Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2008   #41
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive Coordinator thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
...but what's the reaction to bringing in Rod Marinelli as the new DC next season.
My reaction is that Kubiak needs to turn this season around with the players and coaches he has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
One guy I would love to have on the Texans but it would be pretty difficult to get him:

Mickey Andrews

A good coach doesn't scream.

Signed,
Richard Justice
Old 09-25-2008   #42
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Last time I looked the Bucs run a 4-3, the Colts run a 4-3, the Bears run a 4-3, the Chiefs run a 4-3, and the Lions run a 4-3. That would cover the main Tampa 2 teams.

Tampa 2 is a 4-3, cover 2 can be used from any front. So no, I am not asking us to go back to a 3-4.

IMO other than Ryans, we have guys that could play well in the 3-4.

I am looking for a defense that will utilize a 1 gap DT, and the Tampa 2 would. BTW I grew up on the 46 defense and it was a fun to watch.
Doh... in between school and work today i was catching up a bit on the boards and put that up backwards. Been a long day between morning classes and 8 hr work shift. Please allow myself to take my shoe out of my mouth...right...now.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #43
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I hope we wouldn't consider going to a 3-4 talk about a monumental waste on Mario's Williams talent that'd prove to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
IMO other than Ryans, we have guys that could play well in the 3-4.

I am looking for a defense that will utilize a 1 gap DT, and the Tampa 2 would. BTW I grew up on the 46 defense and it was a fun to watch.
I don't think the problem is with Mario or DeMeco as far as playing the 3-4 is concerned, although I believe that the 4-3 better utilizes their talent. The problem is the waste of Amobi Okoye.
Old 09-26-2008   #44
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
The problem is the waste of Amobi Okoye.
I think Okoye would be a 3-4 DE like Gary Walker. He reminds me of a young Walker when he first joined the Oilers.

My 3-4 would have Cochran, Okam, and Okoye as the down lineman, Mario would become the DeMarcus Ware of our LBs.

Now we would need some more LBs that could play, and they would need to be the larger type, not the shorter type we currently employ.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #45
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

We have the middle linebacker for the Tampa 2, but we don't have the outside linebackers, or the secondary, which is a huge part of the equation. Diles and Greenwood would get surgically defeated on every play. Xavier Adibi, based on his college play, has the ability to be a Tampa 2 style linebacker. We would also need a better pass rush as the front 4 needs to be able to get pressure alone in a successful Tampa 2. I think we have alot of good players on our defensive line but we need a more explosive, and frankly suitable player than Weaver is on the other side of Mario. Our secondary also doesn't cut it. Tackle missers like CC Brown are back breakers in a Tampa 2.

I'd like to see some form of a cover 2 system here if that's the direction we are going. It's a defense that can be extremely hard to beat if you have the players. You've just got to have the players.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 09-26-2008 at 01:20 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #46
Polo

In case you guys didn't know, we run the Tampa 2 at times...

We were in the Tampa 2 on the now infamous Demeco on Hines Ward play...
Old 09-26-2008   #47
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

Yes we do. I reckon most, if not all teams run a version of the Tampa 2 at times.
Old 09-26-2008   #48
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

Yea, everyone runs the cover 2. I don't think we have the players to run it all the time like Tampa does.

Great thing about the Tampa 2 is that you can run it for the majority of the game. As long as you have the players.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read