Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-26-2013   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AFC South 2013 Draft

Tennessee Titans:

Round 1, Pick 10: Chance Warmack, G, Alabama

Round 2, Pick 34: Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee

Round 3, Pick 70: Blidi Wreh Wilson, CB, Connecticut

Round 3, Pick 97: Zavier Gooden, OLB, Missouri

Round 4, Pick 107: Brian Schwenke, C, California

Round 5, Pick 142: Lavar Edwards, DE, LSU

Round 6, Pick 202: Khalid Wooten, CB, Nevada

Round 7, Pick 248: Daimion Stafford, S, Nebraska

The Titans reshaped their offensive line this offseason and it looks like it is going to be pretty strong. They got some good defense players in this draft as well. Justin Hunter is a guy we will probably be seeing alot of. I think the Titans did very well.

Indianapolis Colts:

Round 1, Pick 24: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State

Round 3, Pick 86: Hugh Thornton, OG, Illinois

Round 4, Pick 121: Khaled Holmes, C, USC

Round 5, Pick 139: Montari Hughes, DT, Tennessee-Martin

Round 6, Pick 192: John Boyett, S, Oregon

Round 7, Pick 230: Kerwynn Williams, RB, Utah State

Round 7, Pick 254: Justice Cunningham, TE, South Carolina

Looks like they wanted to get better up front, on offense and defense, and they accomplished that. I don't know anything about their late round picks.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Round 1, Pick 2: Luke Joeckel, LT, TXAM

Round 2, Pick 33: John Cyprien, S, FIU

Round 3, Pick 64: Dwayne Gratz, CB, Connecticut

Round 4, Pick 101: Ace Sanders, WR/KR, South Carolina

Round 5, Pick 135: Denard Robinson, RB/WR, Michigan

Round 6, Pick 169: Josh Evans, S, Florida

Round 7, Pick 208: Jeremy Harris, CB, New Mexico State

Round 7, Pick 210, Demetrius McCray, CB, Appalachian State

The Jaguars clearly wanted to upgrade their secondary. Three corners and two safeties. Denard Robinson and Ace Sanders are interesting players. They were smart to take Joeckel.

*UPDATED*

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 04-27-2013 at 06:34 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #2
pissknocker
Veteran

Rep Power: 968 pissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AFC South 2013 Draft

Hags blew it by not taking Geno. Or maybe their plan is to tank this year and get tahj Boyd next draft.
pissknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #3
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Tennessee Titans:

Round 1, Pick 10: Chance Warmack, G, Alabama

Round 2, Pick 34: Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee

Round 3, Pick 70: Blidi Wreh Wilson, CB, Connecticut

Round 3, Pick 97: Zavier Gooden, OLB, Missouri

Indianapolis Colts:

Round 1, Pick 24: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State

Round 2, Pick 86: Hugh Thornton, OG, Illinois

Jacksonville Jaguars

Round 1, Pick 2: Luke Joeckel, LT, TXAM

Round 2, Pick 33: John Cyprien, S, FIU

Round 3, Pick 64: Dwayne Grayz, CB, Connecticut

I don't think any of them blew it, or hurt themselves. All three drafts look pretty solid. The Colts' draft isn't sexy, but I like it. Same can be said about the Jaguars, and the Titans to a degree. The Titans traded up for Justin Hunter, but that may not turn out to be so bad for them.
I like what both Tennessee and Jacksonville have done in the draft so far, but neither one of them have a quarterback. And I won't fear them until they do. Locker and Gabbert will never be good quarterbacks in the league.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdbag View Post
I like what both Tennessee and Jacksonville have done in the draft so far, but neither one of them have a quarterback. And I won't fear them until they do. Locker and Gabbert will never be good quarterbacks in the league.
It's not that I like Locker, but I don't think he's as bad as we say he is. A decent OL can make us all change our minds about him. In addition to the Center & Guard they drafted, they've also picked up Livitre & Spencer this off season. That OL is going to get better.

& if they can get decent production from CJ2ypc....

I've been worried (needlessly) about the Titans for the last two years. Munchak ain't no fool, it's only a matter of time.
Old 04-27-2013   #5
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I updated the picks.

Alot of offensive linemen and secondary players coming in to the AFC South.

Justin Hunter, Ace Sanders, and Denard Robinson are receivers that we may have to watch out for.
Old 04-27-2013   #6
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I updated the picks.

Alot of offensive linemen and secondary players coming in to the AFC South.

Justin Hunter, Ace Sanders, and Denard Robinson are receivers that we may have to watch out for.
JAX is calling Robinson a RB right now. Lots of McCluster comparisons. I think he is a hybrid player, but more of a RB than a WR.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Titans should have one of the best O-lines in the league if their Tackles hold up. Two top Guards in Andy Levitre & Chance Warmack. Brian Schwenke looks like a good prospect at the center. Looks like they are gearing up for JJ Watt inside.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2013   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Werner a lot, but I don't think the colts helped themselves much in the draft.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #9
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33993 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Titans should have one of the best O-lines in the league if their Tackles hold up. Two top Guards in Andy Levitre & Chance Warmack. Brian Schwenke looks like a good prospect at the center. Looks like they are gearing up for JJ Watt inside.
Doesn't hurt to have a couple guys named Munchak and Matthews coaching them either. Oh yeah, and some guy named Johnson running the ball. Should be an interesting division next year with the improvements Indy and TN have made. If Gabbert becomes a player we could have one of the toughest in the league.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing with the Titans draft is they have mentioned a Zone blocking system yet they draft a guard in the top ten who realistically can not run the ZBS. Was a move that reeked of desperation. I get a draft is more than just the first round but that pick makes little sense.
Old 04-29-2013   #11
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't even lie, the titans had a helluva draft. Only time will tell if Locker is the answer at qb......early returns aren't positive.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #12
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Can't even lie, the titans had a helluva draft. Only time will tell if Locker is the answer at qb......early returns aren't positive.
Basis for your opinion? :tapsfingers:

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Basis for your opinion? :tapsfingers:
I agree with him and I think it is pretty evident.

They got a starter at guard and at center. Warmack was the #2 guard prospect, but really was rated more like 1b by most experts. Schwenke was a top 3 center prospect by many of the experts.

Hunter has the ability to be a dynamic wide receiver. He does have some question marks, but the Titans look to be more dangerous with him on the roster.

I've seen quite a bit of Blidi Wreh-Wilson and I think he can probably compete for playing time at nickel in training camp. I don't know alot about Gooden, but I have read good things.

It's not the best draft of all time or anything, but it appears they had a pretty darn good draft.
Old 05-01-2013   #14
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you guys just not take into account the fact that the Titans were picking 10th? I mean really, what's there to like about getting an OG at 10th overall? I don't get it, Warmack will be a RG, which will help, but probably won't make much of an impact on the team as a whole. He's not a playmaker or a gamechanger, so it's a very meh pick to me.

Hunter might be really good, but Locker is the one that will need to get him the ball. If they had a better QB, I would be concerned, but right now he doesn't scare me. If they get a Boyd or Bridgewater next year, I'll be more concerned.

A nickel CB with their 3rd? They didn't need a nickel CB, they needed a #2 CB to start opposite McCourty and challenge Verner. Their defense gave up the most points in the league last year, and they didn't do much to fix that. They will still be outscored by a touchdown on average next year.

The third best center in the draft? I mean c'mon, that's such a relative term to sell that as an improvement. Sounds more like Titans marketing rather than sound reasoning. The Cowboys got the consensus #1 center in the draft, do you really expect them to turn it around next year?

The rest of these guys are just depth, which is expected, but nothing in this draft makes me think the Titans will be any more than a 5-7 win team next year. Probably less if they get beat early, so they can get an upgrade at QB.
Old 05-01-2013   #15
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Do you guys just not take into account the fact that the Titans were picking 10th? I mean really, what's there to like about getting an OG at 10th overall? I don't get it, Warmack will be a RG, which will help, but probably won't make much of an impact on the team as a whole. He's not a playmaker or a gamechanger, so it's a very meh pick to me.
I guess it just depends on how important you view the offensive guard position. I think in the past, rookie salaries kept teams from taking positions like offensive guard in the top 10. Not so much anymore. It's well worth it to take a guy that is projected to be a very safe pick and an instant upgrade along the offensive line in the top 10, even at offensive guard now.

I think Warmack could easily be a game changer for them in not only the running game, but in the passing game.

Quote:
Hunter might be really good, but Locker is the one that will need to get him the ball. If they had a better QB, I would be concerned, but right now he doesn't scare me. If they get a Boyd or Bridgewater next year, I'll be more concerned.
That's not really sound logic either. The same could be said about Andre Johnson. It's not like we had a QB that was worthy of throwing him balls at the time, and it doesn't make the pick bad by any means. The Titans can't control what QBs are available via the draft. They improved their offensive line and gave him another weapon to help him develop. Locker is still a young player.

Quote:
A nickel CB with their 3rd? They didn't need a nickel CB, they needed a #2 CB to start opposite McCourty and challenge Verner. Their defense gave up the most points in the league last year, and they didn't do much to fix that. They will still be outscored by a touchdown on average next year.
Corners, like wide receivers, usually don't have great rookie years. It's a transition process for corners to not use their hands so much, as we have seen with our own players. This guy has the potential to be a starter pretty early on in his career. To get a guy that you feel comfortable with playing nickelback in TC in the 3rd round is great, in my opinion.

Quote:
The third best center in the draft? I mean c'mon, that's such a relative term to sell that as an improvement. Sounds more like Titans marketing rather than sound reasoning. The Cowboys got the consensus #1 center in the draft, do you really expect them to turn it around next year?
Well, many people thought Schwenke was the best center prospect and the Titans got him in the 4th round. The Cowboys drafted the #1 center prospect (universally viewed as a third rounder) in the first round.

I don't really look at drafts for what they do for the team next year, but rather what it means for 4 years. I think they got 2 starting offensive linemen that are projected to be good players, a corner that could develop into a starter by end of his rookie year potentially. A wide receiver that could develop into a top 10 or 15 receiver in the league.

It's hard to grade any draft, because it is all about projections. Nobody claims to know what is going to happen in the future, we can only go off of the information that is available today. Seems like a good draft to me.

Having said that, the Titans will most definitely be better next year on offense. With these 2 rookies and the addition of Levitre, their running game is going to be alot more dangerous. That's great for them, because they need to put CJ's talents to use before he moves on.
Old 05-01-2013   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I'm not saying they had a great draft, or it was a good pick... only that there's reason to believe their OL will play better in 2013.
Old 05-02-2013   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The rest of these guys are just depth, which is expected, but nothing in this draft makes me think the Titans will be any more than a 5-7 win team next year. Probably less if they get beat early, so they can get an upgrade at QB.
Adding Levitre to go with Warmack and my #1 rated C Schwenke, with Munchack and Matthews teaching them = Locker showing much improvement. Roos is a Pro Bowl level LT and Stewart is a solind RT but is coming off injury.

All in all it looks like a solid OL and adding a playmaker like Hunter to a finally healthy Britt and Kendal Wright means CJ is going to have huge yr. They've added blocking and speed to the roster. That's a lethal combination. Adding a very underrated Edwards to their DL rotation added to an already great draft. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read