes the right combination of GM, Scouting and coaches. If one or mores part are bad then it takes several more years to get it right. Casserly and Capers did a good job of leaving us where we were when they started - with the exception of a few good players.
Normally, this post is 100% correct. The Titans are a bit of an anomoly.

1) Normally when a franchise goes tits up performance-wise, the coach is toast. Fisher bucked this trend. The team benefited bigtime from him not getting the axe.

2) The Titans have had some higher picks go to waste (Pacman, Woolfolk, Chris Henry, Tyrone Calico, VY) yet they hit so much on middle and late rounders (Roos, Stewart, Finnegan, Hayes) as well as finding players in the scrap heap (Collins, Tony Brown, David Ball) that it negates the bigtime busts. Most teams would never be able to survive such huge busts on draftday. They have had some success (Griffin, Johnson) so not every first rounder was terrible.

I'm just dumbfounded how the Titans had these misses and actually became a better team. Kinda like the Pats losing Bledsoe and becoming a world champ x 3.

3) Steady decisionmaking with no panic moves. Unlike Jerry Jones, Jeffrey Lurie, hell the entire NFC East minus the Giants, the Titans don't panic when free agents start signing ridiculous contracts. I remember the Titans boards just losing it when Nate Clements signed a sick contract with SF 2 years ago. Same with Assante Samuel and Berrian last year. Steady teams like the Titans recognized that these players were way overvalued and would not only not improve the team, but would likely rock the boat due to their contracts making other players mad. Same for the Roy Williams trade by Jerry Jones. It accomplished zilch for a dysfunctional team and they will regret it bigtime come draftday, which is showing signs of being a sweet as hell first round.

4) The players the Titans did target were better fits. Chris Hope, David Thornton, Justin Gage, Alge Crumpler and Jake Scott have all proven to be decent to terrific moves, and none were huge deals.

I will say this. The Titans blueprint to 13-2 this year is one of the strangest ones I've ever seen. I am wondering if the team just caught lightning in a bottle, and need to cash in this year while the getting is good. But when I look at the nucleus, the team is young. The only position that I would call 'aging' is LB, where Bulluck and Thornton could use their heir(s).

I was really worried about losing Haynesworth, but after the Steelers game, the team may have another hit on the hands in Jason Jones, a player I remember saying "Who the hell is that" on draft day when I was praying they would trade up and grab DeSean Jackson.

Old 12-28-2008   #310
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

and thats when the Bud Adams curse kicks in.....obviously you havent read the history books.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #311
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Normally, this post is 100% correct. The Titans are a bit of an anomoly.

1) Normally when a franchise goes tits up performance-wise, the coach is toast. Fisher bucked this trend. The team benefited bigtime from him not getting the axe.

2) The Titans have had some higher picks go to waste (Pacman, Woolfolk, Chris Henry, Tyrone Calico, VY) yet they hit so much on middle and late rounders (Roos, Stewart, Finnegan, Hayes) as well as finding players in the scrap heap (Collins, Tony Brown, David Ball) that it negates the bigtime busts. Most teams would never be able to survive such huge busts on draftday. They have had some success (Griffin, Johnson) so not every first rounder was terrible.

I'm just dumbfounded how the Titans had these misses and actually became a better team. Kinda like the Pats losing Bledsoe and becoming a world champ x 3.

3) Steady decisionmaking with no panic moves. Unlike Jerry Jones, Jeffrey Lurie, hell the entire NFC East minus the Giants, the Titans don't panic when free agents start signing ridiculous contracts. I remember the Titans boards just losing it when Nate Clements signed a sick contract with SF 2 years ago. Same with Assante Samuel and Berrian last year. Steady teams like the Titans recognized that these players were way overvalued and would not only not improve the team, but would likely rock the boat due to their contracts making other players mad. Same for the Roy Williams trade by Jerry Jones. It accomplished zilch for a dysfunctional team and they will regret it bigtime come draftday, which is showing signs of being a sweet as hell first round.

4) The players the Titans did target were better fits. Chris Hope, David Thornton, Justin Gage, Alge Crumpler and Jake Scott have all proven to be decent to terrific moves, and none were huge deals.

I will say this. The Titans blueprint to 13-2 this year is one of the strangest ones I've ever seen. I am wondering if the team just caught lightning in a bottle, and need to cash in this year while the getting is good. But when I look at the nucleus, the team is young. The only position that I would call 'aging' is LB, where Bulluck and Thornton could use their heir(s).

I was really worried about losing Haynesworth, but after the Steelers game, the team may have another hit on the hands in Jason Jones, a player I remember saying "Who the hell is that" on draft day when I was praying they would trade up and grab DeSean Jackson.
I hate the Titans but you have good takes and that was a good post. Rep.

Now I hope that Bud curse kicks in!

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #312
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
I hate the Titans but you have good takes and that was a good post. Rep.

Now I hope that Bud curse kicks in!
Thanks and understand on the Bud thing. I want the damn ring despite that mofo.

Old 12-28-2008   #313
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Keep hanging your hat on that, it's all you got. We'll move on to bigger and better things, like watching my youngsters plant Big Ben all game and clinch homefield.

How did your followup go?
How Did YOUR followup go ?

(Just ribbing ya Toronto)
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #314
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
How Did YOUR followup go ?

(Just ribbing ya Toronto)
I knew the game would be flag football, but man I'm not used to Fisher going that easy in a game. Not sure how I feel about it.

I did re-discover that VY is an absolute mess. The kid just has no football IQ.

Old 12-29-2008   #315
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Quote:
I did re-discover that VY is an absolute mess. The kid just has no football IQ.
Yeah ... I had forgot how bad he is. It is indescribable at times. You are playing a #2 D. These guys you should light up especially with your legs and you drop that egg. The sooner we can move past the Young 'era' the better.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #316
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

this season has to be a wake up call for vince.. No going back to UT , no bars in austin.. He should be moving into Heimerdinger's guest house for the offseason, with a big screen tv with game film on it (with closed caption on to0)

Turning point for Vince and his career ..
Old 12-29-2008   #317
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Bud isn't going to give up on Vince too easily. He doesn't want all that egg on his face since getting Vince was his idea to start off with. He drafted Vince to "stick it to Houston" and the Laniers (Mrs. Lanier was actively lobbying for the Texans to draft VY and I understand that Bud was quite aware of that). Everyone remember what Bud's first move with VY was? He put him on his private jet and brought him back to Houston (not Nashville) to show him off.

VY is a pawn in Bud's personal vendetta war against Houston. Because of that I don't see Bud giving up on him anytime soon. Bud should just be happy that he got some limited satisfaction after that first game in Reliant when Vince was running around like a jackass pumping his chest saying "this is my house". The ones who are going to pay in the long run are the Titans coaches and their fans, not the intended target.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #318
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Bud isn't going to give up on Vince too easily. He doesn't want all that egg on his face since getting Vince was his idea to start off with. He drafted Vince to "stick it to Houston" and the Laniers (Mrs. Lanier was actively lobbying for the Texans to draft VY and I understand that Bud was quite aware of that). Everyone remember what Bud's first move with VY was? He put him on his private jet and brought him back to Houston (not Nashville) to show him off.

VY is a pawn in Bud's personal vendetta war against Houston. Because of that I don't see Bud giving up on him anytime soon. Bud should just be happy that he got some limited satisfaction after that first game in Reliant when Vince was running around like a jackass pumping his chest saying "this is my house". The ones who are going to pay in the long run are the Titans coaches and their fans, not the intended target.

Old 12-29-2008   #319
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post

very true Hook 'em
Old 12-29-2008   #320
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 118233 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Mother of Pearl! That's a very disturbing picture. Neg Rep!

BTW, I agree with Hookem. It's nice to see the vendetta he has against Houston blowing up in his face.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read