Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-05-2008   #21
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: More Richard Justice drivel

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
last i heard we are one of the least penalized teams in the league. not sure how he can do better with that. im not real sure what he can do to help the turnover situation either. the only place im seeing turnovers is from the qb position and every qb we have turns the ball over. we just picked up some new guy maybe he should start him?
The coaches should old school it and make the QBs carry a football around with them where ever they go and protect it from swipes from their team mates, especially Schaub. With Rosencopter, he needs to learn how to throw the ball away. Neither seems to sense pressure exceptionally well.

Man, I'm a Schaub supporter and other than his turnovers, I really don't see other weaknesses that don't make him a starting QB. I thought maybe he had turned a corner with turnovers, and maybe his injury contributed significantly to his problems vs. the Vikes, but I'm starting to doubt we have the answer at QB. And that depresses me because unless we find a gem like Matt Ryan in the draft, the franchise is back to square one. And no, I would not be happy with a journeyman like Kerry Collins.

Harumph.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #22
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
The problem is that these guys don't get to the line with any urgency when facing a time crunch. They let too much time run off the clock as they meander up there. Peyton would chew someone's ass out over that.

I'm starting to turn into one of those "Kubiak is not the answer" people the more I see the same problems cropping up and a consistent lack of piss and vinegar from this team. The cheapshotting Schaub thread is proof positive that this team lacks the fire to hit someone in the mouth.
that must be a pretty powerful thread.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #23
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem is that our coach is a NEW head coach. He has been a playerm and a good coach but he tends to step back into that role. He seems like he can't make a descision when the game is on the line....."do I throw the flag or not? Watch it ref, I have a flag that I could throw, but it is such a pretty flag and I am saving on wall paper."

It is almost like he is waiting for someone else to make a decision. He would work pretty well in a Jerra Jones owned team.

I do, however, think that Kubiak will one day be one of the finest coaches when he finally grows some.
Old 11-05-2008   #24
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Kubiak is still having trouble with clock management. If he can’t get the play in on time, he should hire someone who can. This isn’t an issue of talent or focus. It’s the head coach being indecisive.

On Sunday, three of the four offensive linemen were flagged for false starts. Another concentration issue. The Texans’ third and fourth possessions ended with turnovers. So did the second possession of the second half.
Justice is right on with those remarks. The players are playing like their
HC all too often coachs, without focus or decisiveness.
This was a season that he teed-up as a real playoff opportunity for the Texans, and he sliced it badly. Actually he caught the 2 best teams in the division with down years and his team has had the benefit of hardly no key injuries in the first half of the year, yet he ends up 3-5 record
to all but eliminate any real shot at postseason action for the Texans in '08.
Exactly how I feel. I just don't get a good feeling about Kubiak's chances of elevating the team past .500...let alone how he could do in a playoff game.
Old 11-05-2008   #25
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I am one who stated I would put this loss on the coaches for not having our team ready to play a game that would help them to get to .500 and not thinking they were off the hook for winning 3 in a row.

However, Richard Justice trying to say that Kubiak doesn't ever have this team mentally prepared with evidence of the false start penalties is terrible. Justice never once mentions the stat that came up in the game Sunday - We are the least penalized team in the league. Coaches have to get credit for that right?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #26
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I am one who stated I would put this loss on the coaches for not having our team ready to play a game that would help them to get to .500 and not thinking they were off the hook for winning 3 in a row.

However, Richard Justice trying to say that Kubiak doesn't ever have this team mentally prepared with evidence of the false start penalties is terrible. Justice never once mentions the stat that came up in the game Sunday - We are the least penalized team in the league. Coaches have to get credit for that right?
Hard to have the highest 3rd down completion percentage in the league if you aren't disciplined or coached well.

Of course, that is semi-offset by the high 3rd down completions they allow on defense.
Old 11-05-2008   #27
da Bull
Rookie

Regarding Kubiak: N.D. Kalu on his way out the door gave Kubiak a endorsement not just once, but twice in the Chronicle Article - http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6096644.html+

“I’m not going to leave this game bitter,” Kalu said. “I’m still a Kubiak fan and a Houston Texans fan. I’ll be in the stands watching them.”

“I think they’re headed in the right direction,” he said. “They have a good nucleus of talent on the team and a guy like Kubiak leading them, so I definitely think they’re headed in the right direction.”

Maybe he was being politically correct and not burning any bridges, but, he's got a better perspective than Dickie Justice.
da Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #28
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Bull View Post
but, he's got a better perspective than Dickie Justice.
In my best John Granato voice.... Who Doesn't?!!!!
Old 11-05-2008   #29
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Bull View Post
Regarding Kubiak: N.D. Kalu on his way out the door gave Kubiak a endorsement not just once, but twice in the Chronicle Article - http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6096644.html+

“I’m not going to leave this game bitter,” Kalu said. “I’m still a Kubiak fan and a Houston Texans fan. I’ll be in the stands watching them.”

“I think they’re headed in the right direction,” he said. “They have a good nucleus of talent on the team and a guy like Kubiak leading them, so I definitely think they’re headed in the right direction.”

Maybe he was being politically correct and not burning any bridges, but, he's got a better perspective than Dickie Justice.
I think he is totally speaking the truth.

I've talked to players from the beginning. If they love a coach, they can't help but tell you. If they don't love a coach, they will not say much about him at all. It's like pulling teeth to get them to talk about coaches that they don't love. You know, like if you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all.

The most positive things I've heard about coaches, like over the top positive have been about Gary Kubiak and Joe Marciano. The players can't say enough good things about them. And I understand that.

He comes across as a very real person, not a put on. Justice is mad at him because he doesn't throw public fits, but that is not who he is. He can be a yeller but he isn't going to air out dirty laundry. And his players don't air out that stuff either.

His players very much believe in Kubiak.
Old 11-05-2008   #30
sbalderrama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
1. Is it a win or loss? If win, write something AWESOME! If lose, write something VERY SAD!
Its the same with McClain and his game grades. Texans win, everyone gets overgraded. Texans lose, everyone flunks. McClain should be forced to wait a day and rewatch the game before he grades the team.
Old 11-05-2008   #31
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Just wanted to add that I don't know Richard Justice but I have had to work with Chorn reporters and photogs before. Don't want to generalize but the arrogant douchebag apple dosen't fall far from the tree.

The people from TMZ were classy and nice by comparrison
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #32
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post

False starts can't be put on the coaches. At least I don't think so. At least a couple of those were near the endzone and in a dome it gets loud down there. I know both of our endzones have forced some throughout the years. If you look at the overall picture with penalties things look great. The coaches have gotten Jacoby focused more on protecting the ball. Owen Daniels had some issues and that seems to be a thing of the past. Right now it's the turnovers by Schaub and Rosencopter that are killing this team. A 5-3 record would be where they could be if not for that. I have the faith that they will get this problem corrected.
Old 11-08-2008   #33
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Please read, and tell me . . . is this nothing more than a rehash of what you've already read on a football message board, or already listened to on the radio?

Woudn't you expect a little more insight out of a sports columnist of a major newspaper?

And this quote:

Why is that to be dismissed?

Richard Justice is just telling people what they already know . . . for the day.

And that's exactly what is wrong with him.

Exhibit B:

Richard Justice: Maybe Texans are on the right track after all

He discusses all these positive things from the offense.

He says:

Quote:
They may fire DC Richard Smith after the season and tell you everything is fixed. Maybe he is part of the problem, but anyone that thinks he's the biggest problem is kidding themselves.

The Texans have lousy defensive tackles. Ditto some of their LBs. Their big free-agent signing last summer, CB Jacques Reeves, has been terrible.
Then check out this comment exchange:

Quote:
hey Richard,

Interesting article you've got here.

But it is contrary to what you wrote in July 2008:

"For the first time, the Texans enter a season without a glaring weakness. There are questions about how good they are in the defensive line, about how much Robinson will play and how much football Green has left."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/5897344.html

So which is it? You didn't know what you were talking about then? Or, you don't know what you're talking about now?

Football fans want to know!

[There's a good chance I didn't know what I was talking about either time. Ha ha ha ha. Gulp. Wheeze. Cough. I think they do have a glaring weakness at DT. Maybe. How's that for being definitive? I thought Amobi Okoye and Travis Johnson would play better. Even that position has been better since they've rotated them. I also think a run-stopping DT would help Okoye out. He may not be the problem. That could be the only position where there's a glaring weakness. The LBs and safeties haven't played well at times, but I wouldn't call the problems glaring.--Richard]
Is this what passes for football analysis in Houston Freaking Texas? Fourth largest city in America, and we deserve that? He might as well not write on football. I think RJ is a really hard working guy, but he is out of his element.

The safety position has been a glaring weakness from the beginning of the franchise--it is like the Matt Stevens curse. The linebackers are DeMeco and those other guys, and now are hurt DeMeco and a total experiment.

The only player the Texans have on offense who would be certain to be good no matter what offense he was playing in and who was coaching him is Andre Johnson. And even AJ is on pace for a 120 catch season. (which by the way, was what Kubiak wanted him to have when they first talked when Kubiak was first hired).

The offense has a plan. They can't always effectuate their plan, but you can see progress and direction and you can guess the sorts of players they want.

Their OC, Assistant Head Coach-linemen guy, wide receiver coach, TE coach all have ties to the Kubiak way of doing things.

The defense is all over the place. You never have any sense of who they want to draft or how they think they will get better. Since Smith has been coaching, some years they blitz a lot, some they blitz a little. If opponents describe the defense, the adjective they use the most is "vanilla." Dunta Robinson says that Eugene Wilson comes from one of those defenses that disguises coverages. How novel.

Good coaches give direction, get players that suit that direction and put them in situations to succeed.

It's pretty obvious that when offenses see certain coverages that the Texans are in, they are looking to throw downfield. Where is Jacques Reeves with no safety help? THROW!!!!

Aaron Glenn, I think is the only DB the Texans have had who really had a good feel for grabbing interceptions in coverage. And he is a guy who wasn't trained up under Jon Hoke, a guy who never had a NFL job prior to coming to the Texans.

Drivel indeed.
Old 11-08-2008   #34
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Exhibit B:

Richard Justice: Maybe Texans are on the right track after all

He discusses all these positive things from the offense.

He says:

Then check out this comment exchange:

Is this what passes for football analysis in Houston Freaking Texas? Fourth largest city in America, and we deserve that? He might as well not write on football. I think RJ is a really hard working guy, but he is out of his element.

The safety position has been a glaring weakness from the beginning of the franchise--it is like the Matt Stevens curse. The linebackers are DeMeco and those other guys, and now are hurt DeMeco and a total experiment.

The only player the Texans have on offense who would be certain to be good no matter what offense he was playing in and who was coaching him is Andre Johnson. And even AJ is on pace for a 120 catch season. (which by the way, was what Kubiak wanted him to have when they first talked when Kubiak was first hired).

The offense has a plan. They can't always effectuate their plan, but you can see progress and direction and you can guess the sorts of players they want.

Their OC, Assistant Head Coach-linemen guy, wide receiver coach, TE coach all have ties to the Kubiak way of doing things.

The defense is all over the place. You never have any sense of who they want to draft or how they think they will get better. Since Smith has been coaching, some years they blitz a lot, some they blitz a little. If opponents describe the defense, the adjective they use the most is "vanilla." Dunta Robinson says that Eugene Wilson comes from one of those defenses that disguises coverages. How novel.

Good coaches give direction, get players that suit that direction and put them in situations to succeed.

It's pretty obvious that when offenses see certain coverages that the Texans are in, they are looking to throw downfield. Where is Jacques Reeves with no safety help? THROW!!!!

Aaron Glenn, I think is the only DB the Texans have had who really had a good feel for grabbing interceptions in coverage. And he is a guy who wasn't trained up under Jon Hoke, a guy who never had a NFL job prior to coming to the Texans.

Drivel indeed.
So when AG hangs 'em up (he's still making plays for the Saints!) I wonder if he'd come here to coach our youngsters?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read