Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-17-2005   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Tony Banks did when he got some PT year before last....but I wouldn't consider him the better QB.
I disagree. Banks did a good job, but the team won those games and IMO Carr would have done as well or better if he had been able to play. The win loss record doesn't entirely go on the QB.
Old 04-17-2005   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We will never know how Carr would have played in the games he missed but when Banks was in there he produced across the board better than Carr. I don't think that Banks is the better QB but everyone seems to apologize for Carr every time someone brings up a weakness. I think it is ok to be outplayed by your backup at times. I don't know why we should deny it.

PASSING
Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
David Carr 2002 Houston Texans 16 16 444 233 52.5 2592 5.84 81 9 15 76/411 31 5 62.8
Tony Banks 2003 Houston Texans 7 3 102 61 59.8 693 6.79 46 5 3 13/57 9 2 84.3

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1062
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/306268

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

And you know I certainly believe Carr has things to improve upon. But, when Banks was in there it felt like he was managing someone else's team and JMO but same calls (and frankly it seemed like they dumbed down the offense and it did work well) and performance from the rest of the team Carr would have done as well or better. No facts to hang my hat on, just an observation--right or wrong--and no way to verify. Which is I guess the best kind of opinion--can't be contradicted with facts.
Old 04-17-2005   #24
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 60434 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
We will never know how Carr would have played in the games he missed but when Banks was in there he produced across the board better than Carr. I don't think that Banks is the better QB but everyone seems to apologize for Carr every time someone brings up a weakness. I think it is ok to be outplayed by your backup at times. I don't know why we should deny it.

PASSING
Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
David Carr 2002 Houston Texans 16 16 444 233 52.5 2592 5.84 81 9 15 76/411 31 5 62.8

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1062
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/306268
You're comparing Carr's 1st year stats with Bank's 2nd year(AS A BACKUP TO CARR)stats. Apples and oranges. And see my earlier post. This is a brand new TEAM, not just QB. Carr did fine then, is doing fine now and will do better in the future. As Texans fans, that's the earliest(in the future) we can expect pro bowls from a lot of our players. I, for one, am glad to be having this discussion about a team from HOUSTON that is NOT the Oilers/Titans(Read any team owned by Bud Adams).
Old 04-17-2005   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

No, I'm comparing 2003 stats straight up....I just took the wrong line.

David Carr Houston Texans 12 11 295 167 56.6 2013 6.82 78 9 13 15/90 22 5 69.5

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #26
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 60434 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

OK...I didn't check...just read the years on the post. Still seems like apples and oranges. Banks has a lot more experience in the pros and was signed for the specific purpose of tutoring Carr while Carr learned on the field. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm very impresses with Carr's accomplishments, considering he is the 1st QB of an expansion team and was a rookie to boot. Anyone have any comparisons to other QB's of expansion teams? I think that might be a better standard to hold Carr to.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read