Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2013   #1
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2013 Texans Draft Grades

I realize the draft is not done, but I doubt the Texans make a move to get into the 7th. If they do, I will revise accordingly.

Round 1, Pick 27- Clemson WR DeAndre “Nuke” Hopkins, 6’1” 214 lbs Grade: A+
We all knew receiver was a need, so the Texans went out and got and addressed it. Hopkins is a big receiver with strong hands, and will compete for every ball. He has good body control and thus runs fantastic routes, which allows him to get open despite not being a burner (though he certainly has adequate speed). While Hopkins may not have the upside of Hunter or Patterson, he is definitely a safer pick, and a surer bet to contribute right away. For a win-now team such as the Texans, that is a huge factor. However, Hopkins is not destined to be just a number 2 (as Woods or Allen may turn out). Hopkins has the raw physical gifts to become a true number 1 receiver. A+ pick, no doubt.

Round 2, Pick 57- South Carolina S D.J. Swearinger, 5’11” 208 lbs Grade: A
Swearinger will not only replace GQ, but will make us forget about him in a hurry. Swearinger is a smart kid and a ferocious hitter who will give the D some teeth. What prevents this pick from being an “A+” is that I think he will be a bit frustrating due to his propensity to get penalties, as well as his tendency to go for the big hit in lieu of just wrapping up the ball-carrier. Still, I am absolutely stoked about the pick.

Round 3, Pick 89- North Carolina OT Brennan Williams, 6’6” 318 lbs Grade: A
Another great pick by the Front Office. Williams is a pure RT prospect who can a real SOB out on the field. Long arms to keep pass rushers at bay, and can move pretty well (though not as well as, say, Brown). As an added bonus, Williams’ father played in the league for a long time. If there is a weakness, it is that he is a bit raw as a result of him being a starter for just a season and a half. With some good coaching, Williams can become a very good RT for the Texans.

Round 3, Pick 95- LSU OLB Sam Montgomery, 6’3” 262 lbs Grade: B
This pick is the first one that makes me a little nervous. There is no denying that Montgomery has talent- he does, in bushels. However, he is not going to be an elite pass-rusher, I just don’t see the explosion and bend that the elite guys have. I also have reservations about his ability to cover in space, but since there is little to no tape on that, I can’t really comment. Montgomery is a relentless player on the field though, and is a solid tackler with good instincts. It is unlikely that he will start this year (unless they do move either him or Reed to ILB), but he should see the field a solid amount as a rookie.

Round 4, Pick 124- UCONN OLB Trevardo Williams, 6’1” 241 lbs Grade: B
I like this pick, but I am cautious. Williams is very quick and explosive, but is raw (needs to learn pass rushing techniques) and needs gain some strength in his lower body. I highly doubt he ever becomes an every down player, as he is simply terrible against the run- gets swallowed by blockers, and does a poor job figuring out where the ball carrier is going. However, he can be a double digit sack guy coming in on passing situations.

Round 6, Pick 176- San Jose State OT David Quessenberry, 6’5” 302 lbs Grade: A
Quessenberry is a former TE that has tons of athletic talent, almost tailor-made for the ZBS. He also exhibits a nice nasty streak, which you want to see in OL prospects. However, the guy needs to beef up and to work on his technique, especially in pass protection. I definitely don’t expect him to do much this year, but in 2014 he should make for a great swing tackle. I do see buzz about him being a candidate to be moved inside, but I think he is a better fit at tackle. We will see though.

Round 6, Pick 195- Jacksonville State WR Alan Bonner, 5’10” 193 lbs Grade: F
Ugh. Disclaimer- I know next to nothing about this guy. If this bothers you, skip to the next pick. However, the fact that I knew nothing about the kid says something, as I have spent far too many hours scouting the draft. He has lackluster stats (at the FCS level, no less), and poor workout numbers. It’s a 6th, so it hardly affects the draft’s grade, but I would much rather have seen just about any other receiver taken here. Terrible pick in my opinion.

Round 6, Pick 198- Bowling Green NT Chris Jones, 6’2” 302 lbs Grade: B
I want to like this pick more than I do. It’s a NT, and Jones is a high effort player. However, I just can’t give more than a “B” here, and I think that is generous. I don’t see a lot of upside, but he should be a solid backup. You can’t really ask for more out of a 6th rounder.

Round 6, Pick 201- UCONN TE Ryan Griffin, 6’6” 261 lbs Grade: C
This grade is more a reflection of the position than the player. It’s not that I don’t think we could use a good TE- I want another top-notch guy- but that I don’t think Griffin improves the team that much. He is big and can do everything decently, but he is not ever going to be an elite blocker or receiver. I don’t hate the pick, but I am just not excited. And that is a “C” grade- the pick is just average.

Summary/Final Grade: A
Did you expect anything else? Hopkins, Swearinger, B. Williams, Montgomery and T. Williams will contribute immediately, while Quessenberry has long term potential. Sure the draft kind is nothing special near the end, but 6th rounders are not expected to do much. Very nice draft, could possibly be the best ever in franchise history.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #2
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades

I won't grade every pick, but overall I'd give it an A-........ Still possibly the best we've ever had, but pick of the small school receiver over other guys with better potential keeps it from being an A+ for me.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #3
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

The picks after Quessenberry were questionable but that was deep into "garbage time" in the draft. From the first round pick down to the Quessenberry pick I like it a LOT.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 299017 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Over all, we had a good draft and improved the team. Not every draft pick is going to make it anyway. I think we did good this draft.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #5
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

I plan on writing about it later tonight, but I have to say this draft deserves an A. I was a little disappointed with 2 of the 6th round picks, but they are 6th rounders. The DT, and Quessenberry save the 6th round. Overall, great draft.

Check out Seeing Red later tonight for my Blog.

Mallet: The Texas Hammer!
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Of the picks that matter, only one concerns me, and that's Montgomery. That could be an A pick or an F. If he busts specifically because of bad football character, then it's terrible pick. If he busts for any number of other reasons, then it's still a great pick. They got a lot of talent for where he was drafted. Did they do their homework on his character? We'll find out.

Overall: A
Old 04-27-2013   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 323040 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Of the picks that matter, only one concerns me, and that's Montgomery. That could be an A pick or an F. If he busts specifically because of bad football character, then it's terrible pick. If he busts for any number of other reasons, then it's still a great pick. They got a lot of talent for where he was drafted. Did they do their homework on his character? We'll find out.

I like what Herring said about Montgomery, he's just a kid who's honest, a little naive, and he's got a big personality. He likes to talk and because he's honest, he doesn't even realize when he's saying things that hurt his cause.

I don't see that as the sort of character concern that's going to impact his on-field performance.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2013   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Of the picks that matter, only one concerns me, and that's Montgomery. That could be an A pick or an F. If he busts specifically because of bad football character, then it's terrible pick. If he busts for any number of other reasons, then it's still a great pick. They got a lot of talent for where he was drafted. Did they do their homework on his character?
I think the question is, "Are the Texans as smart as they think they are?"

Quote:

We'll find out.
Ain't that the truth.
Old 04-28-2013   #9
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree! However, I gave them a B+, becuz of Montgomery, Alan Bonner, & T Will. Hopefully I'm wrong! Nice solid draft!
Old 04-27-2013   #10
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

A- overall.

LOVED getting Hopkins, one of the most productive WR's last year in the NCAA. Short term is going to relieve some of the pressure from AJ. Long terms has the tools to turn into a #1 WR.

While immediately not familiar with Swearinger, I am really stoked about this pick. Just is going to fit in perfectly short and long term.

Brennan has what you want in a RT for this team.

Montgomery will probably contribute as a rotational player his first year at least.

Williams looks EXPLOSIVE and productive at Uconn, will he turn into something special is going to be up to the LB staff and him.

Quesenberry looks like a good long term prospect who can play multiple positions. Probably a better fit at tackle though.

Bonner, just really not a fan of this pick and not because I don't know enough. Kinda small, not elite speed, and unimpressive coming out of a small school. It's just looking like an uphill battle aside from the team deciding to keep six WRs to make the roster.

Jones could possibly come in and be a rotational DT.

It's not that I am unimpressed by Griffin it's just another TE that I don't see creating mismatches in the passing game.

Overall without a doubt A draft. I dunno if Gary got locked in a closet or what but no real gambles or smarter than you picks in the top of this draft. Just knowing your team it's scheme and finding players that fit EXACTLY what you're trying to do.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #11
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
A- overall.

LOVED getting Hopkins, one of the most productive WR's last year in the NCAA. Short term is going to relieve some of the pressure from AJ. Long terms has the tools to turn into a #1 WR. (1)

Overall without a doubt A draft. I dunno if Gary got locked in a closet or what but no real gambles or smarter than you picks in the top of this draft. (2) Just knowing your team it's scheme and finding players that fit EXACTLY what you're trying to do.
(1) Today and yesterday is the first I've heard here that my main man DeAndre can possibly become a #1. All during the mock draft he was talked about as having strictly a #2 ceiling. One quote I recall is "...he'll never be a number 1 but will be a solid #2 (pun intended)" I think that was from draftnik

(2) Wade did it.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 183943 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I realize the draft is not done, but I doubt the Texans make a move to get into the 7th. If they do, I will revise accordingly.

We all knew receiver was a need, so the Texans went out and got and addressed it. Hopkins is a big receiver with strong hands, and will compete for every ball. He has good body control and thus runs fantastic routes, which allows him to get open despite not being a burner (though he certainly has adequate speed). While Hopkins may not have the upside of Hunter or Patterson, he is definitely a safer pick, and a surer bet to contribute right away. For a win-now team such as the Texans, that is a huge factor. However, Hopkins is not destined to be just a number 2 (as Woods or Allen may turn out). Hopkins has the raw physical gifts to become a true number 1 receiver. A+ pick, no doubt.

Swearinger will not only replace GQ, but will make us forget about him in a hurry. Swearinger is a smart kid and a ferocious hitter who will give the D some teeth. What prevents this pick from being an “A+” is that I think he will be a bit frustrating due to his propensity to get penalties, as well as his tendency to go for the big hit in lieu of just wrapping up the ball-carrier. Still, I am absolutely stoked about the pick.

Another great pick by the Front Office. Williams is a pure RT prospect who can a real SOB out on the field. Long arms to keep pass rushers at bay, and can move pretty well (though not as well as, say, Brown). As an added bonus, Williams’ father played in the league for a long time. If there is a weakness, it is that he is a bit raw as a result of him being a starter for just a season and a half. With some good coaching, Williams can become a very good RT for the Texans.

Round 3, Pick 95- LSU OLB Sam Montgomery, 6’3” 262 lbs Grade: B
This pick is the first one that makes me a little nervous. There is no denying that Montgomery has talent- he does, in bushels. However, he is not going to be an elite pass-rusher, I just don’t see the explosion and bend that the elite guys have. I also have reservations about his ability to cover in space, but since there is little to no tape on that, I can’t really comment. Montgomery is a relentless player on the field though, and is a solid tackler with good instincts. It is unlikely that he will start this year (unless they do move either him or Reed to ILB), but he should see the field a solid amount as a rookie.

Round 4, Pick 124- UCONN OLB Trevardo Williams, 6’1” 241 lbs Grade: B
I like this pick, but I am cautious. Williams is very quick and explosive, but is raw (needs to learn pass rushing techniques) and needs gain some strength in his lower body. I highly doubt he ever becomes an every down player, as he is simply terrible against the run- gets swallowed by blockers, and does a poor job figuring out where the ball carrier is going. However, he can be a double digit sack guy coming in on passing situations.

Quessenberry is a former TE that has tons of athletic talent, almost tailor-made for the ZBS. He also exhibits a nice nasty streak, which you want to see in OL prospects. However, the guy needs to beef up and to work on his technique, especially in pass protection. I definitely don’t expect him to do much this year, but in 2014 he should make for a great swing tackle. I do see buzz about him being a candidate to be moved inside, but I think he is a better fit at tackle. We will see though.

Round 6, Pick 195- Jacksonville State WR Alan Bonner, 5’10” 193 lbs Grade: F
Ugh. Disclaimer- I know next to nothing about this guy. If this bothers you, skip to the next pick. However, the fact that I knew nothing about the kid says something, as I have spent far too many hours scouting the draft. He has lackluster stats (at the FCS level, no less), and poor workout numbers. It’s a 6th, so it hardly affects the draft’s grade, but I would much rather have seen just about any other receiver taken here. Terrible pick in my opinion.

Round 6, Pick 198- Bowling Green NT Chris Jones, 6’2” 302 lbs Grade: B
I want to like this pick more than I do. It’s a NT, and Jones is a high effort player. However, I just can’t give more than a “B” here, and I think that is generous. I don’t see a lot of upside, but he should be a solid backup. You can’t really ask for more out of a 6th rounder.

This grade is more a reflection of the position than the player. It’s not that I don’t think we could use a good TE- I want another top-notch guy- but that I don’t think Griffin improves the team that much. He is big and can do everything decently, but he is not ever going to be an elite blocker or receiver. I don’t hate the pick, but I am just not excited. And that is a “C” grade- the pick is just average.

Did you expect anything else? Hopkins, Swearinger, B. Williams, Montgomery and T. Williams will contribute immediately, while Quessenberry has long term potential. Sure the draft kind is nothing special near the end, but 6th rounders are not expected to do much. Very nice draft, could possibly be the best ever in franchise history.
Pretty much agree with your eval word for word.

2. Like the pick but wanted more speed. Amerson went about where I expected. Grr! Should replace Reed when he leaves.

3. Hear is where I am pissed, we could have had Brandon Williams NT at 89 (Ravens traded to 94 to get him) and then went Brennan 95. I am okay with Montgomery but same reservations as you.

4. Trevardo is one trick pony but could be an awesome one.

6th delete Bonner and move other two up and select Beauharnais ILB at 201. Heck, Cobi Hamilton WR Ark at # 195 would have been smarter.

Final grade A

If they had drafted Beauharnais and Hamilton rather than Bonner and TE Griffin I would still be screaming.
Old 04-27-2013   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I give it an A. This is my favorite draft we have ever had, when looking at it on draft day.

I really like Hopkins for us. We got a safety in Swearinger that will play alot in our nickel and dime packages in the second round. Our 3rd rounders consist of a RT that could start sometime this year, and Montgomery who should see a decent amount of playing time if he does not start. Trevardo Williams looks like a nice developmental/backup OLB. I hear alot of good things about Quessenberry and it is always good to get better along the offensive line. The other 6th rounders make sense from a positional standpoint, who knows how they will turn out.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

The Sporting News -- A-

Quote:
Houston Texans: They started with a bang to complement two future Hall of Famers, a wide receiver opposite Andre Johnson (Clemson's DeAndre Hopkins) and a hard-hitting strong safety to support Ed Reed (South Carolina's D.J. Swearinger). They also got an option to solidify right tackle (North Carolina's Brennan Williams) opposite Pro Bowler Duane Brown. With Connor Barwin gone, they had to restock their pass-rush quiver behind J.J. Watt, and Wade Phillips' coaching should boost what LSU's Sam Montgomery and Connecticut's Trevardo Williams can do as 3-4 outside linebackers.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 323040 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

From SBNation:

The Link

Texans: C+
Colts: B
Jags: B
Titans: B

Huh? What?

That's not how I saw the draft go down at all!
Old 04-28-2013   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 220696 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
From SBNation:

The Link

Huh? What?

Me either , I thought that no team in the AFC South improved more than the Texans .... Maybe Im biased.

Tenn. did do well in rebuilding their OL .... but I really thought the Dolts draft was lackluster at best and the Jaq's .... are just bad.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #17
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
From SBNation:
The Link

Huh? What?

One, it appears to only be grading Day 3 picks,

And two, it's SBNation.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #18
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Lightbulb Re: 2013 Texans Draft Grades

I would hold my judgement until the end of the season....to see who is still on this team......and who is gone........
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

This is probably something I shouldn't be doing considering my current level of pain medication... but...

I love, love, LOVE this pick. I expect the kid to come in immediately as our #2 and upgrade that position. I think he's going to have a great future. I didn't expect him to fall to us.

For this season, our dime package will include Manning, Reed, and Swearinger. Which means Keo and Demps won't find the field as much. How is that not epic win? He brings a swagger and confidence and I expect him to be a great understudy to Reed.

I think this kid is a really good player. He's going to get a lot of work this offseason since Newton is injured. And I expect Williams to take the RT spot and be a starter.

Round 3, Pick 95- LSU OLB Sam Montgomery, 6’3” 262 lbs Grade: A
Although there are questions and reservations about whether this kid can work in space, he had more production than his line-mate, Mingo, who was drafted 6th (iirc) by the Browns. I think this kid's going to be a starter although he might not be a day 1 starter.

Round 4, Pick 124- UCONN OLB Trevardo Williams, 6’1” 241 lbs Grade: A
Kids got great upside. Might just be a Will pass rush specialist but I expect him to be part of our OLB rotation. IF we move Reed inside, then I think Williams will see the field a lot. If we DON'T move Reed inside, he'll probably be limited to ST duty. I gave him an A because I think he's going to get a lot of playing time and be very disruptive.

I think this was totally a value pick. I think the Texans had Brennan Williams and Quessenberry high on their list and at about the same spot. And when they got to the 6th round, they couldn't NOT pick him. I don't know what this means wrt the composition of our line next year. If Quessenberry is as versatile as people said, he could be our swing OR he could push for work on the interior of the line. The tape of this kid at the Senior Bowl stonewalling people was awesome.

Round 6, Pick 195- Jacksonville State WR Alan Bonner, 5’10” 193 lbs Grade: B
He's a good route runner and he's got good hands. The WR room is going to be very full with AJ, DH, KM, Posey, Jean, Maehl, this kid, and the UDFAs. But I think this kid is going to stick. Not because he's going to be one of our main WRs but because he's going to handle the KR/PR duties.

Round 6, Pick 198- Bowling Green NT Chris Jones, 6’2” 302 lbs Grade: A
I've loved what I've seen and heard about this kid. He's very slippery and he gets good penetration. Which is exactly what Wade wants from his NT. I expect him to be in rotation with Earl.

I don't have a problem with this pick. I wanted us to take a TE at some point. We're still suffering from the loss of Dreessen. I'm just not sure this is the guy that's going to come in and dominate the TE3 spot.

At this point in the season, I'm loving this draft. I think we've got 7 guys we are going to see significant duty and contribute to the team.

BUT.

I do like to look at the positive side of things so it might just be me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read