Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2008   #21
whiskeyrbl

Default Re: Interview with Football Outsiders on the Texans

Another great interview Steph, thanks and keep up the good work.
Old 10-25-2008   #22
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Completely forgot to comment this one after reading it, so... thanks TC, very good stuff.

Our D is as bad as most of us thought it was.

Crap...
Old 10-25-2008   #23
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Great article TC. Wouldn’t mind see a few more interviews with Bill Barnwell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
this cannot be undervalued, Petey Faggins is a hardworker & great teammate.
This may be true but apparently, it can be overvalued. Petey's been the laughing stock of this team since the 2 win season. How he got back on this team after last season's fiasco is a mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
True, but how much of that decision is Richard Smith's, and how much is Kubiak?
This is the best question to come out of this thread.

As most people know, I'm in the fire him now club. Waiting until the end of the season can leave unanswered questions that will make finding a replacement easier.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #24
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
As most people know, I'm in the fire him now club. Waiting until the end of the season can leave unanswered questions that will make finding a replacement easier.
More importantly, since we're dead last we have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO LOSE by getting rid of our DC... now...

wow, I sound pissy
Old 10-25-2008   #25
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

have to disagree with those who want Richard Smith fired, at least now in the middle of the season. lets just wait to see how this season plays out. Been here since the beginning, sold on the 3-4 yet haven't we learned changing systems/coaches in midstream is not excatly the wisest thing to do? case in point firing OC Chris Palmer (who recoverd very nicely one must say up there with the NY Giants winning a SB) for Joe Pendry (who is doing well for himself too with Alabama play calling duties I beleive) leaving the Texans 05 offense in shambles, so maybe its not coaching per say as much as player/coaching staff buying into & executing the game plan. thats why I say give him one more year with an infusion of defensive playmakers from next years draft to address both talent & need

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #26
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow... remember when we used to have one of the best sets of CBs in the league with Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman? Remember when some rookie named Robinson got 6 picks because teams thought better of throwing at those old guys?

Whatever happened to those "old guys"? Wouldn't it have been nice if they had retired here and one of them had become the DB coach?

siiiigh....
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #27
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
this cannot be undervalued, Petey Faggins is a hardworker & great teammate.
Yep and he isn't going anywhere for now. They just can't lock the guy on speed if no one is going to get to the QB. It should be clear at this point that they love the guy. They have a way of doing things and they aren't abandoning those ways.

We're just going to have to dig in with someone at some point. This crap of changing coaches every four years simply doesn't work. Takes time to recover. The first thing a new HC is going to do is throw away Smith and Kubiak's guys for his guys. Switch form four three to thirty four...four years. At some point you give the guy the time he requires. I don't think Richard Smith is doing anything that Kubiak doesn't want him to do. And I also believe Kubiak is doing the best he can with the cards he's been dealt. You believe what you want.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 10-25-2008 at 12:24 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #28
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Yep and he isn't going anywhere for now. They just can't lock the guy on speed if no one is going to get to the QB. It should be clear at this point that they love the guy. They have a way of doing things and they aren't abandoning those ways.

We're just going to have to dig in with someone at some point. This crap of changing coaches every four years simply doesn't work. Takes time to recover. The first thing a new HC is going to do is throw away Smith and Kubiak's guys for his guys. Switch form four three to thirty four...four years. At some point you give the guy the time he requires. I don't think Richard Smith is doing anything that Kubiak doesn't want him to do. And I also believe Kubiak is doing the best he can with the cards he's been dealt. You believe what you want.
winner winner chicken dinner

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-25-2008   #29
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe Faggins will twist an ankle and they'll have to play Bennett again

let me be clear, I don't hate Faggins, it just seems to me that after, what, 7 years, the staff would realize he's reached his ceiling. Both Bennett and Molden have upside to be developed.

...of course that assumes that the coaching staff actually wants to develop defensive players
Old 10-25-2008   #30
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Kubes comes from an offensive background. He's an offensive coach first and foremost, that's his specialty.
I'm aware of that. But, Kubiak was hired as head coach of the Houston Texans. Not offensive coordinator. His responsibility is for the entire team and every element of the game. Offense. Defense. Special teams. Time outs. Challenges. Wins.

Who hired Richard Smith? Gary Kubiak. Who will hire the next defensive coordinator, if Kubiak is allowed to keep his job in 2009? Gary Kubiak. Why does everyone seem to think that Kubiak will get it right the next time?

As far as I'm concerned, Gary Kubiak needs to find a way to win football games with this defense, this season. If that means firing Richard Smith, fine. If that means Kubiak goes in and takes charge of the defense himself, fine. I don't really care how he does it. I don't care who does it. What I care about is the Houston Texans winning football games on a consistent basis. Starting now. Else, Bob McNair needs to find a new coaching staff.
Old 10-25-2008   #31
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm aware of that. But, Kubiak was hired as head coach of the Houston Texans. Not offensive coordinator. His responsibility is for the entire team and every element of the game. Offense. Defense. Special teams. Time outs. Challenges. Wins.

Who hired Richard Smith? Gary Kubiak. Who will hire the next defensive coordinator, if Kubiak is allowed to keep his job in 2009? Gary Kubiak. Why does everyone seem to think that Kubiak will get it right the next time?

As far as I'm concerned, Gary Kubiak needs to find a way to win football games with this defense, this season. If that means firing Richard Smith, fine. If that means Kubiak goes in and takes charge of the defense himself, fine. I don't really care how he does it. I don't care who does it. What I care about is the Houston Texans winning football games on a consistent basis. Starting now. Else, Bob McNair needs to find a new coaching staff.
Must spread the rep................
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #32
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:

so in essence he needs to find a way to outscore opponents rest of the way, else McNair needs to find a new coaching staff, correct?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-25-2008   #33
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219370 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The head coach doesn't always have control over his staff. In many cases, the GM will pick and choose the staff or at least have a huge say in it. Usually the head coach just makes suggestions on who he wants as his coordinators but it's up to the GM to put the staff together.

Now, a powerful well-known coach will obviously have more power and influence in the decision. Someone like Parcells would have complete say in the matter while someone like Wade Phillips doesn't.

In our situation, I think that Kubes does have a big say in the matter. Right now. But if he doesn't address the issue and doesn't address the issue, then he'll probably lose that power and face a choice of losing his job or replacing Richard Smith.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008   #34
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The head coach doesn't always have control over his staff. In many cases, the GM will pick and choose the staff or at least have a huge say in it. Usually the head coach just makes suggestions on who he wants as his coordinators but it's up to the GM to put the staff together.
I would say exactly the opposite. The head coach usually puts the staff together. On occasion, a strong GM (like a Parcells in Miami) or a whacked out owner (like Davis in Oakland) will have the final say on assistants.

Which is besides the point, here in Houston. Kubiak handpicked each of these assistant coaches. The owner may have suggested keeping on Joe Marciano. But, Marciano is one of the better ST coaches in the league and Kubiak's fortunate to have him. These are Kubiak's coaches. These are Kubiak's players. If they aren't good enough to win, the finger should be pointed at no one but Kubiak.
Old 10-26-2008   #35
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89811 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

i'm sorry, i dont like this post. of course the head coach is responsible for every aspect, as is the owner but i dont want mcnair on the sidelines with a playbook and headset. kubiak doesnt need to take charge of the defense (does that mean we can bring in capers to coach the offense? that worked well), he needs to hire coaches who can. who hired smith? kubiak did. and then went after frank bush. and when we struggled again he brought in ray rhodes. and when the blocking wasnt working he brought in alex gibbs. this season's shown that now we're going to have to add to the team by subtracting smith. smith isnt going to be around next season without a superbowl win ... gone in 3 seasons because the talent level is increased but the play hasnt.

he doesnt coach special teams, he's in marciano's ear on the sideline trying to get more from the coach who does and his players. kubiak calls the challanges but he doesnt get a time out to walk upstairs and check the monitors - he's again at the mercy of others. sure that's a lot of passing the buck, but as a fan it's allowed. what i keep seeing more than anything is progress and potential - we're acquiring talent quickly and we're a young team at every single position. that's all kubiak and gm smith, who again kubiak hired.

the staff isnt bad. what it has though is a flat tire that's keeping the entire team from getting up to speed. kubiak's going to do the smart thing "find a way to win football games with this defense, this season". and he's going to do what works next season - hire a coach or two who fit the bill, fire smith, give the defense most of the draft and cap money, and coach the crap out of our offense.
Old 10-26-2008   #36
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2051 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i'm sorry, i dont like this post. of course the head coach is responsible for every aspect, as is the owner but i dont want mcnair on the sidelines with a playbook and headset. kubiak doesnt need to take charge of the defense (does that mean we can bring in capers to coach the offense? that worked well), he needs to hire coaches who can. who hired smith? kubiak did. and then went after frank bush. and when we struggled again he brought in ray rhodes. and when the blocking wasnt working he brought in alex gibbs. this season's shown that now we're going to have to add to the team by subtracting smith. smith isnt going to be around next season without a superbowl win ... gone in 3 seasons because the talent level is increased but the play hasnt.

he doesnt coach special teams, he's in marciano's ear on the sideline trying to get more from the coach who does and his players. kubiak calls the challanges but he doesnt get a time out to walk upstairs and check the monitors - he's again at the mercy of others. sure that's a lot of passing the buck, but as a fan it's allowed. what i keep seeing more than anything is progress and potential - we're acquiring talent quickly and we're a young team at every single position. that's all kubiak and gm smith, who again kubiak hired.

the staff isnt bad. what it has though is a flat tire that's keeping the entire team from getting up to speed. kubiak's going to do the smart thing "find a way to win football games with this defense, this season". and he's going to do what works next season - hire a coach or two who fit the bill, fire smith, give the defense most of the draft and cap money, and coach the crap out of our offense.

I hope you are right about all the things Kubiak is going to do. The record of this front office so far just hasn't proven these definite statements out.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008   #37
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would say exactly the opposite. The head coach usually puts the staff together. On occasion, a strong GM (like a Parcells in Miami) or a whacked out owner (like Davis in Oakland) will have the final say on assistants.

Which is besides the point, here in Houston. Kubiak handpicked each of these assistant coaches. The owner may have suggested keeping on Joe Marciano. But, Marciano is one of the better ST coaches in the league and Kubiak's fortunate to have him. These are Kubiak's coaches. These are Kubiak's players. If they aren't good enough to win, the finger should be pointed at no one but Kubiak.

To be fair, when the Texans were looking for DCs, there weren't a bunch of great candidates out there. The other candidates that were mentioned at the time aren't exactly lighting up the league. One got fired from Denver after one season. One is a secondary coach. At the time, there weren't too many coaches available where you would say--we need to get that guy.
Old 10-26-2008   #38
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89811 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNTLEWOLF View Post
[/b]

I hope you are right about all the things Kubiak is going to do. The record of this front office so far just hasn't proven these definite statements out.
from your bold, the only thing we havent done in each season is fire smith.
Old 10-26-2008   #39
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:

This is one time I have to take a lesson from Pete...
Quote:
We're just going to have to dig in with someone at some point. This crap of changing coaches every four years simply doesn't work. Takes time to recover. The first thing a new HC is going to do is throw away Smith and Kubiak's guys for his guys. Switch form four three to thirty four...four years. At some point you give the guy the time he requires.
We need to give this org time to get the job done. As long as we're seeing concrete progress from year to year leave the man alone and let him do the job.

And yes, Kubiak hired Richard Smith. But, as others have said, when we were looking for a DC, who else was out there? All the really good ones had jobs. And unless its with respect to an upgrade in job position, no team has to let you talk to anyone on their staff about jumping onboard your ship.

Unless we see a grand improvement in the defense the rest of the season, I'd be willing to bet Smith is gone next year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read