Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-03-2008   #21
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Sexy Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
0-3 will do that to a fanbase.
Not to mention 33 points a game.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #22
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

The defense worried me before the first pre season game and they have yet to do anything to change my mind. The offense is going to have to continue to carry us when they do we have a chance to win when they dont we will look awful.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #23
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: The Sexy Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Contrary to what our fans on the boards believe, this team is not as bad as the doom and gloomers are saying. And the if we play like we did last week, the Colts are beatable. We are only a few plays away from being 2-1.

Good teams know they will make those plays, our team has not gotten to the point that they know.
I like our chances. This Colts team has already lost twice. I don't think they're the same team they were a few years ago.
Old 10-03-2008   #24
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: The Sexy Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
for what its worth this is the first game of the season I placed a wager on the Texans
Which way did ya go there big guy ?

Well if you're a fantasy guy and you been getting killed by Joseph Addai so far this season...this is your game.

http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story?id=...o&confirm=true

http://www.nfl.com/players/josephadd...e?id=ADD152616
http://www.nfl.com/players/josephadd...16&season=2007

Last edited by threetoedpete; 10-04-2008 at 02:01 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008   #25
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I agree that Slaton is part of the reason that we're getting some run, and that doesn't make me any more optimistic than before, actually. While I have concerns about specific players or positions, I never have really worried too much about the offense. The offense put up over 5K yards last season with all the problems, so I know they'll produce this year as well. It's one area that no one can really criticize Kubiak much at all.

Our defense is why we're a terrible team and why we'll continue to be a terrible team. Our offense is good, but not quite good enough to overcome a defense that is consistently near the bottom of the league in yards allowed, 3rd down % allowed, and scoring. Sure, we'll see some wins against teams like the Raiders or Dolphins (maybe not those specifically), but the defense is not good enough to beat the Colts, even with an ailing Manning.

So the offense will have to beat the Colts by owning T.O.P. We'll see if that happens, but when the commentators are picking the Texans, I wonder if they've really watched this defense. If we had an offense that was in the bottom 25% of the league and a defense that was as good as our offense currently is, we'd win more games.
Old 10-04-2008   #26
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

I was bummed that Schlereth picked against us.

Last edited by Drew_Smoke; 01-10-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008   #27
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Contrary to what our fans on the boards believe, this team is not as bad as the doom and gloomers are saying. And the if we play like we did last week, the Colts are beatable. We are only a few plays away from being 2-1.

Good teams know they will make those plays, our team has not gotten to the point that they know.
I agree with all of that, and that's why we aren't a good team or not a playoff team. If we were we'd be at the very least 1-2, and likely 2-1 as you suggest.
But the season opener in Pittsburg was just about too much to stomach.
What an embarrassment. And the team probably isn't "THAT" bad, so its squarely upon Kubiak that they were so unprepared to compete and McNair should certainly realize it.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008   #28
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I agree with all of that, and that's why we aren't a good team or not a playoff team. If we were we'd be at the very least 1-2, and likely 2-1 as you suggest.
But the season opener in Pittsburg was just about too much to stomach.
What an embarrassment. And the team probably isn't "THAT" bad, so its squarely upon Kubiak that they were so unprepared to compete and McNair should certainly realize it.
That Pittsburgh game was difficult to swallow. But lots of good teams have bad games (sometimes, a series of bad games) but a good team is able to get its mind right and recover from those bad games. So, I'll give them that one really bad game.

Last year, I think we had a good year, but after the San Diego game, I was devastated because they'd had a series of 5 games where they didn't play well. But then they turned it around.

I mean, look at the Jaguars last year. They were a good team that finished 11-5. But they got stomped by the Colts 29-7 and they get trounced by the Saints 41-24.

How about the Titans last year? They got into the playoffs even though they lost 35-6 to the Bengals.

And the Steelers last year? They went 10-6 and won their division even though the Patriots beat them 34-13.

But perhaps the best example is last year's Chargers. They went 11-5 and were a great team. But they lost 38-14 to the Patriots, 30-16 to the CHIEFS, and 35-17 to the Vikings.

Those were good, strong playoff teams. And I don't think we're in that echelon, yet. So I'm going to try to keep myself away from the suicide watch after getting blown out in a game.

I'm just going to hope that the Steeler game was an anomaly where we walked into a buzz saw with the wrong gameplan and had a bad day from our QB. As far as I'm concerned, the Titans 31-12 loss was closer than it looked and even though we didn't play well, we showed signs of life. And I feel better about that game than the Steeler game.

My hope is that we've got our heads on straight now and that the Jaguar game was an indication of the team that we're going to get from here on out. I don't think this is a 0 win team like some people have been saying. I don't even think this is only a 5 win team like some people have been saying. I think this team is who we thought it was during the preseason, an 8-9 win team.

The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008   #29
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Look....you can be ordinary at one defensive spot and make it. But you can't be ordinary in two spots, run Richard Smith off or not, and compete in the NFL. We have ordinary safeties and ordinary OLBs. Stir that up with the fact that Weaver's basically been an MIA for three years...you can whip up hope all you want...praying and hoping for relief will only get you so far. Jesus can only do so much.

We drafted Omobi Okoye for this moment (game). If Okoye breaks out and gets in Manning's face they have a chance. If he doesn't , ....the instant Manning slips on his cleats and trots out on to the field Sunday, we're toast.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 10-04-2008 at 04:18 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008   #30
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Look....you can be ordinary at one defensive spot and make it. But you can't be ordinary in two spots, run Richard Smith off or not, and compete in the NFL. We have ordinary safeties and ordinary OLBs. Stir that up with the fact that Weaver's basically been an MIA for three years...you can whip up hope all you want...praying and hoping for relief will only get you so far. Jesus can only do so much.

We drafted Omobi Okoye for this game. If Okoye breaks out and gets in Manning's face they have a chance. If he doesn't , ....the moment Manning slips on his shoes and trots out on to the field, we're toast.
Agreed although I don't think it all has to rest on Amobi. If our DL and maybe an OLB or two can bust through on enough occassions to shake Manning up, then I think we stand a good chance. Otherwise we could be in trouble. Also, Special Teams showing up big (Like it did the last home game vs the Colts) would help.
Old 10-04-2008   #31
KrustyTheClown
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
for what its worth this is the first game of the season I placed a wager on the Texans

KrustyTheClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #32
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyTheClown View Post

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read