Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-03-2008   #21
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st and 9 & 11 inches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
Personally, I think he got the first down falling forward after the legs were wrapped up, but was just a bad spot (and to challenge the call based on that spot woulda been nice) but contiinue the fire and pictchfork brigade.

Oh, and close the blinds - I can't see the TV.
If he got a "bad spot", that's the Vikes' challenge, not ours. We get shafted on a call that EVERYONE at home can see, but the official actually THERE can't? WTF?

Was it a game-changing call? Who knows, it certainly didn't help any.

Awful suspicious though...The Vikes had a FAR worse penalty record for the season coming in and suddenly "cleaned up" their act for the Texans? Not likely.
Old 11-03-2008   #22
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
What in the world was this? How could this be a first down? Did that ref even look down?

Probably because they don't measure from the sticks but from the ends of the chain. The ball is beyond that white marker on the last link in the chain, which is what the official is looking at.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #23
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120414 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

THANKYOU! I was thinking the exact SAME thing! Also did the Refs call Pass Interference AT ALL during that damned game? The play before that last sack saw Sage getting HORSECOLLARED...but there was no call. The play PRIOR to that A DB TACKLED a Texans' receiver before the ball EVER got there! This had to be some of the WORST OFFICIATING I've EVER had the misfortune to see. The NFL needs to clean house on some officials. The calls in that game were BULL $h:t!
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #24
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
Probably because they don't measure from the sticks but from the ends of the chain. The ball is beyond that white marker on the last link in the chain, which is what the official is looking at.
Do you have a source for that info?

Not questioning your veracity, but I'd like to read what the "real" rule book says regarding it. (not the watered-down fan version on NFL.com)

I'm skeptical because I've NEVER seen a 1st down called when no part of the ball is even "touching" the sticks.
Old 11-03-2008   #25
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not 100% sure about this but I think that Kubiak couldn't challenge the call. I know the coach can always challenge the spot, but not the measurement call.

Its a judgement call, like pass interference or holding. Those cannot be challenged.

This explains why they missed it....
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #26
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that picture illustrates the Texans' entire season. If something weird and wrong is going to happen, it will happen against the Texans.*

*With the exception of that bizarre Andre Johnson catch against the Dolphins which was strange.
Old 11-03-2008   #27
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Itis measured by the stick,not the chain.
Old 11-03-2008   #28
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 25465 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
If he got a "bad spot", that's the Vikes' challenge, not ours. We get shafted on a call that EVERYONE at home can see, but the official actually THERE can't? WTF?....
It's a bad spot in the general sense. I think the Vikes got further than their spotted ball (need to see a doctor about that) ended up. He was tackled by the legs and fell forward past the 1st down marker, from what it seemed to me.

The Vikes got a first down regardless, but I think they woulda challenged if not spotted as a first down.

I tried finding the rule on what they measure by - chain or stick and couldn't find it. I'm thinking stick.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #29
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Itis measured by the stick,not the chain.
yep.

Quote:
How long is one chain length on the first down chains? --Mick, Denver

The first down chains are made up of one and 7/16th inch links. I called the company that manufactures and supplies field equipment to both the NFL and NCAA. If you mean how long the actual chain is, 10 yards from the outside edge of one pole to the other when stretched for a measurement is the answer.

Source

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read