Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-20-2008   #21
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coaching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Now I agree with this. Having Faggins (who runs like a 4.57 40 yard dash) cover a Calvin Johnson (who runs a 4.3) the majority of the game in single man coverage is just ridiculous. I don't understand how they can allow that.
You sure its not a 5.47? I called the 96 yarder when I saw the coverage. To start Faggins is completly inexcusable. You bench Bennet, our best cover corner, for a guy who has proven time and time again that he cant cover the big boys.
Old 10-20-2008   #22
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

like those of us in the stands and watching on tv, the players weren't as into the game in the second half as if it had been a closer game against a better team. yes, they're pro's and should know how to put away a team, but it happens every week in the NFL, NBA, and MLB.

there's always the inevitable comeback, to make those of us who like to wager on football games, a little nauseous when the line gets tight.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #23
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Now I agree with this. Having Faggins (who runs like a 4.57 40 yard dash) cover a Calvin Johnson (who runs a 4.3) the majority of the game in single man coverage is just ridiculous. I don't understand how they can allow that.
They were playing zone. But yeah.

Chronicle has an article about how hard Petey was practicing and how he had got his confidence back. (And I am guessing Bennett was in the doghouse about something, practice-wise or attitude wise). Public praise of a try hard guy is usually one of their ways of communicating to a player.

And I read that article and thought, Petey's problems aren't ones of confidence. Dude just isn't a starter and it does nobody any good if you try to make him one.

Calvin Johnson is 6'5" tall. Petey Faggins is listed at 5'10" but I am guessing that is generous--I think I'm taller than he is. Johnson is both stronger and substantially faster than both Faggins and me.

It is not a good idea for either Faggins or me to be primarily responsible for covering Calvin Johnson. At least they had the sense to take Faggins out of the game, unlike the Buffalo game where they kept the exact same coverage with Faggins that allowed Lee Evans to get two (!?!) 83 yard (!!!!!)touchdowns (ARGH!!!!!) in the first quarter of a game.
Old 10-20-2008   #24
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
This is the kind of quote, that makes me pose a question that Tom Jackson
once asked Michael Irvin on the air. "Are you retarded?"
This from the guy who in the middle of a thread about football see's a need to interject his opinion on politics?

I suppose the anonymity of the internet gives some a false sense of bravado. What I expressed was an opinion, looking for answers from others to see if my thoughts were of the mainstream, or outside of that. You're response to that was quite juvenile, and I assume from it, you're still waiting on puberty to arrive.

I'll leave it to others to give ya negative rep, but don't expect a cold beer and a handshake from me if we should meet at a tailgate
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #25
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, TC you could say the great satin didn't call the correct coverage. If you watch the play, and the TV guys pointed it out, sure does look like Will Demps jumped an out route in the flat. They know Petie's limitations. So you could say that Smith didn't give Petie help over the top. Or you could say that Demps just plain flat blew a coverage. My interpretation of the coaching quote is that Demps was coached, and he didn't get it. That was the coaching flaw. Demps has no margin of error when he guesses wrong.

The fourth down call in the second quarter, that was just kubes being hard headed. What were they before the attempt on fourth down this season ? o fur five wasn't it ? Whether it's the guru or Kubes...no you can't go for it on forth and short with these guys. No matter how short it is. They don't have the push to get it done from the inside on short yardage. Just for the record...the line judge guessed again and the lions got screwed on the call.
Schaub's knee was clearly on the turf...the ball short of the line to gain.

If you keep doing the same thing over and over again and keep achieving the same results...that's insanity.
Old 10-20-2008   #26
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well, TC you could say the great satin didn't call the correct coverage. If you watch the play, and the TV guys pointed it out, sure does look like Will Demps jumped an out route in the flat. They know Petie's limitations. So you could say that Smith didn't give Petie help over the top. Or you could say that Demps just plain flat blew a coverage. My interpretation of the coaching quote is that Demps was coached, and he didn't get it. That was the coaching flaw. Demps has no margin of error when he guesses wrong.

The fourth down call in the second quarter, that was just kubes being hard headed. What were they before the attempt on fourth down this season ? o fur five wasn't it ? Whether it's the guru or Kubes...no you can't go for it on forth and short with these guys. No matter how short it is. They don't have the push to get it done from the inside on short yardage. Just for the record...the line judge guessed again and the lions got screwed on the call.
Schaub's knee was clearly on the turf...the ball short of the line to gain.

If you keep doing the same thing over and over again and keep achieving the same results...that's insanity.
So is the great Satin a giant fabric roll floating in the air above the stadium?

Demps was responsible for the middle of the field on the long TD so technically there was not anyone that was supposed to have over the top coverage. 8 men in the box on that play. Petey should have known that for one and played off CJ, second he really never should have been asked to cover him in the first place.

On the 4th down call just chalk that up to karma and be done with it. Either way we would be 1 for 6. Just sayin.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read