Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2008   #41
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sarcasm alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Chick
The entire defense has been a 2+ year experiment of trying to find schemes that do anything other than leaving the Texans at the bottom of the league defensively.
Word.

Get a real defensive coordinator already.

Quote:
In the second half, the Texans hardly missed a tackle, holding the Titans to 88 yards of total offense and a field goal.
We can't take credit for Fisherball. Dude is notorious for getting a lead and sitting on it. It's whack to act like our defense was oh-so-great in the second half because the Titans went vanilla to kill some time.
Old 09-24-2008   #42
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I don't understand folks being upset with the defense trying to get creative...The complaint is that we're too bland and then when we do something different and the results are seemingly positive we gripe anyway...

Yeah Mario is our best pass rusher...He's also our best overall player over there...

I have no problem with them using him in a variation of ways as long as it's effective...
I think that's the whole point. It wasn't effective. This "spinner package" looked ok when they were bouncing MW around the Dline as a pass rusher and he got close to the QB.

The first time he dropped into coverage in the first quarter he wasn't even close to the guy. They were in what appeared to be a zone coverage with MW short with Reeves about 10 yards behind. The WR zipped right between them and went for about 20 yards. MW dove, but was nowhere close to the ball or the player. I think this was the play.

I don't mind standing MW up and letting him "pick his *****", but pass coverage not so much

Quote:
2-6-HOU 32 (8:26) 5-K.Collins pass short left to 17-Ch.Davis to HOU 11 for 21 yards (35-J.Reeves).
Old 09-24-2008   #43
Polo

One play of twenty yards hardly quantify's it as "not working" IMO.

I can point to many more plays where Mario has been a pash rusher and we've been gashed for much more. Guess Mario as a pass rusher is a bad idea too ?

I didn't say it worked everytime but it did produce positive results.

You guys wanted the Co-ordinator to be less predictable and more creative...I think he's trying to do that...

Last edited by Polo; 09-24-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2008   #44
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
We can't take credit for Fisherball. Dude is notorious for getting a lead and sitting on it. It's whack to act like our defense was oh-so-great in the second half because the Titans went vanilla to kill some time.

They tried to run it, we stopped the run.

They tried to pass, we stopped that too.

Dont know how you can argue with this:

3rd Quarter

15:00 4:43 TEN Punt
07:45 1:09 TEN Field Goal
05:12 2:01 TEN Punt
01:49 1:37 TEN Punt

4th Quarter
7:05 2:18 TEN Punt
04:20 1:50 TEN Punt

The one field goal they got was after the Texans failed 4th down try.

Titans have a good running attack and in the second half when they could have really put their foot down our defense didn't let that happen. Even when they did try to pass we disrupted the play.
Old 09-24-2008   #45
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Titans have a good running attack and in the second half when they could ahve really put their foot down our defense didn't let that happen.
The Texans D did play better in the 2nd half. Interesting it took a player rather than the coach to inspire that performance change.
Old 09-24-2008   #46
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

3rd Quarter

4th Quarter

Titans have a good running attack and in the second half when they could have really put their foot down our defense didn't let that happen. Even when they did try to pass we disrupted the play.
You have a point, but I'm just not sure how much I want to hang my hat on it.

The entire Titans team takes on the persona of Fisher. So they have historically played very conservative ball when they have a lead in the second half. There is a reason why Jeff Fisher has some ungodly win record when he goes into the second half and fourth quarter with a lead.

I bet a lot of defenses look good in the second half in Titans game for this very reason.

Why can't our D come out of the gate playing that way?
Old 09-24-2008   #47
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

3rd Quarter

4th Quarter

Yeah, but did you read my write up about this?

Yes, in some ways they played better. But they also had the benefit in a number of situations of the Titans being stuck near their own endzone due to Texans non-scores and punts, and wanting not to do stupid stuff.

They didn't even try to throw in the 4th quarter.

Really, the best things that happen for the defense is when the opposing offense does stupid stuff. Not because they are pressured into it but because the opposing offense fails to execute.

This defense is very up and down. One moment they might do something great, and then they follow it up with stuff of head scratching stupidity. That happens less when your best players are also not some of your youngest.
Old 09-24-2008   #48
Polo

Quote:

Why can't our D come out of the gate playing that way?
They aren't that good.

Probably the same reason Matt comes out Shaky and then kinda gets it going.

I think our players/coaches gotta do a better job of being fired up out of the gates.
Old 09-24-2008   #49
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
One play of twenty yards hardly quantify's it as "not working" IMO.

I can point to many more plays where Mario has been a pash rusher and we've been gashed for much more. Guess Mario as a pass rusher is a bad idea too ?

I didn't say it worked everytime but it did produce positive results.

You guys wanted the Co-ordinator to be less predictable and more creative...I think he's trying to do that...
I'm not sure I understand your logic.

MW was drafted as DE that could rush the passer as well as the run. He has since proven he could do so.

There are many ways to switch things up along the Dline in order to be productive. Dropping MW, Weaver, Kalu and any other lineman into coverage is asinine IMO.

Look at the Ravens for example. There are times where they might have only one or two Dlinemen with their hand down while the rest are bouncing around like fleas along the line.

To each their own, I reckon. But IMHO, our defensive scheme sucks and it falls directly on the DC. Before long it'll fall in Kubiaks lap for staying with it/him.

Old 09-24-2008   #50
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Titans had two possesions...Both were three and out....Their net yards for both those drives was 7 yards....

And you're right...Their play-calling was conservative on one drive cuz it started from our 1 yard line...

I'm not saying our defense is good...I just think that they do deserve a little credit for stepping it up in the 2nd half...It wasn't all on the Titans conservative play-calling...In the third qtr they were still throwing it deep and running screens....

This is the same team that we almost had the historical comeback against...I seriously doubt that Fisher thought his 21-12 lead was safe heading into the second half...

Last edited by Polo; 09-24-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2008   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Word.

Get a real defensive coordinator already.

The other team does not really need much of an offense if we keep giving them the ball.
Old 09-24-2008   #52
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Titans had two possesions...Both were three and out....Their net yards for both those drives was 7 yards....

And you're right...Their play-calling was conservative on one drive cuz it started from our 1 yard line...

I'm not saying our defense is good...I just think that they do deserve a little credit for stepping it up in the 2nd half...It wasn't all on the Titans conservative play-calling...In the third qtr they were still throwing it deep and running screens....

This is the same team that we almost had the historical comeback against...I seriously doubt that Fisher thought his 21-12 lead was safe heading into the second half...
I would add that as pathetically ugly as this game was from our standpoint, it was still win-able well into the 2nd half. Throw out the last second interception return, and it was a 12 point game. With several unsuccessful and/or out and out stupid 4th down attempts from deep inside Titans territory, you simply can't pin this on the D. Yeah, if we'd scored and Tennessee was starting drives outside their 10 yard line, that might have changed the offensive strategy that the Titans used, but so what. The reason we will never know what would have happened is because the offense and coaching decisions were just horrible at pivotal points in the game.
Old 09-24-2008   #53
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Default Re: Kubiak Presser Quotes

Quote:
They aren't that good.

Probably the same reason Matt comes out Shaky and then kinda gets it going.

I think our players/coaches gotta do a better job of being fired up out of the gates.
Without a doubt, man.
Old 09-25-2008   #54
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

That stat tells me everything....We always "improve" statistically when the other team is "putting us away"....its a shame that is all we have to hang out hat on.
Quote:
When Fisher was asked about not having any 4th quarter passes for two games in a row, he responded:

"It's not unusual. It's just the way we are. We're running the football and winning games".

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #55
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51932 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

We did really well against the Steelers in the 4th quarter, when they brought in Mendenhall too

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read