Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2008   #41
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21626 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Petey Faggins

I want people who defend faggins to really think about this. How many playofff quality teamshave a 3rd corner as bad as fagginss? 0. Why? Because the trend has been going like this for yrs that ur 3rd corner plays 60% of the snaps. In essence, the 3rd corner plays more than the slb. That's why ur team either needs to have a 3rd corner or a matchup safety that can cover like a corner. Just think in the the division with th teams and tell me who does petey match up with as a nickel or dime back. Is he gong to cover clark or gonzales in indy? Can he cover northcutt or even mercedes? Can he cover scaife or any of the 3rd type guys titans have? So lets expand outside the divison. Show me 1 3rd wr you feel confortable with faggins playing against in the slot. I mean this week, he's eithergoing to get tj or henry. If you think the nickel or dime cbcan be as weak as faggins, then obviously ur not thinking about the playoff potential.
Old 10-22-2008   #42
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 23 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I want people who defend faggins to really think about this. How many playofff quality teamshave a 3rd corner as bad as fagginss? 0. Why? Because the trend has been going like this for yrs that ur 3rd corner plays 60% of the snaps. In essence, the 3rd corner plays more than the slb. That's why ur team either needs to have a 3rd corner or a matchup safety that can cover like a corner. Just think in the the division with th teams and tell me who does petey match up with as a nickel or dime back. Is he gong to cover clark or gonzales in indy? Can he cover northcutt or even mercedes? Can he cover scaife or any of the 3rd type guys titans have? So lets expand outside the divison. Show me 1 3rd wr you feel confortable with faggins playing against in the slot. I mean this week, he's eithergoing to get tj or henry. If you think the nickel or dime cbcan be as weak as faggins, then obviously ur not thinking about the playoff potential.
We can bash Faggins all we want and talk about the playoffs, he sucks, can't get us to the playoffs etc. That's great. Guess what, we don't have a bunch of other options waiting to fill in for him at this point. Once Dunta is up to speed (however many weeks that is) and Bennett pulls his head out and the coaches start him again we'll be in better shape, and then hopefully Faggins will be used only in dime situations and on special teams and everyone can quit bitching (about him). Show me a corner in the NFL that have never been toasted - and I'll bet you he's never been in the lineup.
BuffaloglennTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008   #43
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
What do you want the Texans to do exactly? Go out and sign a starting caliber CB? Oh wait, there aren't any.
Make a trade with someone for a starting caliber CB? Oh yeah, there are none of those either.

Petey got burned on a 96 yarder against CJ when he was going one on one with the guy. Any coach should have seen that as a potential problem. Faggins isn't 4.3 fast, so to put him one on one with a 4.3 receiver is just a bad idea. Other than that, CJ was basically held catchless. I thought he actually played a decent game (other than that one mistake, which I still blame the scheme on)

No one on this board is going to argue that Faggins is "good" or "great." Last year, he ranked in the bottom 10 of cornerbacks if you look at his metrics (average yards allowed per pass attempt direct his way). Is he starting material? Not for a lot of teams. But to say he needs to be replaced just doesn't make sense. Replaced by whom, exactly? Obviously the coaching staff doesn't feel like Molden is ready. With the exception of last Sundays gross mis-play, I think he is actually having a better year than last year

If it will make you feel any better, check out this highlight video of Saints starter Fred Thomas from last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT9BmG7_PJ4

Last edited by gtexan02; 10-22-2008 at 07:57 AM.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008   #44
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloglennTX View Post
Can TO be covered one-on-one? No. Can our own Andre Johnson be covered one-on-one? No.
Bingo!

Most people around here are screaming 'THROW IT TO DRE!' everytime someone puts him in single cover. Same goes for other teams and Calvin Johnson. Leaving corners one-on-one with these guys is just asking for a slap in the face.
Old 10-22-2008   #45
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21626 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Its onee thing to be slow as a corner, its another to be slow and have poor technique. As a corner in press playing against a guy like calvin, u have to get ur hands on the guy and re direct him. That's just poor technique. Then in previous weeks, he was giving up inside leverage. That's also poor technique. To another poinnt, woodson and tramon williams held wayne and marvin to 5 catches and about 50 yds total. Springs locked down t.o. If you have a memory, clements used to shut johnson down. Now i'll give u those guys are good corners, but I thought bennett should hhave been on johnson. If petey is going to make young player mistakes, u might as well play the young guys.
Old 10-22-2008   #46
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
But the Texans have the talent to compete if only the co-ordinator used them right...

suuuuurrre....

That's why we've failed to find an upgrade over Petey Faggins since our inception....

That's why we can afford for players to get hurt...Because of all the talent and depth we have that our D-coordinator fails to use...

Question: Haynesworth is a beast. Does the Titans defense take a huge step back if he misses a game or two?

Question: Mario is a beast. Would our defense miss him much if he had to sit out a game or two?

With all the serviceable talent we have, I'm guessing no. We could always depend on other guys to step up and atleast play at a winning level right ?

The only scheme that keeps Petey from getting burnt is one that keeps him on the sidelines...

All it says is that Faggins screwed up more than Smith did. Faggins should've been back & whether that was faggins freestyling out there or called for in the defensive call is really not known & no one is talking so.... but Smith's defensive call in the secondary shouldn't have never called for Faggins to be left 1 on 1 with CJ with no safety help in the 1st place.

Yeah Detroit hadn't moved the ball well all game save for 1 drive & yeah, they were backed up in the shadow of their own goal posts which most teams don't like to throw backed up that far in their own area. But even with all that, you still had to figure that they were going to come out throwing that drive b/c they were down by 3 scores at that point & throwing the ball in hopes of gettting a quick strike was the only way they were gonna get back in the game....& they got just that aided in no small part by Faggins & Smith.

All it does is make his defensive call in the secondary look even more inexplicable.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008   #47
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
but Smith's defensive call in the secondary shouldn't have never called for Faggins to be left 1 on 1 with CJ with no safety help in the 1st place.
You want the man to call creative plays yet cover up for every players deficiencies at the same time?

Faggins would need a safety over his head all game long in order to assist him in not getting burned....You don't think that'd severley limit the d-coordinator? According to Demeco he's already limited in the blitzes he can call because of personnel...

Yeah, we do need the second coming at D-coordinator if we're going to turn these same guys into a good defensive unit.

Last edited by Polo; 10-22-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2008   #48
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You want the man to call creative plays yet cover up for every players deficiencies at the same time?

Faggins would need a safety over his head all game long in order to assist him in not getting burned....You don't think that'd severley limit the d-coordinator? According to Demeco he's already limited in the blitzes he can call because of personnel...

Yeah, we do need the second coming at D-coordinator if we're going to turn these same guys into a good defensive unit.
A coach's job is to put his players/team in the best positions to make plays & ultimately win the game. Tell me, which of those did smith accomplish by leaving his 2nd CB out like that against the team's # 1 deep threat? The situation dictates what you do at that point. It hadn't really been a close game up to that point & all he had to do was let the clock work against the lions by calling defensive plays that call for them to dink & dunk down the field. sure they might score, but they assuredly will have taken 3-5 minutes or more off the clock....if they didn't wind up punting the ball or turning the ball over. Remember this was the lions we were playing not the friggin' 2007 patriots. That whole series Petey & Reeves should've had safeties over the top to discourage the deep throw & quick score..& it would've been nothing wrong with that. You don't see teams on offense up by 3 scores in the 4th quarter chunking hail marys do ya? no they run clock & then assume the victory formation at about the 2 minute mark.

Im not saying we have the best talent out there to shut down opponents b/c we obviously don't have that, but as i've stated before, too often the coaching is working against the players & Smith is the #1 culprit of that. The game was made tougher than it should've been b/c both parties screwed up.
Old 10-22-2008   #49
Polo

Do you realize that Smith had been leaving both Reeves and Faggins one on one with CJ all day?
Old 10-22-2008   #50
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Do you realize that Smith had been leaving both Reeves and Faggins one on one with CJ all day?
1 on 1 as in man coverage? i don't know about that.... Detroit didn't hit on many passes but the ones they did hit on were those post corners to furrey & that suggests to me they played cover 2 alot. He might've been doing it every so often but i forgot to record the game so i couldn't rewatch it when i got home.

In any case it wouldn't surprise me that Smith would do that....Which raises another question. If Demeco is saying Smith feels limited in his blitz packages b/c of personnel, what makes smith think that he's so much more flexible in the secondary that he can afford to let his Cb's play only 1 side of the field regardless of who's over there? ....it just makes no sense.
Old 10-22-2008   #51
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
If Demeco is saying Smith feels limited in his blitz packages b/c of personnel, what makes smith think that he's so much more flexible in the secondary that he can afford to let his Cb's play only 1 side of the field regardless of who's over there? ....it just makes no sense.
Demeco didn't say Smith felt limited....

He said that he thought the personnel wasn't suited for that...

And Corners playing on one side of the field isn't something Richard Smith came up with and decided to use...
Old 10-24-2008   #52
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4090 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Basically we cannot pick a good corner to shake a stick at. I can name several bad corners we have had or have

Jaques, Notime, Faggins
Old 10-25-2008   #53
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2316 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
They were not playing hide the Petey. Give the guy some credit. He is a very good Cover guy on short to medium passing routes. I am all for guys having opinions and blowing off steam on message boards but the way some of you guys act when players make mistakes is just a TAD bit rediculous.

Petey cannot cover deep, well known fact. He should have had safety help over the top. That was either a coaching issue or a blown assignment by Harrison.

If your argument is Bennett should have been on the field instead then I 100% agree with you. But to say Petey shouldnt be on the team or on the field as a nickle or dime back is inacurate.
Cover guy Really? I gues you must mean those plays when it is third and 8 and he gives a ten yard cushion.... I wont even begin to list the amount of game we have lost because of teams throwing at him to convert crucial third downs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
And thats the point, its not just speed guys. EVERYONE makes catches. Look at some stats and see how many 3rd and 8+ we give up. I bet its sickening.
obviously, bigbull has been paying attention...that or reading my "for the love of God someone please make a stop on third down threads." What is even more sickening if you look on those third and 8 plays the number of times Petey's name will turn up. He covers them but unfortunately it is after the first down marker.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #54
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 112650 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

TC's blog addressed this issue yesterday. For those who haven't checked it out, here's what her special guest from Football Outsiders had to say about our CB decision

Quote:
Last year, Bennett rated out as one of the best cornerbacks in the league by our metrics. Teams targeted Bennett 15% of the time when he was a starter, but Bennett succeeded in preventing teams from getting a healthy chunk of the yardage necessary for (or even from achieving) a first down 61% of the time. That was second-best in all of football. Passes in his direction averaged only 4.4 yards per attempt, best in football. When he [Bennett] was on the opposing team's best receiver, he averaged 4.0 yards per attempt and a 63% success rate; Dunta Robinson averaged 7.8 yards per attempt and a 61% success rate, while DeMarcus Faggins averaged 10.4 yards per attempt and an abysmal 36% success rate. Bennett defensed -- directly prevented a completion by knocking a pass away or taking a catch away from a player -- on 17 of the 63 passes thrown to him. Faggins and Robinson combined for 13 defenses on 95 passes.

Fast-forward a year, and Bennett's been benched for Faggins, and with the return of Robinson, could be fourth on the depth chart. That's insane. Now, of course, just because Bennett had a good statistical half-a-year doesn't mean he's the best corner in the league; he undoubtedly got help from safeties in coverage (but then again, so did Robinson and especially Faggins), and he'd struggled some early this year. That being said, is Faggins really the answer? Has he ever shown anything resembling the level of ability that Bennett showed last year in the six seasons he's played for Houston. Not even close. Ignoring that to play Faggins is silly, and if you want to fire Richard Smith, that would be the first reason why.
There you have it. An independent assessment from someone "with no dog in the fight". Faggins sucks.

It also strikes me as interesting that Phillip Buchanon somehow turned into a decent CB when he got to Tampa Bay. Of course it could be that Aqib Talib is breathing down his neck.
Old 10-25-2008   #55
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

herd mentality

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #56
spek
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i always laugh when iam under pressure maybe he cant help it
I laugh when I get hurt really bad and am in alot of pain.
People just have different ways of dealing with things.
spek is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read