Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 10-20-2008   #101
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 164415 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Titans to consider donning Oilers' throwback jersey in '09.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
Uh...I don't know bout that. I think Texans fans do not want anything Oilers ever worn again.

Houston has the Texans. There is NO going back. The Oilers are dead.

I don't agree with this. I collect Oilers stuff right alongside my Texans stuff. Of course I also keep an eye out for Gamblers stuff as well. I wouldn't wear an Oiler jersey to a Texans game but I'd own one and I'd wear it.
Old 10-20-2008   #102
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 164415 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
After Bud dies, I think a class move by his inheritors/family, would be to give us our Oiler tradition, record books, and uniforms back. Let Tennesse start their own tradition, for crying out loud they have already done more in Tennessee than they ever did in Houston.

I would cry tears of joy if I ever saw the Texans play in the old Oilers uniform. It's already obvious that the Oilers werent what was cursed. It's our city.
While nothing like this in this world is permanent I do not think this will be possible. I expect that the deal was made with the understanding that this was not to be skirted around once Bud was in the cold hard ground. Once he's dead it will become a case of going against the wishes of the deceased team founder and nobody wants that.

I would like to see it too but the word "forever" was used repeatedly when this BS "retiring" of the name Oilers was announced.
Old 10-20-2008   #103
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
After Bud dies, I think a class move by his inheritors/family, would be to give us our Oiler tradition, record books, and uniforms back. Let Tennesse start their own tradition, for crying out loud they have already done more in Tennessee than they ever did in Houston.

I would cry tears of joy if I ever saw the Texans play in the old Oilers uniform. It's already obvious that the Oilers werent what was cursed. It's our city.

I agree in the fact that I would love to see the Texans in retro jerseys as the Oilers. This is still a Houston football team and the Oilers were a Houston football team.

However, stop with the whole "We're cursed and the city is cursed". I hate when I hear any fans say that, and it sounds weak. This city is not cursed. The Rockets won two championships. The Oilers should have won a SB, but they screwed up and that was what happened. They were a really good team in the AFC for many years though. They just didn't get it done. The Texans are not cursed. They just have made bad decisions with a lot of players, management, and coaching. Eventually the cycle of the NFL will favor the Texans and we'll be a top team for a while at some point. How good will they be or how much will they achieve is yet to be known, but we'll get there.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #104
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
Uh...I don't know bout that. I think Texans fans do not want anything Oilers ever worn again.

Houston has the Texans. There is NO going back. The Oilers are dead.
I'm a huge Oiler fan and have been since the early 70's and would love to see some sort of tribute to MY team here in Houston...but not too thrilled about it in Nashvegas. The Oilers may very well be dead but luv ya blue lives on forever...at least till us fans die out.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #105
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm a huge Oiler fan and have been since the early 70's and would love to see some sort of tribute to MY team here in Houston...but not too thrilled about it in Nashvegas. The Oilers may very well be dead but luv ya blue lives on forever...at least till us fans die out.
Although this wouldn't happen Vinny, but how would you feel if the Texans were able to wear old Oilers jerseys as their retros?? I would feel proud personally, because I don't associate the Oilers with the Titans and never have.
Old 10-20-2008   #106
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of us were there...

Some of us even remember that the Oilers had cheerleaders (albeit with "big hair"), until Pud's cheap a$$ got rid of them....

Old 10-20-2008   #107
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Some of us were there...

Some of us even remember that the Oilers had cheerleaders (albeit with "big hair"), until Pud's cheap a$$ got rid of them....

Awsome!!! Great pics! Did you find those on Google images? I would like to find some more.
Old 10-20-2008   #108
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Awsome!!! Great pics! Did you find those on Google images? I would like to find some more.
Yup.. But it's not as easy of a search as you might think...
Old 10-20-2008   #109
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yup.. But it's not as easy of a search as you might think...
Yeah, I figured that. That is exactly why I asked hoping you found them somewhere else.

By the way, when I was a kid my family and I always sat in the end zone at the dome. I think it was called THE BULLPEN back then, but I'm not totally sure. the Bull Pen might have been on the other side.

However, the end zone side that we used to sit at was the most fun I ever used to have at football games. There were so many character types of fans that were always in that section. If some of you sat back there ever do any of you remember this one group of guys that would dress up in different costumes every single week? They didn't really wear Oiler's gear, they would wear different stuff that was just strange but it was really cool back then because it was so different. This group of guys (About 4) were on the news quite a bit and would be pointed out. I was curious if anyone in here used to sit back there ever and remembered any of this?
Old 10-20-2008   #110
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Although this wouldn't happen Vinny, but how would you feel if the Texans were able to wear old Oilers jerseys as their retros?? I would feel proud personally, because I don't associate the Oilers with the Titans and never have.
I would love to see that if we had other circumstances for sure.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #111
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52985 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9nines View Post
‘2) Why do past Oilers fan have to be Texans fans and not like the Titans? I followed the Oilers all my life and to me the team never moved because it is located in place where it can never leave – my heart. So even if the team were to move again, I will still follow it and be a fan of it.
So if your wife ever leaves you for another man will you feel like she never really left because she is located in your heart? Would you actually say "that's my girl!" while watching some toothless hillbilly slobbering all over her?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #112
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, I figured that. That is exactly why I asked hoping you found them somewhere else.

By the way, when I was a kid my family and I always sat in the end zone at the dome. I think it was called THE BULLPEN back then, but I'm not totally sure. the Bull Pen might have been on the other side.

However, the end zone side that we used to sit at was the most fun I ever used to have at football games. There were so many character types of fans that were always in that section. If some of you sat back there ever do any of you remember this one group of guys that would dress up in different costumes every single week? They didn't really wear Oiler's gear, they would wear different stuff that was just strange but it was really cool back then because it was so different. This group of guys (About 4) were on the news quite a bit and would be pointed out. I was curious if anyone in here used to sit back there ever and remembered any of this?

Check out the Astrodome's myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/houstonastrodome

If you are talkign about the temporary bleachers by the outfield wall, I've been down there a few times but our tickets were in section 430(ish)
Old 10-20-2008   #113
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Check out the Astrodome's myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/houstonastrodome

If you are talkign about the temporary bleachers by the outfield wall, I've been down there a few times but our tickets were in section 430(ish)
I can't believe the dome has a myspace page. Thanks for posting that. Those old pics are great, and makes me really miss the dome. I wish we could have at least one game there a year for old times sake.

As far as that section goes, all I could tell you was that it was one of the end zone sections. We always had tickets on one side of the end zone, and if anyone had been in that same section in the front, I bet that they would remember some of these character that I am referring to. Those were some great memories, although some really painful ones.
Old 10-20-2008   #114
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I have collected Oiler stuff since I new what football was. I have stuff going back to their AFL days. I saw Earl run in the Dome and still carry a scar from the Buffalo game but there is no way the Texans should ever wear the old Oilers jersey. The only connection between the two teams are the citys in which they play/played. The Oilers are dead. Leave them in your heart.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #115
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

The Oilers are not dead they just evolved to a higher place. No Oilers team started out 6-0 in a season and no Oiler team went to the Super Bowl. The team is the team. Should the SF Giants drop the NY history?

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #116
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

The Oilers are dead.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #117
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
The Oilers are not dead they just evolved to a higher place. No Oilers team started out 6-0 in a season and no Oiler team went to the Super Bowl. The team is the team. Should the SF Giants drop the NY history?

Did someone step on a frog?
Old 10-20-2008   #118
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 59622 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Did someone step on a frog?
I think that was a Flaming Sparrow.
Old 10-20-2008   #119
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
Unless you're 90, do you think anybody in NY gives a crap about the baseball Giants? Do you think they wish the Mets could wear the old Giants unis? I'm guessing the answer to both of those questions is NO. Again, unless you're 90. The Mets are not the Giants and the Texans are not the Titans.

Nobody in Philly cares about the A's, nobody in Cleveland gives a flip about the Rams and nobody in Chicago couldn't care less about the Cardinals. And when more time passes and when this football team known as the Texans gets some winning seasons under their belts, nobody in Houston will give a flip about the Titans/Oilers.

Scum Adams thinks he's taken the history away from us, and some folks here seem to be fooled by this, but you can't take history away. The history is here and always will be as long as there's people around with the memories. Ask the greatest Oiler of them all where he thinks the history is. He'll tell you it's not in Possum Holler. Scum Adams couldn't take Earl Campbell to Tennessee nor does he want to go. That ought to tell you all you need to know about it right there.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #120
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52985 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if anyone in San Diego cares about the Rockets.

Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read