Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008   #41
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame
 
TexansSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 27
Posts: 8,528
Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

The SEC championship will be all about coaching, not players. If saban doesn't come up with a defensive scheme that can slow florida down bama will lose by more than 2 touchdowns.

Florida beats you with scheme and coaching, has little to do with their players outside of harvin.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 12-04-2008 at 11:34 AM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #42
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,727
Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
The SEC championship will be all about coaching, not players. If saban doesn't come up with a defensive scheme that can slow florida down bama will lose by more than 2 touchdowns.

Florida beats you with scheme and coaching, has little to do with their players outside of harvin.
i disagree. I doubt John Parker Wilson could do what Tebow does for Florida. & i guess brandon james isn't as huge a threat on special teams then either if skill set isn't that special. Meyer has him back there for a reason & it ain't b/c of lack of options. College football is all about the caliber of players u have.

Plus Meyers' gimmick offense is all about the type players he has to run it & what skill sets they have. You can't tell me that the zone read play they run with Harvin/Demps/Rainey would be as successful if it were used with a slow qb like sam bradford. He's good in his own right, just not the type of qb he would need for that system. Tebow & how great a runner he is is what makes that work. It was the same thing with VY when he was at UT.


The jump passes & bull in a china shop running mentality of Tebow are as much responsible for making Florida the contender that it is as Meyer's ability to coach & scheme his opponents.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #43
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame
 
Ole Miss Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,680
Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
That's not even actually guaranteed. BCS "analysts" are saying that Florida would have to jump UT & OU to #1 in both human polls to get by Texas in the BCS. I wouldn't take it that far though. It's no guarantee, but I think it is far more likely that Florida vs. OU would be the game.
But if #2 OU beats Mizzou, they go. If #4 Florida beats #1 Alabama, both have one loss and FL wins the head to head + its the last game of the season so Fla would jump Bama. They wouldn't necessarily have to jump ahead of #3 Texas (which the would anyways) because the BCS championship game can't be Bix XII vs. Big XII (ie two teams from the same conference)... or can it? But if each team has 1 loss, albeit UT's was a last second play against a highly ranked opponent and Fla's was a very close game against an unranked yet underrated Ole Miss team... i still think Fla would jump way up with it being SO late in the season and against the #1 team in the nation that's undefeated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
How can anyone say that Florida is better than Bama? Alabama beat Ole Miss and Florida lost to them. Even if Florida beats Bama head to head you still have to say Bama is better because of what each did against a common opponent.

Sincerely,

BCS Computer
I'm not a big fan of looking at common opponents. Alabama and Florida are two completely different types of teams. It's all about the matchup. That's why some teams can beat a highly ranked team but still lose to a "lesser" team- matchup.

That'd be like saying the Oakland Raiders are better than the Tennessee Titans. Titans lost to the Jets and the Raiders beat the Jets. Dang computers.
__________________
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #44
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame
 
TexansSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 27
Posts: 8,528
Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
College football is all about the caliber of players u have.
Could not disagree more with you. Unless you have a superstar that can take over a game, it is almost ALL about coaching IMO.

It's been proven time and time again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Plus Meyers' gimmick offense is all about the type players he has to run it & what skill sets they have. You can't tell me that the zone read play they run with Harvin/Demps/Rainey would be as successful if it were used with a slow qb like sam bradford. He's good in his own right, just not the type of qb he would need for that system. Tebow & how great a runner he is is what makes that work. It was the same thing with VY when he was at UT.
Urban Meyer recruits the right type of players, yes. He is the one that puts them in the position to make plays. That's part of the scheme. Fast players to and up the sideline.

I said they beat you because of scheme and coaching, and you went off on a you can't tell me their speed doesn't help argument. That's part of the scheme. The scheme doesn't work unless you have fast players to push the edges of the defense.

Regarding the bolded, you can say that about every scheme. That's the point. You get the players that can run your scheme.

My point was that you won't see a player on Florida dominate the game outside of Harvin based on pure ability. Their success results from coaching and how Urban Meyer puts his guys in positions to make plays. In other words, the Florida players aren't better than the Bama players, but when you look at scheme vs. scheme you can easily see that Saban will have to prepare his defense very well to win the game.

Tebow being a great runner is not what makes the offense work. Could not disagree more with you. Alex Smith ran just as well as Tebow did when he was at Utah. Stats were very similiar, he just doesn't have the size and power that Tebow has. The scheme pushes the defense to the sideline therefore opening holes up the middle. Have you not been watching Urban Meyer's teams over the last 7 or so years?

What makes the Florida offense go is the scheme and speed of the players to and up the sideline. Very simple to see that IMO.

I also don't get the comparison between VY and Tebow. The schemes were very different IMO, and VY just scrambled most of the time. Alot of Tebow's runs are called runs to spread the defense out even more, and open up the plays to the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
The jump passes & bull in a china shop running mentality of Tebow are as much responsible for making Florida the contender that it is as Meyer's ability to coach & scheme his opponents.
Ha what a joke.

Urban Meyer has a 79-17 coaching record. Not to mention he has THE best offensive scheme in college football hands down.

What in the world are you talking about?

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 12-04-2008 at 02:30 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #45
bah007
Hall of Fame
 
bah007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodlands, TX
Posts: 8,518
Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
But if #2 OU beats Mizzou, they go. If #4 Florida beats #1 Alabama, both have one loss and FL wins the head to head + its the last game of the season so Fla would jump Bama. They wouldn't necessarily have to jump ahead of #3 Texas (which the would anyways) because the BCS championship game can't be Bix XII vs. Big XII (ie two teams from the same conference)... or can it? But if each team has 1 loss, albeit UT's was a last second play against a highly ranked opponent and Fla's was a very close game against an unranked yet underrated Ole Miss team... i still think Fla would jump way up with it being SO late in the season and against the #1 team in the nation that's undefeated...
Yes the championship game could be Big XII vs. Big XII.

That wasn't even my opinion. It's just a fact of the BCS computers. Florida is #6 in the computers. Texas is #2.

Florida beating Alabama would only move them up to #3 in the computers. So they would either have to move up to #1 in the human polls or they would have to be a "strong" #2 over Texas in both polls.

As I said, I think Florida will be far enough ahead in the human polls to make the championship game against OU. But there is the small possibility (I would say less than 10%) that Florida winning the SEC pushes Texas into the championship vs. OU.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #46
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame
 
Ole Miss Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,680
Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Yes the championship game could be Big XII vs. Big XII.

That wasn't even my opinion. It's just a fact of the BCS computers. Florida is #6 in the computers. Texas is #2.

Florida beating Alabama would only move them up to #3 in the computers. So they would either have to move up to #1 in the human polls or they would have to be a "strong" #2 over Texas in both polls.

As I said, I think Florida will be far enough ahead in the human polls to make the championship game against OU. But there is the small possibility (I would say less than 10%) that Florida winning the SEC pushes Texas into the championship vs. OU.
Gotcha, very insightful. For some reason I thought two teams from the same conference couldn't play against each other... I'm way too young to be losing my memory.
__________________
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #47
bah007
Hall of Fame
 
bah007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodlands, TX
Posts: 8,518
Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Gotcha, very insightful. For some reason I thought two teams from the same conference couldn't play against each other... I'm way too young to be losing my memory.
Well the BCS was put together so that #1 vs. #2 could play on a neutral field.

I would rather the Big XII bowl eligible teams and the SEC eligible teams all play each other. That could settle the "which conference is better this year" argument.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #48
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,727
Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Could not disagree more with you. Unless you have a superstar that can take over a game, it is almost ALL about coaching IMO.

It's been proven time and time again.



Urban Meyer recruits the right type of players, yes. He is the one that puts them in the position to make plays. That's part of the scheme. Fast players to and up the sideline.

I said they beat you because of scheme and coaching, and you went off on a you can't tell me their speed doesn't help argument. That's part of the scheme. The scheme doesn't work unless you have fast players to push the edges of the defense.

Regarding the bolded, you can say that about every scheme. That's the point. You get the players that can run your scheme.

My point was that you won't see a player on Florida dominate the game outside of Harvin based on pure ability. Their success results from coaching and how Urban Meyer puts his guys in positions to make plays. In other words, the Florida players aren't better than the Bama players, but when you look at scheme vs. scheme you can easily see that Saban will have to prepare his defense very well to win the game.

Tebow being a great runner is not what makes the offense work. Could not disagree more with you. Alex Smith ran just as well as Tebow did when he was at Utah. Stats were very similiar, he just doesn't have the size and power that Tebow has. The scheme pushes the defense to the sideline therefore opening holes up the middle. Have you not been watching Urban Meyer's teams over the last 7 or so years?

What makes the Florida offense go is the scheme and speed of the players to and up the sideline. Very simple to see that IMO.

I also don't get the comparison between VY and Tebow. The schemes were very different IMO, and VY just scrambled most of the time. Alot of Tebow's runs are called runs to spread the defense out even more, and open up the plays to the outside.



Ha what a joke.

Urban Meyer has a 79-17 coaching record. Not to mention he has THE best offensive scheme in college football hands down.

What in the world are you talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Could not disagree more with you. Unless you have a superstar that can take over a game, it is almost ALL about coaching IMO.

Yeah on the lower levels of college football it might be. But most coaches in the upper ecehlon of college football will tell u that the athletes make all the difference, otherwise, why spend all that time recruiting the top guys if it didn't matter that much.


It's been proven time and time again.





Urban Meyer recruits the right type of players, yes. He is the one that puts them in the position to make plays. That's part of the scheme. Fast players to and up the sideline.

I said they beat you because of scheme and coaching, and you went off on a you can't tell me their speed doesn't help argument. That's part of the scheme. The scheme doesn't work unless you have fast players to push the edges of the defense.

Exactly...his scheme is nothing without the speedy players in place.

Regarding the bolded, you can say that about every scheme. That's the point. You get the players that can run your scheme.

My point was that you won't see a player on Florida dominate the game outside of Harvin based on pure ability. Their success results from coaching and how Urban Meyer puts his guys in positions to make plays. In other words, the Florida players aren't better than the Bama players, but when you look at scheme vs. scheme you can easily see that Saban will have to prepare his defense very well to win the game.

All this means is that he calls a balanced game. He can "position" his guys to make plays all he wants, all coaches in all sports try to do that. The fact that plays are being made is all on the player regardless of the defense & situation, not the coach or his scheme.


Tebow being a great runner is not what makes the offense work. Could not disagree more with you. Alex Smith ran just as well as Tebow did when he was at Utah. Stats were very similiar, he just doesn't have the size and power that Tebow has. The scheme pushes the defense to the sideline therefore opening holes up the middle. Have you not been watching Urban Meyer's teams over the last 7 or so years?

Is that not part of what makes a player special though? The fact that the guy has those attributes & can run the ball like any of the RB's maximizes what his scheme is able to accomplish. Yeah, it's designed to stretch the defense sideline to sideline, but if the defense doesn't respect both athletes (rb/qb) equally it will not work. Or if the player can't break a damn tackle..again it's not gonna work. As it is with florida now & that zone read, you have to respect both guys. Having superior athletes to execute it is the chief reason certain offenses work in college so well but not in the pros, b/c on that level everyone's fast & everyone's good. His is one of those that works well in college b/c of that precise reason.


What makes the Florida offense go is the scheme and speed of the players to and up the sideline. Very simple to see that IMO.

You're right it is easy to see as far as speed goes but that's attributed to the player & makes almost every scheme look better than it is, the exception being smash mouth pittsburgh steeler like offense.


I also don't get the comparison between VY and Tebow. The schemes were very different IMO, and VY just scrambled most of the time. Alot of Tebow's runs are called runs to spread the defense out even more, and open up the plays to the outside.

It doesn't matter whether a run is called for that player or not, it's the fact that that player's attributes give him the ability to turn a 3 yd. run/scramble into a 10 or more yd. run/scramble like both of the guys do/did; Again, any coach will tell u that that kind of potential makes a huge difference. It also doesn't matter that the schemes were a bit different..the objective was the same: spread the defense out & try to create some running lanes to run the ball while mixing in a little pass.



Ha what a joke.

Urban Meyer has a 79-17 coaching record. Not to mention he has THE best offensive scheme in college football hands down.

I guess it's Meyer's scheme that has tebow out there running over Lb's & Harvin/Demps/Rainey juking the hell out of defenders. The scheme helps, but the players make plays & almost every coach in the world, espcially in college football is gonna tell u that that makes the biggest difference in the end.


What in the world are you talking about?

Seems to me our differences lie in what we both define as scheme. I'm thinking purely X's & O's & chalk talk & it seems to me you're including everything needed to run a certain scheme. So...... speed is integral to his scheme...big whoop. It's part of every coache's with more emphasis for it in 1 area or another. So the question is, do you honestly believe that his play calling is the chief thing that sets them apart from everyone else?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #49
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame
 
TexansSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 27
Posts: 8,528
Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
So the question is, do you honestly believe that his play calling is the chief thing that sets them apart from everyone else?
Yes, by far I do. It's not so much the playcalling as it is the scheme in general, and his ability to coach that scheme.

You spend all the time recruiting to put yourselves in the best position to win and to get the players that work for YOUR scheme. Remember when Urban Meyer said "I want to have the fastest team in college football." That's what he recruits, speed, because that's what his scheme entails, speed.

When a guy gets the ball 3 seconds after the ball is snapped and there are 1 maybe 2 guys in position to make a play and 1 is the safety and you have a guy with 4.3 speed it's very hard to defend. That's what his scheme is designed to do. Make it easy on the QB and get the ball out of his hands quickly and into the hands of your speed guys.

He makes you spread your defense out then he hits you up the middle with Tebow, who is a very good runner. Don't get me wrong I understand that Tebow is a great runner but it isn't what makes the offense work. Not at all.


It's not only a game of pick your poison with the QB/RB. He makes you respect receivers on both sides of the field and the misdirection with the RB/QB. They may run a play where he fakes to Rainey on an end around, then Tebow fakes a run up the middle, and quickly turns and throws to the other side of the field to Harvin. In order to stop this play you are going to need atleast 3 guys in position to make the tackle on Rainey and Harvin or your toast due to speed. It's very hard to have 3 guys in position to make a tackle on one sideline AND 3 guys in position to make a tackle on the other sideline. Not to mention you have to worry about the 240 lb QB running up the middle. Then they run the same play over and over again yet the ball ends up in the hands of a different guy. What ends up happening is the defense gambles because they can't possible cover every possiblity and expect to win. Eventually you will gamble and lose, and when you do you are dead. That's why they have so many big plays.

And then if you want to blitz, Urban Meyer is very good at making adjustments, and he can really burn you. If you show where your going to blitz from before the snap, your already dead.

To me, that is scheme. The fact that Rainey runs a 4.3 doesn't make him a great or special player, but in Urban Meyer's offense it makes him very dangerous when added to other guys with speed. I attribute that to scheme.

When you've got a guy that runs a 4.3, your probably not going to get him down with the first defender, doesn't matter how good the player is, just how speed works. That's what Urban's system takes advantage of.

I do agree that Tebow's running ability adds another dangerous element to their offense but it is not what makes their offense go.

When you watch the SEC championship game count how many throws you think are difficult. IMO Tebow's biggest downside as a pro prospect isn't his ability, it is that he isn't challenged due to scheme. He isn't asked to make difficult after difficult throw. Something that you will HAVE to be able to do as an NFL QB. Just like bad OL can ruin a QB, being spoiled with easy throws can limit your progression as a QB.

That's essentially why I think Tebow should come out now, because he isn't progressing as a pro prospect in that UF offense. Add that with the situation in NFL coaching now where you could be done after 1 year. Who is going to take a QB in the first round or two that may need 3 or 4 years of time in the NFL to get where a QB that ran a pro-style scheme in college is? I wouldn't because by the time he came around, I probably wouldn't be the head coach.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 12-04-2008 at 09:03 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #50
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,398
Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

I think its more about the coaches/alums ability to recruit players who fit the scheme which in Floridas case are the fastest, most athletic of the bunch.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #51
kastofsna
Hall of Fame
 
kastofsna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 7,438
Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Florida has ridiculous athletes at every single position. and an excellent coaching staff.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #52
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,727
Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Yes, by far I do. It's not so much the playcalling as it is the scheme in general, and his ability to coach that scheme.

You spend all the time recruiting to put yourselves in the best position to win and to get the players that work for YOUR scheme. Remember when Urban Meyer said "I want to have the fastest team in college football." That's what he recruits, speed, because that's what his scheme entails, speed.

When a guy gets the ball 3 seconds after the ball is snapped and there are 1 maybe 2 guys in position to make a play and 1 is the safety and you have a guy with 4.3 speed it's very hard to defend. That's what his scheme is designed to do. Make it easy on the QB and get the ball out of his hands quickly and into the hands of your speed guys.

He makes you spread your defense out then he hits you up the middle with Tebow, who is a very good runner. Don't get me wrong I understand that Tebow is a great runner but it isn't what makes the offense work. Not at all.


It's not only a game of pick your poison with the QB/RB. He makes you respect receivers on both sides of the field and the misdirection with the RB/QB. They may run a play where he fakes to Rainey on an end around, then Tebow fakes a run up the middle, and quickly turns and throws to the other side of the field to Harvin. In order to stop this play you are going to need atleast 3 guys in position to make the tackle on Rainey and Harvin or your toast due to speed. It's very hard to have 3 guys in position to make a tackle on one sideline AND 3 guys in position to make a tackle on the other sideline. Not to mention you have to worry about the 240 lb QB running up the middle. Then they run the same play over and over again yet the ball ends up in the hands of a different guy. What ends up happening is the defense gambles because they can't possible cover every possiblity and expect to win. Eventually you will gamble and lose, and when you do you are dead. That's why they have so many big plays.

And then if you want to blitz, Urban Meyer is very good at making adjustments, and he can really burn you. If you show where your going to blitz from before the snap, your already dead.

To me, that is scheme. The fact that Rainey runs a 4.3 doesn't make him a great or special player, but in Urban Meyer's offense it makes him very dangerous when added to other guys with speed. I attribute that to scheme.

When you've got a guy that runs a 4.3, your probably not going to get him down with the first defender, doesn't matter how good the player is, just how speed works. That's what Urban's system takes advantage of.

I do agree that Tebow's running ability adds another dangerous element to their offense but it is not what makes their offense go.

When you watch the SEC championship game count how many throws you think are difficult. IMO Tebow's biggest downside as a pro prospect isn't his ability, it is that he isn't challenged due to scheme. He isn't asked to make difficult after difficult throw. Something that you will HAVE to be able to do as an NFL QB. Just like bad OL can ruin a QB, being spoiled with easy throws can limit your progression as a QB.

That's essentially why I think Tebow should come out now, because he isn't progressing as a pro prospect in that UF offense. Add that with the situation in NFL coaching now where you could be done after 1 year. Who is going to take a QB in the first round or two that may need 3 or 4 years of time in the NFL to get where a QB that ran a pro-style scheme in college is? I wouldn't because by the time he came around, I probably wouldn't be the head coach.

Just my opinion.

we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Urban Meyer is a great coach & this is no slight on him by any means, but i doubt he has the same success he's enjoyed thus far at Florida if he has the same caliber of athletes he had at Utah or Bowling green. he might pull off an upset here & there, but he would've lost way more than 6 games in 3 years at florida if he couldn't recruit exceptional athletes to help take his scheme to championship contender status. Tebow, Rainey, Harvin & Demps make plays consistently not b/c of his scheme, but b/c they are great players & were top recruits & thus would've flourished anywhere regardless. meyer's ability as a coach can't underscore that.

Alex Smith had a great jr. year at utah but they played noone & statistically, his stats from that year weren't really close to Tebow's 2007 campaign....especially in the run game. the only reason why florida didn't contend that year was b/c they were young & ran into 2 teams stacked just like them in LSU & Georgia...tis life in the SEC. Tebow might not be making difficult throws, but he's making them & the easiest plays are sometimes the hardest to make.

defenses always catch up to offenses due to scouting & film study, so in the end all a coach can do is put his players in the best possible position to succeed & hope his athletes make more plays than his opponents', especially in a conference like the SEC. Put simply, scheme often becomes secondary... it really comes down to your players making plays for you, & speed alone isn't the only factor.

Meyer's no fool, he knows the range of talents he has. They're all fast they only split carries b/c 1 guy might have an attribute that's a little bit better than the other for a particular play. Meyer does well to look for ways to get them on the field together & in space but so does Pete Carroll, Mack Brown & any coach with an exorbitant amount of talented guys. That's just a basic prinicple that more playmakers in use/on the field increases the potential for more big plays & goes for any scheme. But the thing that puts that offense over the top though is Tebow & what he's capable of in the running & passing game.

Last edited by Mr teX; 12-05-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #53
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame
 
Ole Miss Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,680
Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Well the BCS was put together so that #1 vs. #2 could play on a neutral field.

I would rather the Big XII bowl eligible teams and the SEC eligible teams all play each other. That could settle the "which conference is better this year" argument.
That's how I feel too. I think Alabama or Florida could easily beat Texas or OU. But at the same time, TX and OU could easily beat Bama and FL. No matter who wins this year, I think Big XII had the better overall conference. The South division was insane.

I think my favorite matchup would be Texas vs. Alabama. That would be a game I'd really like to see.
__________________
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #54
Goldensilence
hipster elite
 
Goldensilence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin
Age: 32
Posts: 5,143
Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
That's how I feel too. I think Alabama or Florida could easily beat Texas or OU. But at the same time, TX and OU could easily beat Bama and FL. No matter who wins this year, I think Big XII had the better overall conference. The South division was insane.

I think my favorite matchup would be Texas vs. Alabama. That would be a game I'd really like to see.
My only thing about an Alabama vs Texas game is I think the defenses match well but I think the offenses are light years apart. John Parker Wilson vs Colt McCoy isn't much of a matchup IMO. It would be how long can the Alabama D hold out and hope their offense puts points on the board.

The Florida matchup will be a pretty good indicator if Bama can contain a high powered offense.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #55
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame
 
TexansSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 27
Posts: 8,528
Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Alex Smith had a great jr. year at utah but they played noone & statistically, his stats from that year weren't really close to Tebow's 2007 campaign....especially in the run game.
Alex Smith's junior year:

13 games: 214 completions 317 attempts 67.5% 2952 yards 9.3 YPA 32 TDS 4 INTs

135 rushes 631 yards 4.67 YPC 10 TDs

Tim Tebow's 2007 year:

13 games: 234 completions 350 attempts 66.9% 3286 yards 9.4 YPA 32 TDs 6 INTs

210 rushes 895 yards 4.3 YPC 23 TDs

"Weren't really close" is not just wrong but dead wrong. They are very close. Outside of rushing TDs. Perhaps this is so because Tim Tebow was Florida's goal line back in 2007? He still is this year. Alex Smith actually gained more yards per carry.

Again it's scheme.

But we should just agree to disagree because this isn't going anywhere.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #56
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,727
Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Alex Smith's junior year:

13 games: 214 completions 317 attempts 67.5% 2952 yards 9.3 YPA 32 TDS 4 INTs

135 rushes 631 yards 4.67 YPC 10 TDs

Tim Tebow's 2007 year:

13 games: 234 completions 350 attempts 66.9% 3286 yards 9.4 YPA 32 TDs 6 INTs

210 rushes 895 yards 4.3 YPC 23 TDs

"Weren't really close" is not just wrong but dead wrong. They are very close. Outside of rushing TDs. Perhaps this is so because Tim Tebow was Florida's goal line back in 2007? He still is this year. Alex Smith actually gained more yards per carry.

Again it's scheme.

But we should just agree to disagree because this isn't going anywhere.
i hear ya...

Just ask yourself why Meyer chose to risk his qb's health & let him be the goaline offense in the 1st place even though Harvin, James, Caldwell & Rainey were there. There's only really 1 logical conclusion & that's b/c he knows how special a player he is.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #57
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame
 
TexansSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 27
Posts: 8,528
Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
i hear ya...

Just ask yourself why Meyer chose to risk his qb's health & let him be the goaline offense in the 1st place even though Harvin, James, Caldwell & Rainey were there. There's only really 1 logical conclusion & that's b/c he knows how special a player he is.
Because he is 240 pounds, bigger than most linebackers. If you run your 240 pound quarterback up the middle from the 4 yard line he is going to get in, wither it be on the first, second, or third carry. Plus they have to worry about the jump pass that Urban Meyer could call.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #58
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,727
Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Because he is 240 pounds, bigger than most linebackers. If you run your 240 pound quarterback up the middle from the 4 yard line he is going to get in, wither it be on the first, second, or third carry. Plus they have to worry about the jump pass that Urban Meyer could call.
Translation: b/c he's a special player with special qualities for a qb. The jump pass only works b/c of Tebow's ability to run the ball scaring the hell out of defenses. I 'm with u as far as his prospects for the pro game, But there's a reason he was the #1 recruit in the nation coming out of high school....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #59
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame
 
TexansSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 27
Posts: 8,528
Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Translation: b/c he's a special player with special qualities for a qb. The jump pass only works b/c of Tebow's ability to run the ball scaring the hell out of defenses. I 'm with u as far as his prospects for the pro game, But there's a reason he was the #1 recruit in the nation coming out of high school....


Rep for the good debate.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 12-05-2008 at 02:58 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #60
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,727
Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post


Rep for the good debate.
Lol, round & round we go... but in all honesty I know how hard it is for u as a seminole fan to give a gator player props for anything... Me being a sooner fan, I felt the same way around 2005 with VY & the longhorns...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger