Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > The Blazing Arrow "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The Blazing Arrow "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 10-20-2008   #121
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Titans to consider donning Oilers' throwback jersey in '09.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
The Oilers are not dead they just evolved to a higher place. No Oilers team started out 6-0 in a season and no Oiler team went to the Super Bowl. The team is the team. Should the SF Giants drop the NY history?
You wouldn't have a clue about anything that has to do with the Oilers. Here you are trying to tell us what we should think, but yet you find a condescending way of acting like the Titans are superior to what the Oilers were and rub it in our noses?

You're just a band wagon jumper who hopped on the Titans when they went over to Tennessee. The jerseys are not the Oilers jerseys, nor do they say Oilers on them.

Going from Houston to Tennessee is a higher place? You don't belong in this discussion any way, so why don't you find a nice dirt road in Nashville or some other backwoods town out there and get lost. Go hunt for a possum or have a teeth counting contest, or whatever it is you guys do in that state.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #122
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
You wouldn't have a clue about anything that has to do with the Oilers. Here you are trying to tell us what we should think, but yet you find a condescending way of acting like the Titans are superior to what the Oilers were and rub it in our noses?

You're just a band wagon jumper who hopped on the Titans when they went over to Tennessee. The jerseys are not the Oilers jerseys, nor do they say Oilers on them.

Going from Houston to Tennessee is a higher place? You don't belong in this discussion any way, so why don't you find a nice dirt road in Nashville or some other backwoods town out there and get lost. Go hunt for a possum or have a teeth counting contest, or whatever it is you guys do in that state.

Pssst... Arrow is from that colorful 'special' *not that there's anything wrong with that* area in northern California.
Old 10-20-2008   #123
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

lots of differing opinions. i think it would be kinda cool to see the Texans in the old Oilers uniforms but I guess I still have a little spot in my heart for those damn Oilers.

most of the player's hearts are still in Houston. Bum, Earl, Mauck, and even current Titans assistant coach Bruce Matthews has stated as much....and Bruce played a good portion of his career in Tennessee.

I ain't gonna hate on the Titans. they have done real well since they got to Tennessee. Just shows you how important a good head coach is. They don't have the most talent in the league but they are probably the strongest team this season. It's a good brand of football they are playing. run the ball, dominate the line of scrimmage, and just murder people on defense.
Old 10-20-2008   #124
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Pssst... Arrow is from that colorful 'special' *not that there's anything wrong with that* area in northern California.
Oh, so he's basically a band wagoner any way ha? I really don't care where he's from. I don't mind other fans coming here wanting to talk football, but he has clearly came into this exact thread at least twice now attempting to down grade our history as fans while rubbing it in our noses as well. I guess certain Californians like to just pick teams to root for since they don't have any of their own in certain cities.
Old 10-20-2008   #125
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh, so he's basically a band wagoner any way ha? I really don't care where he's from. I don't mind other fans coming here wanting to talk football, but he has clearly came into this exact thread at least twice now attempting to down grade our history as fans while rubbing it in our noses as well. I guess certain Californians like to just pick teams to root for since they don't have any of their own in certain cities.
You have to basically laugh it away man...

Tinnbread fans want the history when its conveniently good history, but then, stay away from it when it's something bad like the Buffalo game. If you're ever bored just go back and read some of the previous threads (you can start with the VY sausage thread). Once you glance through it or some of the others, you'll definitely see a theme.

The only one I know that was a fan of the Houston Oilers and actually followed the team was ChildressMan79. The irony being that Ray was born in Tennessee before going to Texas A&M and subsequently being here since (sans one year with the Cowboys)
Old 10-20-2008   #126
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Far be it from me to defend a Titans fan, but BA has always said that he's been a Houston Oilers fan ever since he was a kid. Not being from the Houston area, he doesn't have the local ties to the team, so he just rooted for the franchise when they moved. (He and I have gone around this very issue on numerous occasions, as I could never understand why he wouldn't just root for his own hometown team with a history of championship successes...but that's another story for another day. I do believe him, though, that he's been an Oilers/Titans for a long while.)

IF the Texans were to ever sport another franchise's uniforms, I'd be highly disappointed in them. However, I'd prefer they go with Gamblers colors instead of the Oilers (whose franchise is still in existence as evidenced by this thread). If I take away nostalgia for our old Luv Ya Blue team, I think the Gamblers had cooler looking unis, logo, and colors. JMO
Old 10-20-2008   #127
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
IF the Texans were to ever sport another franchise's uniforms, I'd be highly disappointed in them. However, I'd prefer they go with Gamblers colors instead of the Oilers (whose franchise is still in existence as evidenced by this thread). If I take away nostalgia for our old Luv Ya Blue team, I think the Gamblers had cooler looking unis, logo, and colors. JMO
I loved the Oilers uniforms.

The tacks don't deserve to look that cool. (among other reasons)
Old 10-20-2008   #128
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Quote:

I was a fan before they were the Titans and I still remain a fan. You assume I have no clue what the Oilers franchise is about while knowing nothing about me. Take your condensing stereo types and shove them. FWIW most of the country feels like people from Texas are cattle humping want to be cowboys who would be lucky if they knew how to dial a phone. Stereo typing people just makes you look ignorant. But please tell me about my teeth and lack of education. I will go hide under my two degrees.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #129
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Far be it from me to defend a Titans fan, but BA has always said that he's been a Houston Oilers fan ever since he was a kid. Not being from the Houston area, he doesn't have the local ties to the team, so he just rooted for the franchise when they moved. (He and I have gone around this very issue on numerous occasions, as I could never understand why he wouldn't just root for his own hometown team with a history of championship successes...but that's another story for another day. I do believe him, though, that he's been an Oilers/Titans for a long while.)

He may have been an Oiler fan or whatever, but he is coming into a Texans board and rubbing salt on old wounds. I'm a die hard Texans fan, but I'll still cherish my Oilers memories as well and the "Luv ya blue", expression will always run in my veins just as the Texans pride does now. I knew a few of the players back then and some of the coaches as well. I still have old memorabilia of the Oilers stuff in my office.

Saying that the Titans went to a higher place is not only stupid, but uncalled for and an insult to our city in general. Bragging on a 6-0 record and waving it around saying how the Oilers of old were never this good and yada yada yada is just an attempt to cheapen what the old Oilers were.
Old 10-20-2008   #130
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I was a fan before they were the Titans and I still remain a fan. You assume I have no clue what the Oilers franchise is about while knowing nothing about me. Take your condensing stereo types and shove them. FWIW most of the country feels like people from Texas are cattle humping want to be cowboys who would be lucky if they knew how to dial a phone. Stereo typing people just makes you look ignorant. But please tell me about my teeth and lack of education. I will go hide under my two degrees.
You can call yourself an Oilers fan all you want, but no real Oilers fan would be coming in here and attempting to cheapen what we did back in the 90's or 80's by saying something like "They've moved to a higher place". We don't need to hear you brag on your team's record in here while trying to bring up the fact that "No Oilers teams ever could do that", or "no Oilers teams could ever go to a SB".

BiPolar Titan fan comes in here and discusses football politely and respectfully. He made his case and gave his opinions in here with respect that this is a Texans board and all. You came in here to take a few cheap shots and crack a few. And you're trying to accuse me of stereotyping you after you say that the Oilers left town to go to a HIGHER place, and then return with your own stereotypes about us being cowboys who can't dial a phone? Maybe I do need to put a cowboy hat on and my boots as well, because your BS is getting to deep for me.

And for the record, I bet that Oilers team of 93 with Gary Brown, Warren Moon, and many others would put a nice beating on this current Titans team.
Old 10-20-2008   #131
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He may have been an Oiler fan or whatever, but he is coming into a Texans board and rubbing salt on old wounds. I'm a die hard Texans fan, but I'll still cherish my Oilers memories as well and the "Luv ya blue", expression will always run in my veins just as the Texans pride does now. I knew a few of the players back then and some of the coaches as well. I still have old memorabilia of the Oilers stuff in my office.

Saying that the Titans went to a higher place is not only stupid, but uncalled for and an insult to our city in general. Bragging on a 6-0 record and waving it around saying how the Oilers of old were never this good and yada yada yada is just an attempt to cheapen what the old Oilers were.
I understand your perspective, Tex. I really do...

But, I have let the past go and choose not to live there anymore. I will always appreciate our city's football history. Good times, bad times, warts and all. They are just memories now. And nothing we do, say, or believe, will ever bring it back to the way things were.

I hate the Titans as much as anybody. I was a diehard Cowboys hater until the Titans were created. Now, I can barely give a rat's azz what happens to the girls. My hatred for the Titans eclipses anything/everything that I have disliked about Dallas' team.

All that being said....we, the fans, own the memories. Pud can never take that away. As long as each of us draws a breath from this planet, we will always have those memories (some I wish I could forget, too *cough*35-3*cough*).

The fact remains, however, that the Oilers/Titans were always Pud's team. The colors, the symbols, the records...all of it is OWNED by Pud. Always has been. And I cannot escape the basic fact that Pud and his franchise are intertwined, represent each other, and are inseparable.

So to hold on to those symbols and those colors, only serves to hold onto that which is Pud. Because the uniforms are not what our memories are made of. They are just the decoration to the great football games and players we remember.

After Pud dryhumps the carcass of those symbols, then the cycle of greed is complete. And all that will really mean anything about our old team is the word HOUSTON at the end of the day. JMO
Old 10-20-2008   #132
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh, so he's basically a band wagoner any way ha?
Since you do not know the definition of the word I will help you out.

Bandwagon:

1. a cause or movement that is gaining popularity and support

So tell me again how a back water team as you like to call them who has never won a championship is routing for a 'popular' team. They were not to popular during the Billy Joe years I can tell you that!

Quote:
I really don't care where he's from. I don't mind other fans coming here wanting to talk football, but he has clearly came into this exact thread at least twice now attempting to down grade our history as fans while rubbing it in our noses as well. I guess certain Californians like to just pick teams to root for since they don't have any of their own in certain cities.
No one has down graded your history. As allot of you like to point out it has been 40 years without a championship and now we look to have yet another team in contention in 10 seasons. It seems what ever we are doing is giving us the shots at a title at least.

Who would you chose if it were the Raiders or Titans?

Old 10-20-2008   #133
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Bandwagon:

So tell me again how a back water team as you like to call them who has never won a championship is routing for a 'popular' team. They were not to popular during the Billy Joe years I can tell you that!

No one has down graded your history. As allot of you like to point out it has been 40 years without a championship and now we look to have yet another team in contention in 10 seasons. It seems what ever we are doing is giving us the shots at a title at least.

Who would I choose? I would choose where I'm from of course. I was a huge Joe Montana fan and 49er fan when Joe and Jerry were there growing up, but I never had them or any other team I liked over the Oilers because I am a Houstonian born and raised and I was raised into the culture of being a Houston fan and I will always be one EVEN WHEN I"M DEAD.

The Titans are not the Oilers. They are the Titans. I laugh at these pathetic fans out here in Houston that still try acting like they are the Oilers as well and not supporting the Texans. To me they are a disgrace, when they come into Reliant rooting for the Titans.

I don't know exactly where you are from, but I would think that you would be a Niner fan or a Raiders fan if you're from Northern Cali.
Old 10-20-2008   #134
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Check out the Astrodome's myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/houstonastrodome

If you are talkign about the temporary bleachers by the outfield wall, I've been down there a few times but our tickets were in section 430(ish)
I hate myspace, but that is pretty sweet
Old 10-20-2008   #135
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Bandwagon:

Not trying to be a **** but I think I would choose my hometown team and stick with them thick and thin
Old 10-20-2008   #136
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Raiders if I were from No Cal. Both teams have screwball owners however the Raiders have a rich NFL history and tradition.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #137
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, for all the attention we give and raging debate we have over this subject I imagine this has no impact whatsoever on the Texans. We might want to see them wear that uniform or see the Titans never put it on again but I bet the Texans response to this would go something like

"Titans to consider donning Oilers' throwback jersey in '09"
"Texans to consider giving a crap if it happens"
Old 10-20-2008   #138
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
The Raiders if I were from No Cal. Both teams have screwball owners however the Raiders have a rich NFL history and tradition.
The Marcus Allen incedent finally killed any love I had for that team.

I do like the 9ers and have seen the majority of the games they have played.

Why aren't any of you Cowboys fans? When the Oilers left it was not certain you would get another team and that is a team with a rich history and allot of wins to cling onto.

Old 10-20-2008   #139
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
FWIW most of the country feels like people from Texas are cattle humping want to be cowboys who would be lucky if they knew how to dial a phone.

And what does the rest of the country think of people from NoCal?

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old 10-20-2008   #140
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Quote:

I don't know exactly where you are from, but I would think that you would be a Niner fan or a Raiders fan if you're from Northern Cali.
I actually am pretty close to the A's/Raiders stadium. I was there on Friday night. You have to realize that at the time I was a kid the Raiders moved and then came back. Would you root for the Titans if they returned to Houston today? Would they be the same team to you?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > The Blazing Arrow "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read