Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-04-2008   #21
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Owen Daniels: 133 yards on 11 receptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Porter is on everybody like gangbusters. We aren't getting murdered every week there. We're unable to stop teams that rush the passer well. It's not a disaster, it's just not a strength. We need to get better up there.

Until our offense can consistently run the ball against damn near everybody this is going to be a problem. On a fairly consistent basis I see posts where people insist that we're a "pass first" team and that we should "pass first to setup the run" and that's some intensely retarded thinking right there. Our line is not huge. They are not "road graders" or 330lb monsters. They don't take 4-6 seconds just to run around and they never will. They're smallish, quick, and very much susceptible to being overwhelmed by teams that can rush the passer well IF they spend all afternoon dropping back to pass. This isn't Munchak, Matthews, Dino Steinkuhler and the boys. These guys couldn't hold those players jocks. Warren Moon dropping back to pass as much as he did would be a dead man by now trying to do it behind this group and that's not because our offensive line is bad and these players are crap. That's because they aren't setup to do that stuff. They're supposed to be able to run the ball....a lot. We aren't and that's a problem. We're also passing far too much when we get behind on the road and it becomes a matter of these teams pinning their ears back and overwhelming our line while their fans scream so loud that our QB has to put tape over his ear holes.

Until we can run the ball and keep our opponents from running up 28-31 points a week consistently we'll be no better than a .500 team and lucky to be that (meaning we'll have to be near perfect at home).

Schaub is the perfect QB for what Kubiak wants to do. Thinking that we aren't set at QB is a mistake. The real problem here (on offense) is that we're not doing what Kubiak wants to do yet. We're having some success with this but it's not the kind of offensive production we're looking for. We need to be able to run the ball. We need to be consistently cracking 150 yards on the ground and controlling clock.
Herv, this post is dead on! The traditional ZB O-linemen are usually smaller and quicker (like Denver's) enabling them to get to the 2nd level and clear a hole for the RB to make his "one cut and run." They are not ideal for for the passing game in which a QB can sit in the pocket and pick apart defenses.

Unfortunately for the Texans, they have the QB and WR's for the passing game and the O-linemen for the ZB game. This becomes more apparent when a defense has large D-linemen, able to collapse the pocket and stuff the run game, and the Texans are playing from behind.

I think the answer (at least part) to this is drafting a RB like Stewart or Forte to go along with Slaton and possibly another Center or Guard to shore up the line. I know everyone is calling for more help on Defense, and I agree they need help too, but we are very thin at RB right now with no real help for Slaton except Moats and an oft injured Green. Either way, they need help on both sides of the ball. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #22
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
OD played TE his last two years in college.
Thank you - I thought I had gone brain dead since I didn't remember him as a QB.
Old 11-04-2008   #23
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179775 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Porter is on everybody like gangbusters. We aren't getting murdered every week there. We're unable to stop teams that rush the passer well. It's not a disaster, it's just not a strength. We need to get better up there.

Until our offense can consistently run the ball against damn near everybody this is going to be a problem. On a fairly consistent basis I see posts where people insist that we're a "pass first" team and that we should "pass first to setup the run" and that's some intensely retarded thinking right there. Our line is not huge. They are not "road graders" or 330lb monsters. They don't take 4-6 seconds just to run around and they never will. They're smallish, quick, and very much susceptible to being overwhelmed by teams that can rush the passer well IF they spend all afternoon dropping back to pass. This isn't Munchak, Matthews, Dino Steinkuhler and the boys. These guys couldn't hold those players jocks. Warren Moon dropping back to pass as much as he did would be a dead man by now trying to do it behind this group and that's not because our offensive line is bad and these players are crap. That's because they aren't setup to do that stuff. They're supposed to be able to run the ball....a lot. We aren't and that's a problem. We're also passing far too much when we get behind on the road and it becomes a matter of these teams pinning their ears back and overwhelming our line while their fans scream so loud that our QB has to put tape over his ear holes.

Until we can run the ball and keep our opponents from running up 28-31 points a week consistently we'll be no better than a .500 team and lucky to be that (meaning we'll have to be near perfect at home).

Schaub is the perfect QB for what Kubiak wants to do. Thinking that we aren't set at QB is a mistake. The real problem here (on offense) is that we're not doing what Kubiak wants to do yet. We're having some success with this but it's not the kind of offensive production we're looking for. We need to be able to run the ball. We need to be consistently cracking 150 yards on the ground and controlling clock.
I guess I'll join in to .

I think this is the wrong setup for our division . Any team with a big/strong interior DL is gonna give us fits . It seems what we lack in size we make up for it by not being aggresive . The Titans and Jags are huge in the middle and they drive our center straight back .

My solution would be to decide if Brown can handle LT if so focus on a big /strong G/C in the draft . If not then I think Brown could play guard . I would also try to find a compliment to Slaton ... a bigger back who can wear a defense down . This doesn't seem to hard because Barber , Jacobs , and Turner were all second day backs .
Old 11-05-2008   #24
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
You're right. Kubiak said he hadn't heard of Owen Daniels until Casserly told him about him.

As far going to the Pro Bowl, fat chance.
Agreed.

Pro Bowl voting is like your high school homecoming king and queen. Only the pretty and stylish need apply. Great players on bad team? Good luck.

The Cowboys have done JACK in the playoffs each year, and yet they were one of the teams with the most representation, correct? One of the perennial "bust" teams and they field Pro Bowlers year in and year out.

It's a joke.
Old 11-05-2008   #25
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
This is not be meant as a knock on Owen Daniels, but the reason why he caught 11 passes on Sunday, was because they didn't want AJ catching 11 of them.

You take what the defense gives you.
Early on, AJ was used to free up the other recievers. He would go on deep routes, leaving K-Dub or Daniels wide open in the middle of the field. Later on, though, Schaub just had no time to find him.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read