Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2008   #41
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How clutch is Schaub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Schaub and clutch is like oil and water, seriously, he's cost us more games than he's won. Great game by him to bounce back after the pick, the more he plays the more he matures. He has the tools but makes too many mistakes. A win against the titans and running the table the rest of the year will get me off the fence. He throws up good numbers but there's always a number other than zero in the interception category. We'll go as far as he carries us.
C'mon. Our defense giving up 30+ points a game, and the corners giving
10-yard cushions on 3rd and 5 have been FAR more costly for the Texans
than Matt Schaub. Maybe if the defense had been getting off the field on
3rd down, the offense wouldn't have to play "touchdown-or-bust" every
game.

This is the first season, in which the Texans had an offensive line jell and play
well together. This season was a growth season to begin with. New line
coach, new scheme, 3 new starters on the O-line, Adibi, Wilson, Slaton,
Dunta, Reeves, Ferguson, have replaced many of the hambones we had
to start the season. The Texans are by FAR better than they were to start
the season, and that bodes well for next year.

Schaub is a huge part of where the Texans want to go, same as the lot
of players I named earlier. Take yourself off the ledge, and enjoy the
growth of our future championship team. One thing that is consistent
since Kubiak got here. The Texans have NEVER quit on ANY game since
Kubes got here. Most teams with the Texans' record HAVE quit already.

I see constant improvement, and though you hate to spurn your boy Sage,
Matt has the poise to get us a scoring drive when we need it. Just this
year alone, he's won 2 games and tied once on last minute drives. Today,
the TEAM screwed up OVER AND OVER. Yet, they were CALM and CONFIDENT when they needed it most.

Somebody blamed Sage's Monday night interception on an empty backfield.
Matt led the game-winning drive with a 5-wide empty backfield. That
requires a quarterback who can actually READ A DEFENSE. Give the man
his propers. Since the Miami game, which he threw 2 picks on the first
two series, Matt has shown his team how to sack it up and go get a 'W'
in SPITE of screwing up.

Championship team in a couple years. You heard it here first. Peyton
Manning screwed up ROYALLY when he got to the league. Jim Mora, Sr.
has famous Youtube clips of him dissing Peyton (Playoffs!??)

Growth. Focus on the growth of this team, and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by DexmanC; 12-07-2008 at 07:15 PM.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #42
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 56302 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
game.

This is the first season, in which the Texans had an offensive line jell and play

the TEAM screwed up OVER AND OVER. Yet, they were CALM and CONFIDENT when they needed it most.

in SPITE of screwing up.

QFT Rep on the way.
Old 12-07-2008   #43
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Today it did. Of course it was 6 degrees at kickoff and that may have had something to do with it but still, it sounds cool.
where'd that master of the obvious avatar go?
Old 12-07-2008   #44
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Colts have had 2 losing seasons in 11 years with Manning at QB. The first when Peyton was a rookie. Can't we wait until the Texans have 1 winning season before comparing them to a winning organization? Just one, please.

I thought Schaub played very well, especially considering that he was coming off an injury in a tough place to play. I thought the team as a whole played hard, if not smart. I happy about that. But, I'm not going to blow smoke about this being a championship team after another 3 game winning streak against losing teams. I'm not going to crow about a 6-7 record and being eliminated from the playoffs with 3 weeks to go.

This is essentialy garbage time in the NFL. And Teflonman has proven to be the King of garbage time during his 3 years here. There was a ton of bashing on the so called negative posters five weeks ago, after the last Texans 3 game win streak. Then, the Texans promptly dropped 3 in a row against winning teams. Destroying what slim chance they had at a playoff berth.

I'm just asking for Teflonman's team to win one game against a winning team this season before proclaiming them a future Super Bowl winner. That one game is next week against the Tennessee Titans. Defend your house against a team and coach that has had your number since Teflonman took the job. Accomplish that, finish out the season with wins against inferior opponents, and then we can talk about what great things are in store for this franchise.

Until then, this is just a mediocre team that eeked out a win versus another mediocre squad. Matt Schaub is this millenium's version of Chris "Chandelier" Chandler. And Teflonman is King of garbage time. That's not being negative. Those are just the facts, at this time.
Old 12-07-2008   #45
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
game.

in SPITE of screwing up.

I hear what your saying but to call schaub clutch is to put him the elway categery, nuff said
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #46
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Colts have had 2 losing seasons in 11 years with Manning at QB. The first when Peyton was a rookie. Can't we wait until the Texans have 1 winning season before comparing them to a winning organization? Just one, please.

I thought Schaub played very well, especially considering that he was coming off an injury in a tough place to play. I thought the team as a whole played hard, if not smart. I happy about that. But, I'm not going to blow smoke about this being a championship team after another 3 game winning streak against losing teams. I'm not going to crow about a 6-7 record and being eliminated from the playoffs with 3 weeks to go.

This is essentialy garbage time in the NFL. And Teflonman has proven to be the King of garbage time during his 3 years here. There was a ton of bashing on the so called negative posters five weeks ago, after the last Texans 3 game win streak. Then, the Texans promptly dropped 3 in a row against winning teams. Destroying what slim chance they had at a playoff berth.

I'm just asking for Teflonman's team to win one game against a winning team this season before proclaiming them a future Super Bowl winner. That one game is next week against the Tennessee Titans. Defend your house against a team and coach that has had your number since Teflonman took the job. Accomplish that, finish out the season with wins against inferior opponents, and then we can talk about what great things are in store for this franchise.

Until then, this is just a mediocre team that eeked out a win versus another mediocre squad. Matt Schaub is this millenium's version of Chris "Chandelier" Chandler. And Teflonman is King of garbage time. That's not being negative. Those are just the facts, at this time.
Hard to argue with that.
Old 12-07-2008   #47
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

All I know is that Matt Schaub is better than Rosencopter. And for now that's all we have. I was happy for Schaub, he made some really great throws and early on he looked rusty. But that's no surprise really considering this was his first game back and it was a really tough environment.
Old 12-07-2008   #48
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hear what your saying but to call schaub clutch is to put him the elway categery, nuff said
I'm saying Schaub is a young clutch QB. Elway didn't win a title until he was
85, with a HELL of a team built AROUND him. The Texans' pieces are only
STARTING to come together, so don't twist the context in which I call
Schaub clutch. This season, you can say Schaub led his team to victory
TWICE and to one overtime on final drives. He's already the best QB in
team history, and he is only going to get BETTER.
Old 12-07-2008   #49
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Elway didn't win a title until he was
really? must've drank a lot of milk in his youth or something.
Old 12-07-2008   #50
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I've seen, the guy looks like he could be a solid starter if he stayed healthy. Unfortunately, he hasn't stayed healthy in 2 seasons
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #51
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

In the final drive he was as clutch as you can get. It was so bad ass to see a QB take this team down field on a game winning drive. It was like watching a legit NFL team again.

As a few people have said, if he could stay healthy. I really think he could be an above average QB. His teammates seem to like him and he shows good leadership qualities. I really like as far as a person. I wish him all the best and hope he can become a great player for this team.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #52
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Here's what Packers fans thought about Schaub/Rosenfels BEFORE
the game today.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________
"Texans
We'll I'd like to say we are going to kill these guys, but who knows.

They've got a talented runner in Slaton.
They've got a speedy go to burner at wr.
In terms of their offensive numbers, those are impressive.
A weakness is their defense which ranks 21st in total yds allowed,
and 24th in points allowed.

The issue is which Green Bay team shows up. The one without a defensive and offensive line. Or the other one.

In sum, hard to predict, but could be a shootout if Shaub plays well. If he doesn't, we might be able to get the d on track and possibly pick up a needed win."
"I still say that Rosenfels is garbage. I think he's still slated to start this Sunday. Has anyone heard anything on Schaub's status?"
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

http://www.packeraddict.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=55916

Last edited by DexmanC; 12-07-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2008   #53
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If your standard for "clutch" is that you have to be an Elway-caliber player, then 99% of the QBs who've ever played are disqualified from consideration. If that's the definition you insist upon, very well. But, I believe most of the rest of us define "clutch" as success late in a tight-game situation.

Here's some stats for you on Schaub's time with the Texans:
1. In his 19 starts, Schaub has gotten the ball with less than two minutes in a tied game or trailing by one score. On all 4 occasions, he engineered either the winning drive (Miami in 2007 and 2008, Green Bay today) or a tying drive (at Jacksonville earlier this year). In three of the four drives, the Texans started inside their own 15 (the Miami winning drive this year actually started at the 24, but Schaub got sacked to the 14 on the first play).

2. On 11 occasions with Schaub as QB, the Texans have started a possession in the fourth quarter either tied or trailing by 7 points or less. Schaub led the team on a scoring drive to either tie the game or take the lead in 8 of those 11 possessions. The only times he didn't were: (1) last year at Cleveland in the first possession of the fourth quarter when the Texans were down 17-10, (2) first possession of the fourth quarter this year against Miami when we were down 21-20, (3) today when we got the ball back after GB tied the game at 21. So, two of those three failed drives were followed by even-later game heroics to pull out the win.

If those stats aren't some indicia of "clutchness", then I cannot imagine what is. Yes, it's hardly a career, but what more can he show at this point on the subject of being money late in a tight game?
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #54
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
If your standard for "clutch" is that you have to be an Elway-caliber player, then 99% of the QBs who've ever played are disqualified from consideration. If that's the definition you insist upon, very well. But, I believe most of the rest of us define "clutch" as success late in a tight-game situation.

Here's some stats for you on Schaub's time with the Texans:
1. In his 19 starts, Schaub has gotten the ball with less than two minutes in a tied game or trailing by one score. On all 4 occasions, he engineered either the winning drive (Miami in 2007 and 2008, Green Bay today) or a tying drive (at Jacksonville earlier this year). In three of the four drives, the Texans started inside their own 15 (the Miami winning drive this year actually started at the 24, but Schaub got sacked to the 14 on the first play).

2. On 11 occasions with Schaub as QB, the Texans have started a possession in the fourth quarter either tied or trailing by 7 points or less. Schaub led the team on a scoring drive to either tie the game or take the lead in 8 of those 11 possessions. The only times he didn't were: (1) last year at Cleveland in the first possession of the fourth quarter when the Texans were down 17-10, (2) first possession of the fourth quarter this year against Miami when we were down 21-20, (3) today when we got the ball back after GB tied the game at 21. So, two of those three failed drives were followed by even-later game heroics to pull out the win.

If those stats aren't some indicia of "clutchness", then I cannot imagine what is. Yes, it's hardly a career, but what more can he show at this point on the subject of being money late in a tight game?
Again like I said earlier.....my only question with Schaub is his ability to stay healthy, that's it. He's a starter in this league.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #55
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Again like I said earlier.....my only question with Schaub is his ability to stay healthy, that's it. He's a starter in this league.
Kubiak is that you?

Seriously though, gutsy performance, he made some mistakes and he got hit but there is no way we win this game without him IMO. Next week is going to be an even greater barometer for his progress and the progress of the team as a whole.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read