Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2013   #1
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2013 Compensatory Picks ANNOUNCED tomorrow

Looks like tomorrow (3/18) is the day we get word on draft compensation from 2012 free agent losses. Most have predicted that the Texans will get (1) 3rd and (3) 6th rounders based on the losses of Mario, Briesel, Dressen and Allen.

Common sense would seemingly dictate that this frees up the regular 3rd and 6th for trade bait or to move up a few spots in the 3rd or 2nd round. Given the ultra-conservative nature of the Texans organization I don't think we can expect any big splash type moves.

What do you guys see as options?
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #2
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Compensatory Picks ANNOUNCED tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
Looks like tomorrow (3/18) is the day we get word on draft compensation from 2012 free agent losses. Most have predicted that the Texans will get (1) 3rd and (3) 6th rounders based on the losses of Mario, Briesel, Dressen and Allen.

Common sense would seemingly dictate that this frees up the regular 3rd and 6th for trade bait or to move up a few spots in the 3rd or 2nd round. Given the ultra-conservative nature of the Texans organization I don't think we can expect any big splash type moves.

What do you guys see as options?
Rick Smith has a well know approach of moving all over the board, both up and back but mostly back to gather more ammo to move up later where the real value is. But I'm sure that's because he doesn't have to balls to make a *splash* move. Whatever the hell that is. I'm gonna sit back and watch and see how it all works out.

Then I'm going to log on to hear how incompetent he is and how he has no business being a GM in the NFL.

I love the offseason almost as much as the season it's self. Ain't a damn thing these players or the FO staff can do to please the folks on the interwebs.

I LOVE it!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #3
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Rick Smith has a well know approach of moving all over the board, both up and back but mostly back to gather more ammo to move up later where the real value is. But I'm sure that's because he doesn't have to balls to make a *splash* move. Whatever the hell that is. I'm gonna sit back and watch and see how it all works out.

Then I'm going to log on to hear how incompetent he is and how he has no business being a GM in the NFL.

I love the offseason almost as much as the season it's self. Ain't a damn thing these players or the FO staff can do to please the folks on the interwebs.

I LOVE it!

A little sensative about Rick Smith I see.

2 playoff wins in 7 seasons. That's on the entire organization including your boy. They really need to make a bold move this offseason unless they are content with simply filling seats which seems to be the MO these days.
Old 03-17-2013   #4
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Give up a 1st and a 2nd this year and next to move up to 9 and get Dion Jordan.
Old 03-17-2013   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

About the only clear thing that I have seen in the sepculation is the the Texans will get a 3rd for Mario. some think that the texans will get another extra pick or up to three extra picks.

That said, i have no idea why the NFL believes that not making a clear formula for these compensatory picks is a good thing for the teams or its fans.
Old 03-17-2013   #6
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
Give up a 1st and a 2nd this year and next to move up to 9 and get Dion Jordan.
I like Jordan but hell no! He ain't worth that much.
Old 03-17-2013   #7
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Was just throwing it out there as an option since it seemed OP was looking for wild ideas to chew on.
Old 03-17-2013   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2 playoff wins in 7 seasons.
You are running all over the MB spamming this comment. First off, this is about to be Smith's 7th draft. So far he is 2 playoff appearances in 6 seasons.

Second your whine this has some sort of statistical significance is ridiculous when the playoff runs came in THE LAST TWO YEARS. I.E. it is dumb to ***** on a high. 0 of 4 - good time to *****. O of 4 goes to 2 of 6 - not so much.
Old 03-17-2013   #9
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You are running all over the MB spamming this comment. First off, this is about to be Smith's 7th draft. So far he is 2 playoff appearances in 6 seasons.

Second your whine this has some sort of statistical significance is ridiculous when the playoff runs came in THE LAST TWO YEARS. I.E. it is dumb to ***** on a high. 0 of 4 - good time to *****. O of 4 goes to 2 of 6 - not so much.
Good spin, but unfortunately facts are facts... this is Rick Smith's 8th season as GM. Just because he wasn't part of the draft in 2006 doesn't mean he didn't occupy the position.

2 playoff wins in 7 seasons is a simple fact. Not sure how a fact is considered a "whine" unless you have issues processing information that you dislike.

Either way, it's my opinion that the organization has been a relative failure on the field and the numbers kind of bare that out. I'm sorry that you disagree.
Old 03-18-2013   #10
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good spin, but unfortunately facts are facts... this is Rick Smith's 8th season as GM. Just because he wasn't part of the draft in 2006 doesn't mean he didn't occupy the position.

2 playoff wins in 7 seasons is a simple fact. Not sure how a fact is considered a "whine" unless you have issues processing information that you dislike.

Either way, it's my opinion that the organization has been a relative failure on the field and the numbers kind of bare that out. I'm sorry that you disagree.
So let me get this straight; you consider two consecutive division titles a fail??
You're saying going 22-10 over the past two seasons a "relative failure on the field"??
iI don't see how you can count 2006 thru 2009 as potential winning seasons if you knew the cast of castaways we had filling up our roster.

Makes no sense.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

2 playoff wins in 7 seasons. That's on the entire organization including your boy. They really need to make a bold move this offseason unless they are content with simply filling seats which seems to be the MO these days.
That's been the MO since the Texans inception. Winning is just a bonus, this is how a man invests 200-300 mil and turns it into 1.2 bil and counting.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like it's about time to start the TT mock draft. SM hasn't been around much who wants to run it?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #13
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Looks like it's about time to start the TT mock draft. SM hasn't been around much who wants to run it?
That's a pretty good job there steelb. Heck you run a company and it's personnel surely you've got time for the TT mock draft.

I've been trying to decide if I have time to participate this season as at the moment it's nowhere near as hectic as it was last year on the shop front.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #14
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Smith has been building a team. The team was in shambles when he arrived, and although there aren't any rings in Houston yet, he's definately been going the right direction. You don't build a dynasty in a year or two, you just wreck the Cap. Rick isn't perfect, but I think he's batting well over .500 in my opinion.

It may be boring at times, but stability has been good for this franchise. A lot of teams have ADD and run in different direction every year or two, sure some may make a deep playoff run here and there, but the next year they bust and start over.
Old 03-18-2013   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Smith has been building a team. The team was in shambles when he arrived, and although there aren't any rings in Houston yet, he's definately been going the right direction.
The other top 5 teams that were in shambles when Rick Smith came to Houston were, in order of draft pick, the Saints, Titans, Jets, Packers, and Niners. There are three Super Bowl wins and a couple extra championship games mixed in there. Do with that what you will; just thought I'd offer it up for consideration.
Old 03-18-2013   #16
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
The other top 5 teams that were in shambles when Rick Smith came to Houston were, in order of draft pick, the Saints, Titans, Jets, Packers, and Niners. There are three Super Bowl wins and a couple extra championship games mixed in there. Do with that what you will; just thought I'd offer it up for consideration.
ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!
Old 03-18-2013   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's an interesting topic.

The only one of those teams I'd have considered a shambles was the Niners. They went 8 straight years without a winning season. The others all had some success before a bad season and had bases to work from.

Other teams that I would have considered shambles at that time were the Browns, Lions, and Rams. Not many playoff wins or... just wins PERIOD... since 2006 for those guys.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #18
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 43605 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Saints - Had a winning record from 2000 to 2005, and reached playoffs once. Had one bad year in 2006 going 3-13. Have a winning record and gone to playoffs four times since 2006 with one Super Bowl. NOT SHAMBLES

Titans - Averaged 11 wins per season from 1999 to 2003, made playoffs 4 out of 5 years and went to Super Bowl. Had two poor seasons in 2004 and 2005. They rebounded with four years above .500 and two playoff appearances. NOT SHAMBLES

Jets - Had one losing season between 1997 to 2004 with four playoff appearances. Had one bad year in 2005. Posted winning record and 3 playoff appearances since. NOT SHAMBLES

Packers - 13 straight winning seasons from 1992 to 2004 with 10 playoff appearances and a Super Bowl win. One bad year in 2005. Have made playoffs 5 out of 7 years since. NOT SHAMBLES

Niners - Possibly the only "shambles" team in your list, because they had four straight losing seasons before 2006. Of course, the four losing seasons from 2007-2010 before becoming good the last two years looks an awful lot like Rick Smith's career trajectory.

So four of the five teams you mentioned were historically good and even playoff teams before having one bad season, quickly rebounding to their winning ways.

The Texans, on the other hand, were an expansion team that was 18-46 through four years, coming off of one of the worst seasons in NFL history with HWSNBN holding all of their career passing records, before bringing Kubiak and Smith on board. Big, big difference.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #19
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why are you naming the top 5 pick teams of the 2006 draft?

I thought you would know by now Rick Smith wasn't even hired, makes no sense.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read