Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2008   #1
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Looking Good to Play At Home Oct. 5

Quote:
All signs point to the Houston Texans being able to play their next home game Oct. 5 against the Indianapolis Colts at Reliant Stadium, according to Shea Guinn, President of SMG-Reliant Park. Guinn said if the game goes off as planned, it will be with the stadium's retractable roof open

The roof lost five large panels of material that cover the facility during Hurricane Ike Friday.

"Structural damage, the preliminary investigation, the study by the engineers, is showing they do not see any evidence of any structural damage at all to the roof.," said Guinn in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "It looks like things are good there.

"That leaves us just focused on the material, We have five of the panels are gone. What we do know is that the replacement process on that could take us into months in terms of getting those replaced. We are feeling good about the fact that even with those panels taking months to place, we will be in a position to work toward our goal of being able to play football games in there."
Quote:
And McNair isn't concerned with the fact the rectractable roof may not be available for use in 2008.

"We will be able to play the rest of the year in an open air stadium," McNair said."

Sunday's game with the Baltimore Ravens was postponed because of Hurricane Ike to November 9.
link

Good news!

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #2
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Looking Good to Play At Home Oct. 5

Indeed. Hot in there, but good news. Think I'll take my first trip out there deep into Oct, most likely the Lions game.
Old 09-19-2008   #3
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hooray! I wasn't looking forward to Rice Stadium or traveling to SA. This is great news indeed.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #4
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 45235 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

It makes sense. Rice is an open-air stadium, so if you have to play in bad weather, might as well be in your home stadium.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008   #5
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

Sweet!!!! Open air football! This is going to be great.
Old 09-20-2008   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, I'm good with extra sunscreen. I'm just glad to have a home.

But riddle me this batmens....I thought that they had to shut the roof with even the threat of bad weather and winds because it could damage the roof?

I don't think I imagined that.
Old 09-20-2008   #7
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Worst case scenario, unroll & dust off the Astroturf in the dome!
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2008   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

a little rain or cold never hurt football fans in the past....open em up and let's play some ball. We have the heat of summer behind us - eff the roof.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008   #9
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 17854 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

as long as no bird poops in my nachos
Old 09-20-2008   #10
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Woo Hoo!!!! We moved to the shady side this year. I must be smarter than I knew.
Old 09-20-2008   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
a little rain or cold never hurt football fans in the past....open em up and let's play some ball. We have the heat of summer behind us - eff the roof.
I'll second that. Play outside.
Old 09-20-2008   #12
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

I have never been to Rice, but I hear it seats far less than Kyle field. Can it provide a home field advantage. More importantly will the computer nerds put down their protactors and keyboards and come out to see the games? they might see some girls!!!!
Do they still have a football team? I thought they dissolved once SWC went the way of the Dodo.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008   #13
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

I heard that Reliant doesn't have any drainage system. Is that true? Just wondering what they would do if it was raining at kickoff. Also, if the NFL rules state the Texans couldn't close the roof in the middle of the game if it started raining, what would have happened? Would the game be stopped until the rain stopped?
Old 09-20-2008   #14
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskillz View Post
I heard that Reliant doesn't have any drainage system. Is that true? Just wondering what they would do if it was raining at kickoff. Also, if the NFL rules state the Texans couldn't close the roof in the middle of the game if it started raining, what would have happened? Would the game be stopped until the rain stopped?
Uniforms will get muddy like they are supposed to.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008   #15
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Uniforms will get muddy like they are supposed to.

"that's why you fellas need to wear gloves!"
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #16
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow...thanks for the info. lol
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #17
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Per HT.com, Texans will play in Reliant for their home opener.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4678
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Hey, I'm good with extra sunscreen. I'm just glad to have a home.

But riddle me this batmens....I thought that they had to shut the roof with even the threat of bad weather and winds because it could damage the roof?

I don't think I imagined that.
I remember not being particularly impressed with the roof specs as they were rated to withstand winds of up to 45 mph only. Many bad storms, let alone hurricanes, can create gusts beyond that.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #19
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I remember not being particularly impressed with the roof specs as they were rated to withstand winds of up to 45 mph only. Many bad storms, let alone hurricanes, can create gusts beyond that.
No, it was rated at 50 mph to MOVE the roof.

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/Ho...xans/index.htm

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
No, it was rated at 50 mph to MOVE the roof.

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/Ho...xans/index.htm
Quote:
Completely closing the more than four-acre opening can take place in just 7 minutes, at its top speed of 35 ft/minute. The 2,243,000-pound retractable roof is functional in winds gusting up to 50 miles per hour, and fail-safe spring-set brakes automatically engage in the unlikely event of a power outage.
{LINK}

The roof is expected to take much much more wind stress when closed (aerodynamic position) than when partially open (resistant position).
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read