Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-09-2013   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Free Agents we should look at

We know we don't have alot of money so we will be looking at guys that won't cost much.

This guy really improved into a serviceable LB for the Giants last year.

Chase Blackburn
Free Agent
Linebacker
Ht: 6.3 | Wt: 242

Read more:

I have no idea what Reggie Bush will command on the open market but he would be an upgrade over Justin Forsett.
Old 03-09-2013   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Free Agents we should look at

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
We know we don't have alot of money so we will be looking at guys that won't cost much.

This guy really improved into a serviceable LB for the Giants last year.

Chase Blackburn
Free Agent
Linebacker
Ht: 6.3 | Wt: 242

Read more:

I have no idea what Reggie Bush will command on the open market but he would be an upgrade over Justin Forsett.

Bush has made $10 mil/yr for the past 2 years.......We can't afford him even at a substantial "discount." Meanwhile, the Lions and Cardinals are hot on his heels. Whatever he gets this year, you know will be overpaid.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013   #3
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush may or may not be an upgrade over Forsett, but why would you pay high dollar for a backup RB when you already have Tate in the mix and Forsett can probably be re-signed on the cheap. Makes no sense.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Bush may or may not be an upgrade over Forsett, but why would you pay high dollar for a backup RB when you already have Tate in the mix and Forsett can probably be re-signed on the cheap. Makes no sense.
From everything I have been reading and hearing he wont be able to command a big contract this offseason.
Old 03-09-2013   #5
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Anquan Boldin
Old 03-09-2013   #6
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

If in the terrible case that the Texans do not re-sign Glover Quin, I wouldn't mind them going after Louis Delmas as a Plan B.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Anquan Boldin
I don't know what savings we would get from this, but it was from a Kuharsky article over at ESPN:

1. Cut Kevin Walter, and let McCain, Dobbins, and Quin walk.

2. Restructure AJ and Antonio Smith.

With those moves made, and I can't remember if that included letting Cody go too, but I'd try to get this FA move made right here, below:

3. Sign Anquan Boldin.

The reasons:

A. Walter is done. We have K-Mart and I'll take his return game and ceiling as a WR to get the job done that Walter is known for providing us. Seriously, what could be lost for cutting Walter and trusting K-Mart who will be in his second season and eager to put a shaky freshman year behind him?

B. McCain was coming on strong as a nickel guy, but let's not overpay.

C. Dobbins was my favorite LB past two years because he added low-cost value and reliable run-stopping skills. But, he's injury prone. Time to let go.

D. Quin is the toughest to let walk. But I just don't see how we can retain him, plus I'd rather sacrifice him and gain a pretty boss WR in Boldin.

------------

Anquan Boldin is legit. He's not Eric Moulds. He just took Flacco onto his back, that whole team onto his back, and navigated the Ravens through the playoffs and onto a SB win. He bails out his QB. And frankly, that's what we need: Another "Andre Johnson" type WR. We don't need the little slot WRs who can't get separation nor YAC to save their life out there. We need a BIG MAN who has the veteran skills to burn opposing DBs and get the bail-out pass from the average QB.

I had said I wasn't in favor of wasting any draft picks on offense if it meant giving Gary and Matt tools that we could have used on defense (since I don't think Gary/Matt Ball would even utilize those tools properly to begin with; therefore it'd be a waste). BUT.....that's regarding unseasoned rookies who are out of college. When it comes to a guy like Boldin, if he wants to help a team who is on the cusp of maybe getting him a second SB ring??? And a chance to show the Ravens what they lost??? Yeah, you grab that guy and hope you get to play the Ravens in the playoffs for the chance to go to the Super Bowl. Period.
Old 03-12-2013   #8
Clamp
Rookie

Rep Power: 167 Clamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Would Karlos Dansby Be a Good Pick-Up?

Just saw on NFL.com that the dolphins let Karlos Dansby go. He is 31, but he had 133 tackles last year, 101 solo, and didn't miss a game despite tearing a bicep muscle. Has he played ILB in a 3-4 system before? I always got the impression that he was a smart player. His age could bring his price down a little bit. He was released after the Dolphins got Ellerbe from the Ravens.

Also Kevin Burnett is rumored to be released soon as well. Any thoughts on either of these guys playing for the Texans?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...annell-ellerbe
Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #9
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59514 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would Karlos Dansby Be a Good Pick-Up?

How much better would he be than James? And would a marginal upgrade be worth the $$ we'd have to dole out for him?

Dolphins fans reaction:

http://www.thephins.com/forums/showt...tting-released
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #10
Clamp
Rookie

Rep Power: 167 Clamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respected

Oops, sorry I didn't think to look for a free agent thread. Thanks for the move, Mod.
Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #11
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
- Sources have confirmed the Texans have inquired about free agent wide receiver, Greg Jennings. No contract was offered to Jennings, but contact was made.

- Also, the Texans have put their feelers out on free agent defensive back Charles Woodson. Woodson is scheduled to be in San Francisco on Wednesday talking with the 49ers.
-http://www.stateofthetexans.com/?p=10751
Old 03-13-2013   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm curious to see how much TE Brandon Myers goes for. He would be an excellent #2 TE to have in the passing game. His blocking isn't top notch, but he's better than our other TEs in that regard. For how much this team utilizes 2 TE sets, we could really get some use out of him.
Old 03-16-2013   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would Karlos Dansby Be a Good Pick-Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamp View Post
Just saw on NFL.com that the dolphins let Karlos Dansby go. He is 31, but he had 133 tackles last year, 101 solo, and didn't miss a game despite tearing a bicep muscle. Has he played ILB in a 3-4 system before? I always got the impression that he was a smart player. His age could bring his price down a little bit. He was released after the Dolphins got Ellerbe from the Ravens.

Also Kevin Burnett is rumored to be released soon as well. Any thoughts on either of these guys playing for the Texans?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...annell-ellerbe
Dansby would be a big upgrade over James. It really comes down to $$$$ and yrs if I would sign him. If Dansby wanted too much $$$$, bringing in Connor and drafting AJ Klien in the 3rd rd would be the way to go. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #14
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

With the remaning FAs which ones do you think would be posible 1 year candidates for the Texans?

ILB Rey Maualuga: At 26 yrs old and having a disapointing year playing with Wade who can have him play to his strengths running downhill. Hopefully showcasing himself for long term contract at 27. Plus history with Cushing.

OLB Shaun Phillips: He had 9.5 sacks last year. I would rather have Phillips than Reed.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
With the remaning FAs which ones do you think would be posible 1 year candidates for the Texans?

ILB Rey Maualuga: At 26 yrs old and having a disapointing year playing with Wade who can have him play to his strengths running downhill. Hopefully showcasing himself for long term contract at 27. Plus history with Cushing.

OLB Shaun Phillips: He had 9.5 sacks last year. I would rather have Phillips than Reed.
bite you tongue

once all the big expensive free agents are vacuumed up sending countless teams into future cap Armageddon, Texans will smartly & shrewdly add quality depth @ bargain basement prices. They will then proceed to re-build cornerstone foundation pieces, like Reed though the draft.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #16
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Sharpton will probably start next to Cushing. Karlos Dansby or Dan Connor could provide depth at ILB to replace Dobbins and/or Ruud in rotation with Sharpton. Brad Jones could start at ILB next to Cushing but they won't pay for him. I think they realize they need someone with better cover skills than Sharpton next to Cushing who also becomes a free-agent next year so they'll probably draft at ILB.

They'll probably pick up an outside pass-rusher in the draft. No, they won't pay for Elvis Dumervil.

With Rashad Butler presumably gone, they'll need a body at right tackle. I still find it hard to see Newton, a seventh round pick, as the answer. I wouldn't mind seeding Winston return. Andre Smith from Cincinnati could probably start but would probably cost too much. Perhaps a rookie could be platooned with Newton. They may well re-sign Ryan Harris and stand pat.

Ed Reed is over-rated. They should draft a strong-safety in the second or third round and move Manning to free-safety, his natural position, re-sign Demps and another body to help, like Corey Lynch, also a great special-teams player, or maybe Michael Huff as he can play both spots.

There aren't any free-agent receivers out there that I see as starters, perhaps Michael Spurlock from San Diego.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read