Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you grade the second selection of the third round?
A 22 28.57%
B 33 42.86%
C 14 18.18%
D 5 6.49%
F 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2013   #1
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

How do you grade the second selection of the third round?
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #2
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Great value in the 3rd
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Never mind.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 04-26-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Inc. - I want to know why "so many" teams took him off their board after Combine interview?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the position and the guy obviously has talent but has questionmarks .... other players I would rather have had.

I give it a C-.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I gave it a B, but it could easily be an A.

He plays very strong, but I didn't see the burst that I wanted to see. But I like his film more than I liked Merciless' film.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the pick, this guy has explosion and with the right scheme and coaching, he can be an elite edge rusher in this league. Cant see why everyones down on this pick.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2013   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Just judging from what I see on film I see a guy that plays strong and is aware. Sets the edge well and looks like a good enough pass rusher for the strong side. I'm excited about him and trevardo Williams because our olb's did not excite me.
Old 04-30-2013   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking of taking plays off against lesser opponents, Hopkins was pretty good at that against Ball St. and Furman.

On plays that were called to the other side, he barely started his routes.
On run plays to the other side, or even up the middle, sometimes he just stood around.
I even noticed him not doing much of a job on a run play to his side.
The runner got tackled right into his feet. He could have gained a few more yards had Hopkins did his job with gusto.

All that changed the following week against Florida St., however, Hopkins worked hard in his blocking and route running even when the plays weren't to his side.

So yeah, I think a lot of guys don't get a thrill out of beating up on weaklings.
I don't need to ask them the question; I can see it on the field.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Speaking of taking plays off against lesser opponents, Hopkins was pretty good at that against Ball St. and Furman.

On plays that were called to the other side, he barely started his routes.
On run plays to the other side, or even up the middle, sometimes he just stood around.
I even noticed him not doing much of a job on a run play to his side.
The runner got tackled right into his feet. He could have gained a few more yards had Hopkins did his job with gusto.

All that changed the following week against Florida St., however, Hopkins worked hard in his blocking and route running even when the plays weren't to his side.

So yeah, I think a lot of guys don't get a thrill out of beating up on weaklings.
I don't need to ask them the question; I can see it on the field.
Not making an excuse, but I've played against cream puffs and it is hard to stay focused when you are absolutely destroying someone. And if that's when you take plays off, you'll probably never have that problem in an NFL game.
Old 05-01-2013   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Not making an excuse, but I've played against cream puffs and it is hard to stay focused when you are absolutely destroying someone. And if that's when you take plays off, you'll probably never have that problem in an NFL game.
My only concern is if he will take off plays when his team is getting destroyed. He never was in that situation at LSU, aside from maybe that championship game against Bama. Might be worth a look there to see if he's trying to help his team get back in the game, or is just giving up. In any case, motor/drive issues can be somewhat expected at the end of the 3rd round and beyond, if he didn't have questions like this about him, he would have gone in the 2nd or earlier.
Old 05-01-2013   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
My only concern is if he will take off plays when his team is getting destroyed. He never was in that situation at LSU, aside from maybe that championship game against Bama. Might be worth a look there to see if he's trying to help his team get back in the game, or is just giving up. In any case, motor/drive issues can be somewhat expected at the end of the 3rd round and beyond, if he didn't have questions like this about him, he would have gone in the 2nd or earlier.
He played hard throughout that BCS game.
It was a grind out game with only 52 defensive snaps for LSU (and 27 pass attempts for McCarron).

Montgomery got a sack and at least one (maybe 2 QB pressures).
He was in for two assists in the run game.
They had him mostly two-gapping to control the edge.

Bama had 331 yards in total offense, more than 100 under their average.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #13
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
He played hard throughout that BCS game.
It was a grind out game with only 52 defensive snaps for LSU (and 27 pass attempts for McCarron).

Montgomery got a sack and at least one (maybe 2 QB pressures).
He was in for two assists in the run game.
They had him mostly two-gapping to control the edge.

Bama had 331 yards in total offense, more than 100 under their average.
Well that's good to hear, though I'm not surprised. Before the combine I saw several mocks that had him as a late 1st round pick. I just hope he can make the conversion to 34 OLB.
Old 05-02-2013   #14
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

All the concerns I've seen in this thread are so similar to concerns we had a few years ago, that you could literally replace Montgomery's name with Mario Williams name.
Montgomery will probably be WOLB, and in Wade's system, that position is very much like a "rush" DE. Didn't Wade say Mario was going to rush the passer something like 95% of the time, and drop in zone only occasionally?
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

NOLA Com on Sam Montgomery

I loved this...
Quote:
He once responded to the question, 'What do you think of Bear Bryant?' with 'I don't know, I haven't seen film of him.'"
I admit. I lold.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
All the concerns I've seen in this thread are so similar to concerns we had a few years ago, that you could literally replace Montgomery's name with Mario Williams name.
Montgomery will probably be WOLB, and in Wade's system, that position is very much like a "rush" DE. Didn't Wade say Mario was going to rush the passer something like 95% of the time, and drop in zone only occasionally?
But for entirely different reasons.

Mario had questions about his motor because he disappeared from games and on tape.

Montgomery has questions because he said he didn't try as hard against weaker opponents because it was hard to get as excited but that he didn't expect that in the NFL. BUT... on tape and in games, Montgomery was a high-motor player. He does NOT disappear from games. He had at least one sack in almost every game he played in.

But the Mario comparison is interesting to me.

Physically, the guys aren't comparable, really. Mario is just so much bigger. Mario is just a freak.

But to my eye, at least, the way Montgomery moves reminds me of Mario.

Since Wade thought he could make a Will out of Mario and since Mario seemed to be thriving in his defense, I'll go along with the move of Montgomery to OLB. I don't think he'll be able to go SAM, though, if he has any coverage responsibilities. I think he'll be a monster if they let him run downhill.
Old 05-02-2013   #17
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
But for entirely different reasons.

Mario had questions about his motor because he disappeared from games and on tape.

Montgomery has questions because he said he didn't try as hard against weaker opponents because it was hard to get as excited but that he didn't expect that in the NFL. BUT... on tape and in games, Montgomery was a high-motor player. He does NOT disappear from games. He had at least one sack in almost every game he played in.

But the Mario comparison is interesting to me.

Physically, the guys aren't comparable, really. Mario is just so much bigger. Mario is just a freak.

But to my eye, at least, the way Montgomery moves reminds me of Mario.

Since Wade thought he could make a Will out of Mario and since Mario seemed to be thriving in his defense, I'll go along with the move of Montgomery to OLB. I don't think he'll be able to go SAM, though, if he has any coverage responsibilities. I think he'll be a monster if they let him run downhill.
I'm not really drawing a comparison between the players themselves as much as pointing out that a lot of people are posing pretty much the same questions about Montgomery as were asked about Mario, referring to him as strictly a DE, hand-in-the-dirt type of player who doesn't do well in space/coverage.
That's not what Wade really wants from that position, so I don't really get the point of questioning a players attributes that will rarely be required.
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be curious as to why Kaiser Toro, painekiller, Tailgate, TEXANS84 gave a "D" rating.

I didn't give the Texans draft a much better grade at a "C", but a "D" grade intrigues me. Guys, give me your reasoning if you want.

Seriously, just curious because maybe I missed something.
Old 05-02-2013   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I'm not really drawing a comparison between the players themselves as much as pointing out that a lot of people are posing pretty much the same questions about Montgomery as were asked about Mario, referring to him as strictly a DE, hand-in-the-dirt type of player who doesn't do well in space/coverage.
That's not what Wade really wants from that position, so I don't really get the point of questioning a players attributes that will rarely be required.
Well, that's where the whole WILL vs. SAM conversation comes up.

From what I recall, Wade played Mario at the Will where he would have minimal coverage responsibilities and his main function would be to penetrate and disrupt. And I can see Montgomery fitting into that role like Mario.

But they're talking about trying Montgomery first at the SAM to see if he can read and cover and if he can't THEN moving him to WILL where he'll have limited reads and more of a penetrate and destroy function.

I'm just having a problem seeing this guy as a SAM, even though that's his name.
Old 05-02-2013   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

They're Putting him at sam because he plays strong. He holds the point well and overall he's good against the run.

Brooks Reed didn't cover people coming out of college either...and honestly he's not some body that you want playing a bunch of coverage either. All these guys are converted DE's who primarily rushed the quayernack on passing downs.

You just want your strong side OLB to be decent enough to drop into zone...not get completely embarrased on the rate occasions you have to play man.

But while we're talking about Reed, i don't really think he's all that good. I think he's ok. I don't care for him at OLB because I don't think he's a good pass rusher from the edge. I don't really like him at MLB because I don't think he's fluid enough in coverage (which he'd be doing a lot more of) and I don't think he's a sideline to sideline guy. I don't think he brings a lot of value to that position on much else besides runs in between the tackles where he can use his strength and leverage to stuff the hole.

But I think he's an ok solb and he'd be a below average MLB.

Not a merciless fan either. He plays stiff IMO and he nor reed are good at getting off blocks.

I honestly think they drafted two olb's because they realized that their edge players were sub par. Reed and merciless need to show major improvement this year or I'd rotate some other guys in there. We can't have such pathetic pressure from the edges again this season.

I'm looking for both of the rookies we drafted to be involved in the pas rush this year because frankly I don't think the incumbents will do enough in passing situations to keep them off the field.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read