Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-13-2013   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Lead NFL.......in RUNS on 3rd And Long

We've had a thread where we discussed the Texans "Three and Out Percentages." Now we can look at......

Quote:
RTC: Numbers on Texans 3rd-and-long runs
February, 12, 2013
Feb 12
10:55
AM ET
By Paul Kuharsky | ESPN.com

Houston Texans

The Texans faced 101 third-and-long situations. 23 of them were runs,” says Rivers McCown of Battle Red Blog. "That rate of 22% is nearly triple the league-average rate. A better way to say that? The Texans called nearly 9% of all third-and-long runs in the entire league last year."

To which I say: Great numbers here that really show Gary Kubiak’s unwillingness not just to take chances on third downs, but simply to throw. He really needs to self-evaluate in this area.
Is it Kubiak's "unwillingness" to pass on 3rd and long due to his own insecurity in taking chances in general........or is it a function of recognizing his QB's limitations?

This piece I present below is from 2009 ADVANCEDNFLSTATS.COM can add some comparative perspective to the 3rd and long subject. I would also have to keep in mind that in just the last couple of years, I believe that we have seen a distinct trending of most teams to lean more to the passing game than in the past.

Run-Pass Imbalance on 2nd and 3rd Downs
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #2
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Lead NFL.......in RUNS on 3rd And Long

No surprise on that one. Wonder how many attempted passes were short of first down marker.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
No surprise on that one. Wonder how many attempted passes were short of first down marker.
Short of the marker does not bother me as much as it does others. The defense knows where the first down marker is also. The problem for the Texans is that there are only two guys on offense where it is a reasonable bet for them to make a play based on thier skill to get to a first down Andre and Arian. Need more guys who can in some way make a play when the coverage dictates that the ball won't get the first down stick.
Old 02-13-2013   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we were also near the bottom in long passes attempted..not surprising given that we won a lot of games, our style of offense,
Lack of deep threats and the qb we roll out.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Short of the marker does not bother me as much as it does others. The defense knows where the first down marker is also. The problem for the Texans is that there are only two guys on offense where it is a reasonable bet for them to make a play based on thier skill to get to a first down Andre and Arian. Need more guys who can in some way make a play when the coverage dictates that the ball won't get the first down stick.
It bothers the hell out of me, and I'll tell you why: Defenses began to put heavier press coverage on a WR or TE who was at or just shy of the 1st down marker...and they rarely really bothered with the deeper receivers because they knew where Matt would go.

I started noticing on 3rd and long that we had a tendency to run only one WR or TE shallow and all others went deep...to draw coverage to them and free up the shallow man. But the better teams figured that out and started playing the shallow man a lot harder than they did the deeper receivers. I was sitting there and wondering if there was a pattern, and when it happened in the Patriots playoff game...I noticed it happening over and over again.

This QB has developed David Carr tendencies out of nowhere. This QB was a completely different QB the second half of the season (primarily after the two OT games we won). From that point forward, he really spiraled downward except for the away game at Tennessee. But then again, it was the TITANS.

Throw in a HC whom I think knows he's screwed and doesn't know how to get out of the corner he's painted himself and this entire team into, and it makes for a rough ending to the season.

Gary Kubiak is loyal, though. Matt Schaub will be the default starting QB come camp. Probably no competition for his spot. Gary will think he can maybe have a better year in 2013. In Gary's world, we just need one more shot.

Last edited by GP; 02-13-2013 at 10:17 AM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #6
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Predicting the run on 3rd and long became a consistent way to get a laugh from everyone in my local sports bar.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #7
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Predicting the run on 3rd and long became a consistent way to get a laugh from everyone in my local sports bar.
It's laughable & disgusting at the same time. Even my wife & a friend of her's while watching a game made a joke after a 3rd & long was announced "Here comes the run!", then they followed it up w/ "If we know they are fixing to run why wouldn't the other team?". That's a fair question that all I could do was shake my head at because low & behold...there came the run.

The sad predictability known as a Gary Kubiak run offense has it's moments where it equates to what I call....pee wee football. It is what it is & we are stuck w/ it for the near future.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2013   #8
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
short of the marker bothers me when schaub never hits a guy in stride and he's tackled immediately short of the marker. i blame the qb and playcaller. mainly the playcaller.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #9
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected

Just another testament to how much of an offensive guru kubiak is.

I still smdh when i think about the days everyone was calling kubiak an offensive guru.

Sad stuff.

We also probably lead the league or close to the top of 2nd and long running plays.

Those who called Kubiak an offensive guru, yall should slap yourselves in the face.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Well if Kubiak is a guru & we ran it on 3rd & long an inordinate number of times (which I know we did) then you'd have to think there was a reason. I'd like to know what that reason was, but most speculate that Kubiak is too conservative, or restricts Matt, or that Matt is shell-shocked.... & I just find those reasons hard to believe.

I don't believe that is the future of our offense. Hopefully, it is a thing of the past.
Old 02-13-2013   #11
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected

i really wish somebody would put up how often the texans ran on 2nd and long.

That is the real problem. When people ask why the texans are always in 3rd and long situations, its because they always run on 2nd and long situations and it always fails to pick yards hence we are always on 3rd and long situations with captain check down matt cotton sloth.

check the 2nd and long running play stats.

that's one of the main problems.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #12
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 87466 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
i really wish somebody would put up how often the texans ran on 2nd and long.

That is the real problem. When people ask why the texans are always in 3rd and long situations, its because they always run on 2nd and long situations and it always fails to pick yards hence we are always on 3rd and long situations with captain check down matt cotton sloth.

check the 2nd and long running play stats.

that's one of the main problems.
Arian Foster ....any stat imaginable

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits...7/arian-foster

Justin Forsett
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits...justin-forsett

Ben Tate
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits...13210/ben-tate

I wish there was a generic stat sheet but haven't found one yet
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69234 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well if Kubiak is a guru & we ran it on 3rd & long an inordinate number of times (which I know we did) then you'd have to think there was a reason. I'd like to know what that reason was, but most speculate that Kubiak is too conservative, or restricts Matt, or that Matt is shell-shocked.... & I just find those reasons hard to believe.

I don't believe that is the future of our offense. Hopefully, it is a thing of the past.
Or maybe just maybe

Wait for it

Wait for it

Matt was playing with a bum foot
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Matt was playing with a bum foot
I believe the dead arm thing more than the bum foot. I just didn't see it & I've watched the last games several times, at least once, paying special attention to his feet.
Old 02-13-2013   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69234 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I believe the dead arm thing more than the bum foot. I just didn't see it & I've watched the last games several times, at least once, paying special attention to his feet.
So you must have noticed that Matt wasn't stepping into his throws? Could that have had anything to do with his foot being hurt?

Or did somebody stick a rock in his sock every week?

After 10 yrs in the NFL Matt suddenly started having problems with his footwork. Do you think that could've been because he had one of the most debilitating injuries a football player regardless of position could possibly have?

Or maybe as you say Matts arm just cant hold up for a complete season. Either way the Texans need to find his heir apparent in the worst way. I mean Brees/Rodgers/Stafford etc....anyone with 2 healthy feet, even Peytons arms didn't fall off and they threw the ball considerably more than Matt did last yr.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #16
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Section: 119
Rep Power: 857 Steal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Just another testament to how much of an offensive guru kubiak is.

I still smdh when i think about the days everyone was calling kubiak an offensive guru.

Sad stuff.

We also probably lead the league or close to the top of 2nd and long running plays.

Those who called Kubiak an offensive guru, yall should slap yourselves in the face.
Even so ... we also "lead the league or close to the top" in wins.
Steal Your Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steal Your Face View Post
Even so ... we also "lead the league or close to the top" in wins.
Ah.... the good ol days, when that was all that matters.

Kubiak must be doing a great job now that expectations are much higher. We got a steal when we extended him. Hope to lock him up for a long time to come. Then they'll be complaining that we didn't run the score up while winning our first Super Bowl.
Old 02-13-2013   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 96950 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
We've had a thread where we discussed the Texans "Three and Out Percentages." Now we can look at......

Is it Kubiak's "unwillingness" to pass on 3rd and long due to his own insecurity in taking chances in general........or is it a function of recognizing his QB's limitations?

This piece I present below is from 2009 ADVANCEDNFLSTATS.COM can add some comparative perspective to the 3rd and long subject. I would also have to keep in mind that in just the last couple of years, I believe that we have seen a distinct trending of most teams to lean more to the passing game than in the past.

Run-Pass Imbalance on 2nd and 3rd Downs

Yes........

AND No!

To be honest, I didn't read the link. That said is there a chance (and you attorneys out there - you know who you are, might appreciate this) that it might be quite the opposite knowing these things:

A) The Texans are well aware of the league tendancies on 3rd and long
B) The Texans know that the league is well aware of league tendancies, and finally
C) The Texans have, if not the best RB in the league, one of the top 3 running backs in the league with Arian Foster.

IMO, the FAIL comes with Kubiak relying on the right side of the line which didn't always allow Arian Foster to do Arian Foster "things".
Old 02-13-2013   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 96950 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be curious as to the teams that the Texans played what their 'split' was on going for a pass on 3rd and long versus their season average, given JJ Watt et al as a consideration.

Seriously, that would be interesting to me at least.

+ sacks

= Baller!
Old 02-13-2013   #20
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 87466 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I'd be curious as to the teams that the Texans played what their 'split' was on going for a pass on 3rd and long versus their season average, given JJ Watt et al as a consideration.

Seriously, that would be interesting to me at least.

+ sacks

= Baller!
Here is Watts

1st down 11 sacks 1stf 7pd 2 ff
2nd down 3.5 sack 8stf 4pd 2 ff
3rd down 5 sacks 5 pd
4th down 1sack
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/13979/jj-watt
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read