Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-29-2008   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 9-4

We have to go 8-5 just to be .500 now....is this team capable of going 8-5 based on what we saw in the first 3 games? I think the offense turned the corner this week but the defense is awful. I think we aren't tough inside, have no pass rusher outside of Mario, and is going to give up a record amount of points this season. 9-4 seems ridiculous at this point, but I've seen stranger things happen.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #2
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 9-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
We have to go 8-5 just to be .500 now....is this team capable of going 8-5 based on what we saw in the first 3 games? I think the offense turned the corner this week but the defense is awful. I think we aren't tough inside, have no pass rusher outside of Mario, and is going to give up a record amount of points this season. 9-4 seems ridiculous at this point, but I've seen stranger things happen.
9-4 does seem completely beyond all reason at this point, but eight of those games are at home. Hmmm.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #3
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
9-4 does seem completely beyond all reason at this point, but eight of those games are at home. Hmmm.
Yep, at least we aren't the Colts... 0-2 at home. Also, if we beat the shoes on the Sunday, they will be in 4th! That would be awesome.
Old 09-29-2008   #4
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

we have a long road ahead of us there is no easy game on are sechudle

we got the colts next week and playing them is no easy task
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #5
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

where's all the unrestrained enthusiasm now?
Old 09-29-2008   #6
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Bring back Jim Eddy!

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #7
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Bring back Jim Eddy!
Is he still coaching???
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-29-2008   #8
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
where's all the unrestrained enthusiasm now?
I'm actually very optimistic about what I've seen so far. I think the team has played decent overall and is nowhere near the disaster-in-waiting the majority of members believe them to be. I see a team that's played inarguably the toughest schedule under the toughest circumstances of any NFL team, without a single home game, and a team that competed well in the last two.

Color my eggs sunny-side up.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #9
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
I'm actually very optimistic about what I've seen so far. I think the team has played decent overall and is nowhere near the disaster-in-waiting the majority of members believe them to be. I see a team that's played inarguably the toughest schedule under the toughest circumstances of any NFL team, without a single home game, and a team that competed well in the last two.

Color my eggs sunny-side up.
i say blame our economic woes for the recent spike in pessimism.
Old 09-29-2008   #10
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Is he still coaching???
No. And I was kidding.

Does it bother anyone else that Gilbride and Eddy both have Superbowl rings?

Old 09-29-2008   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No. And I was kidding.

Not me...they are good coaches that were demonized since they led units that failed at one time or another. It's like being an entrepreneur, most coaches have failed more than they have succeeded.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No. And I was kidding.

Notice Gilbride won that ring, NOT running the run-and-shoot offense? They were good coaches as Vinny said, but the one word: Oilers.
Old 09-29-2008   #13
TEXANRED
Texan-American

So does it bother you guys that Palmer has a ring? And if the Giants keep playing the way they are so will Carr.

Old 09-29-2008   #14
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Quote:
And if the Giants keep playing the way the do so will Carr.
no he won't because god hates him.
Old 09-29-2008   #15
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 19952 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I know a lot of people who were saying we'd have a 9 win season also had us losing those three games so, I guess we'll just have to see. Something has to go our teams way eventually right????
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So does it bother you guys that Palmer has a ring? And if the Giants keep playing the way the do so will Carr.
TEXANRED, Is there a point? Or are you rubbing our collective noses in the poo?

LOL! Just kiddin bud.

It's just more proof the Football Gods dislike Houston pro sports teams. They must've been on vacation those two years the Rockets won.
Old 09-29-2008   #17
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
TEXANRED, Is there a point? Or are you rubbing our collective noses in the poo?

LOL! Just kiddin bud. It's just more proof the Football Gods dislike Houston pro sports teams. They must've been on vacation those two years the Rockets won.
Just annoyed today.

At least Dallas lost.

Old 09-29-2008   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just annoyed today.

At least Dallas lost.
I hear ya

Yes, yes they did. It was a good game too. USC and Florida lost too. UH beat ECU.
Old 09-29-2008   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I know a lot of people who were saying we'd have a 9 win season also had us losing those three games so, I guess we'll just have to see. Something has to go our teams way eventually right????
I don't think that a 9 win season is out of the question. Like you said, most of us never expected to win the games we've lost so far... although I did think we were going to be able to steal that one from the Jags.

I was depressed after the first game because the supposed strength of our team, the offense, didn't show up and our defense looked just as bad as I expected it to.

After the second game, I actually felt a little better about the team. We had a threat at RB and we were at least in the game until that last turnover. If we hadn't made mistakes in the red zone and some poor decisions on 4th downs, we could have been in an even better position at the end of the game.

BUT... from what I've seen from Slaton so far, he's not what I like in a RB. He's a Barry Sanders type who makes a lot of runs in the -3..+3 range and then busts a 50 yarder to improve his ypc. But we need someone who consistently gets 4 yards. I'm hoping that as the run blocking improves, Slaton's average carry improves.

After the third game, I'm feeling good about the rest of the season. We have the problem with the defense. But I think our line is improving and as our line improves, our offense is going to improve and could be really, really good. Especially if AJ gets his season turned around. He hasn't been in synch so far this year and if he gets it going, we're going to become a lot more explosive.

I don't know if we're going to beat the Colts. I think we can. I think we can dominate the time of possession. These are not the same Colts of the past several years. I don't care if it's Peyton Manning. And if they tackle the way they were tackling in the Jag game, Slaton could have 200 yards rushing. We should at least make this a damned close game.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

This sounds crazy...but what the heck...

We were 6-2 at home last season, with a team that was missing key elements due to injury. Why can't we hope to win one more at home this season? Say 7-1 at home, so we'd just need to win two on the road for a winning record.

Crazier things have happened. I'm keeping my smiling avatar just in case.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read