Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-04-2013   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Franchise deadline almost here

And no word on Quin or Barwin. Seems we are more likely to lose both if they are allowed to test the open market.
Old 03-04-2013   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Franchise deadline almost here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
And no word on Quin or Barwin. Seems we are more likely to lose both if they are allowed to test the open market.
Oh well, neither are worth franchising imo. I'd like them both back, but not if it'll put us in more of a bind than we already are
Old 03-04-2013   #3
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33670 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Oh well, neither are worth franchising imo. I'd like them both back, but not if it'll put us in more of a bind than we already are
Agreed, franchising either Quin or Barwin would mean we'd have to overpay them. Neither of them are top 5 at their position. They don't deserve to be paid like one. I wouldn't be against Barwin leaving, but I'd like to see Quin back, and that's the common perception I've noticed around these boards.

I'm confident the FO can work things out with Quin and not have to resort to overpay (franchise) him.
Old 03-04-2013   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 258627 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Barwin is worth more to us than some give him credit for, but not for top 5 pay at the postion. It'll hurt if he leaves, but it'll hurt more if we overpay him. It's not a very good situation for the Texans to be in.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

People keep saying that Quin isn't worth keeping and I have to go back and think about how our team was before we had quality safety play.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
People keep saying that Quin isn't worth keeping and I have to go back and think about how our team was before we had quality safety play.
That's not what people said at all. They're saying, and I agree, that Quin isn't worth franchising. There's a big difference. Quin is good and we'd like him back but he's not elite at his position and not worth top 5 money/franchising.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 245830 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I think Barwin is worth more to us than some give him credit for, but not for top 5 pay at the postion. It'll hurt if he leaves, but it'll hurt more if we overpay him. It's not a very good situation for the Texans to be in.
If he leaves, I think there's no way you move Reed inside. I don't know of anyone else on the team who can play SLB.....

I am not convinced Mercilus can handle WOLB, but I don't think it does any good to have Barwin "push" him. Barwin is a fine pass rusher, but he's not a double digit sack guy & that's what we need at WOLB.

So regardless what we do with Barwin, we need to find another guy to share the WOLB position with Whitney. Someone who might be a double digit sack guy
Old 03-04-2013   #8
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If he leaves, I think there's no way you move Reed inside. I don't know of anyone else on the team who can play SLB.....

I am not convinced Mercilus can handle WOLB, but I don't think it does any good to have Barwin "push" him. Barwin is a fine pass rusher, but he's not a double digit sack guy & that's what we need at WOLB.

So regardless what we do with Barwin, we need to find another guy to share the WOLB position with Whitney. Someone who might be a double digit sack guy
Seems you are quick to judge on Mercilus & Barwin. I can't say what either one are completely capable of, but I do know Barwin has registered double digit sacks & registered 4.5, which was half the total of the gentle giants sack total that season, in very limited action as a rookie. Barwin had a down year & didn't earn a big pay day by his own doing, but he has shown potential & has already accomplished double digit sacks which you stated he wasn't capable of...obviously that was wrong.

Mercilus has only had his rookie season & it would've been an uphill battle for him to supplant Reed or Barwin. When he did get in he had some success. I thinks it's a bit premature to assume he isn't capable of holding down an OLB position as starter based on part time duty as a rookie. He's a 2nd yr player now & young players have proven they can produce early in their careers. I'm not quite ready to cast Mercilus off after one season. A rookie could be brought in to start opposite of Mercilus or next to Cushing. I honestly believe LB could be the 1st pick & will possibly be the best available if he is capable of starting at olb or ILB.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I agree with you for the most part .... I dont think either is worth the franchise number.

Just wonder , what do you think Quin's value is both to the Texans and on the open market.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I agree with you for the most part .... I dont think either is worth the franchise number.

Just wonder , what do you think Quin's value is both to the Texans and on the open market.
I think Quin has high, high value. He can man up on slot or TEs effectively and is stout against the run. He fits our scheme very well. He is everything that Wade would want in a safety for his scheme. It is very important for us to either keep Quin, or to replace him with a very competent player. He is absolutely key to our defense, without him we are much, much worse on defense.

Quin is certainly worth top 5 safety money for not only his versatility but for what he means to our team. He is a leader to not only younger guys but vets view him that way as well.

Not retaining Quin would be a huge mistake in my opinion.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #11
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I think Quin has high, high value. He can man up on slot or TEs effectively and is stout against the run. He fits our scheme very well. He is everything that Wade would want in a safety for his scheme. It is very important for us to either keep Quin, or to replace him with a very competent player. He is absolutely key to our defense, without him we are much, much worse on defense.

Quin is certainly worth top 5 safety money for not only his versatility but for what he means to our team. He is a leader to not only younger guys but vets view him that way as well.

Not retaining Quin would be a huge mistake in my opinion.
I believe I'm one of many that agree 100%. They need to find a way to do it. GQ is WAY to important as a major cog in the defensive machine to let get away. If he hits the open market, he's gone. That will/would be a sad, sad day in Texanville.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335478 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would like to keep Quin but where do you get all this leadership stuff from?
Old 03-04-2013   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I would like to keep Quin but where do you get all this leadership stuff from?
Jonathan Joseph has made comments several times in regards to Quin's natural leadership ability. Early on he spoke about encouraging Quin to embrace his natural ability to be a leader. He and another Texan, maybe Manning, spoke about it again last year. I would have to look up the quotes, but they are somewhere for sure.

Here is an article after the season was over where JJ stressed the need to retain Quin: http://www.csnhouston.com/football-h...s-pats-not-big

I'll find some old quotes today.
Old 03-04-2013   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Neither of them are top 5 at their position.
Quote:
I think Quin has high, high value.
Just curious as to which safeties people rank above Quin. Personally, I think he ranks very highly, but can't honestly say I know who I'd put ahead of or behind him. So I'm curious what people's thoughts are. I know that Quin in this system is different from some of the other top safeties would be in this system.
Old 03-04-2013   #15
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 31109 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Just curious as to which safeties people rank above Quin. Personally, I think he ranks very highly, but can't honestly say I know who I'd put ahead of or behind him. So I'm curious what people's thoughts are. I know that Quin in this system is different from some of the other top safeties would be in this system.
I'm sorry while Quin is an ok safety he's not like it's top 5 in the league, we just haven't had good safety play in a long time noone remembers what it looks like.

Ed Reed
Troy Polamalu
Weddle
Goldson
Wilson
Byrd

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #16
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I would say Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, Dashon Goldson, Eric Weddle, and Troy Polamalu all rank ahead of Quin in terms of value. I don't think Quin is a top 5 safety right now but he one of the best of the rest and still is young, with alot of football left it would seem.
Old 03-04-2013   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I could name about half the league in guys I'd prefer but he's a good player. I also mean that there is nothing wrong with being just "good". He's a slot above JAG (just a guy) and a notch below the top tier players. "Starting caliber" player but isn't a ball hawk, doesn't have elite range or instincts, but does just about everything fairly well. I consider him above average in man coverage (unless covering very speedy wrs). Decent vs the run, but I think took some bad angles last year at times.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

I think there will be a team that's willing to pay him more than what he's capable of putting on the field. It happens every year, right?

Honestly, I'm not sure what his value is to the Texans. Like Vinny ( I think) said, Quin's an average joe as a player that might have decent coverage skills. It's just the fact that Manning and Quin have been the best Safety's we've had here that is raising Quin's worth to the fans.

I want Quin back, but surely not for the 6.9 tag amount. I might put a 3.5-4.5 value on him. What do you think?
Old 03-05-2013   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess the question is can we get starters for safety, OLB and WR2 in first four selections, if needed? You know by my post combine mock that I believe we can.
Old 03-05-2013   #20
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I guess the question is can we get starters for safety, OLB and WR2 in first four selections, if needed? You know by my post combine mock that I believe we can.
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Quin, Casey and/or Barwin test free agency only to come back to the Texans. Chris Myers did this last year and got a good deal from us while threatening to go to the Titans. It happens every year, and sometimes the Texans are the team hosting the guy that's trying to get more money from his old team.

I'm really glad that the NFL does free agency well before the draft, unlike the NBA. I think it makes a lot of sense, because it's much easier to fill holes through the draft than trying your luck in free agency.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read