Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-28-2013   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans cap space, as of March 26

PFT

Bengals: $28.9 million.

Browns: $28.7 million.

Buccaneers: $28.8 million.

Jaguars: $26.6 million.

Eagles: $26.3 million.

Packers: $18.3 million.

Bills: $16.8 million.

Dolphins: $15.7 million.

Cardinals: $14.0 million.

Patriots: $13.4 million.

Jets: $13.0 million.

Colts: $11.7 million.

Titans: $10.7 million.

Broncos: $8.8 million.

Lions: $7.2 million.

Ravens: $7.2 million.

Chargers: $7.0 million.

Seahawks: $6.8 million.

Falcons: $6.2 million.

Bears: $5.3 million.

Vikings: $5.1 million.

Texans: $4.9 million.

Giants: $4.5 million.

49ers: $4.5 million.

Saints: $3.3 million.

Redskins: $3.2 million.

Chiefs: $3.1 million.

Raiders: $2.8 million.

Steelers: $2.5 million.

Rams: $1.0 million.

Panthers: $936,000.

Cowboys: $51,000.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans cap space, as of March 26

that did not include the FB Jones correct?
Old 03-28-2013   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
that did not include the FB Jones correct?
Probably not since Jones signed on the 27th and this number was "as of March 26th"

Basically they have their rookie pool money available.

The good news is that they havent reworked or extended any deals and still have the ability to do so if the need should arise tho I dont think they want to if they can help it.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Probably not since Jones signed on the 27th and this number was "as of March 26th"

The good news is that they havent reworked or extended any deals and still have the ability to do so if the need should arise tho I dont think they want to if they can help it.
That confirms my thoughts. I am mildly surprised they did not rework Antonio's last year of his deal. I could see them adding 2 years but maybe they would rather go with Crick or Mitchell or even a draft pick in 2014. Of course, if not going after a high $ FA why do that?

If April goes the way I hope, I see a QB, DE (Smith), OG (Smith), ILB?) and CB
in '14.
Old 03-28-2013   #5
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
That confirms my thoughts. I am mildly surprised they did not rework Antonio's last year of his deal. I could see them adding 2 years but maybe they would rather go with Crick or Mitchell or even a draft pick in 2014. Of course, if not going after a high $ FA why do that?

If April goes the way I hope, I see a QB, DE (Smith), OG (Smith), ILB?) and CB
in '14.
I would guess it has more to do with Antonio and his agent wanting to wait for free agency next year to see what he's actually worth. He will be semi-old, but he's been productive and could get a deal like Kyle Vanden Bosch did a couple years ago. Dude was 31 and got 4 years 26m from the Lions.
Old 03-28-2013   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I would guess it has more to do with Antonio and his agent wanting to wait for free agency next year to see what he's actually worth. He will be semi-old, but he's been productive and could get a deal like Kyle Vanden Bosch did a couple years ago. Dude was 31 and got 4 years 26m from the Lions.
I think it has just as much to do with the team not wanting to push money into the cap of future years. That could hinder both future improvement and their ability to resign their own FA's in Watt , KJax and Cushing ....

You look at their cap situation , they have next to no dead money and the cap should increase significantly in the next two years with the new TV deals kicking in. They'll be in prime position cap wise ....

Old 03-28-2013   #7
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Although if he and his agent pay attention to today's NFL they'd see that guys on the other side of 30 aren't getting long term high $$ deals. That's reserved for the guys coming off their rookie contracts. The most Antonio would probably get would be 3 years $9 million tops. Well, that's my thought based on how this offseason is going at least.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2013   #8
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

So does that mean we do not have anything other than $4.9mil set aside for draft picks/rookies?
Old 03-28-2013   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
So does that mean we do not have anything other than $4.9mil set aside for draft picks/rookies?
Right now our cap already accounts for a 53-man roster.
I estimate that we still have about a mil to spare, unless there's something goofy that is going on.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Right now our cap already accounts for a 53-man roster.
I estimate that we still have about a mil to spare, unless there's something goofy that is going on.
Unless Im mistaken , the cap only accounts for the top 45 salaries on the roster up to a specific point in time after which it must account for the 53 man roster.

I dont know what this 4.9 figure accounts for. It could be 53 , it could be 45.

The specifics of the cap take a damn rocket scientist to figure out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
They would also have the option of designating him a June 1 cut (or actually cutting him after June 1), in which case, $3.5 Million of the dead money would hit the 2014 cap, and the remaining $7 Million would go against 2015.

Good point .... tho I dont know how you arrived at the figure. That is an option that would spread dead money out.

Old 03-28-2013   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Pretty much .... tho with the new CBA and "slotted values" , I think they will be Ok.

Its what they do with whats left over that matters.

Old 03-29-2013   #12
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Holy crap, the Bengals still have 29 million dollars in cap space?
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
At that time, in addition to the additional 2 roster spots, the salary cap will also apply to any players on IR and all practice squad salaries.
I believe it is the signing bonus (if any) given to the practice squad player, and not his salary.

$4.9 million isn't much left, considering the Texans still have to reserve cap room for a rookie pool of 9 draft picks. They have more maneuvering to do.
Old 03-29-2013   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72577 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I believe it is the signing bonus (if any) given to the practice squad player, and not his salary.

$4.9 million isn't much left, considering the Texans still have to reserve cap room for a rookie pool of 9 draft picks. They have more maneuvering to do.
Time to do some restructuring and bring in Casey Hampton as well.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #15
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope - it's the salary...

From Article 13 (Salary Cap Accounting Rules) Section 5. (Computation of Team Salary) of the current CBA:

Quote:
(c) Practice Squad Contracts. Any Practice Squad contract Salaries shall be included in Team Salary except to the extent otherwise provided in Article 33, Section 5.
For 2013 minimum practice squad salary is $6,000/week, so with a 17 week season, the minimum amount that goes towards a full practice squad roster (8 players) would be $816,000. Obviously, there could be temporary vacancies on the PS due to signings, but since the Texans have a history of a full practice squad, I'd imagine they have this full amount designated towards the 2013 salary cap.
Old 03-29-2013   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope - it's the salary...

From Article 13 (Salary Cap Accounting Rules) Section 5. (Computation of Team Salary) of the current CBA:

Quote:
(c) Practice Squad Contracts. Any Practice Squad contract Salaries shall be included in Team Salary except to the extent otherwise provided in Article 33, Section 5.
What is the "except to the extent otherwise provided"?
Old 03-29-2013   #17
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What is the "except to the extent otherwise provided"?
The "except" has to do with another team picking up a PS player and then cutting him in less than three weeks. Not applicable in the vast majority of PS player situations.
Old 03-29-2013   #18
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
Holy crap, the Bengals still have 29 million dollars in cap space?
Their owner is notorious for being cheap. He never pays anyone. They have 3-4 young guys they should re-sign right now and he doesn't want to open his checkbook.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #19
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

They need to get antonio off that 9.5m. He's not worth that no matter what people try to say. He's a 5m a yea max player. Either they need to extend him for 4 yrs and thin his number out or cut him. 4 yrs 20m with 6m guarantee is what they should offer him. They could get lloyd,seymore,and alan branch for 9.5m
Old 03-30-2013   #20
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
They need to get antonio off that 9.5m. He's not worth that no matter what people try to say. He's a 5m a yea max player. Either they need to extend him for 4 yrs and thin his number out or cut him. 4 yrs 20m with 6m guarantee is what they should offer him. They could get lloyd,seymore,and alan branch for 9.5m
I think they'll extend him pretty soon. Its probably already in the works.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read