Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 09-25-2008   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 09 Mock Draft

yeah I know its early but it seems fitting to start looking around the nation for possible upgrades once again. I don't focus too much on who they have Houston selecting more on where players are rated & I think this one does a very good job of placement or pecking order so to speak. you can check it for weekly updates as well-

http://walterfootball.com/draft2009.php

Houston Texans: Myron Rolle, S, Florida State
Basically the Best Player Available formula for a team really hurting for defense. It's not like safety isn't a need, anyway. Poor Texans fans had to watch Ben Roethlisberger and Kerry Collins dissect their stop unit to exact precision this season.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 09 Mock Draft

Obviously, I am a big FSU fan, but this guy has Myron too high. Myron was the number 1 overall recruit a few years ago, Percy Harvin was number 2, but he has never lived up to the hype. Granted he has been solid, but not a playmaker. Maybe this year will be different, but thus far I haven't seen him make many big plays. He has improved every year. Number 9 would be WAY too high. He is MAYBE a first rounder, and that's a big maybe.

Myron is a fantastic student. He is very smart and Mickey Andrews always talks about his preparation and how good it is.

I watch Myron, Tony Carter, and Everette Brown on defense practically the whole time. During the WF game Myron repeatedly got beat by their TE, luckily Skinner missed on most of the throws.

We'll see how the remainder of the season goes, but I don't think he should be a first rounder.

I've also heard that he wants to go to Oxford, and could forgoe the NFL. He wants to be a road scholar, and he is actually well on his way.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

ya i'll be fine with Selvie
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #4
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

I love Walters site
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

well just finished watching the OSU USC upset game & came away dissapointed with that trojan D, the offense not being to far behind.

first start with Rey Maualuga, his reaction time & reads are a step slow not to mention has a hard time locating a small target. Has all the measureables except plays out of control or not smart I don't know which in any case a top 5 pick is too high would much rather have Selvie.

second, Taylor Mays is a very impressive physical athlete as are most USC starters but is raw, unpolished & plays out of control don't know where his head is at either.

third, Brian Cushing seems more like a good fit in space for what the Texans need from the OLB position but I just didn't notice him much at all in the backfield something I need to see in order to sign off drafting him in the 1st rd. for the Houston Texans.

However, Clay Matthews did impress despite getting undercut by undersized Jacquizz Rodgers (ran for 186 yards and two touchdowns) has a natural abilty to live in the backfield decent speed & athletic ability but first & foremost smart. while not a first rd. talent Clay is the kind of player I was hoping for in Adibi. based on what I saw not to mention his pedigree I would grade him a solid 3rd/4th rd. pick. his football background is both impressive & exciting for his dad was Clay Mattews LB Cleveland Browns and Atlanta Falcons from 1978 to 1996. His brother, Kyle, lettered at safety on USC's 2003 national championship team & uncle Bruce, was a 3-year (1980-82) letterman offensive guard at USC who earned All-American honors in 1982 and then played with the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans from 1983 to 2001. His grandfather, Clay Sr., was on the football, wrestling and swimming teams at Georgia Tech in the 1940s and then played in the NFL with the San Francisco 49ers in the 1950s talk about lineage

Sorry I got a little carried away silly me you can keep scrolling down to also find rds. 2 & 3. no Clay Matthews.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 09-26-2008   #6
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
However, Clay Matthews did impress despite getting undercut by undersized Jacquizz Rodgers (ran for 186 yards and two touchdowns) has a natural abilty to live in the backfield decent speed & athletic ability but first & foremost smart. while not a first rd. talent Clay is the kind of player I was hoping for in Adibi. based on what I saw not to mention his pedigree I would grade him a solid 3rd/4th rd. pick. his football background is both impressive & exciting for his dad was Clay Mattews LB Cleveland Browns and Atlanta Falcons from 1978 to 1996. His brother, Kyle, lettered at safety on USC's 2003 national championship team & uncle Bruce, was a 3-year (1980-82) letterman offensive guard at USC who earned All-American honors in 1982 and then played with the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans from 1983 to 2001. His grandfather, Clay Sr., was on the football, wrestling and swimming teams at Georgia Tech in the 1940s and then played in the NFL with the San Francisco 49ers in the 1950s talk about lineage

Sorry I got a little carried away silly me you can keep scrolling down to also find rds. 2 & 3. no Clay Matthews.
Mathews really cought my eye also. Just wrote this on another board.
After watching USC get wooped by Oregan State I have officially put Clay Mathews on my watch list. For thise of you who dont know he is the son of former NFL (Cleveland Browns) linebacker Clay Mathews and nephew of Bruce Mathews former Houston Oilere Lineman. Clay Mathews Sr was one of the best to ever play. But that has nothing to do with why i'll be watching him. He was all over the field and made several big plays, even blocked a field goal.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Mathews really cought my eye also. Just wrote this on another board.
After watching USC get wooped by Oregan State I have officially put Clay Mathews on my watch list. For thise of you who dont know he is the son of former NFL (Cleveland Browns) linebacker Clay Mathews and nephew of Bruce Mathews former Houston Oilere Lineman. Clay Mathews Sr was one of the best to ever play. But that has nothing to do with why i'll be watching him. He was all over the field and made several big plays, even blocked a field goal.
NFL DRAFT SCOUT RISER: Matthews might have been overlooked coming into the season -- his NFLbloodlines are not as Bruce (uncle), Clay (grandfather) and Clay, Jr.(father) are former pros -- because scouts focused on his talented teammatesat linebacker. But Matthews' play in the opener -- six tackles, one sack, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries at Virginia -- opened some eyes. As a stand-up pass rusher, Matthews constantly was in the face of Virginia QB Peter Lalich. He also securely tackled ball carriers in space and took on blocks. This could be the third Clay Matthews to suit up in the NFL. - Chad Reuter, NFLDraftScout.com, The SportsXchange

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2008   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

The knock on Maugula has always been his style of play, ie playing out of control at times. He goes "balls to the wall" if you will, but doesn't always read the play before reacting. That fault of his has been documented before unfortunately. Reminds me of Rey Lewis in that aspect as well as his entire game.

Cushing played a very good game yesterday. Beerlover, he should be able to get into the backfield a little more, as he did play DE last year I believe. He has the size and the experience at DE, but maybe he had an off-day, as did the entire team. It's something to watch for as we move along in the season. I still have both of those two USC LBs as first rounders, with out a doubt. Mathews however, caught my attention as well. I would like to watch him more before I project him. I would have like a little more girth, but he had an impressive game and has been playing well all year.
Old 09-26-2008   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Any update on Maualuga's knee?

It didn't look too serious but he never came back in the game...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008   #10
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i wouldnt mind brandon spikes to play beside demeco.... he would defently bring an attitude to our D but only thing is character issues but atleast we would actually have a personality
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #11
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Looking like this is going to be a good deep draft for DE's and LB's.

What do you guys think of Briam Orakpo, the DE out of Texas?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Looking like this is going to be a good deep draft for DE's and LB's.

What do you guys think of Briam Orakpo, the DE out of Texas?
I've been high on him for about two years now.

He's always been a solid player, but the new defensive coordinator at Texas is really allowing him to showcase his talents.

Probably a 2nd round talent. Maybe higher by the end of the season...
Old 09-29-2008   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we'll have a top ten pick going into the draft unfortunately.

but Rick Smith will pull a great trade down netting us an additional 2nd round pick.

1st: OG Duke Robinson (Oklahoma)
2nd: DE Greg Middleton (Indiana)
2nd: SLB Brandon Spikes (Florida)
3rd: RB James Davis (Clemson)- doubtful he's available
4th: Free Safety
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #14
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

but Rick Smith will pull a great trade down netting us an additional 2nd round pick.

I agree with the trade down but I don't think OG will be our first pick. DE and then two OLB's. We will go guard in the 3rd and RB in the 4th.

But hey, I have only been wrong on every single draft selection so far in the last seven years so who knows what we will do.

Old 09-29-2008   #15
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1965 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

I could ride with this one.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #16
TEXANRED
Texan-American

What about Kevin Matthews, Center out of A&M? I have not been able to stomach most of the Aggie games the last few years so I don't know much about him other than he comes from one hell of a blood line.

Does anyone know if he is a JR or a SR?

Old 09-29-2008   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What about Kevin Matthews, Center out of A&M? I have not been able to stomach most of the Aggie games the last few years so I don't know much about him other than he comes from one hell of a blood line.

He's probably the best o-lineman A&M has.....but that's not saying much.
Old 09-29-2008   #18
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1965 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Jr.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #19
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
ya i'll be fine with Selvie
Hell yes, but hopefully we're not picking that early.

I've had enough of our secondary as well, so William Moore would be option 1A.
Old 10-02-2008   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Houston Texans: Myron Rolle, S, Florida State
Basically the Best Player Available formula for a team really hurting for defense. It's not like safety isn't a need, anyway. Poor Texans fans had to watch Ben Roethlisberger and Kerry Collins dissect their stop unit to exact precision this season.
I like the way they edit to stay current. their pick looks even better this week-

Quote:
Basically the Best Player Available formula for a team really hurting for defense. It's not like safety isn't a need, anyway. Poor Texans fans had to watch Ben Roethlisberger, Kerry Collins and David Garrard dissect their stop unit to exact precision this season. Now, C.C. Brown is out for the year. Houston's defense is a mess.
next week they can add Peyton Manning to the list.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read