Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-08-2008   #41
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive thoughts as of lately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I like Raji better than Cody for that role. He also has the benefit of being more than a 2 down player.

With the win over GB, and a gimmee against Oakland, the Texans are a lock to pick 13+; well beyond where Curry will go.
A while ago when it was looking like we were headed for a top 5-10 pick I was pushing Raji as a great prospect for us in the early 2nd. Since then we have moved back to likely middle of the first and Raji's stock has been going up pretty steadily to the point where I would not mind at all if he was our first round pick. If we could manage a small trade down it would be ideal but I wouldn't bank on it.

My reasoning is that at this point in the draft I'm not sure we will get the kind of value at DE that we would if we were picking higher. Also we have to get better against the run, a ton better. If someone like Taylor Mays is there he would have to be a major consideration as well and if there is some stud linebacker there that is the BPA its gonna be tough to pass on him. Pretty much though I expect the pick to be a big DT like Raji, a quality DE, or a stud Safety. Looking at it now I think we will have a group of players available that fit that bill at our pick and we aren't going to have to spend top 10 pick money on them.
Old 12-09-2008   #42
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive thoughts as of lately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steroids View Post
Here's my thoughts, assuming all are there.

#1 - Orakpo
#2 - Cushing
#3 - BPA from C/NT/RB/S
#4 - BPA from remaining above - finishing draft

What would throw a kink into all of this is if we could get either Peppers or Suggs in FA. For the record, I'm going to want Sergio Kindle when he comes out next year as well. Effective pass rushers can stifle the most dynamic of offenses. Examples Tenn this year and NYG last year.

Clearly among the C/NT/RB/S - system fit will be a priority. NT should be a big space eater, capable of eating a double team. RB should be a physical runner. I am of the opinion that our CB's need another year to develop before we throw any under the bus.
Kindle may enter this year. He's going to put his name in for the underclassmen evaluation and see what his possibilities are.

If he enters this year, I see him as more of a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE. If he returns to school and adds some weight, then maybe.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read