Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-16-2008   #21
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Say Goodby to-

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I agree, I don't really think that much of Cushing and at one point I'm sure he was doing roids blatantly enough to where he developed some tits. Pass. Honestly I think if we keep getting pushed farther and farther down in the draft we'll probably just grab a safety or a DL. I have a feeling Kubiak is going to be fine with an LB corps of Diles, Ryans, Adibi, with Bentley and Thompson and maaaaybe Greenwood being the backups.
With no first step guy on board, Hello eight and eight. Either they've got to get more atheltic at LB , get a first step guy opposite Mario, or they've got to have the best Dbs in the league. You can't out score Manning and the colts. and judging by our division record the last two years, the Tacks and the Jags aren't that far behind the Colts either. They can't stand pat. At least not stand pat and expect to make a run in '09.
Old 12-16-2008   #22
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

9-7 record is going to be early 20's. the Texans need to select bpa or trade down. take Duke Robinson for instance, who is to say not bpa #20-#23?

Can the Texans EXPECT to be as lucky without suffering injurys on the OL which is a big reason why the running & passing game has been so good of late?

Folks, fellow Texans fans, the Texans not only need to upgrade positions they still need to upgrade depth. By addressing OL in the 1st in back to back years, as crazy as it sounds, is not such a bad thing. addrerssing OL (RG) is a twofer, you get a starting upgrade while increasing depth helping Gibbs game plan for continued improvement. Unfortuante injury happens in the NFL, versatiltiy & flexability are key to winning late into the season/postseason. watching those Steeler or Giant teams poor OL performance it only takes one hit to finish Eli or Ben for the postseason if they're not more careful, I'm shocked how poor they are when they loose a starter on the OL, meaning even they don't have adequate depth. I would not bet anything but feel their playoff hopes are riding on luck & hope with franchise QB's in peril. lets build this thing right from the inside out & not fall into the same trap while we still have the chance. taking the premium interior OL later in the 1st rd. is a sound strategy. Duke Robinson, is an elite player that will be key to improving the Texans now & down the road. I'd be thrilled to draft him before other teams GM's/owners come to their senses & address key building block over a shiny new toy

end of
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #23
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102890 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
9-7 record is going to be early 20's. the Texans need to select bpa or trade down. take Duke Robinson for instance, who is to say not bpa #20-#23?

Can the Texans EXPECT to be as lucky without suffering injurys on the OL which is a big reason why the running & passing game has been so good of late?

Folks, fellow Texans fans, the Texans not only need to upgrade positions they still need to upgrade depth. By addressing OL in the 1st in back to back years, as crazy as it sounds, is not such a bad thing. addrerssing OL (RG) is a twofer, you get a starting upgrade while increasing depth helping Gibbs game plan for continued improvement. Unfortuante injury happens in the NFL, versatiltiy & flexability are key to winning late into the season/postseason. watching those Steeler or Giant teams poor OL performance it only takes one hit to finish Eli or Ben for the postseason if they're not more careful, I'm shocked how poor they are when they loose a starter on the OL, meaning even they don't have adequate depth. I would not bet anything but feel their playoff hopes are riding on luck & hope with franchise QB's in peril. lets build this thing right from the inside out & not fall into the same trap while we still have the chance. taking the premium interior OL later in the 1st rd. is a sound strategy. Duke Robinson, is an elite player that will be key to improving the Texans now & down the road. I'd be thrilled to draft him before other teams GM's/owners come to their senses & address key building block over a shiny new toy

end of
I have been saying this for awhile now. Its why I added these names to the list.
Alex Mack, C
B.J. Raji, DT,
Jason Smith, OT
Russell Okung, OT

Build from inside out. If the BPA is an OL then so b it. Schaub has shown if given time he can lead this team. We all know about his injury history. eeping him healthy is paramount to our success. I really like the idea of adding Mack. He is the kind of player that will start right away and play for the next 10 - 12 years at a high level.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #24
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all for BPA

Hardy
Mack
Robinson
Raji
Cushing
JL

These guys should all be available when we pick. I like Mack, Robinson or Raji the best.

Mack is the perfect ZBS center (Big, Fast, Smart)
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #25
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 213038 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I have been saying this for awhile now. Its why I added these names to the list.
Alex Mack, C
B.J. Raji, DT,
Jason Smith, OT
Russell Okung, OT

Build from inside out. If the BPA is an OL then so b it. Schaub has shown if given time he can lead this team. We all know about his injury history. eeping him healthy is paramount to our success. I really like the idea of adding Mack. He is the kind of player that will start right away and play for the next 10 - 12 years at a high level.
Raji and Mack (as well as Robinson) have been on my list for quite a while.

I have a sneaking suspision that Raji goes much earlier that most here expect , especially if T.Cody returns to school next season , leaving Raji as the #1 DT in the draft. With a good combine Raji could work himself into the top 10.

I see Mack going somewhere around 21-24 in round 1 , If the Texans were to pick him in that range , I'd be pretty happy as C is what I believe to be the biggest weakness along the OL and Mack is without a doubt the best player at the position in this draft.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #26
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd definetly add Greg Hardy, Alex Mack and BJ Raji to the hello list of players available for us to draft. Greg Hardy has mental/attitude issues that I think any team will avoid in the 1st round and he can be had in the 2nd round. Alex Mack is a stud at C and is great in run blocking but needs a little work in pass blocking, good feet and hand techniques and worthy of a 1st round selection. BJ Raji is good as well but a little short I think and D-linemen have such a high bust factor to them, they scare me with a 1st round pick. I'm thinking we'll be drafting in the mid teens and Aaron Curry might still be available to us. My list of potential 1st round picks that the Texans should be very interested in.

Aaron Curry-OLB
Alex Mack-C
Taylor Mays-SS/FS
Vonta Davis-CB
B.J. Raji-DT

I'd take any of these guys in the 1st round with the possible exception of Raji for the above listed reasons.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #27
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102890 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I'd definetly add Greg Hardy, Alex Mack and BJ Raji to the hello list of players available for us to draft. Greg Hardy has mental/attitude issues that I think any team will avoid in the 1st round and he can be had in the 2nd round. Alex Mack is a stud at C and is great in run blocking but needs a little work in pass blocking, good feet and hand techniques and worthy of a 1st round selection. BJ Raji is good as well but a little short I think and D-linemen have such a high bust factor to them, they scare me with a 1st round pick. I'm thinking we'll be drafting in the mid teens and Aaron Curry might still be available to us. My list of potential 1st round picks that the Texans should be very interested in.

Aaron Curry-OLB
Alex Mack-C
Taylor Mays-SS/FS
Vonta Davis-CB
B.J. Raji-DT

I'd take any of these guys in the 1st round with the possible exception of Raji for the above listed reasons.
I like Vonte Davis but he is to much of a project at this point. Curry is the highest rated OLB int the draft by almost every scouting site out there. Its highly unlikely he will be around in the mid teens IMO. He is jsut to complete of a player.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If he comes out early Mark Herzlich is a LB that can drop down & be the speed rusher on passing downs that we have been looking for.

He is 6'4 and about 245 lbs. He has the frame to put on more weight.

He has been a standout on BC's defense this year & should be available when we pick.
Old 12-16-2008   #29
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If he comes out early Mark Herzlich is a LB that can drop down & be the speed rusher on passing downs that we have been looking for.

He is 6'4 and about 245 lbs. He has the frame to put on more weight.

He has been a standout on BC's defense this year & should be available when we pick.
2nd rd. Duke in 1st
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #30
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
2nd rd. Duke in 1st
That would be an awsome 1st day of the draft. IMO
Old 12-16-2008   #31
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post

Aaron Curry-OLB
Alex Mack-C
Taylor Mays-SS/FS
Vonta Davis-CB
B.J. Raji-DT

Mike Mayock has Curry rated his number one senior. He ain't getting out of the top seven.
Old 12-17-2008   #32
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been wanting Chung to be our ss/fs this whole time and dont get me wrong I like Mays he is just out of our range now. I agree with many of you in this post that we should go ol/dl with our first pick since Chung will more than likely become a 2 rounder
Old 12-18-2008   #33
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102657 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
I have been wanting Chung to be our ss/fs this whole time and dont get me wrong I like Mays he is just out of our range now. I agree with many of you in this post that we should go ol/dl with our first pick since Chung will more than likely become a 2 rounder
I want whoever we have rated highest out of Chancellor, Chung, and Cook.

I think that would be Chung, but I also think he will go before our selection. We will be picking around 20 or so and I just don't see him falling to that spot. I think he goes in the top 42.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #34
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200241 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.gbnreport.com/probowl.htm

Breakdown of 2008 Pro Bowl positional players, by draft status

Position Total Rd 1 Rd 2-3 Rd 4+ Total draftedTotal % drafted Not drafted
QB 6 3 2 0 5 83% 1
RB 6 5 0 1 6 100% 0
WR 8 4 2 1 7 88% 1
OT 6 4 1 0 5 83% 1
OG 6 3 1 0 4 67% 2
C 4 1 2 0 3 75% 1
TE 4 1 2 0 3 75% 1
FB 2 0 0 1 1 50% 1
DE 6 3 1 2 6 100% 0
DT 6 2 2 1 5 83% 1
OLB 6 3 2 0 5 83% 1
MLB 4 4 0 0 4 100% 0
CB 6 4 0 2 6 100% 0
S 6 2 4 0 6 100% 0
Total 76 39 19 8 66 87% 10

Round Dan

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 12-18-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #35
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Mike Mayock has Curry rated his number one senior. He ain't getting out of the top seven.
Mike Mayock's Top twenty Seniors:

1. Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest
2. Malcom Jenkins CB the OSU
3. Eugene Manroe OLT Virgina
4. Brandon Pettigrew Blocking TE Oklahoma State
5. Jason Smith OLT Baylor
6. Brain Orakpo DE Texas- (I knew I wasn't crazy)
7. Rey " I don't need another vowell Vanny" Maualga LB USC

8. B.J. Raji NT B.C.
9. Brain Cushing OLB USC
10. Tyson Jackson DE LSU
11. Micheal Oher OLT/OG Mississippi
12. Larry English DE/LB tweener Northern Ill.
13. James Laurinatis OLB the OSU
14. William Moore S Missiouri
15. Clint Sintim LB Viginia
16. Alphonzo Smith CB Wake Forest
17. Max Unger G/C Oregon
18. Rashad Johnson S Bama
19. Micheal Johnson DE (yeah right. tell me another one Mike) Georgia Tech
20. Louis Delmas S Western Michigan

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-18-2008 at 10:40 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #36
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102657 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is just a pet peeve of mine since it is my name......but it is Brian, not Brain.

On the list:

Jason Smith can thank Duane Brown for all the money he is about to make. If we had not selected Brown in the first last year, Smith wouldn't be going in the first this year.

Larry English is slightly overrated, though he is a good player. Second round good.

Personally, I wouldn't even have Moore in the top 15 on that list.
Old 12-18-2008   #37
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
http://www.gbnreport.com/probowl.htm

Breakdown of 2008 Pro Bowl positional players, by draft status

Position Total Rd 1 Rd 2-3 Rd 4+ Total draftedTotal % drafted Not drafted
QB 6 3 2 0 5 83% 1
RB 6 5 0 1 6 100% 0
WR 8 4 2 1 7 88% 1
OT 6 4 1 0 5 83% 1
OG 6 3 1 0 4 67% 2
C 4 1 2 0 3 75% 1
TE 4 1 2 0 3 75% 1
FB 2 0 0 1 1 50% 1
DE 6 3 1 2 6 100% 0
DT 6 2 2 1 5 83% 1
OLB 6 3 2 0 5 83% 1
MLB 4 4 0 0 4 100% 0
CB 6 4 0 2 6 100% 0
S 6 2 4 0 6 100% 0
Total 76 39 19 8 66 87% 10

Fair use there Mr Earl. this is legal:

Quote:
Anyone wondering what all the fuss about the NFL draft is only has to take a look at players named to this year's Pro Bowl teams. Granted, the Pro Bowl voting isn't 100% science with players reputations sometimes counting as much, if not more, that actual on-field production; that is especially true this year with very unscientific fan polls - where anyone can vote early and vote often - counting for a third of the final totals. Still, the Pro Bowl is a reasonably accurate barometer of who the best players in the league are at this time. And what that barometer tells us is that just about all the top players in the league were indeed drafted and the majority came to their teams as premium picks.
Old 12-18-2008   #38
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
This is just a pet peeve of mine since it is my name......but it is Brian, not Brain.

On the list:

Jason Smith can thank Duane Brown for all the money he is about to make. If we had not selected Brown in the first last year, Smith wouldn't be going in the first this year.

Larry English is slightly overrated, though he is a good player. Second round good.

Personally, I wouldn't even have Moore in the top 15 on that list.
Well big fella I know how much film Mayock watches. You on the other hand.....
and I only took one semester of typing and my spelling is terrible. You can down grade my posts on the account of that...good luck to on that one.
Old 12-18-2008   #39
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well big fella I know how much film Mayock watches. You on the other hand.....
and I only took one semester of typing and my spelling is terrible. You can down grade my posts on the account of that...good luck to on that one.
I didn't see where I downgraded your post based on spelling. All I did was inject some of my opinions based on the list you presented.
Old 12-18-2008   #40
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I didn't see where I downgraded your post based on spelling. All I did was inject some of my opinions based on the list you presented.

Not my list. Mike Mayock's. He can be just as wrong as you or I or Rick Smith or John McClain. But I respect his listings. He watches film on these guys every day four hours a day five days a week. You or I are not going to beat that.

I believe he is just dead drop dead wrong on Micheal johnson. M. Johnson has a "don't touch him wth a ten foot pole" on my top seniors...We'll see.

another thingy: this guys rice bowl is based on his assement of college seniors. He just blew just about every internet draft guru out of the water with his posting. He didn't do this to get a stir out of everyone. Just like Pettigrew...I saw that one. Every down TE who can crush LBs blocking. And has very soft hands....all the internet guys don't have him in the first round.....somebody has missed here.

Up to you to figgure out who has missed. I'll put my chips on Mayock being ahead of the draft guru herd. And you can put your chips on yourself.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-18-2008 at 11:41 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read