Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2008   #1
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Measuring Stick Game

I'm going to call this weekend’s game against the Titans a measuring stick game. I know everybody’s happy that we beat the Packers at home, and its a great accomplishment, but to be honest, the Packers aren't that good this year. Being a long time supporter of the Texans, as most of us are on this board, I remain skeptical of the Texans latest success. Below is our schedule to date broken into wins and loses:

Wins
Dolphins (8-5)
Lions (0-13)
Bengals (1-11)
Browns (4-9)
Jags (4-9)
Packers (5-8)
Combined (22-55-1)

Losses
Steelers (10-3)
Titans (12-1)
Jags (4-9)
Colts (9-4)
Vikings (8-5)
Ravens (9-4)
Colts (9-4)
Combined (61-30-0)

Essentially, we win against losers and lose against winners.

The Titans are hungry for a win this weekend and see us, as the best chance to win home field advantage throughout the playoffs. After the Titans play us, they have the Steelers at home and away for the Colts, both of who have winning records.

The Titans represent a team that accentuates what I think are still our biggest weaknesses - the offensive and defensive lines. The Titans offense has the 3 most rushing yards per game in the NFL, while the defense is ranked 7 in run defense. Essentially, if we don't in the trenches, we won't win the game.

This will be a great challenge for us and an opportunity to see exactly how good is our offense and defense.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Measuring Stick Game

Gloria Clemente: "Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."
Old 12-08-2008   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Until we start beating good teams consistently, the Texans are going nowhere.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #4
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Gloria Clemente: "Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."
Huh???
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Huh???
quote from White Men Can't Jump

But I hear what you are saying and agree.
Old 12-08-2008   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's definitely a milestone game. We have had a couple of opportunities this year to post wins like this and failed. Rosenchopper's meltdown against Indianapolis was the biggest one so far but I think this one has the potential to be more meaningful in the long run. We need to win against Tennessee arguably more than we needed the win against Indy. I think most of us deep down inside count the Indy game as a win because we know what we saw and we all know that the last four minutes of that game was one man squandering a winning performance by the rest of the the team.

This game though is easily the biggest game the Texans have ever played. Winning it means we've won against the team with the best record in the league. It means even more to the fans who want to crush the Titans every chance possible (and who haven't gotten much in the way of satisfaction where that's concerned) to pay Bud back. If we can upset the Titans then the noise that would make around the league is considerable. Beating Tennessee is maybe the last possible shot we have of salvaging the 2008 campaign and having something good come out of it. I think there are fans here who would take 7-9 if the last win was against the Titans over 8-8 and its "non-losing" status. I'm not one of them and am holding out for 9-7 but you get the idea.
Old 12-08-2008   #7
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10689 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just REALLY want to win this game, I am tired of Titans fans saying "when was the last time you beat us" and "when was the last time your QB finished the game"

Lets show them the Texans are for real!
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2008   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 318355 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Essentially, we win against losers and lose against winners.
I agree with this, which tells me what I've thought about this team all season long, and that is we are a middle of the road team, not a play off team. For a team to reach the playoffs you have to be able to beat some of the big boys, which we haven't proven we can do yet.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
I just REALLY want to win this game, I am tired of Titans fans saying "when was the last time you beat us" and "when was the last time your QB finished the game"

Lets show them the Texans are for real!
This is what I'm talking about. There's the natural dislike we have for "The Titans" and in that I really mean the team that was once here and the owner who almost all of us hate immensely and then there's the reality of the head-to-head records where we are like 2-11 against these guys and I know it just friggin eats at my gut every time we lose a game to Tennessee. I'm sick of listening to Titans fans point out the obvious which is they're killing us yearly. It's one thing to be plastered by the Colts from day one (and don't think that doesn't piss me off too....) because they've been like 82-27 since we entered the league. They plaster just about everybody. Tennessee is different. Even when they've been ordinary (3 out of 7 years we've existed they've been .500 or under) we just can't seem to get their number.

It's time to see the Texans beat these guys again. In 2004 we swept them and those were two of my favorite all time Texans games. I want to see that again. I want to start making a little headway on that 2-11 record we have against them.
Old 12-08-2008   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Charlie Rich: "Some gotta win, some gotta lose. Goodtime Charlie's got the Blues."

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read