Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-09-2008   #1
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Are you suffering from Homerism?

After listening to 610 the other morning I was awakened to my problem. I have been in denile ( Its not just a river in Egypt) with my problem for quite some time.

I, TEXANRED, am a Homer.

Mark V. listed out the symptoms: Are you suffering from homerism? Are you the forever optimist that feels your team can win every week? Do you continue to buy the teams paraphernalia, shirts, and or merchandise? Do you find positives in a loss? Do you still think your team can win the division, playoffs, or super bowl no matter how bad your team is playing?

If you, or someone you know are inflicted by the above symptoms please find help. And please, if you don't get help here, find help somewhere.

Actually the Vikings game cured me of my homerism. I thought we could go on a good run but after watching how poorly our team was prepared (which has been pretty consistant for the last three years) I realized that that we may only win 1, maybe 2 more games. (Raiders / Jags)

But, if we do end up getting a win today, which I don't think we will, I could have a relapse.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are you suffering from Homerism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
After listening to 610 the other morning I was awakened to my problem. I have been in denile ( Its not just a river in Egypt) with my problem for quite some time.

I, TEXANRED, am a Homer.

Mark V. listed out the symptoms: Are you suffering from homerism? Are you the forever optimist that feels your team can win every week? Do you continue to buy the teams paraphernalia, shirts, and or merchandise? Do you find positives in a loss? Do you still think your team can win the division, playoffs, or super bowl no matter how bad your team is playing?

If you, or someone you know are inflicted by the above symptoms please find help. And please, if you don't get help here, find help somewhere.

Actually the Vikings game cured me of my homerism. I thought we could go on a good run but after watching how poorly our team was prepared (which has been pretty consistant for the last three years) I realized that that we may only win 1, maybe 2 more games. (Raiders / Jags)

But, if we do end up getting a win today, which I don't think we will, I could have a relapse.
Homerism may not be the correct diagnosis.................maybe bipolar????

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 11-09-2008 at 10:40 AM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I was diagnosed with "Home Homer/Away Realist" long ago...
Old 11-09-2008   #4
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

am i a homer if i think this team still has a legitamate shot at winning the super bowl?

Last edited by utahmark; 11-09-2008 at 11:52 AM.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
im i a homer if i think this team still has a legitamate shot at winning the super bowl?
There's another word for you if you think this team still has a legitimate shot at winning the SuperBowl.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #6
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I must be counted among the afflicted.
Old 11-09-2008   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I've set through to many Oilers/Texans seasons to be a full fledged Homer. Still though, I think they can win today. I'm sort of like TheRealJoker, I'm a home/homer and away/realist kind ah guy.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2008   #8
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I was diagnosed with "Home Homer/Away Realist" long ago...
Exactly. Unfortunately for us the way they play at home gives us so much false hope for road games that we get all hyped up for nothing before they inevitably let us down. It won't surprise me at all if we win today but if we were playing Baltimore on the road we would get killed.
Old 11-09-2008   #9
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldnt say suffer, I would say benefit!
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #10
Sal Rosenberg
All Pro

Rep Power: 111 Sal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respected

I call people trolls therefore I am a Homer
Sal Rosenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #11
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

My buddies pointed out my homerism in my fantasy league. Can a man draft Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels and Kevin Walters..and not be called a homer?!
Old 11-09-2008   #12
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I suffer from "Pessimisticism". I am always thinking that our guy is getting ready to fumble, the QB is about to throw a interception, the defense is getting ready to give up a big play, etc etc.

My condition is due to abuse I received growing up. My abusers being the Houston Oilers.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I suffer from "Pessimisticism". I am always thinking that our guy is getting ready to fumble, the QB is about to throw a interception, the defense is getting ready to give up a big play, etc etc.

My condition is due to abuse I received growing up. My abusers being the Houston Oilers.
I think you need to review your definitions. It would seem a heavy dose of reality has afflicted you with "realism"
Old 11-09-2008   #14
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I think you need to review your definitions. It would seem a heavy dose of reality has afflicted you with "realism"
True, no doubt about that. BTW, this only applies to Houston teams. I am not like that with other teams I follow.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #15
Texanballer
Rookie

Rep Power: 25 Texanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performer

this game has ended my homerism
Texanballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanballer View Post
this game has ended my homerism
Watching the Texans is like drinking.

You plan to do so in moderatoin, b,ut once youre in the moment, you can't help it. You go overboard.

Then you get sick and feel horrible the next day and swear you'll never touch it again. And then what do you know, next Sunday you're back out there...
Old 11-09-2008   #17
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

No threat of relapse.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #18
TexansMVP
Probowler

My name is TexansMVP, and I'm a homer too...and right now it hurts.
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #19
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

No.....I'm pretty much a realist & didn't buy into the playoff talk at the beginnning of the season. Maybe just loyal to a fault as any fan who's seen as much bad football as i, & others on this forum have seen over the years from these dudes, most would just abandon them. I just keep coming back for more every week, every year.....i must be a masocist (sp?).
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read