Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-19-2013   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Possible Pro Bowl Change

Interesting idea to shake up a stale format...
Quote:
The game is expected to be held in Hawaii next year but the way the teams are chosen might change.

One intriguing option sure to be thoroughly examined is holding a draft as a way to divide up the teams. Details are not yet available on how the process would play out, but one possibility would be for player captains to choose teams as if on a schoolyard. Up until now, teams were separated by conference.
http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...g/Default.aspx

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
...holding a draft as a way to divide up the teams.
I can see that generating some attention. An inventive idea.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #3
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33472 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I can see that generating some attention. An inventive idea.
Sure is inventive! They had to sit and watch the NHL All-Star game from previous years to come up with this
Old 07-27-2013   #4
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
Sure is inventive! They had to sit and watch the NHL All-Star game from previous years to come up with this
You beat me to the punch. The NHL has already done this and I thought it was pretty silly.

IMO, they should just do away with the Pro Bowl. Hardly anyone cares and it's no where near the level of the MLB all star game because it's too much of a team sport.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always felt like the NBA all star game should be played that way. Going to take a while for an NFL team to be assembled that way though...

But i think doing it this way would naturally lead to a more competitive product.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

They should turn it into a flag football match. I think a big reason the Pro Bowl is so boring is because players don't want to hit each other and risk injury since it's a pointless game. But if it's flag football there's less risk of injury and it could make it more competitive.

I'm not sure if I even buy into my own argument, but they need to change it up somehow to make it interesting to watch.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #7
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
They should turn it into a flag football match. I think a big reason the Pro Bowl is so boring is because players don't want to hit each other and risk injury since it's a pointless game. But if it's flag football there's less risk of injury and it could make it more competitive.

I'm not sure if I even buy into my own argument, but they need to change it up somehow to make it interesting to watch.
Naked Cheerleaders?
Old 03-19-2013   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

There might be less risk of an injury but who the hell would want to play a nationally televised competitive flag football game as an exhibition?

Just make it a big skills competition like what we had before:

Old 03-19-2013   #9
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
There might be less risk of an injury but who the hell would want to play a nationally televised competitive flag football game as an exhibition?

Just make it a big skills competition like what we had before:

I preferred the skills competition to the actual game, but that's not saying much. I don't know if the NFL can do anything to make people want to watch the Pro Bowl. It's just so dull.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I preferred the skills competition to the actual game, but that's not saying much. I don't know if the NFL can do anything to make people want to watch the Pro Bowl. It's just so dull.
I don't really think that there is a way to have a violent game like football can have an exhibition that features the best of the league and have it still be competitive. Owners/GM's don't want their $100m babies getting injured in a game that does not matter, and I doubt players want to seriously put it all on the line for an extra football game that just doesn't count for much.

I'm sure scouts/coaches could come up with "skill drills" that they could re-make the skills challenge with and it might even resemble some portions of football, but that seems as close as we'll get to having NFL players actually competing in some sort of all-star atmosphere.
Old 07-26-2013   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Could have a defensive and offensive captain for each squad...just pick 10 other starters and the rest are randomly split up between the two teams.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

They need to get over the idea that any kind of all-star game featuring NFL players is going to be competitive or exciting. It's not going to happen and nothing will make it happen. If you select your teams this way, or draw names out of a hat, or sort them in alphabetical order, or have fans fight death matches for the right to name a player to the Pro Bowl it won't make a bit of difference. The teams will still get out there and play at half speed trying not to hurt each other because there's too much money at stake.

The NFL should name Pro Bowl teams and send them to Hawaii but instead of letting them play a game they should have them do entertaining skills competitions and hang out all week long with a team of players about to enter the draft who are also picked by NFL coaches and players. Those guys will play an exhibition game along the lines of the Senior Bowl and it would actually serve a purpose. These guys would work for a week or two with NFL coaches and get to learn and make an impression.

The best thing about it is that no player from this day going forward would ever have to play in more than a single Pro Bowl while at the same time the NFL players would continue to be recognized for their accomplishments. The NFL would have an event that they could televise and exploit while Hawaii would continue to get the big football weekend they always have enjoyed. Make the game something that college players want to get invited to so they can maybe impress NFL teams and coaches and then it will become a more competitive contest.
Old 07-27-2013   #13
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

We already have a much better process for selecting the best players at each position for the current season and it's the process that produces the annual All-Pro team and though it may not be totally void of partisanism it's vastly superior and more fair and valid than the ridiculous popularity contest that's used to select Pro-Bowlers.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
They need to get over the idea that any kind of all-star game featuring NFL players is going to be competitive or exciting. It's not going to happen and nothing will make it happen. If you select your teams this way, or draw names out of a hat, or sort them in alphabetical order, or have fans fight death matches for the right to name a player to the Pro Bowl it won't make a bit of difference. The teams will still get out there and play at half speed trying not to hurt each other because there's too much money at stake.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The NFL should name Pro Bowl teams and send them to Hawaii but instead of letting them play a game they should have them do entertaining skills competitions and hang out all week long with a team of players about to enter the draft who are also picked by NFL coaches and players. Those guys will play an exhibition game along the lines of the Senior Bowl and it would actually serve a purpose. These guys would work for a week or two with NFL coaches and get to learn and make an impression.
I was thinking the same thing, except....
  1. Forget Hawaii
    It's expensive to get the players to Hawaii, now we're also going to send two full teams as well? Do it in Houston, or if they want to get the Northern venues into the post season festivities, do it in Chicago.

The players selected to the Pro Bowl teams can pay their own way.. or not show up if they don't want to. I think eventually players will make their own way, just like a bunch of players make their way to the Super Bowl whether they're playing or not.
  2. Not draft eligible players
    I'd hate for a draft eligible player to get seriously injured before the draft.

Instead, each probowler can sponsor any player who was not on an active roster for x number of games... So let's say Antonio Smith gets voted to the Pro Bowl. He can sponsor Terrell McClain since he was only active for three games of the 2012 season.

So if Jj Watt also gets voted to the Pro Bowl, we don't have another DE or DT that fits the requirements, he can chose a guy he went to school with on another team.

These guys would be looking for an opportunity to prove they can play at this level.

All week, we could see the ProBowler working with his protege. They could have silly competitions all week, Survivor style. Then they'd play all out for the game, not wanting to let their sponsors down.
Old 07-27-2013   #15
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 61122 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been preaching for a while now to just do away with the game and just have some type of awards show. You still choose your all-stars, you can even send them and their families to Hawaii for a week. Because there's no game, you wouldn't have all these injury substitutions, players from the Super Bowl teams could still go and be recognized, and then Saturday night you have an awards banquet where you not only honor the all-stars, show their season's highlights, etc, but you name the MVP, Off. and Def. POTY, Coaches of the year, Rookie OTY, and all that jazz.

That might be a pretty cool event that people might actually want to watch.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Skills competition and then have it divided into two groups, picked by two captains.

Best of both worlds.

Can't have an actual game under any type of inventive/creative methods. The guys back in the 70s and early 80s played for peanuts, they played the Pro Bowl out of sheer pride-of-self and such.
Old 07-26-2013   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Loathe this idea

Quote:
Under the proposal, fans would vote during the season for the top NFL players at each position regardless of conference. For example, instead of voting for three NFC and three AFC quarterbacks, the fans would vote for six quarterbacks from the entire league. (It’s unclear whether players and coaches would still vote on the players, too. Currently, fans, players, and coaches each count for one third of the total vote.)

In December, 86 players selected to the Pro Bowl would be announced, with no specific team affiliation.

Then, on the Wednesday before the game, a draft of the teams would be conducted. The “front office” would include: (1) a prominent NFL alumnus for each team; (2) the highest vote-getter on offense and the highest vote-getter on defense, with each serving as the on-field captain of a team; and (3) the two fans who scored the most points this season playing NFL.com Fantasy Football.
Link

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read