Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-19-2005   #21
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bad Mojo

Nice post Vinny.

The only thing I can see is we've had some extremely bad luck with 2nd round picks. Don't know at what point you call it a day with Hollings and Bennie. But we got to be getting close. I like Pitts a lot. He works hard. I'd like to see him more blocking in space.
But that's not zone blocking. I believe they drafted Pitts as a LG. If I remember correctly he was 5.0 guy in the forty coming out. Very fast for an interior lineman. I have no doubt he was an insurance pick for Bosseli's shoulder. Hindsight is always 20-20, but how nice would it be to have Westbrook on the roster. Hill was definately a bust. The draft is an art not a science.

Vinny are you still high on Castillio ? The drugs don't bother me The steroids do.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #22
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Chester Pitts has been the only OG prospect to start every game from the 2002 draft class and is the last OG prospect from that class to have become a regular starter. Seems like in the context of the 2002 draft class it was a pretty astute pick.
Bentley and Fonuti are a class above Pitts. Don't know who that Gurode guy is. Pitts might be deemed a good pick, but he is nowhere near the quality of Fonuti and Bentley.

BTW, quit the false starts Chester!!!!
Old 04-19-2005   #23
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think Fonoti was on IR in 2003. Looking at this, Pitts was one of the better picks in relation to this draft class. There definitely weren't many good ones in rounds 3-6. I was surprised to see some nice finds very late though. (Note: None of these are in the same class as Pitts. I was just surprised they were taken this late)

Eric Heitmann 49ers - quality starting OG.
Kevin Shaffer Falcons - starting OT that is average but "gets the job done"
Kyle Kosier 49ers - quality backup that can play OG/OT
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Bentley and Fonuti are a class above Pitts. Don't know who that Gurode guy is. Pitts might be deemed a good pick, but he is nowhere near the quality of Fonuti and Bentley.

BTW, quit the false starts Chester!!!!
Which is all well and good but they weren't available when Pitts was taken. The Texans would have had to use the Gaffney pick to get either of them.
Old 04-19-2005   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
Vinny are you still high on Castillio ? The drugs don't bother me The steroids do.
I've never been real high on Castillo, non-opinion mostly though. The only real thing I know about him is second hand evaluation. I wouldn't worry too much about andro. Itís really not an anabolic steroid. Itís a precursor class substance that really doesn't do much but bump your own natural testosterone levels a bit.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #26
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

In defense of the Gaffney pick, the guy was projected to be a 1st rounder and we got him in the 2nd. He just hasn't lived up to his billing.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #27
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

The draft that seems to be under the most debate here is the 2002 draft...I didn't really follow that draft closely since I didn't have internet access back then, but I've done research on that particular draft and it seems to be the one which we made the most "reaches" since we had plenty of positions to fill...As a look back:

Carr: Was a pre-drawn conclusion that we'd draft him, and he has taken his lumps, but he was the right choice for us...

Gaffney: I saw mock drafts with him going as high as 15 overall, so I think he was a good value at 33...He has developed into a good slot guy for us...

Pitts: Looking back on mocks from this draft, Pitts wasn't even looked at as a first day guy since he lacked any experience at OG and had limited experience at OT...Most people think we should've taken Portis here, but Clinton looks to have been another product of the Denver O-Line, since his success hasn't really carried over to the Redskins...Pitts is the only O-Lineman we have that has started every game for us and he has the makings of a good road grader...It may have been looked on as a reach, but taking him has worked out well for us...

Weary: He was actually considered a good value here...Many thought he'd be a good guard who could develop into a great center, but it hasn't happened...I think it was a good pick...

Hill: He was looked at as a reach and was cut before our inaugural game...Horrible pick, possibly the worst we've ever made...

Wells: Taken about where most people had him...He's been average at best, but good for a second day guy...

Baxter: The guys at HPF said he was the biggest reach we made, and in retrospect I agree, considering he is only a back-up FB...

Walker: Many people had him as a first day guy, so he represented a good value in the 5th...He was injured last year, but I think he could still develop into a good SS who excels on ST...

Faggins: He was looked at as being too small and slow to make it, but he has developed into a good CB...Some here even think he could continue to improve and take over for Glenn...I don't agree with that, but this was a tremendous pick in the 6th...

Green, White, Miller: I haven't been able to find much info on any of these guys, but Green is a starting DT for the Saints...Nobody really expected much from them, and they didn't get much from them...

Overall, I'd give this draft a C, with the Hill pick being offset by the Faggins pick...Pretty average draft to me...
Old 04-19-2005   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The very first draft ever is the one draft where you have specific needs or you have to start street FA's. Baxter in taken 136th overall at Fullback wasn't a reach. Also there were a lot of guys like Hill in that draft. Just look at the list.

http://drafthistory.com/years/2002.html

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #29
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
The very first draft ever is the one draft where you have specific needs or you have to start street FA's. Baxter in taken 136th overall at Fullback wasn't a reach. Also there were a lot of guys like Hill in that draft. Just look at the list.

http://drafthistory.com/years/2002.html
After looking at that list, I don't really think there is any player taken after Hill that may have been a productive lineman here...It looks like it was a very hit and miss draft...We hit on Faggins but missed on Hill, it happens...Based on the talent level in that draft, I'd probably have to grade this draft on a curve and give them either a B- or a B...I think Baxter may just be underutilized here, since we seem to use Norris more since he's the better blocker...I always thought Baxter could develop into a good short yardage back, but in his two healthy seasons, he has only had 9 carries for 15 yards, less than 2 YPC...I understand we needed somebody at FB, though, so it may have not been that much of a reach...Philly seems to have made out like bandits in that draft, since 3 of their first 4 picks were Pro Bowlers in 2004...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read