Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-15-2008   #21
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFLDC Mock Draft Update (12/15)

Mays is probably the last true talent in the first round, with the rest being basically a part of a deep 2nd-4th round talent group.

A trade down to get Raji and a good S like Rashad Johnson would be great
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #22
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Mays is probably the last true talent in the first round, with the rest being basically a part of a deep 2nd-4th round talent group.

A trade down to get Raji and a good S like Rashad Johnson would be great
Assuming some key underclassmen declare this will be one of the best, and deepest first rounds in recent memory.

To use a measuring stick:

In 2007 Scouts Inc graded 7 players 95 or better and just 18 92 or better.
In 2008 Scouts Inc grades 13 players 95 or better, and 26 92 or better, with some guys like Mays, and Rashad Johnson missing.
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #23
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Scott has us picking at 12 and taking Taylor Mays.

Remember, the draft order are not where he thinks team will end up, but from an accumulation of power rankings. So don't get PO about us being at 12.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

Honestly, I see us on the other half of the draft order by the time it's all said and done. somewhere like 18-22. Two guys I would love to take in that area(in Scott's mock) is William Moore or Tyson Jackson.

After watching yesterday game though, I think OLB will be ok for us. Bentley can be our stop-gap for next year, incase Diles can't come back healthy. Adibi will be fine after an off-season program to increase size/strength.

I think our Biggest need that we need to fix in the 1st round is S or DE. After watching Ferguson getting toasted all day long yesterday, I'm leaning towards S.

btw, for the Aaron Curry fans, the guy has him going #3 overall in his mock. Too bad because I wanted him too.
Well, Moore can't tackle and Jackson is exactly what we have there now...slew footed without a first step. Move up move down...don't settle for mediocrity.
Over the last forty years the Denver Broncos have taken a saftey high exactly twice . And only once in the first round. that there thingy is more than just a trend.

Not mocking the ranking....Mayock has Curry rated as his number one senior coming out.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-16-2008 at 01:19 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #24
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be shocked when the Texans pick and they have their choice of all but 1 DE, if they don't take a DE.
Old 12-19-2008   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the radio guys were talking about Arakpo being available at 18. That shocked me. I have him going in top 10 easy. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 12-19-2008   #26
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
One of the radio guys were talking about Arakpo being available at 18. That shocked me. I have him going in top 10 easy. Hope I'm wrong.
That would be nice .
Old 12-19-2008   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

They mentioned two other guys going after Orakpo but I did not catch names. One was supposedly a pure get to the QB with no other skills and the other was who the radio guy was pushing as he was a more all around DE that could be there at 24 (outside range of where he said Texans could draft.)
Old 12-19-2008   #28
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They mentioned two other guys going after Orakpo but I did not catch names. One was supposedly a pure get to the QB with no other skills and the other was who the radio guy was pushing as he was a more all around DE that could be there at 24 (outside range of where he said Texans could draft.)
Probably George Selvie then Everrette Brown?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #29
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Selvie is the same type of player as Brown. Maybe a step slower.

I would think the first guy is E.Brown, and the second is M.Johnson, or G.Hardy.
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008   #30
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Selvie is the same type of player as Brown. Maybe a step slower.

I would think the first guy is E.Brown, and the second is M.Johnson, or G.Hardy.
Johnson's a beast but tends to disappear for a series or two. if the FO decides to go DE i say why not get the best? move up and get your hands on Orakpo. i know it's sketchy but have you ever seen that guy's arms? holy *******.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #31
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Watched the South Florida game. They said that Selvie has been battling a foot injury. I could live with either guy. That's the difference between Orakpo , Brown and Selvie. They play hurt. Micheal Johnson gets close to a play ...he comes out of the game for a blow on he bench. Anyone taking MJ in the first is rolling the dice on potential. hope it isn't us.
Old 12-21-2008   #32
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Scott has us picking at 12 and taking Taylor Mays.

Remember, the draft order are not where he thinks team will end up, but from an accumulation of power rankings. So don't get PO about us being at 12.
For those who are keeping track, the Texans are currently in the #12 slot.
Old 12-23-2008   #33
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we can develope a bonifide pass rush that puts qb's(ala Peyton Manning) on their backside, then thats what we should draft for. If Peyton Manning has all day to throw the ball, then I don't care who you have as your db's or safety, Peyton will pick you apart(remember we play Peyton twice) ...Thats why I feel we need a pass rusher opposite of Mario Williams that will help if anything, disrupt Peytons timing and allow for turnovers and sacks. If we can beat Peyton we can pretty much beat all.
rarazz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #34
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Signs you need a better pass rush: Oakland's QB and WR's school you all day long.

Goes back to OL/DL/S for me. If all the top LT/OG's and DT/DE's are gone I'd take Taylor Mays if he's there. We're still looking to complete the trenches on both sides of the ball.
Old 12-24-2008   #35
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarazz00 View Post
If we can develop a bonifide pass rush that puts qb's(ala Peyton Manning) on their backside, then thats what we should draft for. If Peyton Manning has all day to throw the ball, then I don't care who you have as your db's or safety, Peyton will pick you apart(remember we play Peyton twice) ...Thats why I feel we need a pass rusher opposite of Mario Williams that will help if anything, disrupt Peyton's timing and allow for turnovers and sacks. If we can beat Peyton we can pretty much beat all.
Manning needs a baby. That'd get him out of the film room. Starting to worry about that boy. Wondering if the wife is just a beard.

You're not going to get to manning around the corner. He gets rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds. You can't beat that. That's what we drafted Amobi for. Still waiting.
Old 12-24-2008   #36
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Signs you need a better pass rush: Oakland's QB and WR's school you all day long.

Goes back to OL/DL/S for me. If all the top LT/OG's and DT/DE's are gone I'd take Taylor Mays if he's there. We're still looking to complete the trenches on both sides of the ball.
Thought it was kind of funny we lose Diles, we're still O.K. We lose Diles and Adibi....we're in the outhouse. Might just be a coincidence.
Old 12-24-2008   #37
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Some how I see Brown and Selvie being more of the 3-4 kind of guys
Old 12-24-2008   #38
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Thought it was kind of funny we lose Diles, we're still O.K. We lose Diles and Adibi....we're in the outhouse. Might just be a coincidence.
nice post. I don't think it's coincidence (either?). I think Diles and Adibi still have a ways to go before they are good pros, but they're already making the team better. If we can have some LB's that have some coverage ability it will help the team a lot. Makes those lanes a little tighter and that helps the cb's some. Passing game just isn't downfield and the db's responsibility. Plus we get burned by those dump offs to the RB's and a LB with good vision,coverage ability, and smarts can diagnose is quicker than our LB's have in the past and get in the way.
Old 12-24-2008   #39
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Manning needs a baby. That'd get him out of the film room. Starting to worry about that boy. Wondering if the wife is just a beard.

You're not going to get to manning around the corner. He gets rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds. You can't beat that. That's what we drafted Amobi for. Still waiting.
Well maybe Wade Phillips gets fired and we aquire him as our DC and we finally get to Peyton...YES???
rarazz00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read