Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-21-2008   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mayocks top 20 seniors for the 2009 draft.

This is Mayocks top 20 seniors for the 2009 draft.

1. Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
2. Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
3. Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
4. Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
5. Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
6. Brian Orakpo, DE/LB, Texas
7. Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
8. B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
9. Brian Cushing, LB, USC
10. Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
11. Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
12. Larry English, DE/LB, Northern Illinois
13. James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State
14. William Moore, S, Missouri
15. Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia
16. Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
17. Max Unger, OL, Oregon
18. Rashad Johnson, S, Alabama
19. Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
20. Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?...000d5d80d41b6d

Man Curry looks old in that pic.

Anyway a few surprises to me.
Oher slipping down to #11???? Do we pass on him if he is available?????
I cant believe he has T Jackson & Cushing rated higher than Oher.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mayocks top 20 seniors for the 2009 draft.

after watching todays beat down in Oakland the #1 selection if available should be Eugene Monore. move Winston inside to RG he is getting beat like a drum cannot handle speed on the outside. Schaub is not going to be worth crap after another year of
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully, a lot of good underclassmen enter this draft. Half of these guys would be 2nd rounders in a decent draft.
Old 12-21-2008   #4
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
after watching todays beat down in Oakland the #1 selection if available should be Eugene Monore. move Winston inside to RG he is getting beat like a drum cannot handle speed on the outside. Schaub is not going to be worth crap after another year of
Figured out what is going on with Duane Brown. His base is way to wide after his kick slide. Looks like a sumo wrestler.

I suggested Erick at LG back in August and got blasted. Who knows. Baylor's Smith would be perfect. I hate redrafting positions in back to back years. They ran one mis direction in the first series ( an end around to Walter), then they lost their collective minds after the Oakland on side kick. Over perusing defense, run mis direction plays. You're supposed to be able to run against a two deep Safety. We couldn't today.
Old 12-21-2008   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Figured out what is going on with Duane Brown. His base is way to wide after his kick slide. Looks like a sumo wrestler.

I suggested Erick at LG back in August and got blasted. Who knows. Baylor's Smith would be perfect. I hate redrafting positions in back to back years. They ran one mis direction in the first series ( an end around to Walter), then they lost their collective minds after the Oakland on side kick. Over perusing defense, run mis direction plays. You're supposed to be able to run against a two deep Safety. We couldn't today.
Smith is very athletic, fits scheme better as LT move Brown to RT, fits scheme better then move Winston to Guard. your prefrence I don't care as long as the Texans can start taking ownership of the trenches
Old 12-21-2008   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

just a quick follow-up with our local guys take Lance Zierlein

Quote:
Offensive Line
1. Andre Smith, Alabama *
2. Jason Smith, Baylor
3. Michael Oher, Ole Miss
4. Eugene Monroe, Virginia
5. Russell Okung, Oklahoma State *

Z-Report Says: This is a fairly deep area of the draft if the underclassmen come. While last year's tackle draft was better, there should be at least four tackles in the first round with Jason Smith from Baylor being a fast riser right now. Every player above is a tackle.
http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/
Old 12-22-2008   #7
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

I still prefer http://walterfootball.com/ for mocks
Old 12-22-2008   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
I still prefer http://walterfootball.com/ for mocks
Not sure how this is relavant here. Not discussing a mock draft, but a listing of top 20 seniors.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #9
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Smith is very athletic, fits scheme better as LT move Brown to RT, fits scheme better then move Winston to Guard. your prefrence I don't care as long as the Texans can start taking ownership of the trenches
My thoughts exactly. Both of our tackles would be better guards IMO. If Monroe( edit: I ment Oher) falls (like alot of people are saying ) we would be crazy to pass him up. If we dont complete this line soon Scaub is going to end up like the last QB we had and we are going to have to start all over again.

Last edited by mussop; 12-22-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-22-2008   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Brown keeps getting beat by pass rushers but he's doing well in the running game, it seems to me he may fit better at RT or RG. Him and Winston run blocking next to each other could be really really good. Defenses may have to concentrate on that side and it would open up the left side of the field. Keep AJ on the left and that would draw a safety over there. Field should be open short left and deep right all day long

Lots of top tackles this year and we're picking in the top half. Wouldn't be surprised if there's one available to us with other top talent needing to go like Curry, Orakpo, Jenkins, etc. Maybe we could use a player we have as some bait to move up to grab one. What player? good question.

I really want a studly defense and we need tons of help on that side, but the one thing you CANT do is ignore protecting your QB. I get the notion of drafting Gibbs/Kubiak guys late in the draft but how long will it take for them to develop and how much longer are we going to gamble with Schaub staying healthy?

If Schaub has the protection and time to let the play develop, our offense is virtually unstoppable. The only way to win when your defense is giving up 30 pts/game is for your offense to say "thanks... we'll just score 40"
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 12-22-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Hopefully, a lot of good underclassmen enter this draft. Half of these guys would be 2nd rounders in a decent draft.

IMO This is a decent draft. I cant remember a draft where half of the top 20 seniors werent rated second rounders.
Old 12-23-2008   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
If Brown keeps getting beat by pass rushers but he's doing well in the running game, it seems to me he may fit better at RT or RG. Him and Winston run blocking next to each other could be really really good. Defenses may have to concentrate on that side and it would open up the left side of the field. Keep AJ on the left and that would draw a safety over there. Field should be open short left and deep right all day long

Lots of top tackles this year and we're picking in the top half. Wouldn't be surprised if there's one available to us with other top talent needing to go like Curry, Orakpo, Jenkins, etc. Maybe we could use a player we have as some bait to move up to grab one. What player? good question.

I really want a studly defense and we need tons of help on that side, but the one thing you CANT do is ignore protecting your QB. I get the notion of drafting Gibbs/Kubiak guys late in the draft but how long will it take for them to develop and how much longer are we going to gamble with Schaub staying healthy?

If Schaub has the protection and time to let the play develop, our offense is virtually unstoppable. The only way to win when your defense is giving up 30 pts/game is for your offense to say "thanks... we'll just score 40"
number one. the Texans drafted DL, not counting Babin who was really a DE projected to fit @ OLB, with their 1st pick three years in a row (05 TJ, 06 Mario, 07 Okoye). so I don't think its that big of reach they could take thier top rated OL in the first for two straight years.

number two. big progress with Gibbs reworking the OL but its apparent he needs more time & more talent to work with. this could be his last season or maybe Kubiak can talk him into one more year but I would recommend letting him finish his buisness & lay the long term foundation for this orgainization while you got him.

number three. I can see we're going to have a similar discussion on the tackle/guard prospects- does he fit the Gibbs system or not. I got bashed last year when I said Clady was the best tackle & could excell in a ZBS, seems like hes done pretty well for himself in Denver. Jeff Otah who was available (went #19 to Carolina) could easily upgraded RT (sorry Winston) or either Guard position. while he is a power blocking lineman its easy to see with that running attack pro bowl upside in his dominant run blocking ability, hey the Texans could not use that in goal line situations?

number four. this is another excellent group of prospects, the likes of which will not be seen in a while, its interesting to see how certain positions have big swings in talent & this one is close to last years which was the best class ever. I'm thankful the Texans got one of them, thank you sir can I have another?

number five. Brown will remain the Texans LT. that does not mean however they would not use the 1st pick to draft another LT. it depends entirely who is left on the board if Eugene Monroe is there he would be the perfect fit @ RT (he played RT when D'Brickashaw Ferguson was LT @ Virginia). Winston could be moved to Ptts LG position while Pitts moves to RG for Brisiel.

number six. use a 2nd or 3rd for a Center. there that would be the Texans foundation for years going forward giving Gibbs a very satisfying retirement. Matt Schaub becomes a healthy, productive QB while Slaton & Co. can control the clock, convert red-zone & 3rd/4th down conversions.
Old 12-25-2008   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
IMO This is a decent draft. I cant remember a draft where half of the top 20 seniors werent rated second rounders.
You can't remember as far back as last year's draft? 20 of the 31 players drafted in the 1st round were seniors, including 4 of the first 5 selected.

This could be a decent draft. It's rumored to have a record number of underclassmen enter. My point is that there needs to be a record number of juniors, or this will be a weak class.
Old 12-26-2008   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You can't remember as far back as last year's draft? 20 of the 31 players drafted in the 1st round were seniors, including 4 of the first 5 selected.

This could be a decent draft. It's rumored to have a record number of underclassmen enter. My point is that there needs to be a record number of juniors, or this will be a weak class.
Agreed. There are some very good seniors, but the elite talent will usually come out early. Granted, they won't always come out early, but Juniors coming out are usually better prospects. As you noted Lucky, we should see a well above average of rSO and Jrs declaring because of the collective bargining agreement currently in place. This draft SHOULD be deep, and by deep, I mean there should be solid NFL players on the second day available.
Old 12-26-2008   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't know lucky, scouts inc has twenty six guys with five stars. That's a pretty deep first round. I thought that the agents would be pushing the juniors hard with the rookie cap on the horizon. I guess the common wisdom is that their won't be a CBA in place by 2010. Or....we'll have a lock out in 2010.
Old 12-26-2008   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
number one. the Texans drafted DL, not counting Babin who was really a DE projected to fit @ OLB, with their 1st pick three years in a row (05 TJ, 06 Mario, 07 Okoye). so I don't think its that big of reach they could take thier top rated OL in the first for two straight years.

number two. big progress with Gibbs reworking the OL but its apparent he needs more time & more talent to work with. this could be his last season or maybe Kubiak can talk him into one more year but I would recommend letting him finish his buisness & lay the long term foundation for this organization while you got him.

number three. I can see we're going to have a similar discussion on the tackle/guard prospects- does he fit the Gibbs system or not. I got bashed last year when I said Clady was the best tackle & could excell in a ZBS, seems like hes done pretty well for himself in Denver. Jeff Otah who was available (went #19 to Carolina) could easily upgraded RT (sorry Winston) or either Guard position. while he is a power blocking lineman its easy to see with that running attack pro bowl upside in his dominant run blocking ability, hey the Texans could not use that in goal line situations?

number four. this is another excellent group of prospects, the likes of which will not be seen in a while, its interesting to see how certain positions have big swings in talent & this one is close to last years which was the best class ever. I'm thankful the Texans got one of them, thank you sir can I have another?

number five. Brown will remain the Texans LT. that does not mean however they would not use the 1st pick to draft another LT. it depends entirely who is left on the board if Eugene Monroe is there he would be the perfect fit @ RT (he played RT when D'Brickashaw Ferguson was LT @ Virginia). Winston could be moved to Ptts LG position while Pitts moves to RG for Brisiel.

number six. use a 2nd or 3rd for a Center. there that would be the Texans foundation for years going forward giving Gibbs a very satisfying retirement. Matt Schaub becomes a healthy, productive QB while Slaton & Co. can control the clock, convert red-zone & 3rd/4th down conversions.
The big number is 42 %. We can't score consistently inside the ten. That's a problem. The question for this draft is do they hold the line and hope more snaps with he same five equates into more touch downs ? I don't know. Continuity over talent ? I'll agree with ya with ya on one thing though they are never going to have a better chance to fix it if they choose than with this draft class. And whether or not Kubiack gets an extension or his walking papers will be determined which way they jump in April.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-26-2008 at 12:30 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ya know when I suggested this back in August....I was told I was on crack.

Old Miss, I don't know where the Sumo wrestler stance came from with Duane after his kick slide. But it's there. Feet are way beyond his shoulder pads. Gotta figure everyone knows. Outside of tethering the guy.....it's all on Brown to fix that. The pass happy OC and HC aren't helping him either. Call a few to let him maul some people and even out the odds.
Old 12-30-2008   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Pettigrew can block and take a hit. I am not sure why I had the impression he was a big softie.
Old 12-30-2008   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:

What does that have to do with Pre draft rankings? I said I cant remember a draft where half the top seniors werent RATED second rounders. I didnt say anything about drafted players.
Old 12-30-2008   #20
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I don't know lucky, scouts inc has twenty six guys with five stars. That's a pretty deep first round.
Scouts inc thought the Texans were fools to take Mario over Reggie and make their living hyping the draft. Todd McWhatever thought Howie Long's kid was a better prospect than Mario. Seriously, who takes scouts inc seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
What does that have to do with Pre draft rankings? I said I cant remember a draft where half the top seniors werent RATED second rounders. I didnt say anything about drafted players.
Huh?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read