Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-20-2008   #41
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Did Kubiak just call out Richard Smith?

My understanding is that we have interchangeable safeties, and that's why we don't use a true FS. What I want to know is: Is this just a Rickard Smith thing, or is it also a Kubiak thing? If it's just a Smith thing, that's all the more reason to see him gone. I'm don't like the way this team handles the safety positions, and I'd LOVE to spend a high pick on a true FS. I wouldn't even mind following it with another CB, although that MAY not be necessary.

This interchangeable stuff does NOT work. It just lets the offense know that they're best wide-out can outrun coverage on BOTH sides.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #42
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
It was yet another failure in a Richard Smith defense to let Faggins get burned deep. It's not like we haven't see it before, and I'm afraid that we will see it again as long as RS is our DC.

NEWS FLASH: Almost bankrupt General Motors, in order to save their company, is feverishly working in conjunction with Smith in developing a secret weapon to save his job. They aren't sure if they can produce enough to fit out all the D before Smith is fired.

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #43
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
My understanding is that we have interchangeable safeties, and that's why we don't use a true FS. What I want to know is: Is this just a Rickard Smith thing, or is it also a Kubiak thing? If it's just a Smith thing, that's all the more reason to see him gone. I'm don't like the way this team handles the safety positions, and I'd LOVE to spend a high pick on a true FS. I wouldn't even mind following it with another CB, although that MAY not be necessary.

This interchangeable stuff does NOT work. It just lets the offense know that they're best wide-out can outrun coverage on BOTH sides.
I don't know but apparently the Broncos run the same CB to a side thing.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #44
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
A lot of good points on this thread. I don't know whether it was Faggins failure, but even if he did make a mistake - he should have never been out there alone.

It is not just about one play - it is about understanding the team and the situation in the game. Start of the fourth quarter and coming off a touchdown - we didn't need to get a sack in the endzone, we needed to just keep them in front of us and make them march 95 plus yards and score on us. The 1 thing the coaching staff had to prevent was allowing them to make a quick score - and they completely failed.

That pretty well sums it up.

Old 10-21-2008   #45
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post

Check out Emmanuel Cook from South Carolina.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #46
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Did anyone else notice a number of DL stunts that put 3 & 4 guys trying to blast thru the same gap? I like the "overload one side" idea, but these guys just ran into each other AND the Lions OL. We never seem to stunt from unexpected directions at unexpected times and usually get picked up anyways. Is this a talent or scheme problem?
Old 10-21-2008   #47
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Did anyone else notice a number of DL stunts that put 3 & 4 guys trying to blast thru the same gap? I like the "overload one side" idea, but these guys just ran into each other AND the Lions OL. We never seem to stunt from unexpected directions at unexpected times and usually get picked up anyways. Is this a talent or scheme problem?

You could make the case that it's "the blind leading the blind."
Old 10-21-2008   #48
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

The Bengals self destructed in the 4th quarter of the 38-10 loss to Pittsburgh last Sunday when both their offense and defense collapsed, missing tackles, blowing coverages and dropping passes (resulting in 3 Steelers TDs).....................remind any of you of a familiar pattern? I hope not, but if we aren't careful, this upcoming game could turn into who puts out the greatest effort to lose the game in the 4th quarter..........."hot potato" at its best.
Old 10-22-2008   #49
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Richard Smith & every other DC rolls the dice weighting risk vs reward ratio. Marinelli has been so damn conservative in his playcalling & use of Calvin Johnson so this time he caught coverage with its pants down. hey it happens, but still only two catches in a game for Calvin Johnson, I can live with, having time to throw the deep ball thats another when you press the box.

The Texans lack, have lacked & always lacked since inception speed W/coverage skills over the top with their safeties which should directly point the curser @ the biggest hole on this team, FS. blame Smith all day & his coaching staff but until Rick Smith can address this position with some speed in the draft plays like this will happen unless Texans use cover 2 or soft zone prevent & nobody wants that do they?
Lack of talent doesnt excuse poor play calling! You cannot under any circumstances expect that paticular defense to work in that situation. No matter who is playing FS.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #50
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

On 97.5 the other day, Megan Manfel(?) of the chronicle, said the coach's were taking full responsibility for that play. The personnel were in the defensive formation that was called, and it put the Faggins in a bad position to cover that play.
Old 10-23-2008   #51
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
NEWS FLASH: Almost bankrupt General Motors, in order to save their company, is feverishly working in conjunction with Smith in developing a secret weapon to save his job. They aren't sure if they can produce enough to fit out all the D before Smith is fired.

I hope that's an imported motor
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #52
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Texans View Post
On 97.5 the other day, Megan Manfel(?) of the chronicle, said the coach's were taking full responsibility for that play. The personnel were in the defensive formation that was called, and it put the Faggins in a bad position to cover that play.
Good, we should let Smith take the responsibility for that play and let him suffer the consequences. Get rid of him already, what good does it do the team to wait til the end of the year? If you hire a new DC now then the players get a head start for next year and for the draft.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #53
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Good, we should let Smith take the responsibility for that play and let him suffer the consequences. Get rid of him already, what good does it do the team to wait til the end of the year? If you hire a new DC now then the players get a head start for next year and for the draft.
I've got no problem with that. I do think it's a little early to fire him when you're going for your 3rd win in a row. If we get to the last quarter of the season and the Defense is a weak link, then he's been here long enough....
Old 10-23-2008   #54
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I've got no problem with that. I do think it's a little early to fire him when you're going for your 3rd win in a row. If we get to the last quarter of the season and the Defense is a weak link, then he's been here long enough....
That would be like waiting to shoot a person until after he's already dead.
Old 10-26-2008   #55
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Phil Buchanon is all over the field looking like a Probowler against the Girls today........our coaches couldn't even make him look like a decent water boy.
Old 10-26-2008   #56
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yep , and it was the defense that put them in position to win the previous two huh ? .... 96 yard pass play from a no talent QB to a solid WR .... blown assignment.

Simth has to go and should have been gone yesterday.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read