Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2008   #1
texan9885
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 texan9885 was voted MVPtexan9885 was voted MVPtexan9885 was voted MVPtexan9885 was voted MVP
Default Eugene Wilson Article

Check out this cool article: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6083076.html
texan9885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #2
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49619 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eugene Wilson Article

Great article thanks for the link. Hes made a few big plays already, I hope he keeps it up.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!

Last edited by False Start; 10-30-2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Typo
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #3
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hes rubbing off on our players, Kubiak said. Hes very smart. Hes been in more big games than anybody weve had waltz in our locker room. He handles situations well. Hes got a lot of confidence. Hes cheating in situations where he recognizes a formation or a tendency. Thats how he makes plays.
So, Coach, why was he inactive for so many games? Educate me, because it's never made any sense from my perspective.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #4
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

What a novel F'n idea:

Quote:
Eugene causes a lot of confusion for quarterbacks because hes played the game for a long time. And he comes from the New England system where they move around a lot and they give quarterbacks a lot of different looks. Hes brought that over here, and were just trying to work with that on our secondary.
Giving a QB different looks so they do not know what you are doing? That is just down right cheating. OK, so only Richard Smith thinks that.
Old 10-30-2008   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
What a novel F'n idea:

Giving a QB different looks so they do not know what you are doing? That is just down right cheating. OK, so only Richard Smith thinks that.
Blitz!? No! We might get fined.

--Dick Smith
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #6
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What a novel F'n idea:

I hope we get fined!

[edit] and then I read mex-tex's message
Old 10-30-2008   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What a novel F'n idea:

Haha.

I mentioned that quote in my most recent Chron blog quote. It leapt off the page and smacked me in the face.

It would be absolutely hilarious if it is somebody else's team. Instead it just makes me angry.
Old 10-30-2008   #8
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
So, Coach, why was he inactive for so many games? Educate me, because it's never made any sense from my perspective.
And, why, praytell, did he have to come to you, Coach, and tell you he could make plays? You couldn't figure that out a bit sooner than game 7?
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
Wasn't he learning the defense? We did the same thing with Demps last year. Signed him late and then made him sit out a while before bringing him in.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #10
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9288 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

good find and man i love me some f'ing Eugene Wilson!
Old 10-30-2008   #11
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We definitely got much better results with Wilson in there last week. But I'm still not ready to extoll his smarts after that idiotic pick return fumble nearly cost us the Miami game. He should thanks his lucky stars that the offense (especially AJ) bailed his butt out. Otherwise, he'd be riding the Rosencopter right now. And then he decides to run back another late pick against Cincy this past week.

MEMO TO WILSON: when you get a pick late in a game where we're leading, just get down to the ground unless you have nothing but green in front of you.

Other than that, I hope he and Dunta solidify the secondary.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #12
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
We definitely got much better results with Wilson in there last week. But I'm still not ready to extoll his smarts after that idiotic pick return fumble nearly cost us the Miami game. He should thanks his lucky stars that the offense (especially AJ) bailed his butt out. Otherwise, he'd be riding the Rosencopter right now. And then he decides to run back another late pick against Cincy this past week.

MEMO TO WILSON: when you get a pick late in a game where we're leading, just get down to the ground unless you have nothing but green in front of you.

Other than that, I hope he and Dunta solidify the secondary.
You are calling him an idiots, but not AJ for his fumble that cost us a minimum of 3 points? In three games he has 2 Int, which leads the team. Diles and Reeves each have 1 in a lot less games. Oh the only other Int is from a guy who spent the first 6 games on PUP. He sure as hell is doing more than Petey "wingman" Faggins or Harrison ever thought about doing. Both of those guys were responsible for blown coverages that cost the Texans 14 total points.

My new nickname for Petey is "wingman" cause he is always on a WR six like a wingman is supposed to do but not a CB.

To hang it all on Wilson is just not fair to him or accurate what so ever.
Old 10-31-2008   #13
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are calling him an idiots, but not AJ for his fumble that cost us a minimum of 3 points? In three games he has 2 Int, which leads the team. Diles and Reeves each have 1 in a lot less games. Oh the only other Int is from a guy who spent the first 6 games on PUP. He sure as hell is doing more than Petey "wingman" Faggins or Harrison ever thought about doing. Both of those guys were responsible for blown coverages that cost the Texans 14 total points.

My new nickname for Petey is "wingman" cause he is always on a WR six like a wingman is supposed to do but not a CB.

I'm not calling anyone an ***** (rhymes with midiot--not sure why that needed to be edited). I'm calling his return idiotic. Big difference: smart people can make stupid decisions every now and then. And what Wilson did was a beyond stupid.

Fumbles are not, by themselves, idiotic plays. AJ was trying to score when we were down 21-20. He is our best player and no one on our roster, aside from Ahman Green, has more experience with the ball in his hands. He made a bad play, but I'll happily trust him with the football.

I absolutely do not trust any defensive player with the football--they don't carry it very often, so their ball-protection skills aren't as sharp. That is why, whenever you see a defender make a game-clinching interception, he usually goes straight to the ground to not risk fumbling (unless he has a clear path to paydirt). Wilson absolutely should have done that. He was gaining us nothing by making the return--OK, if he had scored, that would have really iced the game, but he was running into traffic, so his likelihood of scoring was very low. GET DOWN AND LET THE OFFENSE FINISH THE WIN OFF.

That was a cosmically stupid decision on his part, and it nearly cost us a win that was easily in our grasp once he made the pick. Had Schaub not been brilliant on the last drive and AJ thirty-steps-beyond-brilliant on 4th-and-ten, Wilson's mistake would have left us 0-5.

Last edited by Hooston Texan; 10-31-2008 at 07:11 AM. Reason: clarify what the "********" was.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Haha.

I mentioned that quote in my most recent Chron blog quote. It leapt off the page and smacked me in the face.

It would be absolutely hilarious if it is somebody else's team. Instead it just makes me angry.
Didn't we eventually find out that Richard Smith's concept on defense is for it to always look vanilla and then do things out of that base look?

Not exactly my idea of genius. I've never understood why it isn't better to try an cause pre-snap confusion. Whatever unsettles the QB, seems to be the way to go...

Regardless, Wilson's insertion in the defense is another reason to be encouraged by and for it's improvement.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #15
da Bull
Rookie

The one consistency in the Texans, bridging the Capers and Kubiak eras has been John Hoke. I'm the last one to defend Richard Smith as I think he is swimming against the current, but I think that some culpability lies with Hoke.
He was DB Coach when Aaron Glenn was tossed aside for younger, faster guys (Petey Faggins et. al.). Buchanan and Reeves didn't hit the locker room without Hoke signing off on these acquisitions either.

School is still out on Reeves who shows speed over instinct which he may still acquire, but that's debatable. So, for a player the ilk of Dunta to be impressed with Wilson's technique speaks more to coaching, both Hoke and Smith than anything stated to date. Also, if Wilson is an Aaron Glenn type player he probably won't be around long with Hoke driving the DB bus.....too slow.
da Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #16
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He also kinda has a Ring, that makes up for alot.
Old 10-31-2008   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with you about Hoke. Three of the four biggest weaknesses in the organization are holdovers from the C & C regime. I will list the impact of these weaknesses in order.

1. Greir Has not signed one impact FA & helped put us in cap he** during CC era.

2. Riley Led the league in injuries under his watch several times. Have been lucky this year.

3. Hoke Firey leader whose secondaries have stunk for most of his tenure. Being firey & emotional doesn't mean he can judge talent or is good @ his job.( Not playing Bennett over Petey, waiting too long to intergrate Demps last year & Wilson this year into the lineup.)

Until we get rid of all of the CC regime the Texans will never be all they can be.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #18
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Name Title

Smith, Richard Defensive Coordinator
Bush, Frank Senior Defensive Assistant
Franklin, Jethro Defensive Line Coach
Hoke, Jon Defensive Backs Coach
Holland, Johnny Linebackers Coach
Rhodes, Ray Assistant Defensive Backs Coach
Saleh, Robert Defensive Assistant
Carter, Perry Defensive Assistant
Riley, Dan Strength and Conditioning Coach
Wright, Ray Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach
Campbell, Virgil Strength & Conditioning Assistant
Coleman, Everett Strength & Conditioning Assistant

Old 11-03-2008   #19
da Bull
Rookie

After watching yesterdays game and the defensive backs I am more convinced that Hoke is clueless. Right now the talent issue with the defensive backfield is better than it has been since the initial season......but the coaching is not. Kubiak is not putting the individual defensive backs on the field or in position to make plays, Hoke is, but Kubiak is ultimately responsible for the staff.

I wonder how much of a voice Ray Rhodes has in the matter, he was lauded by Kubiak as a great hire. If he is that good, internally let him start making the personal adjustments.......he can't do any worse than Hoke and I'm quite frankly tired of seeing what Hoke doesn't do.
da Bull is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read