Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2008   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Running The Ball

I saw the article in the Chronicle today about how are team is going to rally around the bright spot so far in the season that is Steve Slaton.

If you go back and look how we got the 8 wins last year, we did that by being dedicated to running the football. I think we got away from that a little bit this season. There were a few plays where running the ball would've been a better decision last week. Anyhow, last year, if you notice, when we ran the ball we started getting real good at it and our offense as a whole became more effective - especially in the redzone. I think if we can redidicate ourselves to becoming a run team we can save this season.

I'm not talking running to set up the pass. I'm talking running to get this team to start hitting people. Waking us up by smacking people. The better our oline gets at it, the better the team chemistry comes together, the more dangerous Slaton becomes. We have proven that by doing this even Ron Dayne can ressurect his career and even Darius Walker looked good at times.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #2
Polo

Default Re: Running The Ball

I wish the Texans would just do it and stop talking about it.
Old 09-25-2008   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year, there were times when we tried to run and it just wasn't working. There were times when we should've been passing and taking what was there for the taking as the passing game was obviously superior to our running game. Maybe Slaton will make it OK to be a run first team, I just don't want to forget that we have AJ, Walter, and OD just waiting to light it up.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Last year, there were times when we tried to run and it just wasn't working. There were times when we should've been passing and taking what was there for the taking as the passing game was obviously superior to our running game. Maybe Slaton will make it OK to be a run first team, I just don't want to forget that we have AJ, Walter, and OD just waiting to light it up.
I agree. I just think they were trying to be this run team, and they haven't stuck to their guns on that. Initially in the offseason the coaches and all were talking about being a better run team. Of course this was before they knew they were going to cut Chris Brown and Ahman Green was going to pull or twist anything. They failed to have a back up plan and then went into passing team mode, failing to give Steve and Taylor a whole lot of opportunities.

Now that Steve has shown he can carry the rock and shoulder the load, maybe we go back to our original plan.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read