Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2008   #21
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Vote of Confidence From McNair, Possible Cutbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Lehman Brothers Bankruptcy Field...............kind of catchy, no? Then you could lower expectations......and lower ticket prices, resell PSLs at a lower firesale price, get Vienna sausages in a bun instead of hot dogs, leave the torn roof open permanently and enjoy newly installed more cost-effective Hunter fan stadium circulation, purchase paper jerseys with your own personalized stencil kit, and drown your sorrows in new flagship 3 ounce "3&2"beers.
HaHa Ha...good idea..lol
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #22
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

his interview was the exact opposite of what i wanted to hear as a Texans fan. him going to the 'cut expenses' card really irked me. the naming rights are a drop in the bucket when compared to the TV deal anyway. i can't believe i just heard 'cut expenses' from an NFL owner's mouth much less the owner of the Texans. what expenses Bob? Houston is probably one of the least expensive places to run a franchise and one of the largest markets. Sorry that you actually have to pay people a few million so you can make 100 million and own a nearly billion dollar franchise...boo freaking hoo. if anything, he hasn't yet made the big splash in coaching or free agency. he has never been over the cap that I can remember and the only time we ever tried to do anything of any real magnitude was when we tried to get Pace from St.Louis, which in hindsight doesn't even look like it would have been that good of a move had the Rams not matched.

i dont know, he must be getting his butt kicked in the world markets because he mentioned the economy numerous times....its called a 'correction' Bob. sorry that you only have 2 billion in the bank and not 2.5 billion. boo freaking hoo.

excuse me if i don't shed a tear Bob.

jerry may be a snake oil salesman, but at least he spends $$ and has won and is trying to win every year and spares no expense and takes risks on a daily basis. this isn't college football where you build a program and try and recruit a bunch of good guys, this is the NFL. you have to produce by any means necessary and if you lose, your season is over quicker than it began. i thought we were supposed to Believe In Now. what a freaking joke.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 10-09-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #23
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we begin cutting expenses by reducing cheerleaders uniforms.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #24
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Finances?

He is putting his usual stamp of approval on the staff. That might be a bad sign in many sports but here it means an extension no matter what happens.
Old 10-09-2008   #25
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
jerry may be a snake oil salesman, but at least he spends $$ and has won and is trying to win every year and spares no expense and takes risks on a daily basis.
There's no doubt in my mind that the key to Jones success has been bringing in the right guys to run his team, and very specifically I'm talking about Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. Look at the mediocre, even inferior teams he had for quite a few years between those 2 great coachs/talent evaluators.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #26
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Lehman Brothers Bankruptcy Field...............kind of catchy, no? Then you could lower expectations......and lower ticket prices, resell PSLs at a lower firesale price, get Vienna sausages in a bun instead of hot dogs, leave the torn roof open permanently and enjoy newly installed more cost-effective Hunter fan stadium circulation, purchase paper jerseys with your own personalized stencil kit, and drown your sorrows in new flagship 3 ounce "3&2"beers.
Dont forget the pole dancers now!
Old 10-09-2008   #27
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
There's no doubt in my mind that the key to Jones success has been bringing in the right guys to run his team, and very specifically I'm talking about Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. Look at the mediocre, even inferior teams he had for quite a few years between those 2 great coachs/talent evaluators.
But people also forget that Jerry has been one of the top owners when it comes to change in the NFL. He almost single handedly started the whole endorsement thing while owners balked at first. The guy has been incredible as an owner. They had some down times but he still has the most profitable franchise and won 3 SBs. They should have more but I think Parcells outcoached himself with their talent. Jerry does need to keep getting guys on the Parcells and Jimmty side though and not Wade.
Old 10-09-2008   #28
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Some interesting financial info from Forbes

If you look at the numbers, the Texans are already coming off the least profitable year ever. Revenues are relatively flat, while player costs last year were up considerably. I'm not sure how it all works with revenue sharing and the salary cap, but on the surface it would seem that players would have to bear the brunt of any belt tightening.

Old 10-09-2008   #29
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
But people also forget that Jerry has been one of the top owners when it comes to change in the NFL. He almost single handedly started the whole endorsement thing while owners balked at first. The guy has been incredible as an owner. They had some down times but he still has the most profitable franchise and won 3 SBs. They should have more but I think Parcells outcoached himself with their talent. Jerry does need to keep getting guys on the Parcells and Jimmty side though and not Wade.
Yea H-F, but here aren't you talking about the business acumen, the entrepenureal skills of Jones, which are certainly considerable and impressive. And that definitely has a lot to do with enhancing the value of his franchise.
I'm saying that the success of the Cowboys on the field is basically tied to the coaches, 2 in particular, that he's hired while the business end, the off field success of the team is directly attributable to Jones. But for sure a teams W-L record is a factor in its popularity and therfor also its financail value.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #30
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Jerry Jones et al. are probably sweating bullets in this economic debaucle, having committed to the new billion plus dollar stadium, obscene new PSL and ticket prices. "Promised paper money" has a way of blowing away in times like this.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #31
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Mr. McNair, please take notice.
Old 10-09-2008   #32
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Yea H-F, but here aren't you talking about the business acumen, the entrepenureal skills of Jones, which are certainly considerable and impressive. And that definitely has a lot to do with enhancing the value of his franchise.
I'm saying that the success of the Cowboys on the field is basically tied to the coaches, 2 in particular, that he's hired while the business end, the off field success of the team is directly attributable to Jones. But for sure a teams W-L record is a factor in its popularity and therfor also its financail value.
Sure, I agree. Jimmy was the man and Parcells at least got them back on a talent level where they hadn't been in a bit. Most of us know that he meddles. I have a bro that works for them and Jerry is hands on everything from slaes to personnel. Sometimes I like it because he really wants to win and realizes that it is what makes the team more profitable. I thought he learned his Chan Gailey type lesson when he deferred to Parcells but we have Wade now. I do think that the goal is to get Garrett in there and I do like that move. We will see. His best move is to keep guys like Garrett BUT allow them to make their own moves. Just not sure he can but I know they will always be trying because of JJ.
Old 10-09-2008   #33
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
his interview was the exact opposite of what i wanted to hear as a Texans fan. him going to the 'cut expenses' card really irked me. the naming rights are a drop in the bucket when compared to the TV deal anyway. i can't believe i just heard 'cut expenses' from an NFL owner's mouth much less the owner of the Texans. what expenses Bob? Houston is probably one of the least expensive places to run a franchise and one of the largest markets. Sorry that you actually have to pay people a few million so you can make 100 million and own a nearly billion dollar franchise...boo freaking hoo. if anything, he hasn't yet made the big splash in coaching or free agency. he has never been over the cap that I can remember and the only time we ever tried to do anything of any real magnitude was when we tried to get Pace from St.Louis, which in hindsight doesn't even look like it would have been that good of a move had the Rams not matched.

i dont know, he must be getting his butt kicked in the world markets because he mentioned the economy numerous times....its called a 'correction' Bob. sorry that you only have 2 billion in the bank and not 2.5 billion. boo freaking hoo.

excuse me if i don't shed a tear Bob.

jerry may be a snake oil salesman, but at least he spends $$ and has won and is trying to win every year and spares no expense and takes risks on a daily basis. this isn't college football where you build a program and try and recruit a bunch of good guys, this is the NFL. you have to produce by any means necessary and if you lose, your season is over quicker than it began. i thought we were supposed to Believe In Now. what a freaking joke.
This is a candidate for Post of The Year, along with IlliniJen's comments on what she's looking for in a REAL head coach for this team.

The bolded part is the part that I have been railing on for years now: A lot of the posters here get goosebumps when they see how much "cap room" we have, talking about how "Next year, we gonna' have a lot of money to throw at free agents!" We don't. Ever.

Extra cap dollars = Bob happy that he isn't spending that portion, thus being an even MORE profitable team.

I'm sorry guys, we have a "business" owner who has football a distant second. We're the freaking L.A. Clippers of the NFL. The fans keep buying the product, the product is luke warm on its best day(s), and the owner is a tight wad. But we got pro football, baby!

Bob's going to have to show that he truly wants to win at all costs before I cut him some slack. He didn't invent all that money that he's made, he went out and worked for it. This team, and it's much needed improvement, is no different. Quit tinkering with the adjustments on your spreadsheets, and start getting quality players and coaches on board.

A winning team cures all ills.

At my alma mater (WTAMU, former home of Chaun Thompson, by the way) we had a coach four years ago who had won 1 game in two years. Attendance was about 3,000 on a good day. We brought in a new HC who implemented TTU's spread offense. THREE CONSECUTIVE conference titles, THREE CONSECUTIVE playoff games on national TV, and we haven't lost a game in almost two years. Attendance is now 20,000 a game, so you can imagine the revenue that's being generated from concessions, gate sales, apparrel, sponsorships, etc.

Things change pretty dadgum fast when you're on top of the world. It's easier to get quality players who want to come to a winning team, it's easier to get AND retain quality coaches who don't want to leave a winning team for the risk of being on a bad team elsewhere.

Things just have a funny way of taking care of themselves, Bob, when you produce a winner. There's risk involved. There's an increased cost involved. But, I mean...come on, I think Bob's looking at this from the wrong perspective by sweating the financial details more than he needs to.
Old 10-09-2008   #34
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

a lot of Houston football fans have short memories to be complaining prematurely, to those folks I have two words....Bud Adams.
Old 10-09-2008   #35
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
I think this could work! We would have real sold out games and the seats would be full. It would also give us reason to rewatch the games we get blownout on DVR!
Old 10-09-2008   #36
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm so sick of hearing folks complaining about Bud Adams in here and trying to compare Mcnair to him. Let it go. Bud Adams is long gone and has been for many years now. He has nothing to do with this city. Stop comparing Mcnair to him and acting like it could be worse with Bud or whatever. Bud's gone and he's moved on, at some point some of you guys should do the same instead of being so obssessed with hating the man and bringing him up all the time.

Mcnair had better get his head out of his ass. He's had a ton of support from fans with not one winning season to reward our efforts at games and our financial support from buying merchandise and tickets. At some point it becomes a slap in the face as a fan when you see your owner do nothing and have such a lack luster approach and a mile long leash on his coaching staff.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #37
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

I don't think McNair hasn't succeeded from lack of trying, and if I want to compare Bud to Bob I will, as they're the only two NFL owners this city has had and that bears a comparison Tex.

If you feel Bob isn't trying to field a competitive team, then it is certainly in yor right to not buy tickets, merchandise, etc., and watch the games from your home.

I have been on the receiving end of not having an NFL team to follow in our hometown, and as such, I'm willing to give Mr. McNair more leeway than some less patient fans are.
Old 10-09-2008   #38
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

This team should be winning games this year. I can't blame the owner for stupid mistakes on the field.

As far as keeping quiet on the Pud Adams hatred...NEVER!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read