Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-18-2008   #41
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Say Goodby to-

Mayock's list will change a lot (as will everybody's) in the next month as the bowl games are played and he gets one last look at these players. Then after all the games, he start watching more film than he has been and put more of his opinion into each list including undergraduates. I fully expect these names to constantly get jumbled around with each list he produces. It happens every year.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #42
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Mayock's list will change a lot (as will everybody's) in the next month as the bowl games are played and he gets one last look at these players. Then after all the games, he start watching more film than he has been and put more of his opinion into each list including undergraduates. I fully expect these names to constantly get jumbled around with each list he produces. It happens every year.
I'll give ya that Old Miss. But Pettigrew is on point. I'm not saying that he will go in the first. What I'm saying is Mayock has stuck his chin out on the guy. And he is way ahead of the curve here. So if he has a safety from Bum F. Egypt in his top safties, and we need a saftey.....I'm paying attention to the guy. He's basing the ranking on what he's seen on film. Not draft herd talk. The guys form Bama and Western Michagan must have some NFL talent. and I ain't going to blow a gasket if Smith and Kubiak agree and takes one of them over Moore or Mays.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-18-2008 at 11:04 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #43
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Mayock becomes the man during week of practice @ the Senior Bowl. from there its to the Combine for another week of workouts, weigh-in & interviews all the while his draft board, everyone elses too, evolves into concrete mock draft form. love Pettigrews game, he's going to be a pro-bowl TE in the NFL for years to come, for providing blocking both @ the line & down the field as much as offensive numbers.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #44
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Not my list. Mike Mayock's. He can be just as wrong as you or I or Rick Smith or John McClain. But I respect his listings. He watches film on these guys every day four hours a day five days a week. You or I are not going to beat that.

I believe he is just dead drop dead wrong on Micheal johnson. M. Johnson has a "don't touch him wth a ten foot pole" on my top seniors...We'll see.

another thingy: this guys rice bowl is based on his assement of college seniors. He just blew just about every internet draft guru out of the water with his posting. He didn't do this to get a stir out of everyone. Just like Pettigrew...I saw that one. Every down TE who can crush LBs blocking. And has very soft hands....all the internet guys don't have him in the first round.....somebody has missed here.

Up to you to figgure out who has missed. I'll put my chips on Mayock being ahead of the draft guru herd. And you can put your chips on yourself.
I realize this is Mayock's list. You said that in the first post regarding it.

LOL at you for coming down on me because I think English is a second round prospect, and then you turn around and call him out on Johnson. I guess you're allowed to have your own opinions but I should just follow Mayock blindly?

I guess it's up to you to figure out who has missed since I'm incapable...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #45
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll give ya that Old Miss. But Pettigrew is on point. I'm not saying that he will go in the first. What I'm saying is Mayock has stuck his chin out on the guy. And he is way ahead of the curve here. So if he has a safety from BF Egypt in his top safties, and we need a saftey.....I'm paying attention to the guy. He's basing the ranking on what he's seen on film. Not draft herd talk. the guy form Bama and Western Michagan must have some NFL talent.
IMO Pettigrew is 1st rd talent. In fact there are 5 TE's with 1st or 2nd rd grades IMO.

Jermaine Gresham 6-5, 256 4.72 Oklahoma
Brandon Pettigrew 6-5, 260 4.80 Oklahoma State
Chase Coffman 6-5, 245 4.82 Missouri
Dennis Pitta 6-5, 250 4.70 BYU
Jared Cook 6-5, 242 4.70 South Carolina

If one of these guys were to slip to the 3rd round I would love for us to take him. All these guys would come in handy in the red zone.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #46
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll give ya that Old Miss. But Pettigrew is on point. I'm not saying that he will go in the first. What I'm saying is Mayock has stuck his chin out on the guy. And he is way ahead of the curve here. So if he has a safety from Bum F. Egypt in his top safties, and we need a saftey.....I'm paying attention to the guy. He's basing the ranking on what he's seen on film. Not draft herd talk. The guys form Bama and Western Michagan must have some NFL talent. and I ain't going to blow a gasket if Smith and Kubiak agree and takes one of them over Moore or Mays.
I forget which CB it was last year, he had rated #1 (of CB's) for a little bit while others including Kiper had the guy down at like #5. Eventually others copied Mayock and then they all shuffled around the cb's some more but Mayock isn't afraid to be the 1st to put his guy out there and I like that a lot. Brandon Flowers from Virg. Tech... that's who I was thinking of.

In anycase, I see these lists as fluid (along with mock drafts) but really what they do for most of us is gives us a good start in following some of the people that will at least be 1st DAY picks.
Old 12-18-2008   #47
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Michael Oher, OT
Eugene Monroe, OT
Malcolm Jenkins, CB
Aaron Curry, LB
Brian Orakpo, DE
Rey Maualuga, LB
Michael Johnson, DE

hello to-

James Laurinatis, LB
Brain Cushing, LB
Clint Stintim, LB
William Moore, FS
Alphonso Smith, CB
Brandon Pettigrew, TE
Duke Robinson, OG
+ Everette Brown, DE
+ BJ Raji, DT

Brown's weight may be a concern (too light), but this guy can ball. And Raji is the NT we've been looking for.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #48
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mike Mayock's Top twenty Seniors:

1. Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest
2. Malcom Jenkins CB the OSU
3. Eugene Manroe OLT Virgina
4. Brandon Pettigrew Blocking TE Oklahoma State
5. Jason Smith OLT Baylor
6. Brain Orakpo DE Texas- (I knew I wasn't crazy)
7. Rey " I don't need another vowell Vanny" Maualga LB USC

8. B.J. Raji NT B.C.
9. Brain Cushing OLB USC
10. Tyson Jackson DE LSU
11. Micheal Oher OLT/OG Mississippi
12. Larry English DE/LB tweener Northern Ill.
13. James Laurinatis OLB the OSU
14. William Moore S Missiouri
15. Clint Sintim LB Viginia
16. Alphonzo Smith CB Wake Forest
17. Max Unger G/C Oregon
18. Rashad Johnson S Bama
19. Micheal Johnson DE (yeah right. tell me another one Mike) Georgia Tech
20. Louis Delmas S Western Michigan
who's the best passrusher (that has a possibility to be here at 20 ish) from the bunch?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #49
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
who's the best passrusher (that has a possibility to be here at 20 ish) from the bunch?
I'm assuming you mean 4-3 DE's and not just best passrusher overall.

Greg Hardy - Unstoppable when he wants to be, but has an injury history, and some questions about his commitment to the sport.
Michael Johnson - 6'7 260 super freak, but lacks the kind of motor you want. Another guy who can dominate when he wants to, but doesn't seem to want to all the time. Kind of lazy, and doesn't pursue plays that go away from him.
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #50
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
This is a hard year for me to get a good feel on the DE's. I think there are loads of talented pass rushers in the first couple rounds so that will play out really well for us. I'm having trouble distinguishing some of the 4-3 DE's from the 3-4 OLB's.

Orakpo (long gone), George Selvie, Everrette Brown all seem like they'll be best suited for 3-4 imo. People can disagree with me if they want. Orakpo is probably good enough to play in either base defense and Brown probably has that possibility too. I wouldn't look at Selvie in the 1st b/c he's a pure pass rusher. The 1st round isn't good for a situational player like that, I'd rather have an everydown player. Greg Hardy and Michael Johnson looke like 4-3 ends to me and should be available at our pick.

I'm high on the Raji bandwagon but if he's gone before our pick, I wouldn't be too against Taylor Mays and then hoping a viable NT or DE falls to us in the 2nd round.

What are people's thoughts on Brandon Graham from Michigan? I havn't gotten to see him on a single play but he might be a possibility in the 2nd or so.
Old 12-18-2008   #51
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is a hard year for me to get a good feel on the DE's. I think there are loads of talented pass rushers in the first couple rounds so that will play out really well for us. I'm having trouble distinguishing some of the 4-3 DE's from the 3-4 OLB's.

Orakpo (long gone), George Selvie, Everrette Brown all seem like they'll be best suited for 3-4 imo. People can disagree with me if they want. Orakpo is probably good enough to play in either base defense and Brown probably has that possibility too. I wouldn't look at Selvie in the 1st b/c he's a pure pass rusher. The 1st round isn't good for a situational player like that, I'd rather have an everydown player. Greg Hardy and Michael Johnson looke like 4-3 ends to me and should be available at our pick.

I'm high on the Raji bandwagon but if he's gone before our pick, I wouldn't be too against Taylor Mays and then hoping a viable NT or DE falls to us in the 2nd round.

What are people's thoughts on Brandon Graham from Michigan? I havn't gotten to see him on a single play but he might be a possibility in the 2nd or so.
I think impact players are what's needed and when you pick lower you have to be more flexible . I would take Everette Brown at 20 because at the very worst he could be a pass rushing DE . I wouldn't touch a player who's motors questioned .
Old 12-19-2008   #52
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

I think this staff is smarter than to get another Babin-type of player that doesn't really fit. And I know they're smarter than to trade up for him!
Old 12-19-2008   #53
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think this staff is smarter than to get another Babin-type of player that doesn't really fit. And I know they're smarter than to trade up for him!
God. Thats painful to think about.
Old 12-19-2008   #54
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I've been looking at Graham also. Walters have him going to us in 2nd but that was couple weeks ago.
Old 12-19-2008   #55
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Graham has been kind of streaky. Getting 3 sacks one game, then a 3 game dry spell, then another 3 sack game.

It's hard to argue against 21 TFL and 10 sacks BUT:

His 2, 3 sack games were against Wisconsin and Michigan State.

Are you really impressed with him tearing up Eric Vandenheuvel?

His only sack against serious competition was at Ohio State against Alex Boone.

Then there's his size. 6'1 7/8 with blazing 4.75 speed.

I don't think he can play 4-3 DE at the pro level. He will drop 15-20 pounds(270) and try to run something around a 4.6 so a 3-4 team will look at him.
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #56
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The best are Mayock & Kirwan

Mayock watches more film than anybody. He is this generations Buschbaum.

Kirwan has more contacts with GM's & Scouts than anybody.

If you listen to them both after the combine you should have a pretty good idea how the draft is going to fall.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #57
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From what I've seen this week, and with Orakpo and Brown probably off the board, that'd be the small school guy from Richmond...Sidbury. If we're lucky he'll be there in the second round....might make it to the third. I'd move down and take him at twenty. Pick up the extra picks.

What you know for a fact is the guys best football is ahead of him. He needs to learn how to abchor against the rush. But he has very long arms and big hands. I think we should stay at fifteen and take the high end outside LB first and then Sidbury. LB, DE, whatever in the third...Running Back.... fill in with the last three. I reallly liked Clay Mathews work the last two days. I like Diles and his back up. No way though I'd go to war with just those two. If Diles snaps his leg again , we're sunk.
Old 01-23-2009   #58
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88648 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't understand why so many people keep talking about William Moore for the first round. Just because he is the best safety in the draft possibly doesn't mean that he will be that good of one where he'll be worth a 15th pick. NO WAY. I'd take him with the 2nd, but he'll be gone and I don't want to trade down to make him our first pick either. I'd rather get a safety in the 2nd or 3rd possibly, and see if we can find a gem. We need a for sure can't miss stud with our first pick at any defensive position we can get one at.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #59
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I can't understand why so many people keep talking about William Moore for the first round. Just because he is the best safety in the draft possibly doesn't mean that he will be that good of one where he'll be worth a 15th pick. NO WAY. I'd take him with the 2nd, but he'll be gone and I don't want to trade down to make him our first pick either. I'd rather get a safety in the 2nd or 3rd possibly, and see if we can find a gem. We need a for sure can't miss stud with our first pick at any defensive position we can get one at.
If you are considered the best player at your position then you will most likely get selected higher than you should because of team need.

It's just the way of things.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #60
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Michael Oher, OT
Eugene Monroe, OT
Malcolm Jenkins, CB
Aaron Curry, LB
Brian Orakpo, DE
Rey Maualuga, LB
BJ Raji, DT
Evertte Brown, DE

hello to-

Rey Maualuga, LB
Peria Jerry, DT
Brain Cushing, LB
Clint Stintim, LB
Alphonso Smith, CB
Brandon Pettigrew, TE
Say Goodby to BJ Raji & Evertte Brown. hello to Peria Jerry & Rey Maualuga

dropped Michael Johnson, Duke Robinson & William Moore
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read