Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-13-2008   #61
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair maybe tired of losing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Jay Cutler
Kurt Warner
Drew Brees
Tony Romo

These are the guys I would say can operate with zero running game on a consistent, week by week basis.
Two reasons:
(a) Look at how few times these guys get sacked. So far this year:
Denver - 7 sacks
New Orleans - 8 sacks
Indy - 11 sacks
Arizona - 16 sacks (Warner is the exception - we all know he holds the ball a bit long) Last year AZ only gave up 24 sacks.
Dallas - 17 sacks (8 of those are on Brad Johnson - what's he played two games? Two were on Brooks Bollinger - what's he played, half a game? In the six games Romo has finished, he's been sacked 7 times)

If our O-line kept Schaub's uni clean all game we could throw at will too. Our two-headed Rosen-Schaub thing has already been sacked 22 times. We're on pace to give up nearly 40 sacks.

(b) And most of those teams DO have a running game. They may not be "run-first" like Tennessee and Pittsburgh but they have guys that have to be respected. IMHO, Denver is the only team that doesn't have a legit RB.
New Orleans - Deuce (when healthy), Aaron Stecker, and some would say RB.
Dallas - Marion the barbarian and (before he got hurt) Felix Jones.
Indy - Joseph Addai and Domanic Rhodes
Arizona - E. James and T. Hightower don't really scare anyone. But they can burn you if you play them cheap. And with the two stud WRs they have starting, do they need to run?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #62
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Do you Smith is the driver behind player identification? I think Kubiak is the main decision maker on who to pick-up, and Smith just handles the details. Kubiak was given a lot of power when he signed; I don't know that he has relinquished any.

Opinions?
I'm not real sure but I do think time hasn't been kind to the Texans draft in the Kubiak era . Smith was there for two drafts along with the Schaub trade which was probably more Kubiak but he made the deal .

Kubiak had alot of power for someone who hadn't been in that position . Smith was hired because he knew the type of player Kubiak wanted/needed so it goes back to is ... Okoye , Jacoby , Molden , Bennett , Brown , Adibi , and Slaton bonafide talent or our coaching or schemes stink or maybe both .

Brown was hand picked by Gibbs to be in a ZB scheme . He may be a waisted pick if Kubiak gets fired ... who let Gibbs hand pick him ? Who let Capers hand pick Babin ? Who's at fault if these guys don't pan out ? I think this is why GM's manage the personel and coaches coach with some input .
Old 11-13-2008   #63
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Do you Smith is the driver behind player identification? I think Kubiak is the main decision maker on who to pick-up, and Smith just handles the details.
Absolutely. Rick Smith owes his job to Gary Kubiak's recommendation. Smith plays Scott Pioli to Kubiak's Belichick. Without the wins.
Old 11-13-2008   #64
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Jay Cutler
Kurt Warner
Drew Brees
Tony Romo

These are the guys I would say can operate with zero running game on a consistent, week by week basis.
Most have modern offensive systems to play out of. The Patriots spread offense hasn't been great with Kassell but it certainly helped out Brady

Most of those teams have young and brazen OCs calling plays

Meanwhile we are stuck with Kubes calling plays and running things like its 1998. Little Shanny might be a good OC but I think he basically holds a clippboard at this point
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #65
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well, when I say stuffed, I don't necessarily mean a net loss of yardage. 0, 1 or 2 yards are all pretty well stuffs, in most instances (not all).

At any rate, I looked this up after the Titans game, when everyone was going gaga about how well Slaton did. His runs in that game were (in order): 1, 50, 1, 3, 6t, 25, 0, 11, 7, 3, 0, 4, 2, 2, -2, 3, 1, -1. That's 13 of his 18 carries that went for 3 yards or less. I love the big play potential, but I prefer a consistent running game to complement it. We're just not there yet.

Against the Ravens, Slaton had four carries for 7 yards. I'll just say he didn't have enough carries in that one and leave it at that. Against Minnesota, he had 16 carries for 62 yards. 9 of those carries were for 3 yards or less. That's better. 9 of his 15 runs against the Bengals were for 3 yards or less. 17 carries for 80 yards against the Lions, and 37 of them came in one run. As I said, I love the explosiveness, but we don't have a steady run game to complement him. Furthermore, as I said above, when we absolutely need to run the ball, like to run the clock out against the Colts, or to punch it in for a TD, Slaton's not the guy, and we really have no one else at this point.

So yeah, the running game has improved, because you have to take into account big plays. What I'm referring to is the ability to consistently run the ball. We do well between the 20s in down-distance situations that aren't obvious running situations. We don't run well when it's 3rd and short, or near the goal line, or at the end of a game to preserve a lead.

None of this should be construed as anything against Slaton. I think he's a valuable guy, and he would be the perfect complement to a back like what DD used to be.
Colts destroyed the Ravens. They kept running even though it didn't work well except for one big run. You have to keep good run stuffing teams honest or they will bring the house.
Old 11-14-2008   #66
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope this "tired of losing" thing doesn't translate into McNair becoming a Gulf Coast Jerry Jones or Al Davis.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #67
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm of the mind that if it is broke...you deal with it now. Who really cares about how your franchise looks to the media and the fans if you make a move in the middle of the season? Newsflash....they are laughing at you Bob. Waiting till the end of the season to get rid of RS isn't making you look any classier. Firing RS right now does two things. It sends a message to the players that we won't put up with mediocrity and once you fire RS you go into the locker room and tell everyone your game is on film and YOU are next if you don't get it in gear. That's how you motivate these rich players who are just going thru the motions trying to avoid injury so they can cash their lofty paychecks. You don't run a football team like the accounting department Bob. Football seasons are a sprint...not a marathon.
We arent that highly thought of anyway. We are a "joke", change it now. Damn, Im tired of sucking.
Old 11-14-2008   #68
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey Uncle Bob you'll be the hero of the town if you do it now and get it over with.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008   #69
cowbellm00
100% Houstonian

Rep Power: 10 cowbellm00 is a Pro Bowlercowbellm00 is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to cowbellm00

"I'm impatient," McNair said. "I have been patient, but I'm impatient. I thought we would be doing better at this point in time and we're not and I'm disappointed about it. So then the next question is, what are you going to do?

Hopefully this spells "see ya Smith".
cowbellm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008   #70
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
The problem is really easily identified, actually. It's just that very few people on this board want to acknowledge it, because that means it isn't fixable, and people just want a sacrifice.

The players are making mistakes and/or they aren't good enough. 99% of our offensive woes fall on TWO players - Schaub and Sage. It's really that simple. People keep wanting to blame Kubiak, but there is only so much coaches can do. One position is betraying this offense.
We have no real feature back, our center position is a liability vs any team that has a strong inside Tackle situation and our Guard play is mediocre and inconsistent with Pitts being the better of the two and our Tackle play this season has been below average...just wanted to take issue with the 99% thing since that has been bugging me.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008   #71
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 925 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith hasn't done us any favors,and he wouldn't be missed. My own opinion is we don't have any team leader, none. Johnson is an awesome player but too quiet to be a motivator. Matt is no leader, Mario might be someone for the team to look to but he doesn't project authority.
We have no uniformity, or that charismatic confidence of a winning team.
Every winning team needs a TEAM leader. We've never had one. I'm growing impatient too. Will I go anywhere? NO!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read