Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2008   #41
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manufactured excitement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
There's ample tape to dissect and talk about in the next few days, I just think we should soak up a win and discuss the negatives in the middle of the week.
I can't imagine that a thread like this can deter any fan from enjoying the win, it won't deter me from doing so. Contrary opinions to mine are welcome........and those also will not deter my appreciation of a win. But I certainly hope that the coaches and players can also do the same without killing the devil's advocate......because it is more important for them to do so than us.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #42
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Yeah, so I must not understand football because I was happy that the Texans won, I must be a bad fan.
Not sure where you got that. I just said some of us understand what happened in this football game. Never said anything about you being a bad fan or you not understanding football.

I'd also like to add that I was happy that we won, I just don't drown out the bad when we win, as some obviously do.

I'm done with you though, thanks for your time.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #43
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe if you stopped thwacking at strawmen, you'd sound more reasonable and less like a doosh.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #44
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I know the negatives from the game... I was watching it. I also know the positives... WE WON.

They did today what they didn't do last week... finished the game. I am very happy about that.
Old 10-12-2008   #45
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Not sure where you got that. I just said some of us understand what happened in this football game. Never said anything about you being a bad fan or you not understanding football.

I'd also like to add that I was happy that we won, I just don't drown out the bad when we win, as some obviously do.

I'm done with you though, thanks for your time.
after the last 2 games some of us tried to point out how good we were playing and the fact we could be 2 and 2. but no one wanted to hear that they just wanted to complain. so now that we finally got a win we dont wanna hear a lot of complaining we just want to celebrate.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #46
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
after the last 2 games some of us tried to point out how good we were playing and the fact we could be 2 and 2. but no one wanted to hear that they just wanted to complain. so now that we finally got a win we dont wanna hear a lot of complaining we just want to celebrate.
I agree. We should have one the Colts game, we played fantastic, the whole team outside of Sage at the end. Jags game was tough and could have gone either way. Schaub had a good game.

But excuse me for noticing some inconsistencies with our QB and team.

Didn't think every convo had to be a one way street after a win like this.

Oh also Mailman, I don't care if you think I am a "doosh". Do what you do. Feel how you wanna feel. Carry on with your day bud.
Old 10-12-2008   #47
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
Some got so tired of "we could be 2 and 2" or "we could be 3 and 1" that they wonder why the "we could be 0 and 5" posts aren't embraced.

Thankfully the Texans played a team as weak as they are today, so all is good.
Old 10-12-2008   #48
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Some got so tired of "we could be 2 and 2" or "we could be 3 and 1" that they wonder why the "we could be 0 and 5" posts aren't embraced.

Thankfully the Texans played a team as weak as they are today, so all is good.
Yea, you get the "I hate these what if's posts". Then you get the "we could be 2 and 2" posts.

I hear that BS every year. We shouldn't be 2 and 2. We have as many wins as we deserve and that is one. Sage is part of this team too, and the fact the he screwed up gave us a loss.
Old 10-12-2008   #49
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
In fact, one could argue the Phins did the smart thing by going up 6 instead of 3. You would HOPE your D could keep a team out of the endzone as opposed to being in a spot where if they give up 2-3 first downs they lose.

C-nnn-D... I must admit this is one of the few times you're logic completely escapes me.

Yes, it was sloppily played game by us. We should have had our way with them with as many 3-&-outs as we forced. ...we handled them nearly all day only to give up BIG plays (gee, just like last week)
And, once again, one of our guys had a brain-fart when presented with the opportunity to put the game away by merely sliding to be sure we maintained possession....

...but "manufactured"?? What you mean by that escapes me.
Could be the two possessions at start of game where Schaub interceptions stalled potential scoring drives: Both those picks were bone-head decisions by Schaub.

And...Schaub was doinking Phins defenders all day long with passes getting batted high into the air, as well as off Phins defenders in coverage, especially a couple in the end zone (particularly the one just before Matt's game-winning QB keeper). I still don't like how long Schaub's passes float and hang in the air. Lots of time for a defender to make a play on it.

The last drive was a Keystone Cops routine with a near-fumble by Schaub, a near-interception just barely bouncing off the ground, and AJ having to struggle on 4th and 10 to help Matt out...again. Ball thrown into double-coverage in endzone was a heart stopper. But lots of guts to run the keeper for the win. So for all the troubles, he DID redeem himself big time.

But for me, the win was more about Jacoby Jones, and a lot of pure luck on our last drive, and maybe Dolphins not using enough time on clock helped us win today. I'll throw in a pretty solid defensive showing by (shaking head in disbelief) a Richard Smith defense, and say that we should have own this game a lot more easily.

I will definitely take the WIN, though. I won't gripe and rant and rave, but I don't think CND was either. I think he was just saying that this looked a lot like the Jacksonville game, and the Colts game, but this one we came out on top. 1-2 on games that are gritty and somewhat sloppy.

Like CND, I just want to see us own a game from start-to-finish as if we are the team that we thought we had after last year's 8-8 finish. We had rust off our preseason games, and it looks like today was our first game of the regular season. Hurricane Ike? A lot to do with it, I think.
Old 10-12-2008   #50
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Like CND, I just want to see us own a game from start-to-finish as if we are the team that we thought we had after last year's 8-8 finish. We had rust off our preseason games, and it looks like today was our first game of the regular season. Hurricane Ike? A lot to do with it, I think.
And that's really where I am coming from as well.

I just want to see us not play so sloppy. Gotta love a win, but sloppy football can get on my nerves. We are a better football team than we have shown in ANY game all year.

I'd just like to see us show up as the team that we are, without making multiple bonehead/gamechanging mistakes.
Old 10-12-2008   #51
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL.

CBS' NY crew, Sharpe, Boomer, Dan, etc., when calling the punt return by Jacoby...Boomer says "...Jacob Jones returns this kick for a TD.."

Someone else, one of the guys in the booth for our game, showed the replay after the TD and said "...Jason Jones just felw by everyone..."

It's been so long that Jacoby did something, nobody remembered his name.
Old 10-12-2008   #52
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with CnD on this as we played so freaking bad and tons of stuff needs to get fixed or fired. I am also happy about this win but we need to step it up and not let teams back into games by fumbling balls and ints
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #53
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a messageboard, lest many of you forget.

We can talk about changing Brown's stances, or talk about how the clock management wasn't as good as it could be.

But guess what? None of it matters. We aren't the coaches. We aren't the assistant coaches. We are fans.

It seems to me that a messageboard is to gather together with fellow fans and discuss what makes us so excited-Houston Texans football.

When we lose, we all get together and lament the fact that our beloved team lost another game. We point out the reasons that we lost, and talk about how we can improve on them so we can win next week.

But when we win, aren't we likewise supposed to celebrate together? We are like a family here. Lose together, win together.

After a heart breaking loss, I expected this place to be in an uproar. We gave the Dolphins a taste of Indy's medicine. That should be worth days of elation.

Its not like we have to quickly get into the game tape to prepare for next week. We're the fans. Not the coaches. We have time to enjoy the victory

If you're going to hyperanalyze the game, at least point out the positives. There were tons of them

This board becomes a pretty horrible place when you talk about "manufacturing" excitement after a come from behind victory on a 4th and 2 play with time expiring. If that does'nt bring out legitimate, non-manufactured excitement, I really, really feel for you. You obviously take this way, way too seriously

Last edited by gtexan02; 10-12-2008 at 07:09 PM.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #54
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33472 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
This is a messageboard, lest many of you forget.

We can talk about changing Brown's stances, or talk about how the clock management wasn't as good as it could be.

But guess what? None of it matters. We aren't the coaches. We aren't the assistant coaches. We are fans.

It seems to me that a messageboard is to gather together with fellow fans and discuss what makes us so excited-Houston Texans football.

When we lose, we all get together and lament the fact that our beloved team lost another game. We point out the reasons that we lost, and talk about how we can improve on them so we can win next week.

But when we win, aren't we likewise supposed to celebrate together? We are like a family here. Lose together, win together.

After a heart breaking loss, I expected this place to be in an uproar. We gave the Dolphins a taste of Indy's medicine. That should be worth days of elation.

This board becomes a pretty horrible place when you talk about "manufacturing" excitement after a come from behind victory on a 4th and 2 play with time expiring. If that does'nt bring out legitimate, non-manufactured excitement, I really, really feel for you. You obviously take this way, way too seriously
Agree mostly. Time for celebration is today, it was a game with excitement only the Texans can bring at the moment, and despite some ugly moments, a win is what this team needed, and what the fans needed.

There is time for analysis during the week, in the buildup to the next game, but for now, the Texans have a 1 in the W column, although it could be more than that, its been earned the hard way.

mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #55
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14619 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

The first int by Schaub the defensive player made a great leaping stab to catch the balle. Should the ball have been thrown?? Probably not but don't take anything away from the int. They Dolphins players get paid too last time I checked. The 2nd int was a bad decision and it looked like he didnt see the guy who jumped in and picked off the pass. It happens players make mistakes. The fumble by AJ was just crazy and I dont expect things like that from our superstar. I dont think it will happen again and I hope he doesnt prove me wrong. That being said we have a win in the clutch when we didnt play well a week after a choke job. Thats a positive right there.
texanhead08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #56
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The first INT was caused because Schaub got hit by Joey porter. That wasn't on Schaub IMO

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read