Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2013   #1
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dre offers to restructure... again

With the Texans up against the cap and AJ wanting a championship, it appears that he has offered to restructure his contact again to relieve some of the roughly $15M his salary counts this year.

Per Randy Harvey...

https://twitter.com/randyharvey/stat...75035557396480
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #2
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dre offers to restructure... again

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
With the Texans up against the cap and AJ wanting a championship, it appears that he has offered to restructure his contact again to relieve some of the roughly $15M his salary counts this year.

Per Randy Harvey...

AJ wants to win SB now! I feel same as you AJ!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #3
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post

Per Randy Harvey...

You would think the FO would've already initiated this conversation w/ some players such as AJ as opposed to the player having to offer it & lead the way. Let's hope they can figure something out & get some players signed to assist in getting AJ a championship.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #4
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
You would think the FO would've already initiated this conversation w/ some players such as AJ as opposed to the player having to offer it & lead the way. Let's hope they can figure something out & get some players signed to assist in getting AJ a championship.
You would have thought.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans hadn't thrown out the "hint" to restructure to several players by now.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #6
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Meh. Andre has been ridiculously selfless throughout his career including a previous restructure. It's hard to ask again and again from a player that has literally been the best example of a football player and good person. Once again dre shows why he is the best when he does stuff like this. I have no issue with FO not asking dre for this.
Old 03-16-2013   #7
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Meh. Andre has been ridiculously selfless throughout his career including a previous restructure. It's hard to ask again and again from a player that has literally been the best example of a football player and good person. Once again dre shows why he is the best when he does stuff like this. I have no issue with FO not asking dre for this.
2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2013   #8
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

While I do think Andre is an unselfish person, restructures aren't an act of generosity when it pays the player more money up front. This is why I'm hoping we don't spend too much money in free agency. It'd be nice to get some guaranteed money off the books to pursue Cushing and Watt.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 135487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
While I do think Andre is an unselfish person, restructures aren't an act of generosity when it pays the player more money up front. This is why I'm hoping we don't spend too much money in free agency. It'd be nice to get some guaranteed money off the books to pursue Cushing and Watt.
Ready to throw in the towel in the season then just because we have other guys to re-sign in other seasons? What sense does that make then? With that approach we'd have to do it every season because there will always be guys to re-sign.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #10
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 8317 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Well he did ask for a raise when he still had 5 years left on a team friendly contract. That plus a restructure last year has made his contract extremely cap prohibitive for 2013.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
Well he did ask for a raise when he still had 5 years left on a team friendly contract. That plus a restructure last year has made his contract extremely cap prohibitive for 2013.
Still, he's only the 7th or 8th highest paid receiver in the league.
The cap hit of a certain player in a certain year is not as important as the over all cap for the team going forward.

It looks to me like the Texans have been quite responsible in the way they spend money.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The cap hit of a certain player in a certain year is not as important as the over all cap for the team going forward.

It looks to me like the Texans have been quite responsible in the way they spend money.
Been thinking about some things, going to share them now:

Three guys upstairs: Bob, Rick, and Gary.

Out of these three guys, which guy has the most pressure upon him?

Bob is the owner. What REAL ramifications await him on a daily basis? I mean, at the end of the day if his team is profitable, if it's valued as high as we all know it is by Forbes' standards, and if fans are pouring through the parking lots and stadium doors on almost a religious basis...Bob is fine. He's good to go.

Gary is the head coach. He has to be responsible for the football product on the field. So he obtains his assistants, he pinpoints what players we need, he trusts he scouting departments and the guidance of his owner and GM to shape what he thinks is the best team he can create out there.

Rick is the general manager. His role is to manage practically everything, in a sense, especially things affecting MONEY now and MONEY later. Sure, there are departments headed up by other important personnel. But face it, at the end of the day it's Rick's ass on the line for the operations side.

I think the toughest job of the three is Rick's. He's between the owner and the head coach. Rick has to juggle a lot of balls, if you know what I mean.

We've got an owner and a head coach who don't operate in the world that the general manager operates within. On either side of Rick, it appears he's got two guys in Bob and Gary who each want us to be as loyal to guys as we can be...and I see Rick as a guy who is ruggedly opposed to wasting time and resources for such things as loyalty and honor.

When we hear of players being pissed off at the Texans, when they go to their new teams, who are they pissed off at? They aren't mad at Bob. They aren't mad at Gary. I'd bet a donut they're aiming the barbs at the GM.

Rick is an assassin. He gladly relishes the "bad cop" role. Before him, we had so much dead money on the books...via Casserly's incompetence...that it affected us for about three or four years after Casserly left. I think Rick has managed the team well. Not perfect, and sure...it could be that Rick has pushed for some of the bad contracts such as Schaub's...at the end of the day, though, taking everything into consideration, I'd say Rick Smith is doing a pretty good job of things so far.

Anybody here think it was Bob or Gary who decided to not even make an offer to Mario? Which guy of those three do all of you think was the one pushing for Winston to get unceremoniously released? Who do we think pushed to trade Ryans and get value out of him...Bob? Nah. Gary? Nah. A-hole Rick Smith? Yep.

Good heavens, I don't even want to think about what type of wussy-centric team we'd have right now if we had a noodle-wristed GM at the controls. We'd be so dysfunctional, we'd be at the bottom of our division and wondering why were still there.
Old 03-17-2013   #13
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 8317 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
What numbers are you basing that on? I think with the escalator kicking in he earns more than everyone except Megatron and Fitz on the monster deals they signed.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, it's probably never crossed their minds. I mean, the front office really doesn't think about stuff like that.

Meanwhile back on planet earth, the Texans have a history of re-working deals with many of its players, for the purpose of creating more cap space.

If AJ says he wants to do it, it means he might have been unwilling before now. It's their finances, and a player and his agent are going to look out for number 1 first. The front office of any team will be more team-focused than any other department in the franchise.

THINK.
Old 03-16-2013   #15
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be surprised if the FO doesn't want to restructure in order to avoid cap problems in the next couple of years when we have to re-sign some of our core pieces.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #16
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

But restructures just "kick the can down the road" (you know, like with our country's debt problems re the budget), and eventually the Texans will be faced with the big cap hit. So the organization may have considerations over the longer term for not wanting to restructure deals now with key players like JJ Watt and perhaps Cushing coming up for new deals in a year or 2 ?
But I'd think Andre would be more interested in restructuring for the addition of a veteran NFL WR on the roster than a safety, even an old pal from college ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #17
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
But restructures just "kick the can down the road" (you know, like with our country's debt problems re the budget), and eventually the Texans will be faced with the big cap hit. So the organization may have considerations over the longer term for not wanting to restructure deals now with key players like JJ Watt and perhaps Cushing coming up for new deals in a year or 2 ?
But I'd think Andre would be more interested in restructuring for the addition of a veteran NFL WR on the roster than a safety, even an old pal from college ?
Andre's been kicking the can down the road for years. This would be (I think) his fourth restructure . He has ALWAYS had a "team, what can I do to help us win now" attitude. Yes, I know he's getting his money but damn... he is definitely losing a lot by letting us "borrow it". Ever think about the interest ramifications of the millions that Andre keeps pushing back to use an example? Even after restructuring, he still has enough fiscal responsibility left over to do his annual Christmas shopping spree.

I guess I'm just saying that I heart Andre Johnson and let's get this man a championship ring.
Old 03-16-2013   #18
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I'm sure he's offering to restructure to free money to bring anyone in, not just a safety. If that were all we were looking at I would hope he wouldn't need to restructure. If Reed wants more than what we have available we would have to move on.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #19
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Yeah, it's probably never crossed their minds. I mean, the front office really doesn't think about stuff like that.

Meanwhile back on planet earth, the Texans have a history of re-working deals with many of its players, for the purpose of creating more cap space.

If AJ says he wants to do it, it means he might have been unwilling before now. It's their finances, and a player and his agent are going to look out for number 1 first. The front office of any team will be more team-focused than any other department in the franchise.

THINK.
C'mon...a history of restructuring deals? I guess technically you are correct since they have restructured a deal or 2 in the past, but Smith & the FO are far from being known to work all angles & create space were space didn't seem to exist like many other FO's whom somehow continue to add pieces as opposed to losing more & more yr in & yr out. These types of moves should've been made early on if feasible & yet they haven't & we have a player saying he is willing....yet hasn't happened as players keep leaving town. Maybe you ought to send the "THINK" memo to Smith quickly because there isn't much getting done & in its current state this team isn't getting better. Thats something to "THINK" about.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #20
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

How many times are we going to go the "Andre will restructure" well in order to "win now"? How many times has Andre restructured already?

Maybe I'm missing something, but, is Ed Reed THAT important? I would have given my left testicle for him two years ago. But, now? I don't know. Does he still have any gas left? And, is whatever gas that's left worth it for Andre to restructure (which, as others have said, will only push these issues down the road, which will be worse in the long run)?

I'm not one of those "panic" people, and in no way am I panicking in this case. But sometimes I really don't understand this team.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read