Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-05-2005   #21
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would we want to trade Ragone? If he has such a great season in NFLE, why not keep him to be our backup? Banks will not be here forever and we would have a good young QB to backup Carr. The only way IMO we trade Ragone is if he has an amazing season in the NFLE and some team offers us a ridiculous trade that the FO just couldn't pass up...
Old 04-05-2005   #22
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Maybe we could trade Ragone for Orlando Pace.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005   #23
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

A few ifs to toss around here for sure.

In our case we have a plethora of QB options - 4 on the roster just listed as QB. Thats a little more depth than honestly is necessary and I think the Texans know that also and planned to use Ragone as trade bait after a good NFLe season to get extra picks or trade for depth at another position.

Just thinking a little down the road here - IMO Banks can do the job as a backup if we have the worst case happen until BJ can get more play time and learn to be a quality backup QB. Banks is under contract and will end in a few years again. Until then we have our starter and our backup QB positions under contract and IMO thats all we need to have. - Ragone is expendable - not because he is bad - but because we dont need another starting QB and he would be good value in a trade especially with good playtime in NFLe.

Crystal ball time - If I am the GM - and If Ragone has a good NFLe season - I look for one of the QB needy teams that didnt get one in the draft to talk with. They would be hard pressed to pass on a guy like Ragone. Good physical tools, not buying into a totally unkown guy. More than likely very manageble contract terms and with some NFL experience could turn into a quality starting QB for another team and would only cost a few draft picks, trade or neogtiating a combo to acquire. Ragone costs us virtually nothing to keep on the roster and we only spent a third rounder to get him. I certainly think he has the tools and talent to be a starter in this league - but he wont get that chance here barring serious injury to Carr.

IMO - If Ragone turns in a stellar performance in NFLe and by some stretch of the imagination they win the Cup - I will bet Charlie will be shopping him to other teams. That he would be shopping his value before pre-season to any team willing to listen before we start having to look at negotiating a long term deal with him to keep him here as backup. Honestly barring some major misshap in NFLe I dont see that happening and I think Ragone should get a chance to play as a starter if he shows something more over there. And I see nothing wrong with us getting a little payback benefit in picks or trade from another team for developing him on our roster either.

Devil's advocate flipside -

Crystal ball - Ragone wins the cup in NFLe and Carr looks horrible in pre-season - The season begins and Carr and the line dont look good and the team loses the first 2 or 3 games. If Ragone is still on the roster - I see them pushing him into the starters role to shake things up if DC cant produce solid results every week this year.

The kid gloves come off this year - This IMO is the make or break year for a lot of guys. And I'm talking everybody including the name brand guys too Like Carr, Gaffney, Joppru, D. Davis, G. Walker, Miller, Glenn, and some front office folks too like Coach Capers, Coach Palmer and assistants etc..

Honestly - I think you might see alot more risks taken by the staff and players this year as everyone will feel the heat this year from top to bottom and for good reason. Development takes time, - but results is how everyone is measured - and this year the bar has been raised higher than ever for everyone.

Last edited by U4ikrob; 04-05-2005 at 03:49 PM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005   #24
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I've noticed a trend here recently. Someone will get tired of a player and want to trade them for an unrealistic amount. If we don't want them, what makes you think someone will give up a perfectly good draft pick for that same person? Is it the old saying "One mans trash is another man's treasure?"

Recently only the Denver Broncos seem to subscribe to that. Even they didn't overpay for all of those underachieving Browns.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005   #25
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 228095 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

If Carr is hurt (please no) and Ragone gets to play 2-3 games and does well (on top of having a good NFLE season) then he'll be a player we can trade for more than he cost us. Just a good NFLE season isn't going to do it. It's a good sign of course that he did well at that level but it's not going to get the phone ringing.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005   #26
outofhnd
All Pro

I have a feeling.

Casserly was quoted on why he took Henson in the draft.
He said "you can't have too many QBs.

This makes me wonder, What if we become the QB factory of the NFL?
We draft em cheap develop them then trade them for a bigger return.

I think this was Houston wanting to see what Ragone can do as well as spark other teams interest in him. Teams like Arizona, Cleveland, GB, where the QB position is becoming a bigtime need. Cleveland and GB would probably be the top 2 suitors for Ragone.

GB could get Ragone for a cheaper salary than a 1st round pick. They have major cap issues as it stands.

Cleveland doesnt seem to draft QB with 1st round picks after the couch debacle.

Think back to the 49ers of the late 80s early nineties they were a QB factory with Montana, then Young, then Grbac, then Garcia,
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #27
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 5042 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
I have a feeling.

I think this was Houston wanting to see what Ragone can do as well as spark other teams interest in him. Teams like Arizona, Cleveland, GB, where the QB position is becoming a bigtime need. Cleveland and GB would probably be the top 2 suitors for Ragone.

GB could get Ragone for a cheaper salary than a 1st round pick. They have major cap issues as it stands.

Think back to the 49ers of the late 80s early nineties they were a QB factory with Montana, then Young, then Grbac, then Garcia,
Dave Ragone had a ton of potential going into his senior year. He had to carry a weak team and saw his value/confidence slip a bit. If he can recapture his game and gain some pro experience--he could garner some attention, esp with this draft class. That was the point of this thread.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #28
brickmantexanfan
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to brickmantexanfan Send a message via Yahoo to brickmantexanfan

Ragone will be fine.http://www.nfl.com/
Old 04-06-2005   #29
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
I have a feeling.

If he goes anywhere, I see Ragone heading to Washington for a first rounder.

They cant establish a passing game at all, which that and their line kills any chance for Portis. Ragone would be effective and cheap to help out with the salary cap issues coming up in washington. I could only wonder why Washington wouldnt go for that kind of a deal(if Ragone shows himself worthy of course).
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #30
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

The Redskins are still invested in Patrick Ramsey. He was their first pick of the 2001 draft and hasnt had a chance to prove himself. 2 years with spurrier can kill anyone. Then old man Gibbs had him on the bench backing up old what's his face. Ramsey is probablly the smartest man in the NFL and has a cannon for an arm. If they can develop him correctly i believe he can be one of the best.
HardKnockTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #31
TexasAggie
Rookie

Thumbs up

QB Jake Delhomme is a pretty good story and never had alot of PT in the NFL before Carolina gave him a chance.

If Ragone has a good season in Europe he then will have given himself a shot at a future team in the NFL. It just will not be the Texans. I think that was C. Casserly's plan all along was to train and trade him. ie the Packers and A Brooks, M Hasselbeck
TexasAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #32
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Theres not a single thing we can get for him
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #33
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Green Bay may show some interest. Favre.. according to rumors.. will retire after this season. That leads them in a tough spot. They may be interested in trading for Ragone since he has a few years in the NFL.. and some experience under his belt. He would be ahead of the curve and more likely to start for them in a season or two.

If we could trade him for their first rounder next year, I think we could possibly end up with a top 10 pick there
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #34
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

btw.. this is all based on the assumption that Ragone will continue to "PWN" the NFLE... thus making him a hot commodity (or at least a very warm one)
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read