Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2008   #21
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 89864 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our Texans: best scoring offense in the AFC, fourth-best in the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Great post and analysis by hooston texan. Must spread rep around yada, yada, yada, but I would give you some if I could.

This tells me that if the QB could get better at ball security, and the D a little better at stopping teams when we have them inside the 20, that number and our total scoring would go up. I really feel this team is a top 5 offense just waiting to break out.
Took care of the rep for you.

I agree that Schaub is too careless with the ball...I don't know how long Kubiak will tolerate it. Ball security is one of his pet peeves.

I do think that we will draft a qb much earlier in the next draft.

Our D? I just don't know...many blame our D coordinator.

I do know that what we are doing on D right now isn't working.

Old 10-25-2008   #22
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 292321 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
I've now scratched out a ranking for us in the four categories I've discussed in this thread (assisted points scored, unassisted points scored, alibi points allowed and non-alibi points allowed). If you're coming into this discussion halfway, here's the terminology:

Unassisted Scoring. The number of points the offense has scored on drives that originate from their own end of the field.
Assisted Scoring. The points a team has scored either on a touchdown return or from drives that began on the opponents' side of the field.
Alibi Scoring. Points that the team allows either on TD returns or when the opponent gets the ball on the wrong side of the 50. In other words, the defense has something of an alibi for the score because the offense or special teams set the opponent up in scoring position.
Non-Alibi Scoring. Points the defense allows when it takes the field on the opponent's side of the 50.

Unassisted Scoring: #6 overall with 124 points
As mentioned above, two teams above us with 125 points each played one more game, so we're #4 in terms of average. This means our offense is generating alot of points without much help. By comparison, Dallas leads with 173 unassisted points. Baltimore and Oakland are tied for last with 54.

Assisted Scoring: Tied (with Dallas) for next-to-last with 16 points.
So the offense is getting almost no help from the D or special teams in getting points. Incredibly, Miami has yet to score an assisted point this season: every single point they've gotten is the result of a long drive (or, against us, a big offensive play). The Jets lead the league with 89 assisted points; they need it because their offense has only generated 65 points to date on long drives.

Alibi Scoring: Tied for 14th with 38 points
This was the surprise to me--with our penchant for turnovers, you'd think we would have given up more here. If you take away Sage's meltdown against the Colts, we'd be #7 with only 24 points allowed. This is about the only thing our defense has done well this year: limit the scoreboard damage from turnovers. The best teams in this area, Atlanta and Jacksonville, have only allowed 10 to date. The worst, Minnesota and San Diego, have each allowed 80.

Non-Alibi Scoring: 31st with 141 points
The team behind us--Denver (149)--has played one more game, so we are the kings in terms of average. What this means is that we can count on the defense surrenduring 24 points every game even if the offense and special teams play it clean. I don't think I need to tell anyone how bad this is, but here's some comparison data. The midpoint teams (GB at 16 and NE at 17) have allowed 94 and 99 points, respectively. The league leader--no suprise, the Titans--have allowed only 53, with Carolina (56) and Pittsburgh (58) close behind.
Great work... I rep'd you already.
and when you get done with this can you work on this sub-prime mortgage mess...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #23
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
It would also be interesting to see percentages as well as raw numbers. For example, 89% of our points are unassisted while 11% is assisted. Those percentages might be very interesting as well.
You asked, so here it is. These are the percentages of unassisted points to total points. The higher the percentage, the more reliant a team is on its offense. As stated in a previous post, the Dolphins have yet to score on a return or a possession that began in their opponents' territory, so their percentage is 100%. Here's the list in descending order:

1. Miami: 100%
Dallas: 91.53
3. Houston: 88.57
Indy: 86.72
5. N.Y. Giants: 82.94
Minnesota: 81.17
Arizona: 79.10
Pittsburgh: 78.72
Jacksonville: 78.23
10. Tennessee: 74.50
Washington: 73.57
Kansas City: 73.33
Detroit: 73.20
Atlanta: 71.94
15. St. Louis: 71.88
Carolina: 70.07
Denver: 69.94
Cleveland: 69.57
Buffalo: 68.46
20. Seattle: 66.36
San Francisco: 65.82
Green Bay: 64.43
New England: 63.85
Cincinnati: 63.27
25.San Diego: 62.50
Philadelphia: 61.08
New Orleans: 60.33
Chicago: 58.16
Oakland: 55.67
30. Tampa: 54.04
Baltimore: 51.43
N.Y.Jets: 42.20
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #24
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice work in this thread, Hooston Texan. Rep coming your way, sir.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #25
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I know you all have been thirsting for updates on how the offense is doing in its "unassisted scoring", so here it is:

The offense scored 28 unassisted points (scoring drives beginning in your own territory) and 7 assisted points last week. Only two teams scored more unassisted points than the Texans last week: New Orleans and San Diego each tallied 30 in their shootout across the pond.

So we are still tops in the AFC having scored 152 unassisted points through 7 games. San Diego has scored 150, but that's over 8 games. Overall, the Texans are still fourth behind Dallas (186), Arizona (156) and the Giants (154).

Here's another fun stat on this: in the last 5 weeks, teams have scored 27 or more unassisted points in a game 17 teams. The Texans did it 4 times; Arizona (twice) is the only other team to hit at least 27 more than once in that span.

As for non-alibi points allowed (points off of drives that your opponent began on his side of the 50), we are no longer the most generous in the league. With the 6 non-alibi points we allowed, our total for the year is 147. Denver (149), Detroit (156), Kansas City (153), St. Louis (151) and Cincy (151) have allowed more. So we're #27!
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read