Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-29-2008   #21
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 9-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
This sounds crazy...but what the heck...

We were 6-2 at home last season, with a team that was missing key elements due to injury. Why can't we hope to win one more at home this season? Say 7-1 at home, so we'd just need to win two on the road for a winning record.

Crazier things have happened. I'm keeping my smiling avatar just in case.
We'll find out this month with 4 homes games.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #22
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Nope , not me ..... 6-10 maybe break even 8-8. That defense cant keep anyone under 30 . At least we end up good draft pick .... again.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #23
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I know a lot of people who were saying we'd have a 9 win season also had us losing those three games so, I guess we'll just have to see. Something has to go our teams way eventually right????
I had us going 7-9. And I am seeing signs right now that offense is better than I thought, and I am seeing sign that defense is not as bad as most are making them out to be.

I am sticking with 7-9.

I just hope the coaches start playing the young guys, if you are not going to win, then at least get your guys some real game reps. I would much rather have Okam learning in a game than Zgonina, I want to see Cochran over Kalu.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Not me...they are good coaches that were demonized since they led units that failed at one time or another. It's like being an entrepreneur, most coaches have failed more than they have succeeded.
Bum Phillips is that you?
Old 09-29-2008   #25
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Arrow Re: 9-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
This sounds crazy...but what the heck...

We were 6-2 at home last season, with a team that was missing key elements due to injury. Why can't we hope to win one more at home this season? Say 7-1 at home, so we'd just need to win two on the road for a winning record.

Crazier things have happened. I'm keeping my smiling avatar just in case.
Heck yeah. Bring on the smily parade.

Who would think that the Texans would start off the season with three road losses and a hurricane bye?

Who would have thought an 8-8 season was possible last year with no Schaub, Green, AJ, McKinney, Dunta, etc for a good portion of the season?

The NFL is the best reality programming out there. Miami over Patriots? Redskins over the Cowboys in Irving? KC beats anyone? The Bills are undefeated, but then again, look at their schedule.

We just need to eliminate bigtime stupidity from our team. I'm okay with mediocre right now. I just want less stupid.
Old 09-29-2008   #26
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

I still have confidence in this team for one reason....

The offensive performance of the last game. Did we have a bad 3 first games...yea...do teams make it to the playoffs starting 0-3...not likely...at the same time how many of those teams played 3 games on the road against .500 teams? I think while our defense needs a lot of help...at least we are building a explosive offense. If we had a good Center I think our offense would be great personally.

We saw it the last game. Jags did a good job of covering Andre Johnson...yet it didn't matter. We have so many weapons on offense now (depending if they can play like this)

We have a Quick receiving back who is showing he can run also. We have a explosive WR. We have a determined hard working WR and TE. And our Oline looked really good last week. I have some confidence that we can beat the Colts and begin to turn this around...maybe i'm just a fool though hoping on a prayer...but at least we are building a good offense that should have won that game...now if we can just get that defense going...

Yeah also I didn't mean to forget our QB. He's had some bad games for sure, but i'm willing to give him this season. Starting NFL QB isn't exactly something you can pick up in 9 games or so.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #27
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Nope , not me ..... 6-10 maybe break even 8-8. That defense cant keep anyone under 30 . At least we end up good draft pick .... again.

not only a high draft pick, but a full compliment of draft picks as well for the first time in a while!

good God...I haven't even sat my behind in Reliant this regular season and I've already begun thinking about draft slots.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #28
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
not only a high draft pick, but a full compliment of draft picks as well for the first time in a while!

good God...I haven't even sat my behind in Reliant this regular season and I've already begun thinking about draft slots.

Yep , it sucks that we are already looking forward to the draft .... seems like all we ever do is point to the draft year after year.
Yeah , having all our picks is nice .... I hated not having 2nd rounders the past two drafts. Those picks are generally expected to turn into starting calibur players .... What would the Texans defense look like with a couple young guy's at OLB and DE ?

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #29
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post

Yeah, I'm not really ready for draft talk, but I will say this; I think we should use every pick on defense unless there's a decent guard available with one of the second day picks.

I think our offense will be ok. An entire draft and a FA or two on defense should make for a decent defense for the NEW defensive coordinator.
Old 09-29-2008   #30
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yeah, I'm not really ready for draft talk, but I will say this; I think we should use every pick on defense unless there's a decent guard available with one of the second day picks.

I think our offense will be ok. An entire draft and a FA or two on defense should make for a decent defense for the NEW defensive coordinator.
heh heh...the "get a RB" crowd will eat you for breakfast dude. For the record though, I like your way of thinking...at least in the first 3 rounds.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #31
FR0497
Rookie

Rep Power: 269 FR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
BUT... from what I've seen from Slaton so far, he's not what I like in a RB. He's a Barry Sanders type who makes a lot of runs in the -3..+3 range and then busts a 50 yarder to improve his ypc.
I'll take the the greatest running back ever type any day.
FR0497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #32
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

In order for this season to be salvaged, we need to go at least 5-3 over the next 8 games. That would put us at 5-6 with 3 home games to go, and a road game in Oakland. We have 5 home games including games against Cincinnati, Detroit, Miami, Baltimore, and Cleveland. So, if this team doesn't quit and makes steady improvement, I think that Monday night game against Jacksonville may mean something after all!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #33
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I had us going 7-9. And I am seeing signs right now that offense is better than I thought, and I am seeing sign that defense is not as bad as most are making them out to be.

I am sticking with 7-9.

I just hope the coaches start playing the young guys, if you are not going to win, then at least get your guys some real game reps. I would much rather have Okam learning in a game than Zgonina, I want to see Cochran over Kalu.
Dadgummit, I was really optimistic at the beginning of the year, but it seems that something always crops up. If it isn't injuries it is pigheaded stubborness of the coaches to not play the young guys (at least past the 3rd. round). I was saying 10-3 but NO Way now we get there. We really need to get that first win to get the spirits of the young guys up. Indy, for whatever reason, is not playing like the Indy of old, so let's get that win this weekend at Reliant!
OOPS, I forgot we still got a sorry defensive coordinator. Maybe Kubes is getting fed up enough to jump his butt big time and tell him to put up or shut up and move along. We can always hope!
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008   #34
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

If I remember correctly, last year or the year before, our D started playing half-decent(EDIT: Halfway through the season!). Not that it'll happen again, but I will say that with experience, it's hard to see it getting any worse
Old 09-30-2008   #35
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

I'm always ready for draft talk, and ready to talk drafting defense too.

If we can get some DE, OLB and secondary help, we'll have more players on our defense to choose from. Thats about as hopeful as I can get.
Old 09-30-2008   #36
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

if the offense can put togeather another good game like the did with the Jags, that will give us a lot of hope for maybe reaching 500 again. If along with that, the defense actually starts looking like a pro football squad instead of a confused high school team, there is a good chance we might even make some noise before the season is over with.

A lot of ifs there. The Indy game is going to tell us a lot. If the defense has another poor showing and we lose again because of the defense, I'm going to start getting really upset with Kubiac. I still like him and I'm more inclined to cut him slack than I am to hate on him, but I can only take so much.

then again, there's realisticly not a lot of talent on our defense, and Indy is a good team.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #37
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 89864 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Dadgummit, I was really optimistic at the beginning of the year, but it seems that something always crops up. If it isn't injuries it is pigheaded stubborness of the coaches to not play the young guys (at least past the 3rd. round). I was saying 10-3 but NO Way now we get there. We really need to get that first win to get the spirits of the young guys up. Indy, for whatever reason, is not playing like the Indy of old, so let's get that win this weekend at Reliant!
OOPS, I forgot we still got a sorry defensive coordinator. Maybe Kubes is getting fed up enough to jump his butt big time and tell him to put up or shut up and move along. We can always hope!

Kubiak needs to put on his OC hat for a minute and look at his D and think to himself "now how would I attack this defense".

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read