Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-10-2008   #21
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ringing "endorsement" of Ahman Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Yeah, Great. I stand by it, too. Almost every time he touched the ball he picked up yardage. Times when I didn't think there was a hole to hit, he picked up at least a few.

This was his first game back after not playing for a few. And he was sharing time with Slaton.

I think that Slaton + Green looked GREAT on Sunday.

The NFL is a what have you done for me lately kind of place. I don't care if he isn't worth what he's being paid. Its McNairs money, not mine. And from our amazing success in FA, I doubt we'd have anyone better even if we had cut him.

So if he gives me 4 yards a carry for the rest of the season and can give Slaton some much needed breaks, I think we've got a nice 1-2 RB punch
Agree with this. We may be 0-4, but we should still be able to look at the games objectively and give props where they are due. Despite our record, there have been some bright spots on the field, and one of them was the Green/Slaton duo last Sunday.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008   #22
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Green is one of those guys we're quick to jump at b/c he's always injured and was being paid too much. He's not the primary running back we thought he'd be... or at least that we wanted him to be.

But I like how his contract was renegotiated. I mean, our RB situation is what it is. I loved our rushing game last week. I would have expected it the opposite when the season started: Green w/ Slaton coming in a little. I too love the Slaton/Green mixture and think Green does better (with his age and injuries) coming off the bench. I hope we can keep it up. Green is one of those guys that when I see a good run from him, I feel bad for ever doubting him b/c he looks great. I just wish he'd look great more often.

Slaton is and has to be our starter. The guy is a stud, but he does need help. I feel more confident having Green go in as spot duty than I do with Taylor or Walker or any of the other guys that are available in FA.

Green will be replaced soon enough, but right now he's the best backup we have for Slaton.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Yeah, Great. I stand by it, too. Almost every time he touched the ball he picked up yardage. Times when I didn't think there was a hole to hit, he picked up at least a few.

This was his first game back after not playing for a few. And he was sharing time with Slaton.

I think that Slaton + Green looked GREAT on Sunday.

The NFL is a what have you done for me lately kind of place. I don't care if he isn't worth what he's being paid. Its McNairs money, not mine. And from our amazing success in FA, I doubt we'd have anyone better even if we had cut him.

So if he gives me 4 yards a carry for the rest of the season and can give Slaton some much needed breaks, I think we've got a nice 1-2 RB punch
S + G did look better than any combination we've thrown out there so far. But, besides the constant worry of "when does Green go down next," we have to keep in mind, they were facing one of the worst DL and run defenses in the league. I would have to reserve unbridled joy for when we face a "descent" D.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
S + G did look better than any combination we've thrown out there so far. But, besides the constant worry of "when does Green go down next," we have to keep in mind, they were facing one of the worst DL and run defenses in the league. I would have to reserve unbridled joy for when we face a "descent" D.
116 yards against the Titans?

Not that I'm suggesting unbridled joy at this point.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #25
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Guess who was great again? Green and Slaton. Batman and Steve. Whatever you want to call them.

Green had limited action, but he made the most of it averaging over 5 yards a carry.
Slaton was bottled up occassionaly but had some great runs in there.

The two of them combined to put up about a 100 yards on only 23 carries.

This was against a team with an up and coming run defense:
Limited LT to 30 yards on 12 carries
Limited the 2 starting rushers of NE to about 50 yards on 15 carries
Limited Edge and Hightower to 75 yards on 28 carries
Old 10-13-2008   #26
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

bout time ahman had a good game.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read